Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Joseph Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

How explicit is Gangs of New York?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 27, 2012 1:47:04 PM PST
I'm thinking about picking up Gangs of New York because I've never seen it. Depending on the content will depend on when I purchase it and who I watch it with. This is not me asking for anyone's opinion on whether or not the movie is appropriate for a certain audience. I'm just simply asking for someone who has seen the movie to give me an accurate description of how graphic the violence is and how explicit the sexual content is. Thanks.

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 7:11:56 AM PST
D. Larson says:
Sex, not much. Almost none.

Violence? Plenty. Explicit? Well, a fair number of people do get stuck with knives and hacked with axes, but not in a particularly gory way. Then there's some cannonading at the end, and an elephant.

I'd say, suitable for 13 and up, assuming the 13 year old play a fair amount of video games.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 7:59:47 AM PST
"...assuming the 13 year old play a fair amount of video games." lol.

Thanks, appreciate it.

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 8:42:44 AM PST
SMH says:
If I remember correctly, there isn't a lot of sex, but there is a fair amount of nudity in some places. Topless women. There is quite a bit of explicit language and violence.

I agree - if the 13 year old is exposed to CoD and the like, it might not be too bad, but I personally think 13 is a bit young for this particular movie.
Your reply to SMH's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 1:37:16 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
I found the film boring as all get out, so I have no recollection about it's sex and violence content, other than that there was too much of one and not enough of the other.

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 1:42:16 PM PST
Green Meanie says:
Gangs of New York blows. Once Upon a Time in America is better.

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 2:43:37 PM PST
Who even remembers this film well enough to know if it was explicit? My basic memory is that it was LONG and boring. And there was no reason for the female lead to even be in the film.She up too much screen time and is barely tangential to the plot. I do remember that, historically, that area was supposed to be absolutely filthy, excrement in the streets, etc, leading to terrible and extensive disease. None of that made it into the film.

Its just dull and endless. There is one nice scene in the middle where immigrants are made citizens in one line, then commandeered into the army in another line and finally shipped out to fight in a third line. In fact, that one scene pretty well sums up the whole film.

Save yourself the experience.

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 4:06:06 PM PST
Jon says:
Read the book instead: The Gangs of New York: An Informal History of the Underworld. . .it's a lot more cinematic than Scorsese's stuffy muddle. See the movie if you're interested in the subject or Danial Day Lewis's awesomeness, but be prepared to be disappointed.

If you like that, also check out Low Life: Lures and Snares of Old New York.

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 8:57:33 PM PST
stature says:
go to hulu and click on movies, most popular and it should be up top on the selections, watch for free

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 9:16:16 PM PST
Jon says:
The DVD is cheap enough, and you get a ton of extras that are more interesting than the movie itself.

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 9:39:49 PM PST
Green Meanie says:
Watch the Dead End Kids or East Side Kids or Bowery Boys or Junior G-Men for what life was like back in the Good Old Days.

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 5:29:04 AM PST
Okay, thanks for all the suggestions.

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 6:00:57 AM PST
SMH says:
I wouldn't listen to the negativity here...Gangs of NY is really good.

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 7:03:34 AM PST
D. Larson says:
"Gangs of New York" isn't the greatest movie ever made; it really could have used a good edit. And DiCaprio wouldn't have been my first choice as lead. He was still in his scrunchy baby-face mode.

But Daniel Day Lewis is terrific as Bill the Butcher, which is the film's real flaw. Any time he isn't on screen, we're impatiently waiting for him to show up again. His performance is so big, everybody else is diminished.

And, it really is bravura movie making. Big sets, great costuming, plenty of recreated mileu. Don't listen to the "I was bored" crowd. Gangs is well worth a couple hours that you'd otherwise waste on reality television.

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 7:48:43 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2012 11:09:31 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 7:55:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 29, 2012 7:56:42 AM PST
SMH says:
Hahahaha I'm assuming you're joking with this post. Thanks for the laugh!

Edit: Although I do agree about Diaz...I've never been very fond of her. Leo is top notch though.

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 8:14:52 AM PST
My favorite Leo movie to this day is Blood Diamond. One of my top 10 favorites.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 8:26:03 AM PST
SMH says:
Absolutely agree. Great movie.

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 8:39:14 AM PST
W.T. Keeton says:
Personally I liked Gangs of New York quite a bit. It's a good movie with a number of compelling characters, and it's pretty accurate to history (allowing for the use of fictional characters alongside some real historical figures).

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 11:44:11 AM PST
Green Meanie says:
It is politically incorrect in racial slurs used and the ending promised a big all out war that was disappointing. You see it to judge for yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 12:34:31 PM PST
D. Larson says:
But if you're going to be historically correct, you'll have to accept a whole lot of politically incorrect. 1860's New York was not exactly a festival of peace, love and understanding, nor racial/ethic tolerance, either.

The ending war was disappointng? I dunno, just about everybody got killed, on way or another. As Bill the Butcher said, "Thank God I die a true American!"

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 2:10:37 PM PST
It's only a movie intended for entertainment. Not a historical documentary.

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 2:38:52 PM PST
Greg S says:
I consider GONY to be overly graphic for my tastes, which is too bad since I like the characters, set design, etc. My wife feels the same way. Knives and cleavers are in evidence through out... and when they are not in the process of actually using them, there is talk of what to do with them. Daniel Day Lewis is a wonder to behold... talk about inhabiting a part... as Bill the Butcher... getting back to your question... :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 3:45:35 PM PST
it's pretty accurate to history "

There were conscription riots in NYC, but the Navy did NOT shell the populace to stop the rioting. Not that it would have been beyond the scope of the government to shaft the populace, but in this case, they did not.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 3:48:13 PM PST
It's only a movie intended for entertainment."

Well, it fails dismally as entertainment too. The script is non-existent, or rather seems patched together. The film lurches from one set piece to another, each scene virutally unconnected, stumbling to an inaccurate and anti-climactic finale.

What was the point anyway? The US wasn't much better than where the immigrants came from? Who needs 2 hours and 40 minutes out of your life to be told what we already know?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Feb 27, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions