Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

tts

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 7, 2013, 1:35:04 PM PDT
i know there is a ton of topics on this but most date back to a year ago

-i would like to change to voice is there any updated info on this?

it seams to be a subject that bugs a lot of users

Kindle fire 8.9

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2013, 1:39:00 PM PDT
There is no way to change the TTS voice on a Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2013, 1:44:58 PM PDT
shannon - Do you want to turn on TTS or change the voice? To turn it on, while in a book, tap the center of the screen and tap on the Aa icon in the top menu bar to turn it on. You may have to tap on "options".

Posted on Aug 7, 2013, 1:46:13 PM PDT
so... stuck with the annoying lady. awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2013, 2:05:29 PM PDT
Artist says:
Older Kindles had a choice between an annoying man or an annoying woman. You could try audio books if you want professional narration.

Posted on Aug 8, 2013, 12:40:55 AM PDT
Jay says:
The TTS on the Keyboard lets you make the robotic voice more masculine, or more feminine, and to speed it up, or slow it down, somewhat. That is all. I don't know if the Fires even do that much. If your Kindle has audio capability, and a pleasing voice read matters to you, why bother with TTS? Get audible books, which will cost a bit but have real human voices.

Posted on Aug 8, 2013, 2:52:17 AM PDT
Paxton says:
I am quite amazed with the fact that TTS exists at all. It was helpful with the man's voice on the KK, and the woman's voice on the Fire I think is amazing. The fact that I can "read" while on a commute is fantastic. That ability to get in extra reading makes the minor mis-pronunciations quite acceptable to me.

Posted on Aug 8, 2013, 8:16:07 AM PDT
most of the books i read dont have narration option i just wanted something that read more smoothly pulse the voice seams irritated to me

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2013, 12:20:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2013, 12:21:15 PM PDT
Artist says:
TTS is a program, not a person reading the book. The person read a list of words into the program, and the program puts the words together as it scans the text of the book.

As I suggested, look into audio books if you want the book read to you by a professional. www.audible.com Audio books have no text at all.

Edited for clarity.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2013, 12:22:46 PM PDT
Bixillarla says:
Erin, on the Fire you can adjust the speed from .7x up to 4x.

1x is normal speed.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2013, 12:39:09 PM PDT
I find it easier to know WHAT it's mispronouncing, beforehand. If I try to start a new book on TTS, some of the quirky pronounciations make me scratch my head.

St. is "street" when it should be "saint". "Maximum" means the name, "Max". Things like that. I was reading City of Silence, and had to just accept the many repeatings of "Street Petersburg".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2013, 2:10:48 PM PDT
B. Marks says:
Actually that's not how TTS works. I used to write drivers for early speech synthesis chips and the chip creates the sound you hear based on the phonemes it's given. All the sound is purely computer generated.

My drivers had to convert printed text into phonemes for the chip and I did a lot of playing with the various effects.

That was a long time ago and I was never an expert on speech synthesis. I was a systems level programer. The stuff I wrote didn't sound nearly as good as the worst of today's TTS, which is written by experts on speech synthesis and using much better technology. I did this with some of the very early speech chips and no-one really knew how to do this properly yet and whatever results I could get from it were acceptable.

I worked for a company that provided stock quotes to subscribers over the phone. That was before anybody heard of the internet, although it did exist then. Things have changed a little. :)

Purely as a matter of interest I've made it a point to try to hear the state of the art in synthesized speech about once a year or two ever since. I haven't really dealt with this kind of programming since the early to mid 1980's but I've enjoyed watching it improve. And what a difference...especially in the last few years.

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2013, 2:45:01 PM PDT
Artist says:
Probably now, yes, but I'm still stuck with the K2 and KK so I forget that there's been progress. I remember being told that it was a person reading a list of words when I got my K2 three years ago.

Bufo Calvin would know about this. Let's hope he/she sees it and responds.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2013, 6:06:57 PM PDT
B. Marks says:
Okay but this really is something I know about. I'm not guessing at how it works. I had to do considerable study to learn how to write drivers for it. I had to learn how to convert text into phonemes even though up till that time I'm not sure I even knew what phonemes were. :)

There is no person inside those tiny chips. And there are no recorded words. The chip knows how to produce a sound that resembles each of the 42 sounds that make up the English language. That's what the electronics do. Programming determines how to turn the letters in the text we read into phonemes. That's a tricky thing to do and even today it's not perfected.

Of course I'm pretty out of date and it might easily be that today the electronics, the hardware, the chips, are doing more than they were when I was doing this. But I'm sure the basic principles still hold. The chip can produce 42 sounds and it's up to the software and firmware to decide what sounds make up each word.

It's also possible that the phonemes they use are recorded now. I don't know. They weren't when I was doing this and it seems like it might be difficult to do that, but maybe so.

In any case it's not recorded words that are being used.

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2013, 7:18:42 PM PDT
Artist says:
Calm down, Barry. I never thought there were tiny people inside the chips. No need to be so insulting. I said I was out of the loop technologically.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2013, 4:27:11 AM PDT
Paxton says:
Barry - that's actually incorrect. For the Kindle Keyboard, an actual person DID read the words - his name is Tom Glynn and you can read more about him at http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2009/04/kindle-2s-voice-reads-personalized.html.

The Kindle Fire HD uses software from Vonage for the female voice - I don't know whether that's completely computer-generated or if a human is involved. But her voice is quite good. Samples can be heard at Vonage.com - the American voice the Fire uses is "Salli".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2013, 8:22:32 AM PDT
B. Marks says:
I never intended to be insulting. I was trying to be humorous. I didn't really think you were saying there were tiny people in the chips. It never occurred to me that anyone might take that seriously. :)

I find this topic interesting. I'm not upset. This is a fun forum for the most part and I'm participating in the way I usually do, by having fun.

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2013, 11:55:25 AM PDT
Artist says:
Thanks you, Paxton. I knew that I had been told that an actual person had read words into a program!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2013, 11:57:11 AM PDT
Artist says:
Eh, I was having a bad day yesterday so I took it personally. We're good.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Aug 7, 2013
Latest post:  Aug 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.