Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Agree Or Disagree

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 585 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 19, 2017, 10:46:44 AM PDT
CM: Agreed. Just watch Faraon or The Saragossa Manuscript or Decalogue or The Double Life Of Veronique.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2017, 5:15:49 AM PDT
C McGhee says:
The Irrefutable Gordo-

>>There has yet to be a superior black and white movie since Ed Wood

>>If you are talking USA only then OK but Blancanieves from Spain is not only B&W but also silent & is nearly a masterpiece of a movie. Only a Spaniard could see the story in such a fatalistic manner & the performances are superb. If you've not seen it do so.

Statement: Polish cinema is underrated.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2017, 3:52:58 PM PDT
RichieV says:
--Or reboots, why do we constantly have to go back to the beginning, why not move the Star Trek universe forward? Why go back to the beginning of James Bond? How many times are we going to see Batman's parents get killed in slow motion.

Posted on Apr 4, 2017, 4:18:28 PM PDT
Hikari: Agreed! I cannot think of a period in cinema history so bleak, and that includes bad remakes of TV series.

Posted on Apr 4, 2017, 9:22:25 AM PDT
Hikari says:
Agree or Disagree:

Unless you're into CGI or feature length remakes of old television series, we are in the decline of the movie as an art form.

Posted on Apr 3, 2017, 11:09:19 AM PDT
Agreed. The original Jumanji was witless; any remake will be worse.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2017, 8:42:12 AM PDT
stevign says:
re: "Agree or Disagree: that is a stupid idea."

I agree. The original wasn't any good and I wouldn't expect the remake to be any better.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2017, 8:28:18 AM PDT
W.T. Keeton says:
That would be one of those remakes where no one can figure out why it exists and few ever bother to see it (another recent example of this is "Total Recall").

Posted on Apr 3, 2017, 8:10:42 AM PDT
Larry Kelley says:
I think that I read in the local newspaper--or it could have been in the portion of the newspaper that is USA TODAY, that there is a remake of Jumanji coming this year. Agree or Disagree: that is a stupid idea.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2017, 5:07:20 AM PDT
stevign says:
Too bad you feel that way, there were a lot of funny moments on that show.

Posted on Apr 2, 2017, 4:38:12 PM PDT
stevign: And I would disagree.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2017, 4:28:53 PM PDT
stevign says:
I wasn't suggesting that it was. I'm only pointing out that he and the writers on the set who stayed true to his style, made Justified into something special.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2017, 3:46:06 PM PDT
stevign: Leonard was a good write. It does not, however, follow that everything he did was good. Even Homer nods.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2017, 9:38:04 AM PDT
stevign says:
re: "Law and Order and NCIS aren't very interesting anymore"

I didn't last any longer than a couple seasons of Law & Order: SVU before becoming bored with it. What's even worse is that after her previous series, "Chase" was cancelled, I was REALLY hoping that Kelli Giddish was going to land on a tv series I still like. Instead she landed on Law & Order: SVU! Damn!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0zzKe3S8h8

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2017, 8:36:15 AM PDT
stevign says:
Are you referring to, Justified? It's one thing to just not like something, but it's another to ignore good craftsmanship just because that something isn't your cup of tea.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/21/books/elmore-leonard-master-of-crime-fiction-dies-at-87.html

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2017, 8:21:39 AM PDT
H: Of course I did. She didn't crack the lens, but by no stretch of the imagination can she be called dishy. Sort of presentable, I think.

Posted on Apr 2, 2017, 8:20:12 AM PDT
Tim: Law & Order: SVU has really become repetitive and tedious, particularly since we seem to be knee-deep in Benson's personal life at every turn.

NCIS is still one of the few generally well-written shows on television, even though it too injects rather pointless story arcs.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2017, 8:10:54 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 3, 2017, 12:20:53 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 2, 2017, 7:21:43 AM PDT
stevign: There is a fine French phrase for that sort of thing--nostalgie de la boue. Nostalgia for the mud.

Such material is inflating the trivial.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2017, 9:36:17 PM PDT
stevign says:
re: "and Breaking Bad? Do I really need to spend my time with drug dealers?"

What, you don't think criminals and their activities can be interesting when written well and given an excellent storyline? You certainly do have a talent for trivializing the dramatic. As for Justified, to simply brush off Elmore Leonard's writing as nothing more than "rural depression" is ludicrous.

Posted on Apr 1, 2017, 7:00:59 PM PDT
Tim: There is a difference between a series written as a continuing series and inserting an arc into a series like, say, NCIS or Law & Order: SVU. The latter is the case I was discussing.

And of those you mention: I got through one episode of Dirk Gently (pointless), and one episode of the first season of Fargo, in the case of the latter going straight back to the film. Westword? Recycled. Sons Of Anarchy and Breaking Bad? Do I really need to spend my time with drug dealers and bikers? Justified? Rural depression. How I Met Your Mother? Harmless. As for the others--no interest whatsoever, in my view a waste of my time.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2017, 5:40:12 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 3, 2017, 12:20:52 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2017, 5:21:45 PM PDT
stevign says:
re: "How many of these extended story arcs are actually of any interest?"

Like yourself, I don't keep count.

re: "We are fortunate indeed that there is so rich a history of film and television that we can ignore most of what slithers out of Hollywood today."

Thankfully true.

Posted on Apr 1, 2017, 4:34:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2017, 4:35:39 PM PDT
stevign: How many of these extended story arcs are actually of any interest? Very, very few.

We are fortunate indeed that there is so rich a history of film and television that we can ignore most of what slithers out of Hollywood today.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2017, 3:39:50 PM PDT
stevign says:
re: "Well-written single episodes do not need a crutch of that nature."

I don't consider the desire to tell a much longer story that cannot be played out in one hour to be a "crutch". Cliffhangers are a different issue.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  585
Initial post:  Oct 30, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 19, 2017

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers