Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Doppler $139.99 All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis dm3 Shop Now toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

don't have wi-fi, how do I get books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 29, 2011, 4:16:14 PM PST
Larry says:
I don't have wi-fi; how do I register, or set-up, my Kindle & get books by hooking-up directly to my computer?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011, 4:18:05 PM PST
What kind of kindle do you have?

Posted on Dec 29, 2011, 4:22:11 PM PST
Is there a way to send books to other kindle users?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011, 4:22:23 PM PST
AmeliaAT says:
If you have an e-ink Kindle (Touch, basic Kindle, Kindle Keyboard), you need to connect to Amazon wirelessly once in order to complete registration. You can do this at a friend's, at McDonald's, Starbuck's, some K-Marts, and any other places with public WiFi. If you got a 3G model of the Touch or Keyboard Kindle, you can use the 3G to do this.

After that, you can purchase or download your books by downloading them to your PC & using the USB cable to sideload them to your K. If you are purchasing from Amazon, be sure to choose "download and transfer to" the device, since the books are almost all protected by DRM, and are device-specific.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011, 4:22:30 PM PST
AuntOh says:
Before setting up my wireless router, I went to Starbucks, McDonalds, or Corner Bakery.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011, 4:23:09 PM PST
Dragi Raos says:
Here is the relevant help page for Touch:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200730150

You will easily google similar pages for other models.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011, 4:29:43 PM PST
Dragi Raos says:
Kindle devices and programs registered to the same account share all Amazon-bought content. Publishers allow some books (perhaps half or one in three) to be lent to unrelated Kindle users, once, for a period of 14 days. Books obtained from other sources are not DRM-protected, and can technically be shared without limit; however, check whether it is legal (out of copyright books, those explicitly put in public domain or licensed under some of Creative Commons licenses may be freely shared).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011, 4:38:24 PM PST
Beth says:
If they have a public wishlist you can look in their profile and send a book off this list. If you know their Amazon email you can send them any book you want. Just click the gift this book button below the buy and deliver to my kindle button.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011, 4:41:25 PM PST
Dragi Raos says:
Thanks, Beth, for adding this. I completely forgot about Kindle books as gifts :o)

Posted on Jun 22, 2013, 5:59:39 PM PDT
E. Zelasko says:
why isn't my amazon purchased book being delivered to my kindle touch? I don't have wi-fi right now and am trying to deliver to my kindle using the USB cable. On the Manage my Kindle page, I chose to download and deliver to my kindle using the USB but it's not working!! when i choose download, it seems like it's worked, but then when i hook up the kindle via the USB cable, the book is no where on my computer. HELP!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2013, 6:06:08 PM PDT
When you say the book is not on your computer, how do you know? That is, where are you looking and what are you looking for? Book files aren't named by their title, so they can be a bit tricky to find.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2013, 6:10:10 PM PDT
E. Zelasko says:
the instructions say to look in the drive created by the USB port (on my computer, it's the J: drive). there's nothing in there except the default stuff...no downloaded book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2013, 6:20:23 PM PDT
It's probably in the downloads folder of your web browser. If you're running Windows, look for a "downloads" folder.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2013, 6:29:11 PM PDT
Is the J: drive the one your kindle is hooked up to? It won't be there. In fact, it won't be in any drive that's allocated to a USB port; it'll be on the hard drive. (Could well be in My Downloads.)

I personally find it best to create a folder to save these books to, because otherwise they *are* hard to find. There are two searches you can try. First is to search for files with azw in the file name. That should bring up any Amazon books you've downloaded via USB if you've kept a copy on the drive. Second is to search for the particular book file. Go back to the book's product page on Amazon. Look at the URL (all the http... stuff). Reading along that you should see a bit that says /dp/ and then a string of about 8-9 characters beginning with a B (up to, but not including, the next slash). That'll be the file name. Copy that, and go to your computer's search option. Type that into the space for the file name, and search. That should find it.

Either way, make a note of which folder it default-saved to, so you know in future.

Posted on Jun 23, 2013, 5:25:23 AM PDT
E. Zelasko says:
ok, i've searched my computer everywhere; there apparently are no downloads. i searched both of the ways you suggested and the searches have come up empty. i've made sure my virus protection software allows it, but it's still not downloading. what else can i do? the Manage my Kindle page doesn't give me an option of where to save the download to, so how can i have the download saved to a certain place?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2013, 5:32:42 AM PDT
PeepDittie says:
What browser are you using? You might try Firefox, then when the download is complete you can go right to the folder location.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2013, 6:54:58 AM PDT
If the computer doesn't offer you the option when downloading, all you can do is move the downloaded file to your dedicated folder immediately afterwards.

I agree with Dittie - try another browser next. Internet Explorer has some known compatibility issues with the Amazon website; sometimes things just don't work with it.

One question - is this the first time you've tried the download via USB, or have you been able to do it successfully previously?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2013, 7:07:40 AM PDT
MikeJW says:
E. Zalasko: you might want to contact Kindle customer service and have them walk you through the process. I'm sure, once you've done it successfully, you will be set for the future. Start with the help link at the top center of this page, although you might want to wait for Pacific coast business hours tomorrow.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2013, 4:13:26 AM PDT
E. Zelasko says:
yes, this is the first time. i have wi-fi at work and have been using that, but didn't get a chance this week so i thought i'd try downloading and using the USB cable to get the book on my kindle.

Posted on Jun 24, 2013, 4:15:09 AM PDT
E. Zelasko says:
thanks for the suggestions. i'll have the kindle support team walk me through the process. it really isn't a feasible suggestion to another browser at this point.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2013, 5:12:42 AM PDT
Ok, so it's not that it's worked in the past and something's gone wrong.

Customer support are usually awesomely helpful, but if for some reason they can't get you going, come back and let us know. It's quite possibly something fairly simple that's not working.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Amazon Echo (Part 2) 481 39 seconds ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks IV 2163 18 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 2016 2258 30 minutes ago
free books & chat - june 2017 (fb&c) 738 41 minutes ago
We're Quirky! There Are Various Critters, Including Tail-less Manx Kittens, Here. We Also Have Hugh Manatee. Bring Your Quilting And Sewing Projects, Your Camera, And Your Instant Pot. So Geese And Tally Ho! 2262 47 minutes ago
Connecting to a new router 3 1 hour ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 7762 1 hour ago
Multiple Amazon Echos 176 1 hour ago
lost kindle library 29 1 hour ago
87th RAOK Let the winter fun begin! 9481 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Dec 29, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers