YED MagazinestoInspire Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 STEM Valentines Day STEM Shop Popular Services TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Go Explore Outdoor Recreation on Amazon NYNN
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

The top ten anything thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2601-2625 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 4:17:27 PM PST
Waiting for Gordo to rip on WALL-E in 3...2...1...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 6:49:53 PM PST
*sighs* given the trend of listing the 10 best SciFi of the decade, I might as well jump the bandwagon and include the 10 best of the millenium:

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
2. Idiocracy
3. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
4. Paprika
5. Star Trek
6. Atlas Shrugged films
7. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
8. Zombieland
9. Men in Black 3
10.Inception

And in stark contrast, the most overrated of Science Fiction films listed by these trendies:

1. Wall-E (I'll save my breath as I've spoke of this film to death already)
2. District 9 (a nasty, ugly predecessor to Avatar, and quite loathsome in stark contrast)
3. Children of Men (way too farfetched for my taste)
4. Donnie Darko (interesting concept in which the ideas just don't mesh together all that well)
5. Avatar (not as bad as a lot of people made it out to be, but it's still a clone of the DwW formula)
6. Cloverfield (literally nothing special about this film, and I can't stand found footage pictures)
7. Watchmen (the only watchable Zack Snyder film to date, and it's still quite the ugly picture)
8. Steamboy (liked it the first couple of times, but it has since not aged all that well)
9. City of Ember (trendy distopia for the kiddy crowd? Sorry, but I'll have a pass at it)
10.Battle for Terra (just...why? It's yet another copy of the Dances with Wolves narrative)

As for I, Robot...it's one of the few watchable Will Smith movies since he decided to go serious.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 9:45:35 PM PST
....and Gordo shows once again why his words have that slightly shitty odour to them - his taste is in his ass.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 9:49:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 9:50:11 PM PST
Or is that William's ass?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:20:30 PM PST
Rob Boss says:
Stephen Mcnary,

Hey, I used to live in OB in the early-mid '90s. Sort of cross between there and Point Loma. I've lived all around this county at one time or another.

I've heard of 'Silk Stockings' and 'Simon & Simon', can't recall if I've seen an episode...haven't seen those other shows.

There was a show called 'The Ex List' that they made only 12 episodes of that was shot in OB I think. Starred the wonderful Elizabeth Reaser. That show was awful though, and deserved to fail:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1196947/locations

There was also a show called 'John from Cincinnati' that was shot around here. Never saw that one. I notice they've got the entire DVD set at the library, so someone must be watching it.

I know of only one other contemporary show that was shot in San Diego, because they shot a couple episodes in a Golden Hill Victorian I was staying at a few years ago: 'Veronica Mars'. Got to meet the star Kristen Bell briefly, saw how they shoot one of these modern TV series up close. Pretty boring most of the time, like most movie sets.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 11:22:57 PM PST
Rob Boss says:
Listening to lots of music today while I work...

Top Ten Favorite Songs I've Heard Tonight:
{numbered, but a little random, and only 1 per artist}

1. "Wanka (The Seven Winds)" - Yma Sumac
2. "Children of Zion" - Reverend Gary Davis
3. "If We Wait" - Guided by Voices
4. "Maybe Not" - Cat Power
5. "I Wanna Be Evil" - Eartha Kitt
6. "Crawl Babies" - The Pastels
7. "Cotton" - The Mountain Goats
8. "My Home Town" - Tom Lehrer
9. "As I Went Out One Morning" - Mira Billotte
10. "Julia" - Philly Joe Jones"

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 11:31:21 PM PST
Rob Boss says:
Top Ten Most Unfairly Underrated Movies of 1997:

Oscar and Lucinda
Wild Man Blues
The Truce
Mimic
The Edge
Jackie Brown
Love and Death on Long Island
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
The Swindle / Rien ne va plus
Lucie Aubrac

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 11:32:25 PM PST
Rob Boss says:
Top Ten Most Overrated Movies of 1997:

Titanic
Face/Off
The Game
The Fifth Element
Kundun
L.A. Confidential
Private Parts
Contact
Open Your Eyes
'Insomnia' or 'Austin Powers' [tie]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:42:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 11:43:19 PM PST
I thought you really dug 'L.A. Confidential'? Maybe I have you mixed up with somebody else.

I haven't read much of movies like 'The Game', 'Face/Off', 'Kundun', 'Contact', and especially 'Private Parts' praised all that much, so two and two together = you *really* dislike these films, yeah?

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 11:49:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 11:55:22 PM PST
Ten films from 1997 that I haven't seen and want to watch

12 Angry Men
Amistad
Anna Karenina
The Devil's Own
Face
The House Of Angelo
The Ice Storm
Mrs Brown
Photographing Fairies
The Spanish Prisoner

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:58:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 11:59:58 PM PST
Rob Boss says:
Hikari's the one who loves 'L.A. Confidential'. I'm tepid on it. I've seen it three times and still don't get the big deal, all the raves. It's okay, nothing special.
I like the acting and set design fine, and Curtis Hanson's always-capable direction is all that makes it watchable for me. I couldn't stand the script, and worse - the novel it was based on. Total garbage writing. It's my least favorite by that director, including that chick-lit Cameron Diaz movie he did ('In Her Shoes', was it called?)

On 'Contact', I liked the first half alright. It fell apart after that. I hear praise for 'The Game', 'Face/Off', and 'Kundun' all the time still, among fans of those directors (and they have many). They were rated highly at the time. I thought they were terrible.

'Private Parts' is a more culty type thing. For some reason I knew quite a few people who claimed to hate Howard Stern and his radio show, but oddly they "loved" that movie. Pure junk, I can't fathom what anyone sees in it. The fact it's not rated below a 5/10 on IMDb is enough for me to say it's among the most overrated of '97!
Now, if only Howard could devote his energies to something worthwhile, like that 'Fartman' movie he's been trying to get off the ground for years.....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:47:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 5:48:48 AM PST
Hikari says:
@Sloany & JPB
I was going to ring in but I see Mr. Baker has already identified me.

JB normally has pretty impeccable taste in movies. Until now, I didn't realize there was another of my favorite films that he loathed about as much as he loathes "Amadeus". As with "Amadeus" I think his animosity is misplaced. I have only passed out 5-star ratings to a very select handful of movies in my lifetime, and here are two of my 5-star films right here. I enjoyed both 'The River Wild' and 'In Her Shoes' a lot for offerings in their respective genres; they were commercially-successful popcorn entertainments that both managed to bring a little something extra to the table. But 'L.A. Confidential' seems to me a whole other elevated level--a perfect marriage of story, production design, score & casting. The fictional world of the film is completly integrated; its vision is seamless. I felt James Cromwell did ham it up a bit too much as Captain Dudley Smith with that accent--but casting him as the villian was inspired. Mr. Cromwell usually portrays genteel historical figures, or genteel literary characters or loveable fatherly types . . .both here and in "The General's Daughter" he makes for an absolutely chilling villain behind the patrician veneer.

The triad of Crowe-Pearce-Spacey presents three different styles of acting, all pitch-perfect & a master class in the craft. The supporting roles are equally well-cast and played. (Mr. Hanson reunited with David Straithairn, who seems to be one of his go-to guys.) What makes the movie extra-special for me was how they managed to recreate the Los Angeles of 1953 to such a degree that it feels that you have been transported there. Usually when watching a movie, I experience a bit of a remove--I never totally forget that I am only watching a mocked-up cinematic world. There were moments in LAC that felt almost like a documentary to me. They have maintained the gritty realism of James Ellroy's style while pruning the novel down to a precis. The author himself praised the script as the distillation of his work and an improvement, as far as creating a tight narrative out of his meandering multiple storylines.

Mr. Baker, during the 1997 awards season, when they were trumpeting LAC as the greatest thing to hit the cinema since The Ten Commandments and endlessly showing that clip of Ed Exley mistaking Lana Turner for a prostitute, my back was up against it. I figured it for yet another overhyped period piece the Academy usually creams itself over. I guess you feel that way about it, but after I finally broke down and watched the movie, I experienced an all-too-rare foiling of my expectations in a positive direction. I am not accustomed to a movie being so much better than my expectations of it going in. In this case, I was so happy to be wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:21:55 AM PST
Baker: I'll second Titanic, Kundun and Contact. The Fifth Element is in large parts a cult classic and is more admired by the fans than it is by the critics (I for one sort of enjoyed it for how strange it was). L.A. Confidential, on the other hand, is a first rate crime drama, while Face/Off and Austin Powers are both quite entertaining (the former being the best film John Woo ever directed).

And I second Jackie Brown for underrated. So long as he directs (and in large part, write and/or produces), Tarantino can do no wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 10:38:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 10:39:17 AM PST
H: That's kinda the way I felt about The Dark Knight before seeing it. I refused to see it in the cinemas because everyone over-hyped it back in 2008, so I didn't see it for another two years. Now I love the film.

I don't see how anyone could loathe Amadeus (unless you're William, in which case he felt it was an insult to genius). It has a miraculous script.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 10:55:02 AM PST
Ten films from 1998 that I haven't seen and want to watch

Besieged
Celebrity
Croupier
Divorcing Jack
Great Expectations
Little Voice
Love Is The Devil:Study For a Portrait of Francis Bacon
Still Crazy
Twilight

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 12:41:03 PM PST
Hikari says:
I did see The Dark Knight in the theatre and unfortunately, regarding it, I was not wowed out of my socks the way I was with LA Confidential. I'm not a huge fan of superhero movies, but for its genre, it was a stylish effort. Heath Ledger sincerely creeped me out and I mean that as a compliment. I just wish the insane (ly talented) Heath did not have to have that movie as his swan song.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:17:50 PM PST
The best film of each film in the 1990's:

1990: Goodfellas
1991: The Silence of the Lambs
1992: Unforgiven
1993: Groundhog Day--or Fearless
1994: Pulp Fiction
1995: The Usual Suspects
1996: Fargo
1997: L.A. Confidential (even better than Lost Highway, which is saying a lot)
1998: The Truman Show
1999: Being John Malkovich

As you can see, on average, the best film of the 1990's would most likely be a crime drama of some kind. And the best of the lot would have to be Pulp Fiction (though that doesn't undermine the rest of the 9 films in the least--except perhaps Groundhog Day).

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:42:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 7:14:05 PM PST
Rob Boss says:
Top Ten Films Noir Crime Movies of the 1990s. . . (I'm not counting comedies or ones with too dawdling a pace; hence, no 'Fargo', 'Goodbye South, Goodbye', 'A Perfect World', 'Tout ça... pour ça! / All That... for This?!', 'Jackie Brown', 'The Young Poisoner's Handbook', among others -- this is more in the realm of a personal classification for neo-noir:)

1. Cyclo (Tran Anh Hung)
2. Miller's Crossing (Ethan and Joel Coel)
3. Blood and Wine (Bob Rafelson)
4. Homicide (David Mamet)
5. Deep Crimson (Arturo Ripstein)
6. Bad Influence (Curtis Hanson)
7. Shanghai Triad (Yimou Zhang)
8. L.627 (Bertrand Tavernier)
9. Bad Company (Damian Harris)
10. Deep Cover (Bill Duke)

The NEXT Top Ten. . .

1. Underneath (Steven Soderbergh)
2. Secret Défense (Jacques Rivette)
3. Boiling Point (James B. Harris)
4. Trespass (Walter Hill)
5. Guilty as Sin (Sidney Lumet)
6. Heat (Michael Mann)
7. Judgment Night (Stephen Hopkins)
8. Little Odessa (James Gray)
9. One False Move (Carl Franklin)
10. Light Sleeper (Paul Schrader)

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 8:13:34 PM PST
Rob Boss says:
Top Ten Live-Action Comedies of 1957:

1. Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?
2. Operation Mad Ball
3. Les Mistons / The Kids
4. The Pajama Game
5. Assassins et voleurs / Lovers and Thieves
6. Guendalina
7. Silk Stockings
8. Manin Densha / The Crowded Streetcar
9. Miracles of Thursday
10. Doctor and the Healer

_________
Top Ten Westerns of 1948:

1. Blood on the Moon
2. Red River
3. Fort Apache
4. Yellow Sky
5. Whispering Smith
6. Black Bart
7. Station West
8. 3 Godfathers
9. Oklahoma Badlands
10. Silver River

[Bonus: anything with Lash La Rue & Fuzzy St. John]

1. Alphaville
2. Mirage
3. Repulsion
4. The Satan Bug
5. Compartiment Tueurs / The Sleeping Car Murders
6. The Bedford Incident
7. The Ipcress File
8. The Skull
9. The Collector
10. Bunny Lake Is Missing

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 2:03:31 AM PST
JP Baker-I remember the Ex-List cuz it was filmed in OB. Terriers was also filmed in OB and was on FX for 1 season. Renegade had Lorenzo Lamas and was on at the same time as Silk Stockings. In fact, they used the same supporting actors/extras.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:16:52 AM PST
Larry Kelley says:
JP: Lash LaRue: Do you remember Whip Wilson? Saw him LIVE in the Delano Theater, Delano, CA., in the mid-1950's. Had forgotten about that. "The Collector" was my introduction to John Fowles. At the end of the book I thought OH YUCK! I couldn't believe it. Watched the movie and was in love with Samantha Eggers for a while. Then I read Fowles "The Magus". Never could figure out who's side I was on, the guy or his sort of weird girlfriend. Thought it was one of the most interesting books I had read at the time. Movie sucked. "3 Godfathers" was one of Wayne's best movies. Involved some acting on his part. Great lists, brought back good memories.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:33:05 AM PST
Sloan: re: your comment on Gordo--perhaps you might be a little more elegant in your condemnation.

No one's taste--certainly not yours, or even mind--is entirely above reproach.

And as to comment on my butt--well, you are a contemptible vulgarian.

Frankly, Gordo's dislike like in general is not a bad one, although I disagree on Donnie Darko. As for I, Robot--Will Smith gets more annoying with repeated viewings. A pity, really, since the film is not without a good idea or two.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:36:33 AM PST
JB: I would disagree about Contact. The metaphysics of the final journey are very compelling, although I will agree that some of the conflicts are very artificial. On the whole, however, a good film. I visited the VLA once, and I highly recommend doing so if you have driving around the middle of New Mexico. Big Science.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:38:54 AM PST
H: Chalk up another enthusiast for LA Confidential, although I must say that James Cromwell is the weakest thing in it, and throws it off balance.

I suspect I dislike Amadeus even more than JB.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:40:45 AM PST
Re: The Fifth Element: I have one overriding problem with it: it simply does not make a lick of sense from beginning to end. Perhaps I should sit down with it with a clear and unclouded mind, but I am not certain how much good that would do.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  133
Total posts:  7208
Initial post:  May 16, 2012
Latest post:  1 day ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers