Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno
Customer Discussions > Literary Fiction forum

If you could have written any novel.......

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 11, 2010, 12:25:17 AM PDT
and claim it as your own which would it be ? 'Grapes of Wrath'? 'Moby Dick'? 'Augie March'?.....and why would that be?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2010, 5:43:06 AM PDT
Customer1 says:
It would be One Hundred years of Solitude. I read it 20+ years ago and it's still fresh in my mind.

Posted on Jul 11, 2010, 5:44:33 AM PDT
Ms. Jess says:
Oh, so many choices...maybe Poe's 'The Raven' -- absolutely classic!

Posted on Jul 11, 2010, 8:14:33 AM PDT
Hands down, To Kill a Mockingbird.

Posted on Jul 14, 2010, 6:43:31 AM PDT
Anne of Green Gables (Lucy Maud Montgomery) or Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd).

AoGG is such a wonderful series with a smart, endearing girl who gets into adventures and gets involved with people and life. It's just such a formative series for so many young girls and readers. "Kindred spirits," if you will. ;)

Secret Life of Bees was a beautifully written book, with so much heart. I loved the themes (self discovery, acceptance, forgiveness, parent/child relationships, etc.) and the fun cast of characters.

I don't think I could have written a book like the Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins) but it taught me a lot as a writer, and gripped me 110% as a reader.

Kristan
Author of Twenty-Somewhere
kristanhoffman.com - writing dreams into reality

Posted on Jul 14, 2010, 4:08:10 PM PDT
I would say In the Woods by Tana French. The characters were very very realistic and her writing style is extremely beautiful and haunting.

Posted on Jul 14, 2010, 5:52:41 PM PDT
I'd kind have liked to have written something like '100 Years of Solitude' it starts off with the greatest opening line in literature and gets better and better. But as I'm often in a state of Micawberism, should I sell my soul (to live as a recluse ever after because of the shame) and write a Jackie Collins or Danielle Steel or-God have mercy-write as the 'new' Virginia Andrews!!!!
I think I'll stick with poverty, Its not that bad and you can still get drunk on cheap wine!

Posted on Jul 15, 2010, 11:47:45 AM PDT
Doctor Zhivago

or,

The Hobbit: 70th Anniversary Edition

pat

Posted on Jul 15, 2010, 12:15:23 PM PDT
Customer1 says:
An admirer of Saul: how true! It is the greatest opening line in literature. It sounds as profound as the 9th:
"Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice".

Simply glorious.
Gabriela

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2010, 1:24:12 PM PDT
Aviva Lynne says:
There are so many wonderful novels and so very difficult to choose. But one that springs to mind is a very from my early teen years: Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier. I love its gothic suspense. It captured my young imagination - how we come to know Rebecca through the eyes of everyone else - how Manderley becomes another character. The chilling presence of Mrs. Danvers. I wish I was clever enough to have written it.

Posted on Jul 15, 2010, 2:00:20 PM PDT
ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF SOLITUDE. - no doubt about it. I agree with Gabriela Popa.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2010, 3:39:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 15, 2010, 5:01:05 PM PDT
David says:
The Bible...

or

100 Years of Solitude

about equal in my view (I bought a large print version of 100 Years.. so that when I get old, I can still read it)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010, 3:59:16 PM PDT
After 8 years, One Hundred Years of Solitude is still fresh in my mind, and I would have liked very much to have written it... It remains the finiest peice of writting that I have ever read...

Posted on Aug 10, 2010, 6:52:19 PM PDT
SHS says:
a toss up between 100 years and My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk

Posted on Aug 13, 2010, 1:33:54 PM PDT
13Blackbirds says:
I was thinking I'd go big with The Divine Comedy, but then, duh, I remembered it's not a novel. So I'd say The House of the Spirits even though I don't speak Spanish.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2010, 7:21:25 PM PDT
Penfy says:
I love your post. How sweet (and what wonderful foresight) that you purchased the Large Print version of your favorite novel to ensure you will still be able to read it when you get older.

I think your words would make a great opening line in their own right. Poignant.

Here's to you.

Posted on Aug 14, 2010, 8:47:22 AM PDT
Anna Maltsev says:
Brothers Karamazov

Posted on Aug 19, 2010, 6:08:20 PM PDT
Faulkner's As I Lay Dying.

Posted on Aug 24, 2010, 12:20:47 PM PDT
Breathing Lessons or A Tree Grows in Brooklyn or Gone with the Wind; older works to walk in Jane Austin's shoes while she was healthy, living with her family in Bath and publishing her work under an assumed name for the public would have been delighful.

Posted on Nov 14, 2010, 6:11:55 PM PST
To Kill a Mockingbird. Hands down.
I think it's about everything---life, death, heaven, hell, happiness, sadness---just the warped sea of humanity.
One of my favs.

DawnWelcome to Shangri-La, North Carolina

Posted on Nov 16, 2010, 10:49:21 AM PST
Sam Fields says:
Some great books on here. I agree with One Hundred Years of Solitude, but another book I deeply admire is The Tin Drum by Gunther Grass.

THE MESSIAH OF GREEN STREET

Posted on Nov 17, 2010, 8:21:53 AM PST
Zanthius says:
One of the most beautifully written novels of the 21st-century is Paul Harding's Tinkers, winner of the 2010 Pulitzer Prize for literature. The story is powerful, but the language that carries the story is so lyrical that entering the story is like opening a door into a long, sustained dream.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2010, 11:43:50 AM PST
Sam Fields says:
Good to know, Justin. Never heard of him, but will check him out.

Posted on Nov 22, 2010, 10:55:03 PM PST
Irma Fritz says:
What a joy to run into so many of you who have such good taste in literature! The majority vote seems to go for 100 Years, also a fave of mine. Still, I'm going to vote for Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina. I read it for the third time in my life, sitting with my dying mother in the hospital. But this is not the only time that I've associated this great novel with my mom. It always has been. When she was a student, she read it in the original Russian, which is something I can't do. So when I read her passages from it in English, she'd lament, "If you could only read it in Russian. It's so much more beautiful! When I read this book as a young girl, I was enamoured with the tragic Anna. This time when I read it, I realized that it isn't Anna's story at all, but Konstantin Levin's, a stand-in for Tolstoy. William Faulker called it the best novel ever written.
Would love to hear hour thoughts on this.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted on Feb 5, 2012, 11:52:13 AM PST
The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway because I am from a Lost Generation.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Literary Fiction forum (220 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Literary Fiction forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Jul 11, 2010
Latest post:  Oct 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers