Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Transfer to Archive

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 26, 2013, 1:06:37 PM PDT
I download Kindle books onto my Samsung Galaxy Tablet. How do I transfer them to the Archive after I have read them? So far O have only succeeded in removing them completely and permanently.

Posted on May 26, 2013, 1:14:53 PM PDT
If you have removed the books completely and permanently, then you deleted them from the Manage Your Kindle page, and the books no longer belong to you. If you remove them from the device, and the book is from Amazon, then it should now be in your Archives. You may have to sync first, though. Have you connected via wi-fi since you deleted the books?

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2013, 1:17:23 PM PDT
PeepDittie says:
The archive is nothing more than a list of e-books belonging to the account that aren't on a particular device, thus, were there two or more devices in the equation, one's archive may not match that of another device. To send them to the archive of one device, then, simply delete it from the device. Do not delete it from the Manage Your Kindle page.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2013, 1:18:00 PM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
John, removing books from device *will* transfer them to archive/clous (actually, they are in cloud all the time, it's just that the device does not list them there if they are also downloaded locally).

Cloud/archive is Amazon storage linked to your account. All your books are there all the time. You can see them by going to https://amazon.com/myk page; this page is also the only place from which you can delete a book permanently (although I see no reason for doing that). Cloud folder/tab on your reader just lists those books in your possession not currently download to device. So, when you remove a book from your device, it will show in Cloud again; tap it there and it will (re)download, showing now in Device folder/tab.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2013, 2:38:15 PM PDT
Thanks Susan. I have just removed an unimportant book that I haven't yet read by clickicking on the 'Remove Items' link, but it hasn't re-appeared in 'Archived Items'. I have connected to wi-fi and synced, but it's still not there.
Are you saying that if I had clicked on the book image and then on 'Remove From Device' instead, it would have gone to 'Archived Items' ? All my downloaded books are from Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2013, 2:43:12 PM PDT
Thanks Dittee. I am struggling with the concept here. I have just answered Susan's post as follows. Does this tie in with your advice?

"Thanks Susan. I have just removed an unimportant book that I haven't yet read by clickicking on the 'Remove Items' link, but it hasn't re-appeared in 'Archived Items'. I have connected to wi-fi and synced, but it's still not there.
Are you saying that if I had clicked on the book image and then on 'Remove From Device' instead, it would have gone to 'Archived Items' ? All my downloaded books are from Amazon."

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2013, 2:50:28 PM PDT
Thanks Dragi. In my ignorance, I think I may have permanently deleted the book by clickicking on the 'Remove Items' link instead of clicking on the book image and then on 'Remove From Device'.

Does this make sense? All my downloaded books are from Amazon, but I don't see a Cloud folder/tab on my Samsung Galaxy.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2013, 11:01:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 26, 2013, 11:03:49 PM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
John, I don't have Kindle for Android, so I was describing how others work.

Screenshot on Google Play is somewhat confusing:
https://lh3.ggpht.com/dBJLBkc5CSCRPGXCpxtB1RbzeOCKkYm9A6T_8jO1WixUWfpB7fpToVO64vTMGhMrNas

I think that "All Items" will show everything in your Cloud, downloaded or not. Try selecting that. Downloaded items will be distinguished visually - they will probably have a checkmark on them (the previous approach was that items *not* downloaded had a cloud symbol on them).

The sure way to see what is in your library/archive/cloud is to go to https://amazon.com/myk page. If the book is not there, you managed to delete it. On all other Kindles the only way to delete a book permamanently was from https://amazon.com/myk page. The different wording you mention indicates that perhaps "Remove from Device" now means what we think it does - "return to archive", but that "Remove Items" indeed removes them for good. If this is the case, then it is a recent behavior change.

I suggest that you experiment with a freebie - there is no shortage of them. Buy it from Web selecting "Cloud Reader" as your target - that way it will not be downloaded to your Galaxy. Then see in which view you do see it on your tablet, and how it is visually distinguished from downloaded books. Then download it; next, "Remove from Device", re-download, "Remove Item". After each step verify in which view you can see it from the tablet, and in which not. After removals see in MYK is it still there in the Cloud.

A apologize if my earlier answer based on up to now standard behavior turns out to be wrong. Let us know what you found out.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Removing Lockscreen Ads Kindle Fire HD 215 2 minutes ago
How to find bookmarks on kindle paperwhite 38 14 minutes ago
We're Quirky! There Are Various Critters, Including Tail-less Manx Kittens, Here. We Also Have Hugh Manatee. Bring Your Quilting And Sewing Projects, Your Camera, And Your Instant Pot. So Geese And Tally Ho! 2983 22 minutes ago
Amazon Prime For Hawaii and Alaska?????? 317 23 minutes ago
Kindle Unlimited vs Prime Reading 12 25 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The Answers Are Blowing In The Wind 5713 34 minutes ago
iCloud in kindle fire? 28 37 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 6138 42 minutes ago
What browser does Kindle Fire use? 43 57 minutes ago
Kindle paperwhite cannot connect to my home wifi!! 725 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  May 26, 2013
Latest post:  May 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers