Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Can you name the movie? A young man tries to arrange a meeting with an aging reclusive actress as a birthday gift for his mother, a longtime fan of the actress.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2012 12:41:07 AM PST
yooper says:
I saw this movie 15-20 years ago(I think). I guess that you would call it a romantic comedy? I think that it was about a real actress but I cannot remember the name of the actress.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 1:35:16 AM PST
yooper says:
solved: the movie was "garbo talks" starring anne bancroft and ron silver, 1984.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 3:56:55 AM PST
Balok says:
You sure that it wasn't "Patrasche: A Dog of Flanders"?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 5:50:53 AM PST
yooper says:
It definitely was "Garbo Talks". Clips are available on YOUTUBE. "Patrasche: A Dog of Flanders" does sound interesting though. Yooper

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:50:00 AM PST
D. Larson says:
"For the Love of Benji",right?

Gloria Swason was the actress, and Farley Granger played the dog?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:57:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 2:32:33 PM PST
mack says:
A Dog Named Flanders is a heart-warming movie for the whole family. The 1959 verision. EXCUSE ME : A DOG OF FLANDERS!"

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:40:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 5:13:27 PM PST
"A heart-warming movie for the whole family" in general is completely equivalent to "Sentimental tripe, badly written and acted."

And do bother to get the title right: It's A Dog Of Flanders, a children's story filmed many times. By a real mistress of Victorian sentimentality at its ripest, Ouida. It almost out-Dickens Dickens; in The Old Curiosity Shop, only Little Nell dies; here, both the boy and the dog die. (An original ending omitted in the 1959 version.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:16:09 AM PST
wait! i'll ask mom...sounds like her type of stuff..

your frind kent

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:51:01 PM PST
mack says:
I thought A dog of Flanders was a good. And in my opinion the acting was good and enjoed thrt story..The 1959 verision with David Ladd,Donald Crisp, & Theodore. The finest film version of Ouida's classaic.A charming tale of love, friendship and a dog named Patrasche.A genuinely loving portrait of childhood. Correction and with Theodore
Bikel...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 2:24:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 2:33:44 PM PST
mack says:
Funny! They are two entirely different movies. Oh bye the way did you ever see the movie "A Dog Named Flanders."

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 2:40:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 2:47:29 PM PST
mack says:
A Dog of Flanders is heart-warming and I thought it wasn't boring or badly written & acted. And I see nothing wrong w/sentimental movies.I like the 1959 verision. I don't mind that this children's story was filmed many times.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 3:03:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 3:11:18 PM PST
mack says:
The Old Curiosity Shop I see no mention of a dog in it? I read what it was about again but no dog mentioned? This movie was released in 2009
and 2006.....The 2009 verision of this moview/Derek Jacobi & Sophie Vavasseur other made in 2006 w/Natlie Ogle. Both verisions there is no mention of a dog......This looks like a good movie.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 4:13:44 PM PST
mack (sigh); It is so tiresome when one has to explain the obvious. I was making comparison between one of Dickens' most extreme displays of sentimentality, the death of Little Nell in The Old Curiosity Shop--Oscar Wilde once noted that "It is impossible to read the death of Little Nell without laughing"--and Ouida's extravagant weepiness in A Dog Of Flanders.

And do get the references right. There are no fewer than 7 adaptations of Ouida's weepy little novella (see http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0653536/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1) and not one is called Patrasche: A Dog of Flanders. There is a film of that title: Patrasche: A Dog of Flanders, Made in Japan, a documentary contrasting the English and Japanese interpretations of Ouida's novella.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 7:13:03 PM PST
D. Larson says:
Mr. Mack, like Conan Doyle, is a master of winding people up...

Gregory (Scotland Yard detective): "Is there any other point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"

Holmes: "To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."

Gregory: "The dog did nothing in the night-time."

Holmes: "That was the curious incident."[

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 9:47:58 PM PST
Balok says:
@D. Larson:

> Gregory: "The dog did nothing in the night-time."
>
> Holmes: "That was the curious incident."

Actually, the curious incident was that the dog went on a package holiday to Flanders.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 6:55:40 AM PST
mack says:
I liked the movie A dog of Flanders .I don't find it weepy at all. I will ck. on that link (imdb)...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 6:56:37 AM PST
mack says:
Last comment : YEH!!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions