Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

PDF file downloads as PHP

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 31, 2012 6:32:34 PM PST
ros2004 says:
I am subscribed to a crochet magazine and am trying to download it to my Kindle Fire HD. On the PC, it downloads fine as a PDF file. But on the Kindle, it downloads as a PHP and won't open with Acrobat Reader or Kindle. Anybody know what's going on?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 6:42:12 PM PST
flipoid says:
If you have the PDF file on your PC already, use the "SEND TO KINDLE" (you can find the instructions in the Help section of Amazon's website) function to send the PDF to your Fire, or you could connect your Kindle Fire HD to your computer and drag the PDF file from your computer to your Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 6:52:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 6:57:38 PM PST
ros2004 says:
Thank you for this tip!

I ended up emailing it to myself and now I can open it from my email on my Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 6:53:29 PM PST
flipoid says:
You're welcome--I hope you can get the PDF on your Kindle Fire. (-:

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 8:37:43 AM PST
AugustFalcon says:
My guess is that you are downloading the link and not the actual file. Files ending in .php are actual computer language instructions telling the web server to do something, e.g., in this case to download a different file. Your PC browser knows what to do with the link, your Fire doesn't. Your Fire should attempt to open the link not save it

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 1:06:45 PM PST
ros2004 says:
You are right - it downloaded the link, not the file itself. I thought maybe it was because I didn't have the Acrobat Reader installed when I tried to download it but it's still doing the same thing after I had installed Reader, restarted, cleared cache, etc.
I was able to email the low-res version of the the PDF file and open it that way. However, I don't know why the Kindle Fire won't download it directly or what I can do to make it work in the future. Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 2:26:11 PM PST
AugustFalcon says:
It just might be a Silk browser issue, so you could perhaps try another browser (if there is one available).

A quick Google search turned up two: Chrome and Dolphin HD (if your Fire is an HD)

Here's a link to an article discussing 7 alternate browsers:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2012/01/07/seven-alternate-web-browsers-for-kindle-fire-amazon-silk-needs-work/

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 3:00:21 PM PST
flipoid says:
My suggestion to download the regular PDF that works on your computer should work. If the resolution of the original PDF is fine, then you can sideload it (drag and drop it) to your Fire when the Fire is attached to your computer.

If you want an actual Kindle version of the file, email it to your Kindle email address (found in the Devices section of the Manage Your Kindle page) with the subject Convert. Nothing else, just the word Convert.

That'll send a Kindle version of the file to your Fire over wi-fi. There's no charge for this service as long as you don't use 3G to get the file. One caution, though, is that if the PDF is complicated (multiple columns, pictures, etc.), the formatting in the Kindle conversion might be a bit messed up.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 4:51:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 4:53:51 PM PST
ros2004 says:
Thank you, AugustFalcon, that might be worth a try.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 4:54:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 5:46:35 PM PST
ros2004 says:
Thanks, Flipoid. I'll try the convert just to see how it looks.

Update: Okay, from my PC, I emailed the pdf to my kindle account. However, I can't figure out how to receive it! Do I have to set up the kindle account in email? I tried, but it was asking for an incoming and outgoing server etc. I didn't have to do any of that for my comcast accounts.

Update 2: Never mind. I was notified that my document has been archived in my library. It doesn't look too bad.

Thanks again for the tips!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Dec 31, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions