Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Laptop forum

Netbook vs. Tablet

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 18, 2012, 6:28:29 PM PDT
Karen says:
I am a college student looking for a something small to take to class with me that I could use to access the internet and run Microsoft Word. I'm not really too concerned about any other features, as I have a large laptop computer that I plan to primarily use. Like I said, I really just need something small and light that I can bring to class. Any computer experts out there want to weigh in on the benefits of a netbook, tablet, or maybe even an iPad. Recommendations of specific brands/models would be especially appreciated. Thanks!

Posted on Mar 18, 2012, 9:45:31 PM PDT
Thöm Frost says:
i have both and unless you get a tablet running windows 7 then your limited to android or ios. there are a few apps that are office compatible but i have found that they are not 100%.
if you get a netbook you can take it to class with you and type with out taking up much room, something that is hard to do with a tablet.
if you get a netbook you can hook up a keyboard, mouse and a larger monitor to it. some tablets will do this too but they are more expensive.
netbooks have larger storage space 250gb hd or better where as a tablet is limited to usually a max of 64gb.
netbooks tend to be cheaper usually less then $400, tablets (the good ones) start out at that price and just go up. then you have to pay an extra $150+ for the keyboard.

on my netbook i put in extra ram and a larger hd and put lots of mp3's on it to listen to when the professors are not talking. the other thing i do is because the seats are tier'ed i can use a webcam and record the lectures and then later if i am like "ummm what did he say about this or that" i can just pull up the video and replay it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012, 6:43:17 AM PDT
AMG16520 says:
Since you are seeking portability, a light laptop makes more sense than a tablet. Seek a unit with SSD hard drive. All come with Win 7 64Bit A 128gb SSD is plenty for your purpose. One "C" partition is the stratagem using wireless and cloud storage.

AMG

Posted on Mar 19, 2012, 6:37:36 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
Yeah, I'd just use the notebook you already have, but otherwise sounds like a smaller notebook's the only thing that would make sense for you.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012, 2:23:22 PM PDT
anonymous says:
Also a college student, and I'm considering this netbook (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+11.6%22+Aspire+One+Netbook+-+2GB+Memory+-+250GB+Hard+Drive+-+Espresso+Black/3584613.p?id=1218416482562&skuId=3584613#tabbed-customerreviews) with this RAM expansion (http://www.memorystock.com/memory/AcerAspireOneAOA1101295Notebook.html). It runs Windows 7 but only has 2GB RAM, which doesn't make much sense. So the RAM expansion is kind of necessary. Pricewise, it's not bad though :/

Posted on Mar 20, 2012, 2:43:29 PM PDT
Kort says:
dr?
Come to this thread, we need your 'wisdom'.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012, 2:47:13 PM PDT
Kort says:
No terrible margarine, but I think you could find a more powerful 13" if you hunt around for sales and whatnot. It may get the job done, but likely will be slow and a bit underpowered for standard college needs. Certainly not a gaming machine and I can't say how it would handle video..

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012, 4:30:30 PM PDT
anonymous says:
Yea that netbook is no good for gaming, lol. A gaming laptop would be much pricier, but Karen said she just needed something smaller for classes, so I'm assuming she just wants to take notes and use the internet. Would it really be that slow, even with a 1GB RAM expansion? I've only had experience with windows XP and an older laptop with similar specs (lenovo thinkpad T61, 2GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo, also running XP). I suggested this netbook mostly for its price. I'm looking for a cheap one myself and this was the best thing I could find, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012, 8:08:05 AM PDT
Kort says:
It depends what your tolerance threshold is margarine. ;]
It would be slower than a laptop with a more powerful processor, but internet browsing is heavily dependent on memory and connection speed, so it looks like it would be okay with the memory upgrade (try to get 2 2GB memory sticks). For note taking it should be just fine and it gets decent reviews so that is a plus.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012, 3:29:24 PM PDT
Sang Han says:
Ya I just ordered a acer netbook thru walmart for $309. specs were good for a 11 inch netbook (7 hour battery, 4gb ddr3, 250gb hd, amd dual core c-60, hdmi port). This is my 1st netbook, my 2.5 year dell laptop passed away and I want something smaller and better battery life. I am a college student too and netbook has enough power to run ms office, which is all I need (that and itunes).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012, 6:34:09 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
For the $200ish I paid for my equivalent system that's not bad, but for over $300, I'd get an HP, and I'd get an e450, not a c60 (or a larger notebook with an A series CPU).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012, 9:18:34 AM PDT
Sang Han says:
yeah but since you consider notebook with A series. We are in a different ball park here. I'd not consider any notebook. Netbook only and HP costs more with those specs. I only paid $309.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012, 9:23:52 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
<<<rv498 says:
Netbook only and HP costs more with those specs. I only paid $309. >>>

Netbooks are notebooks, and you paid too much. The A series is preferable, but if you want something smaller that's still cheap, you'd want something with AMD's e450 at this point. I paid $200 for the same thing, and if I had it to do over again I would have bought an HP with an e350/450 instead. For over $300 that just isn't worth it for a c series one.

Posted on Mar 22, 2012, 9:29:07 AM PDT
Sang Han says:
Dude, netbooks are NOT notebooks. Notebook is bigger and more powerful. That's why they differentiate them. HP with 4GB RAM costs more. Most netbook comes with 1GB and hardly 2GB, this one comes with 4GB. You give me this HP model number so I know what you are talking about. Plus like I said in the earlier post. Power doesn't matter because only software I am gonna run is MS Office. This HP 3105m that runs this amd processor u are talking about comes with 2GB RAM and priced over $400. So give me the model number to prove that you are correct.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012, 9:38:33 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
<<<rv498 says:
Dude, netbooks are NOT notebooks.>>>

Yes they are. In fact if you want to get technical, I'm not even sure netbooks have been sold in years, as it's a particular product made by a company around I want to say maybe 10 years ago. Regardless though "netbooks" are notebooks.

<<<Power doesn't matter because only software I am gonna run is MS Office.>>>

Power does matter. I *have* one of these things. It's fast compared to like an iOS device, but it's dirt slow compared to a more modern CPU. Office 2010 is so slow on it I use LibreOffice instead, which of course is also slow, but...

I bought mine because it was $200, but even at that price I would have gladly paid double to move up to an e350/450 plus it being an HP, plus the better keyboard.

HP's DM1/DM1z gives you more than 60% more power, and a better keyboard, and better screen, and it's an HP, for like $70 more...that just makes no sense at all. That Acer only made any sense when it was being heavily discounted last year to $150 or 200.

Posted on Mar 22, 2012, 9:46:59 AM PDT
Sang Han says:
Of course HP's better, they are more expensive! Duh. We were talking about cost and you don't make sense because HP costs more. Also, You said it has better keyboard, how do you know that? One I am buying is a new model from acer, it just came out. I am a student and I run office all the time on my 3 year old dell desktop. It runs fast. Any dual core with 4gb ram will run office smoothly, not slow.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012, 9:53:23 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
<<<rv498 says:
Of course HP's better, they are more expensive!>>>

Not much more expensive. It's worth probably double what our systems are worth. Paying $70 or so more for it is a no brainer.

<<<Also, You said it has better keyboard, how do you know that?>>>

Trying them. Acer's keyboards are fairly bad.

<<<One I am buying is a new model from acer, it just came out.>>>

And it's the same thing they've been selling for the past year, with minutely different specs.

<<<I am a student and I run office all the time on my 3 year old dell desktop. It runs fast.>>>

And what hardware does your desktop have? A c50/c60 or Intel's Atom is nowhere near the performance of a 3 year old decent desktop. The CPU in these things is something like a 10 year old part, and is of course very, very slow. Passing up a 60%+ performance boost to save at best $70 makes no sense.

Posted on Mar 22, 2012, 10:05:18 AM PDT
Sang Han says:
All I am saying is your are comparing a more expensive product to a lesser expensive one so you are logic is faulty there. I'd rather spend that $70 somewhere else thank you. A lot of people who buy netbooks are "cost-conscious" ok?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012, 10:08:07 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
<<<rv498 says:
All I am saying is your are comparing a more expensive product to a lesser expensive one so you are logic is faulty there. I'd rather spend that $70 somewhere else thank you.>>>

And then have to replace it that much sooner? Or realize you can't stand waiting around for it to open Word or the like?

The e350/450 are VERY slow, and VERY low end, but they absolutely destroy the c series or Atom. If money is that bad that $70 matters, you'd be better serviced looking to a normal sized notebook (with a vastly more powerful CPU than the e series is)...or at least see if you can pick it up for $200 instead of $309.

I think the value proposition on it is iffy at $200...

Posted on Mar 22, 2012, 10:13:00 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 22, 2012, 10:14:26 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 22, 2012, 10:21:29 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
Yes, many computers are very, very slow today. Neither Atom, nor AMD's c nor e series CPUs are modern designs. Atom is basically a Pentium 1, and c/e is a stripped down Athlon 64, massively underclocked. My PC from 2002 is faster than a c60 is.

And you bought a notebook-again, what you're calling a "netbook" is in fact a notebook.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012, 10:25:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 22, 2012, 10:27:16 AM PDT
Kort says:
I'd listen to WolfPup here rv. I would wager you'd regret your purchase of a c60 based computer sooner if not later. It is great and all to be thrifty, but there is such a thing as being too thrifty as well. And Acer's are known to have less than stellar keyboards. I was recently read a review of a new ultrabook Acer put out, and the keyboard was one of the things the reviewer found lacking.

EDIT: I went back and read and see you already ordered it. Well, you'll soon see for yourself, either way.

Posted on Mar 31, 2012, 1:44:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2012, 1:48:30 AM PDT
ok folks, i need help (i'm an oldie & not very tech savvy). my problem is "i don't know which is better for my purposes"; meaning, i knitting & crochet & would like to be able to surf the web & download/store patterns, also read/send emails, maybe read a book or mag & my watch hulu+ or netflix while at the doctor. i have been looking @ ereaders, tablets, netbooks & laptops (up to 15.6"). also i haven't got a clue as to what type of plan that i should get; been looking at the 40-50 dollar unlimited talk, text & what ever that last one is, something to do with 3g's or 4g's or surfing the web : }. oh & i would like to be able to talk to the grandkids & see them. maybe i need a newer cell phone? since i'm on a fixed income, don't & can't spend more than $50 per month on a plan.
thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012, 2:01:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2012, 2:01:54 PM PDT
Sang Han says:
Any smartphone would do all that. I am pretty sure major carriers provide discounted rates for seniors. You could go to bestbuy or costco to talk to all major (at&t, verizon, sprint, tmobile) carrier representatives at once and they usually have cheaper prices for phones (not the rates, rates are only from the carriers).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012, 3:36:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2012, 4:13:26 PM PDT
have a contract w/Verizon that ends in june & i'm not really wanting to go back into another 2 yr lock down, but where i live we only have verizon towers. i know that verizon is a cdma. what i was trying to figure out is if i could get an unlocked phone & then find a no contact carrier that would give me coverage at home & on the go. i've been looking at the palm pixie plus, but wasn't sure that it would do everything that i wanted & not cost an arm & a leg. verizon wants $80 a month for unlimited talk, text, web/data up to 5gb, but i haven't ever had a smartphone (my have always just took pics & calls), & i'm not sure have much data that i would use in a month & i've heard horror stories about the bill when people have used more data than their plan allowed. Any suggestions about plans? or better phones? maybe carriers?
Thx for your time & your help. : ) oh, & one more thing, i would like to be able to watch hulu+ on my tv by bringing it up on the phone & "pushing" it the tv. (what's that called?) will a smartphone do that without using my data plan? could a notebook do that by hdmi ?
Again, thx for your help & i'll keep trying to educate myself so i can understand what the reps are trying to tell me. : )
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Laptop forum (994 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Laptop forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Mar 18, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers