Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Tall Heights Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Amazon Prime For Hawaii and Alaska??????

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 165 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2011 1:01:07 AM PST
Jonny Hooks says:
Where's the love, No prime for us two lonely states that are not contiguous. How can Amazon leave two whole states out of their streaming video option.
Maybe Amazon should offer us a lower priced version of prime without the free 2 day shipping, or make it like $5 two day shipping.
I know i can't be the only one upset over this.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 1:13:09 AM PST
Jonny Hooks says:
Via Amazons help page:

United States only:
Prime instant videos are only available to Amazon Prime members with Amazon.com who are located in the United States. Currently, Amazon Prime shipping benefits are not available in Alaska and Hawaii

Last I checked Alaska and Hawaii are part of the united states.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 1:44:39 AM PST
Carbonbased says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2011 4:10:12 AM PST
so Hawaii and Alaska get Prime streaming but not Prime shipping.
With the shipping cost to those states being astronomical compared to shipping within the lower 48, that's quite reasonable.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2011 4:16:42 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 15, 2012 11:04:25 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 4:36:52 AM PST
Johnny Hooks, I understand your dilemma. As someone who splits time between the mainland and being on island, it's a bummer not to have Amazon streaming. We use our Netflix streaming.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 12:40:27 AM PST
Jonny Hooks says:
Nope, no streaming available. Can't even sign up for prime if you live in the outcast states.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 12:42:24 AM PST
Jonny Hooks says:
Hmmm 8 dollars a month for netflix equals 96 per year, how it that cheaper that prime? Maybe do the math before calling people names.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 12:43:45 AM PST
Jonny Hooks says:
Yes i to use netflix currently, but i really would like to be able to change that.

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 1:42:51 PM PST
P. Helto says:
I live in hawaii and I think this sucks. I would like the streaming option and the ability to borrow books but since they don't extend the 2nd day shipping to Hawaii I don't think I should have to pay $80 a year to get the streaming or borrowing services. As stated by Jonny, i can't even sign up for the service if I wanted to because it will flag my account based on address.

I would be more than willing to pay for a separate "kindle prime" account, a prime account to get all the kindle fire features without the additional shipping service, that we can't use, rolled into it.

Come on amazon.

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 4:00:04 PM PST
Is there a work around? I just want to be able to sign up for amazon prime to use the kindle fire book checkout for my children ... I am in Alaska so it won't allow me to sign up for prime. I am sure once I sign up that if I order books to Alaska I'll pay the normal expensive shipping but I wouldnt want to go through the trouble only to have them cancel the account and lose my kindle books? Can I use grandma's address in the lower 48 to sign up and download books? Anyone know? Thanks a bunch...

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 4:01:29 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 10, 2011 4:02:02 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2011 5:05:30 PM PST
You are incorrect. SOME shipping costs are the same to and from Hawaii as they are to anywhere else in the country. We ship USPS from Hawaii to the mainland at 1/2 the cost of FedEx. If people would try to ship via USPS Flat rate, many of the shipments would be quite inexpensive.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 5:35:07 PM PST
I have prime. And I feel very upset since I just moved to Hawaii and the shipping cost is now twice the cost of the item I'm trying to buy.

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 6:52:08 AM PST
Diana says:
I've had prime since the first year Amazon launched it and they used to extend the free shipping to Alaska. I know because my little bro lives in Anchorage and I have been buying all his gifts from Amazon because of the free shipping. This year I about had a heart attack when I finished picking out gifts and saw my shipping bill, yikes!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2011 6:54:55 AM PST
Diana says:
I'm betting that would work so long as grandma is on board with it. You ought to contact Amazon directly for help, if enough people do that maybe they will create another "prime" tier for AL & HA.

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 10:42:50 AM PST
Daniel Davis says:
Very annoying. Here it is Christmas, all the ads are telling me that I can ship by Christmas with my prime account - but they fail to mention that I can't ship to hawaii that way, where everyone is I want to ship to.

Time to cancel my prime membership.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2011 1:17:39 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 27, 2011 1:21:15 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 4:58:02 PM PST
John Kim says:
Oh wow, I'm a Prime member and I just bought something and was able to ship it to Hawaii with free standard shipping! I wonder if this would work for Alaska (or somewhere like Puerto Rico?) as well...

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 2:37:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2012 2:38:59 PM PST
Aloha Girl says:
Hey, I just re-checked the amazon prime shipping benefits because I got and email that my amazon mom discounts for diapers would expire if I don't join Amazon prime.. and it appears that it now includes free standard shipping for Hawaii and Alaska residents and upgraded shipping for $6.99 and $12.99 respectively. See link below. This must be a recent change because I don't recall this before.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_cn?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200444160

Has anyone from Hawaii tried this?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2012 3:37:15 PM PST
J. Roberts says:
Not yet - but if it's true... YIPPEE! I'm going to check it out and will post here. mahalo!!

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 11:07:16 AM PST
Alaska says:
Guess I will check it out also! I live in Anchorage...oh this is great if its true!

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 11:23:57 AM PST
It just went into effect not too long ago. I remember either seeing it on the site, or getting an email about it.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 11:34:03 AM PST
Alaska says:
I just signed up and happy to say its working! I am watching prime video on my KindleFire and just tried the Prime shipping and here are my options-- (Not bad shipping prices if I needed the item earlier- seeing as it was a pretty heavy item --cast iron wok)
Choose your shipping speed:
FREE Standard Shipping (3-7 business days)
$6.99/item Expedited Shipping --get it Wednesday, February 15
$12.99/item Priority Shipping --get it tomorrow Tuesday, February 14

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 4:59:36 PM PDT
Davepl says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Amazon Echo (no invite questions) 7309 56 seconds ago
Can't get magazine delivered to laptop 8 1 minute ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 5663 2 minutes ago
I want to MOVE a book to a collection 5 12 minutes ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 4374 16 minutes ago
Hiding books from other family Kindle devices possible?? 156 16 minutes ago
How to transfer large non-Amazon .mobi file to Kindle on iPad? 34 16 minutes ago
Page Numbers vs. Locations = Decision to Buy Kindle or Not 1924 18 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 100 20 minutes ago
how to stop amazon photos posting to Facebook 0 23 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  85
Total posts:  165
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2011
Latest post:  1 day ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 19 customers

Search Customer Discussions