Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

The top ten anything thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2017, 6:12:36 AM PDT
Hikari says:
Bonus! to the above:

Movies Featuring Abraham Lincoln as a character

11. The Littlest Rebel (1935) in which young Miss Shirley Temple visits the Lincoln White House even if she is a Confederate sympathizer. Who else but Frank McGlynn, Sr. was Lincoln? :p

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2017, 7:43:26 PM PDT
I think it is an independent film so it is simply done. Bill Paxton, Mark Wahlberg and Julianna Margulies are all excellent.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2017, 2:31:53 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
I'll put it on my priorities list. I didn't meant to suggest I thought it'd be below average, I only meant most of Paxton's movies could be described as average or worse, but he always gives it his best, making them worth watching. Another actor like that for me is Kurt Russell.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2017, 2:11:50 PM PDT
Jonathan, I wouldn't call it substandard. I liked it a lot.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2017, 1:43:06 PM PDT
Deb says:
@ Jonathan Awesome job - and thank you for completing the list! Bit off more than I could chew for sure.... And I don't know how I could've forgotten Henry Fonda's portrayal which is one of the best IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2017, 1:22:50 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
Alright, Deb, I'll give it a try...I'll be surprised if I can find ten good movies I've seen featuring Lincoln as a character....

Top Ten Movies in Which Abraham Lincoln is a Featured Character

1. The Birth of a Nation (Joseph Henabery)
2. Abe Lincoln in Illinois (Raymond Massey)
3. Abraham Lincoln (Walter Huston)
4. The Prisoner of Shark Island (Frank McGlynn Sr.)
5. The Phantom President (Charles Middleton)
6. The Plainsman (Frank McGlynn Sr.)
7. Young Mr. Lincoln (Henry Fonda)
8. Conspirator (Gerald Bestrom)
9. Lincoln (Daniel Day-Lewis)
10. San Antone (Richard Hale)

Just barely made it.

And I would likely put 'The Tall Target' high on the list if I'd seen more than 40 or so minutes of it. Unfortunately I haven't caught it all yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2017, 1:02:19 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
MissM, re: Bill Paxton: "Have you seen him in "Traveller""

I have not yet had the pleasure. Even in substandard movies, Mr. Paxton is always a pleasure to watch. I'll definitely be getting around to 'Traveller' sooner or later. Interesting subject and cast (Luke Askew, Julianna Margulies, James Gammon) and directed by Jack N. Green - who previously photographed all of the Clint Eastwood movies from 1986-to-2000.

Posted on Jun 15, 2017, 12:36:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2017, 12:49:06 PM PDT
Deb says:
Top Ten Movies in Which Abraham Lincoln is a Featured Character/Role

1. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
2. AL: Vampire Hunter
3. Conspirator
4. Abe Lincoln in Illinois
5. AL Vs. the Zombies

Anyone else???

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2017, 12:31:58 PM PDT
@ Jonathan
Re: Top ten favorite Bill Paxton performances

Have you seen him in "Traveller" ???

Posted on Jun 15, 2017, 10:26:08 AM PDT
Top 10 pieces of totally-not-lying-through-my-teeth advise for combating insomnia!

1. Listening to music can lol you to a secure sleep. Well, what better way to fall asleep than to listen to some hard rock with the volume at max? Listening to loud, up-tempo music is a GREAT way to lull yourself to sleep and will in no way get your blood pumping.

2. In fact, you should rock out to this rock concert! I mean, we'll probably need to burn off our excess energy somehow, and while we can work out at the gym or something, we're better off dancing and jumping up and down, making a scene! That will definitely help us fall asleep by tiring ourselves out. I'm SUUURRREE the neighbors will definitely tolerate the loud obnoxious noise and it may even help them sleep steadily.

3. In fact, invite all your friends over and leave and make as much loud noise as humanly possible. Because surrounding yourself with your best buddies and throwing a party will SURELY lol you to a deep stupor and not keep you up until 5 in the morning. Because if listening to people talking can lead you to relax easily, then A LOT of talking in person will REALLY help you relax enough to fall asleep.

4. Play some video games. Now you may think a slow puzzle game, some problem solving, or even a steady turn-based RPG might be the answer. But all of that is completely boring! Being bored is the worst way to fall asleep! Try playing some high-tempo action games with a ton of flashing visuals and perhaps with a difficulty curve. Because playing difficult action games will surely NOT keep you up all night long.

5. By this point in time, it's possible that the sun is finally rising, and you haven't slept a wink. But that's okay, because the first step of helping you sleep easily is through sleep deprivation! The less sleep you get, the more likely you will sleep easily the next day. So by this point in time, we're ready for the second half of advise.

6. You should help yourself to a midnight snack. Some people may have problem sleeping due to hunger pains; in fact, you could argue this solution may help with sleep walking (I know I sleep walk on occasion because I need to use the restroom). But what kinds of foods should do the trick? How about high amounts of sugar and caffeine! I'm not a coffee person myself, but if that's the case, there's always Mountain Dew! Or Red Bull! Because the best way to fall asleep is to drink highly stimulate energy drinks that, if they don't give you a fatal heart attack, will definitely wind you up just long enough to knock you out. As for food, there's chocolate chip cookies, hamburgers, hot dogs, the works. Just go about cooking haphazardly without any sense of what you should be cooking or consuming before bedtime whatsoever!

7. Start doing some house cleaning. Because if there's one thing that we can do when we can't sleep, it's taking care of all that pesky housework that you've been neglecting for months on end because they are a waste of your precious free time. You can clean your room, make your bed, vacuum a bit, do the dishes, pick up the clutter. Or my personal favorite; the annual bathroom cleaning! I'm absolutely positive staying put in the ultimate breeding ground for disease and bacteria while handling some poisonous cleaning materials is a GREAT way to help you fall asleep.

8. Starting to see and hear hallucinations to the point of breaking down into unbridled madness due to a week's worth of sleep depravation? PERFECT! We are clearly on the right track. Because the next step to combating insomnia would be to unleash that madness onto the world! Yellling and screaming and otherwise throwing a hissy fit is the perfect thing to unleashing all that emotional outrage of not sleeping.

9. Once we've had our fill of temper tantrums, we'll still have trouble falling asleep. It's obvious our incredibly unhealthy lifestyles, constant distractions from the world, and otherwise emotional turmoil is what is keeping us form going to sleep. So the next totally sensible step is the one thing we probably should have done from the very beginning! Take lots and lots of drugs! There's certainly all kinds of drugs we can be taking; mostly stuff that will leave you feeling translucent like Nitequil ecstasy or LSD, but you should also consider maybe a twelve-pack of cigarettes, marijuana if it's legal where you live. But the ultimate depressant you should be consuming to the point of loss of consciousness would be alcohol! Yes! Getting your brains utterly smashed is the healthiest solution necessary in helping us fall asleep. And if a few sleeps can lull us into a deep stupor, then a lot of the drinks will REALLY help lull us into a deep stupor.

10. Oh, and don't forget to spike every one of your own drinks with some ruffies. Once you finally recover from a deep state of unconsciousness, one may wake up to find your whole house utterly wrecked, your body and bed covered in puke, and a strange transvestite that you're sure you've never met before right next to you in your bed. Among many other strangers you have no recollection of whatsoever. Or you'll end up dead from the dangerous amount of drug overdose. But that's okay; death is pretty much you going to sleep forever and ever.

WARNING: ALL of these pieces of advise are reckless, if not extremely dangerous. DO NOT follow any of it. Especially not number's 9 or 10. You can actually die if you attempt any of this crap. I also do not condone the act of suicide as a solution to insomnia under any circumstances. If it ever gets to the point that you start hallucinating and becoming constantly on edge, it is best advised that you go to the emergency room where they'll sedate you properly and possibly give you the necessary treatment to combat this problem.

And for the record, yes, I have actually seen people bringing as many people into their house as possible well past midnight before. And these people often end up unable to go to sleep until the sun rises as a result. So I do have some semblance of experience dealing with even the most radical of pieces of advise up there.

As for real advise when dealing with insomnia, the best bet would be to surround yourself in a cool environment and then comfort yourself in a blanket; especially when it's summer. Trying listening to either calm music or to a soothing speaker using some headphones to do so. Maybe even watch a couple of movies. Or read a book until you struggle to keep your eyes open. One time, when I was young, I learned how to sleep properly by watching Cleo--my cat of 18 years and counting--close her eyes tightly and sleep in the most adorable of ways right beside me on my bed. And I mimicked her facial expression.

Posted on Jun 3, 2017, 11:14:58 AM PDT
Top Ten DCEU movies (updated)

1. Wonder Woman
5. Suicide Squad
6. Man of Steel
10. Batman v Superman

Empty spots will be filled as more movies are released. B v S may eventually fall off the bottom.

Posted on Jun 3, 2017, 11:11:00 AM PDT
Top Ten Wonder Woman Origins

1. Wonder Woman By George Perez Vol. 1
2. Wonder Woman Vol. 2: Year One (Rebirth)
3. The Legend of Wonder Woman Vol. 1: Origins
4. Wonder Woman (2017 film)
5. The Wonder Woman Chronicles Vol. 1
6. Wonder Woman: Season 1
7. Wonder Woman: Commemorative Edition
8. Wonder Woman: Earth One Vol. 1
9. Wonder Woman: The True Amazon
10. Secret Origins #6

Posted on May 28, 2017, 8:04:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 28, 2017, 8:06:33 AM PDT
Ten reasons why I think DC is trying to destroy Superman, with the most egregious on top:

1. Injustice: Gods Among Us Year One: The Complete Collection
2. DCU: Justice League: War
3. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Book No. 4
4. The New Frontier
5. Superman: Earth One Vol. 2
6. Flashpoint World Of Flashpoint Superman TP (Superman (DC Comics))
7. Justice League (animated series)
8. Superman Returns
9. Young Justice: The Complete First Season [Blu-ray]
10. Justice League vs. Teen Titans

Since I'm lazy, I'll keep these brief.

1. The Joker tricks Superman into killing Lois Lane. Superman becomes a villain. Amazon flags this as a bestseller, and it has 158 5-star reviews (which is a lot for a comic). The book's popularity (there are five year's worth of this comic) guarantees the destruction of Superman will continue.
2. On first meeting Green Lantern and Batman, Superman tries to kill them.
3. Superman does whatever Reagan tells him to do. He doesn't seem to like humans very much. We want Batman to defeat him.
4. The bit between Wonder Woman and Superman that ends with her telling him "There's the door, spaceman." She's also taller than him.
5. This is an otherwise excellent book that has a 6 page subplot in which Superman intentionally indirectly kills a dictator. (This is very similar to what Wonder Woman did to sex traffickers in New Frontier above.)

6. In this alternate timeline, Superman was kept in darkness his entire life, so he was a 75-pound weakling with no powers.
7. Superman screws up, causing the Justice League to be formed to fix his screw-up. The group stays together to keep an eye on Superman to make sure he doesn't screw up again.
8. ***spoiler*** The movie ends with Superman hovering outside Lois's window (unknown to her), where he totally fails to acknowledge that her kid is his son. (She saw the kid use his powers, but I guess she doesn't believe her eyes and is refusing to believe it.)
9. This is a great series, but Superman has difficulty dealing with the fact that he has a "son" (clone), Superboy.
10. Superman behaves decently in this one. However, it just so happens that he's the first to be possessed. It could be that this was done since he's the most powerful.

Many of these are set in alternate universes, but is it too much to ask for some alternate universes where Superman isn't a twit?

Posted on May 26, 2017, 8:08:30 PM PDT
baker says:
Ten upcoming 2017 movies I want to see:

1. The Mummy
2. Dunkirk
3. Detroit
4. War for Planet of the Apes
5. The Hitman's Bodyguard
6. Renegades
7. American Assassin
8. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
9. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
10. Spiderman: Homecoming

Posted on May 26, 2017, 1:47:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 26, 2017, 1:48:08 PM PDT
The upcoming movies I'm looking forward to seeing the most if I can is Captain Underpants (seems hilarious based on the previews), Cars 3 (absolutely loved the first two), Despicable Me 3 (again absolutely loved the first two and Minions too), The Dark Tower (my favorite Stephen King books by far), It (the original miniseries has long been my favorite horror movie of all-time), and possibly Coco and Mary Magdalene too.

Posted on May 24, 2017, 3:34:54 AM PDT
Jonathan says:
Top ten Spring-Summer movies of 2017 I'm looking forward to seeing (in theaters, ideally)...

1. The Glass Castle (Destin Daniel Cretton)
2. Wilson (Craig Johnson, Daniel Clowes)
3. Colossal (Nacho Vigalondo)
4. Brad's Status (Mike White)
5. Dean (Demetri Martin)
6. Beatriz at Dinner (Miguel Arteta, Mike White)
7. Baby Driver (Edgar Wright)
8. Logan Lucky (Steven Soderbergh)
9. Alien: Covenant (Ridley Scott)
10. Wakefield (Robin Swicord)

And I'm intending to catch Terence Davies’s excellent 'A Quiet Passion' one more time before it slips off the big screen. It's been a boon period these past six months for first-rate films about poets, with 'Neruda', 'Patterson', and now Davies' gem finally reaching American theaters. A real shame that more aren't taking advantage of'em. Best stuff of the year so far.

Posted on May 24, 2017, 3:31:43 AM PDT
Jonathan says:
Top ten best performers and artists born 24 May:

1. Bob Dylan, American singer-songwriter, actor, etc. (born 1941, 76 years old today)
2. Mai Zetterling, Swedish actress and director (1925 – 1994)
3. Jim Broadbent, English actor (68 years old now)
4. Joan Micklin Silver, American director and screenwriter (82 today)
5. John C. Reilly, American actor, signer (52)
6. Siobhán McKenna, Irish actress (1923 – 1986)
7. Alfred Molina, English actor (64)
8. Déborah François, Belgian actress (30)
9. Lilli Palmer, German-American actress (1914 – 1986)
10. Kristin Scott Thomas, English actress (57)

Posted on May 18, 2017, 6:31:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2017, 6:31:51 AM PDT
Top Ten Wonder Woman Origins

1. Wonder Woman By George Perez Vol. 1
2. Wonder Woman Vol. 2: Year One (Rebirth)
3. The Legend of Wonder Woman Vol. 1: Origins
4. The Wonder Woman Chronicles Vol. 1
5. Wonder Woman: Season 1
6. Wonder Woman: Commemorative Edition
7. Wonder Woman: Earth One Vol. 1
8. Wonder Woman: The True Amazon
9. Secret Origins #6

I left a space for the new movie.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2017, 4:39:51 PM PDT
Thank you for including Chet. He is the big brother we all loathe, and Paxton did this so well in "Weird Science". Almost cartoon-like in his menace and intensity.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2017, 9:11:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2017, 9:12:13 AM PDT
Larry Kelley says:
It happens a lot that we do not sufficiently appreciate people until they are gone. I really liked Paxton but probably did not appreciate his talent as much as I should have. Fine list.

Posted on May 17, 2017, 12:39:27 AM PDT
Jonathan says:
On his birthday...

Top ten favorite Bill Paxton performances:

1. Severen in 'Near Dark'
2. Dale "Hurricane" Dixon in 'One False Move'
3. Dad Meiks in 'Frailty'
4. Hank Mitchell in 'A Simple Plan'
5. Private Hudson in 'Aliens'
6. Gus in 'The Dark Backward'
7. Joe Loder in 'Nightcrawler'
8. Bill "The Extreme" Harding in 'Twister'
9. Vince Gillian in 'Trespass'
10. Lunar Module Pilot Fred Haise in 'Apollo 13'

Runner's-up:
Morgan Earp in 'Tombstone'; Jim Reston in 'Brain Dead'; Clyde the Bartender in 'Streets of Fire'; Chet Donnelly in 'Weird Science'; Wayne Caraway in 'Mean Dreams'; Punk Leader in 'The Terminator'; Master Sergeant Farell in 'Edge of Tomorrow'; Interceptor in 'Commando'; Simon in 'True Lies'; and Cadet Major Gilbreath in 'The Lords of Discipline' (originally credited as "Wild Bill" Paxton!)

Posted on May 16, 2017, 8:08:44 PM PDT
I first read the complete Canon when I was, oh, about 11. It was a Christmas gift. I finished it in two or three days. That was the first of many, many transversals.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2017, 4:59:02 PM PDT
Hikari says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 16, 2017, 4:34:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2017, 4:38:47 PM PDT
H: To the second list, which is, I think, more objective than the first, although I can't really fault any of the choices on either--I might substitute The Problem Of Thor Bridge for The Bruce-Partington Plans.

And we might as well rank the novels: I would say

1. The Hound Of The Baskervilles
2. A Study In Scarlet
3. The Sign Of Four
4. The Valley Of Fear

And if forced to pick the single best story: Silver Blaze, if only for the definitive Sherlockismus:

“Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?”

“To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time.”

“The dog did nothing in the night-time.”

“That was the curious incident,” remarked Sherlock Holmes.

Posted on May 16, 2017, 2:42:54 PM PDT
Hikari says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 297 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  138
Total posts:  7404
Initial post:  May 16, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 16, 2017

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers