Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

I am looking for some good Samurai movies

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 11, 2012 6:22:22 PM PDT
Boss Haas says:
I prefer black and white, but i enjoy color films also.

Any help will greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 6:31:27 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
Azumi 1 & 2.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 9:15:07 PM PDT
7 Samurai

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 3:10:32 AM PDT
7 & 7 IS says:
(anything with Toshiro Mifune )
+ Lone Wolf & Cub (the Babycart series)
+ Lady Snowblood / Love Song of Vengeance

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 4:35:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2012 10:08:52 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
Seven Samurai is the greatest samurai film, but it's not the most representative. It is extremely different from the samurai tradition: Ensemble cast, messy fights, peasants as instigators of the battle. If anything, Seven Samurai undermines the chambara (swordfight) genre.

Yojimbo and Sanjuro are great because they feature one of the most iconic samurais in history, the scruffy and unscrupulous Sanjuro, played by Toshiro Mifune. Zatoichi the Blind Swordsman is celebrated for Shintaro Katsu's performance. Takeshi Kitano remade Zatoichi and released it in 2003, with superb swordfights but a really, really bad story and support characters.

The Sword of Doom is interesting. Another very atypical samurai film, it follows a heartless, practically demonic swordsman who murders an innocent old man right in the beginning of the film. There is a great contrast in the film between the diabolical swordsman Ryunosuke Tsukue (Tatsuya Nakadai in one of his best performances ever) and the righteous Shimada Toranosuke (Toshiro Mifune). I think it's one of the greatest moral statements ever made on the samurai film.

Akira Kurosawa's two 1980s films are both extremely atypical (Kurosawa never made a typical samurai film), but great statements on the jidai-geki genre: Kagemusha (1980), a personal favourite, though painfully slow in narrative pace; and Ran (1985), a massive epic with almost rhapsodic emotional content and an ice-cold, almost sadistic plot.

The Criterion Collection has the entire Samurai trilogy by Hiroshi Inagaki, featuring one of the most famous samurai characters in Japanese history, Musashi Miyamoto. I couldn't even get through the first film, though. Beautiful images, non-existent story. All of the above films except Zatoichi are available in the Criterion Collection, which has beautiful transfers, peerless bonus materials (such as commentaries from Japanese-film and cultural experts which drastically improve our understanding) and gorgeous packaging with loads of notes. They're not cheap, but if you're serious about film, they're worth every penny.

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 6:33:34 AM PDT
Boss Haas says:
Thanks a lot guys, all these movies seem very interesting.

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 6:43:16 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
Two more Kurosawa entries available in the Criterion Collection: Throne of Blood and The Hidden Fortress. Both are among my least favourite Kurosawa films, but they're famous in film history. The Hidden Fortress is the film that George Lucas copied almost verbatim for the plot and characters of Star Wars.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 8:34:19 AM PDT
Technically these may not count but I like them better than all the ones already mentioned.

Kagemusha (aka: The Shadow Warrior) (Regon-3)

Ran

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 10:24:18 AM PDT
Pam Gearhart says:
13 Assassins, which is a free download if you have Amazon Prime.

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 10:35:06 AM PDT
Green Meanie says:
For recent samurai movies try Kunoichi.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Aug 11, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions