Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc  Trolls Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Halloween Amazon Cash Back Offer Dressmaker Dressmaker Dressmaker  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle memory full??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 2, 2011 7:31:39 AM PST
L.Davis says:
I just got my kindle for Christmas and have less than 24 books. When I tried adding a bookmark, it said that the memory was full and to try removing item from home? I tried deleting stuff and nothing worked.. finally hooked it up to my laptop and for whatever reason, it now lets me add bookmarks. Any idea why this happened and what I should do if it happens again? I couldn't find anything about it in the kindle guide (which I refer back to often!)

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 7:33:39 AM PST
R. Grace says:
Did you maybe download non-book items to your Kindle? Both music MP3s and audio books will contribute to the space used on the Kindle. How much free space does/did it say you have when you press the Menu button on the home screen?

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 7:35:22 AM PST
D. Figueroa says:
Unless you have a large amount of mp3s and audio books on your Kindle, you shouldn't be out of memory. It's designed to hold about 3,000 books. I have had over 900 on my K2 and it never ran out of memory. You should try a restart and if that doesn't work, call
CS for a replacement.

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 7:39:21 AM PST
L.Davis says:
No MP3s or audiobooks.. just ebooks

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 7:50:09 AM PST
Joe says:
How much free space does it say you have (press menu and look at top of the screen).

It may also just be a glitch, these can 99% of the time be cleared by doing a restart via menu > settings > menu > restart

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 7:54:54 AM PST
Beth Linton says:
I push menu on my screen and do not see how much space I have, what am I doing wrong?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2011 7:55:43 AM PST
L.Davis says:
3,040 MB free. I did a full restart twice and it didn't resolve the problem. It wasn't until I hooked it up to my computer that it seemed to let me add bookmarks. I have that $35 leather cover... wonder if that is contributing to the problem? I have had a few gliches.... random restarts, not letting me delete from my home screen.... I LOVE my kindle, but right now, it's kickin my butt!

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 7:56:23 AM PST
Caro says:
I agree with some the others do a restart first.

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 8:00:41 AM PST
You have the Kindle hinged leather cover? I think that's been recalled. Just search these Kindle discussions...I know there was a whole thread on this subject a short while ago.

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 8:07:46 AM PST
Lexi M. says:
I have had my k2 do this. Restart. If that doesn't fix it call cs. They are wonderful

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2011 8:24:24 AM PST
flipoid says:
Laura, I would definitely call Kindle Customer Service and tell them your issues, and also tell them that you have the NON-lighted Amazon cover. They should be able to help you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2011 8:28:41 AM PST
Joe says:
<<I push menu on my screen and do not see how much space I have, what am I doing wrong? .>

Beth, are you looking at the top of the screen when you do that rather than in the menu box itself ?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2011 8:30:14 AM PST
Joe says:
<<I have that $35 leather cover.>>

Take that off, THEN do a restart. Then see what its like for a day or three. Sound like typical non-lighted cover problems.

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 4:21:53 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 15, 2012 5:21:20 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 4:52:33 PM PDT
Beth Sexton says:
Krishna, there are two memory areas on the Kindle. The one that stores the books which is comparable to a PC's hard drive and the RAM memory which works like the RAM memory on your computer.

I think your RAM memory may be full (indexing books and surfing the web can fill it up fast).

Try holding down or sliding (depending on your model) the power button and hold for 30 seconds. This should reboot your Kindle and clear out the RAM memory. You will not lose your books but it may take a short time for them to display again.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2012 5:33:10 PM PDT
KS says:
Thanks, Beth. Unfortunately, that didn't do the trick. Even after rebooting, it gives the same message. I am currently waiting at an Argenean airport to catch a plane to Chile. Maybe, I will wait till I get back to the U.S & let someone younger monkey with it. Once again, thanks for taking time to respond. Take care!

Posted on Jul 1, 2014 1:07:52 AM PDT
lorrianeS says:
HELP!!! I have 2012 Kindle Fire (1st) My storage is is full. 'Others' has taken up 4.5 GB of 5.6 GB of space available. I can do NOTHING!!! 'Wifi operation and USB file transfer are disabled until storage space is available'. I have deleted what I can but need a wifi connection to try out Clean master or similar How can I download, this is a pain

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2014 1:11:21 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
go into your web tab and purge your cache
go into settings - applications, and you should be able to clear data from apps there one by one
go into your web tab again, and clear out downloads (menu option)

these should halp a lot or at least enough to be able to download the app and let it finish - however, if you've deleted items via the usb cable, that space will not be freed up (kindle OS and file allocation table equivalent do not know you removed items)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2014 3:01:55 AM PDT
lorrianeS says:
Thankyou, I tried this and had a little space but still not enough to download Cleanmaster and no internet connection, after 2 hours i have given up and restored to factory settings, but have downloaded cleanmaster before I begin the task of downloading everything again

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2014 3:12:27 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
excellent and remember to keep a tidy house (kindle) after that as it prevents these snafus

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2014 3:36:52 AM PDT
The only "space available" place on this Kindke, is in the folders file for photos... you tap on hat ladder looking thing on the bottom of a photo, generally if you are loading a photo, and it tells you how much CLOUD space is left.... I think if you go to the top, and drag that down...and then check the icon on the far Right.says: MISC.....you can then click on DEVICE... go to the setting that says. STORAGE... YOU WILL FIND SPACE AMOUNTS THERE.... but it is slow.... so be prepared to wait....

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2014 4:51:33 AM PDT
lorrianeS says:
Cheers!

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 6:06:32 PM PST
I just ordered an eBook and my kindle said its full. I went to the content manager, tagged a page full but where does it all go if I remove content? Also the book I ordered shows up in manager but not on my home page???

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2015 6:31:27 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
are you saying you removed books from the Manage Your Content and Devices page on amazon.com? If so, removing books from there does not take them off your kindle and is the equivalent of throwing them in the garbage can - they are gone forever

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2015 11:04:09 PM PDT
Rosscoe says:
Thanks, Beth. Holding down the start button for 30 seconds worked for me.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Poor customer service 79 2 minutes ago
Free Books & Chat - September 2016 584 4 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The Answers Are Blowing In The Wind 1871 9 minutes ago
My Kindle touch wouldn't turn on now won't turn off 0 12 minutes ago
I can't find my password 1 23 minutes ago
Deactivating the voice commands on my kindle fire 18 32 minutes ago
Kindle Fire USB port 525 35 minutes ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 5970 41 minutes ago
Lending library books 4 45 minutes ago
Can you connect a Kindle Fire HD to TV/DVD Player 119 47 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Jan 2, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 2, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers