Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Laptop forum

Need help finding the right laptop!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 2, 2012, 4:49:22 PM PDT
J. Seib says:
The most important thing I want a new laptop for is word processing/writing. I spend anywhere from 2-8 hours a day typing ( I am an aspiring author) and I need a comfortable, back-lit keyboard on my new machine. I also have anywhere from 1-40 word documents open at the same time while I'm writing. I don't know if this weighs in on the type of computer that I should buy.

I won't even consider another HP, but some of the brands I have considered are : Toshiba, MSI, Lenovo, and Dell. But I am looking for advice!

I need a laptop that can support gaming, since I was an avid Sims 3 player until the game became too much for my current laptop. (a refurbished HP Pavilion dv9000, which I hate so much for its many design flaws that I will never buy another HP again).

And lastly, I would prefer a laptop with a high quality screen and speakers since I would use it for music and movies often.
I'd prefer to buy something that wont feel 'old' within 6 months, and that would support most of these needs. (the least important of which being gaming)

My top price range would ideally be 1200 dollars but for something absolutely perfect, I would be willing to spend up to 1500.
Any help would be appreciated since my current laptop is on its last leg for many reasons, and my tablet is not cutting it as a replacement.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012, 7:58:56 AM PDT
Kort says:
Aside from all else, Lenovo is supposed to have the best keyboards. For WP purposes, they might be your best bet. Asus has some good ones too. Finding something 'perfect' isn't really likely, but you can expect to get close. :) I personally use and like my HP laptop, but it would not be ideal for your needs. Some options are:

ASUS Republic of Gamers G53SX-AH71 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop (Black)
ASUS N55SL-DS71 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black)
MSI Computer Corp. Notebook GE70 0NC-003US;9S7-175611-003 17.3-Inch Laptop
Toshiba Qosmio F755-3D320 15.6-Inch 3D Gaming Laptop - Fusion 3D Finish in Brilliant Red
http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-T520-424066U-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B005WKFDC8/

Posted on May 20, 2012, 12:33:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2012, 3:25:48 PM PDT
Sn says:
The particular version of the T520 listed has the 1366x768 display instead of the 1600x900 or 1920x1080 display. 15.6" 1366x768 displays make things onscreen large compared to higher resolution displays, and often have poor image quality due to low contrast.

But the game performance in SIMS 3 of the T520 may prove to be disappointing. Some models of the T520 come with the NVIDIA NVS 4200M, and some come with basic Intel HD 3000. While the NVS will take the edge in performance, it might be in your interest to find something faster.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 1:53:11 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 3:19:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2012, 3:22:39 PM PDT
Sn says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 21, 2012, 6:54:08 AM PDT
If you would considered MSI, i would recommend you MSI Computer G Series GT60 0NC-004US 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black). The backlit is absolutely great! you can turn on or off or change the colors to blue or any. graphics card is nvidia geforce GTX 670 TED! that means you can play almost any games in extreme settings. I know its a gaming machine but this only last 3:13 for proccesing or typing on word. This can be used for everything!

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012, 8:02:44 AM PDT
Kort says:
It's big and ain't cheap, but it does sound like a pretty good laptop if you want a desktop replacement.

Posted on May 22, 2012, 2:49:12 PM PDT
In addition to what was pointed out, i would like to recommend that you order a razer blackwidow ultimate keyboard, if you're typing that much, it's better to use a mechanical keyboard as they are more comfortable and more responsive

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 10:19:31 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
I special ordered one with MX Brown switches. I'm soooo sick of membrane keyboards...which actually seem to be getting WORSE with time, and started out inferior.

I'm making due with my Microsoft keyboard until it dies or I just can't stand it anymore though LOL

Posted on Jun 1, 2012, 11:50:41 AM PDT
Toni says:
I agree with Kort(very strange idk if that's your screen name or real name but add an "e" at the end and there is my birth name lol). I love my HP and am a writer myself and depending on what or who I'm writting for determines how long Im at the keyboard. But it has never let me down even with up to 40 word documents open at once. I do agree about the back-lit keyboard though. I am also looking to purchuse a new computer, as my husband has discovered my HP would be beneficial to his work which i think is very important( he is military and he goes to all over the world to bring home remains of our lost heros). So in giving him my computer I am trying to figure out what would be beneficial to what I do. I also need it for photography editing and such, and I am also taking some courses to fulfill a goal I have always had so school work gets added to the list. When it comes to computers I am defiantly not the brightest screen in the monitor section (sorry, really bad pun). I know I was not much help J. Seib, I thought I could contribute a little more, but it seems we are almost in the same boat. Though I personally would stay away from Toshiba. Best of luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012, 11:59:59 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
I think a lot of HP's models allow you to add a backlit keyboard for $25 when you configure them from HP.com (which seems to be cheaper anyway, plus gives you way more options).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012, 1:16:39 PM PDT
Toni says:
Really? Thank you I didn't know that, see not to bright about this stuff lol. Thanks again

Posted on Jun 5, 2012, 6:32:02 AM PDT
Kort says:
Thanks Toni. Yes, my real name is Kort. :]
The HP's I've used have very good keyboards, and as WP points out you can get the backlit option on many models through their site. An appropriately powered model should also be able to handle your photo editing needs without any issues.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Laptop forum (994 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Laptop forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  May 2, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers