Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Student use

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 30, 2013 12:57:56 PM PDT
Larry says:
I'm a grad student taking online courses. I need to download articles and chapters of books from the college library. I am also an avid reader of mystery novels which Kindle would be best for this use? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2013 1:14:49 PM PDT
seedlady says:
you could look up the articles, and see which kindle they would work on. mysteries can be read on any kindle.

if you want to read in color, you need a fire. if b&w is fine, the actual kindles would work.

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 1:30:52 PM PDT
Larry says:
Thanks. The college library has ebooks and journals that can be downloaded and I'm wondering if the Kindle has formats that these can be read from. I think the Kindle Fire HD can but how about the basic kindles?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2013 2:17:51 PM PDT
B. Marks says:
You need to find out what those formats are or it's hard to help you.

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2013 2:35:07 PM PDT
Larry - You can't download anything from the web directly onto any Kindles except the Fires. And if you ever want to buy or rent textbooks, you also need a Fire.

Supported File Types:
Your Kindle Fire device will only recognize the files you've transferred if:

The file is a supported file type.
Files are free of digital rights management (DRM) software.

The following types of files are supported by your Kindle Fire:

Documents: AZW, TXT,PDF, MOBI, PRC, DOC, DOCX
Audio supported within Music: MP3, Non-DRM AAC (.m4a), MIDI, OGG, WAV
Video: MP4

Notes:

Mobipocket files that have Digital Rights Management (DRM) protection applied can't be read on your Kindle Fire.

EPUB eBooks are not supported on Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2013 3:15:16 PM PDT
Sarida says:
Larry,

Check with your library to see what formats they use. They can also tell you which devices will support those formats.

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 4:04:24 PM PDT
Doc and Docx are not supported by the Kindle app. They are only supported by apps that support Word documents. You can also send Doc and Docx files to the Amazon conversion service via email.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2013 4:28:57 PM PDT
You can buy & rent textbooks using a Kindle Keyboard, Pineapple.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2013 4:49:25 PM PDT
Kindle eTextbooks:
Save up to 60% when you buy etextbooks and up to 80% when you rent. Kindle eTextbooks can be read on Kindle Fire, the Kindle app for iPad, Android tablets, PC, or Mac.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Textbooks/b/ref=amb_link_375224922_43?ie=UTF8&node=2223210011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=0G058W05PHGKP8GQP2VT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1588002442&pf_rd_i=154606011

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2013 4:52:29 PM PDT
MaryB says:
Doc and Docx, as well as pdf, read fine if you convert them to MOBI using Caliber, a free program that converts various document types.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2013 5:02:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2013 5:04:20 PM PDT
SavageLove says:
Would these articles have pictures in them? Are they PDFs? If they are PDFs and there are pictures, then the Fire would be your best bet because you can zoom with it.

If not, then I'm reconmend the e-reader Kindle. You can put the articles in a word document and then use Mobi-pocket e-book creator to turn the word document into an e-book that you can then upload to the Kindle via Calibre (I think you can do this to the Fire too, but I'm not sure). I've downloaded e-books from my school's library and rented books from Amazon with my Kindle Keyboard. I have also put notes into a word document and made it into an e-book which I uploaded to my Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2013 5:34:56 PM PDT
Well that's weird. Both my KKs show up in the list of devices to download to under the "rent this book with 1-click" option; why would that be if you can't deliver to them?

(I haven't actually tried it, since I've always been able to get the books I'm interested in renting cheaper elsewhere.)

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 9:00:26 PM PDT
Larry says:
Thanks All for your advice/suggestions! Larry

Posted on Jul 31, 2013 6:33:22 AM PDT
As others have mentioned, the most important consideration is which format(s) are supported by your college library. However, another important consideration is that even if the format is supported on a particular device, how well does it actually display? For example, e-ink Kindles support pdf but they generally don't display very well because of the small, 6" screen size. Likewise, charts, maps and other graphics frequently don't display well on e-ink models.

A 7" Fire or Fire HD will give you better contrast and resolution as well as full color graphics. Nevertheless, the screen is still too small to display full page pdf's and articles and frequently requires zooming, scrolling and panning on each individual page in order to read it. This is a slow, awkward process and would drive me crazy if I had to do much of it.

For these reasons, a larger screen tablet is probably a better choice. Which one depends on format support by your library. iPads are still the most commonly supported tablets for academic use. A Fire HD 8.9 is a good choice if the library material is available in PDF, Kindle or mobi format. Lastly, if epub format is supported and cost is an important consideration, you may want to take a look at the Nook HD+. Barnes and Noble is getting out of the tablet business and is selling their remaining Nook HD inventory at almost a 50% discount. The large screen 9" Nook HD+ is currently priced at $149, well below the price for the Fire HD 8.9.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 6760 1 second ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 5858 1 minute ago
only two days till new Gamache 5 4 minutes ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 4466 6 minutes ago
How to increase download speed on kindle fire hd 8.9" 22 8 minutes ago
Can't find audiobook transferred to Kindle Fire (5th gen) 2 16 minutes ago
Potentially Perky People - Part Deux 7926 18 minutes ago
Check e-book delivery remotely? 1 20 minutes ago
3M Cloud Library and Kindle Paperwhite 241 24 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 156 25 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Jul 30, 2013
Latest post:  Jul 31, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions