Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports STEM
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Rate The Last Movie You Watched

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1951-1975 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 9:58:38 AM PST
LK: Last Year at Marienbad is a touchstone film for me--it defines a certain type of great film, and I do think that it is an indisputably great film, albeit not to everyone's taste. For me, it's a bit like a pure exercise in style that is at the same time both about nothing, and about a great deal--in particular, about the experience of how we perceive the world through memory. (Not the sentimental twaddle type of so-called memory piece like Capote's A Thanksgiving Memory, however.) The fact that it's also remarkably beautiful certainly is a factor, as also its deliberate pace and extreme formality. It stretches the boundaries of conventional narrative in a way similar to other films I admire--like Memento, and The Saragossa Manuscript, and The Big Sleep, and Time Regained, and The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (many of Raul Ruiz's films, in fact).

If you want to stretch your mind with another unconventional narrative, try Time Regained.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 9:59:33 AM PST
T. spencer says:
Yes. " you can't let them in here, they will see the big board! "

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 10:00:12 AM PST
TS: Valley of the Dolls is a long-time favorite here. It's the Citizen Kane of trash.

There is a sequel to the novel--Shadow of the Dolls--that you might enjoy.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 10:01:00 AM PST
I don't see Strangelove--a film I admire, by the way--as anything but a satire.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 10:02:54 AM PST
WAS: It's one of my twenty favorite films. One of the smartest screenplays of the 1960s.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 10:04:04 AM PST
T. spencer says:
i will check it out, thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 10:06:40 AM PST
T. spencer says:
I really enjoy the part when the U.S. president is talking to the Russian president on the phone.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 10:12:36 AM PST
"Why do you think I'm calling you? Just to say hello? Of course I like to speak to you! Of course I like to say hello! Not now, but anytime!"

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 10:27:04 AM PST
T. spencer says:
I think only Peter Sellers could deliver that performance.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 10:28:01 AM PST
You mean those THREE performances.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 10:30:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 9:20:05 AM PST
You know that Gen. Ripper is modeled on the late Gen. Curtis LeMay, the father of the modern Air Force, and a bane to liberals.

Once when he was asked by an obnoxious journalist how many nuclear bombs he really needed, he snapped "Two. One for the Kremlin and one for Harvard Square."

You have to love the man.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 10:31:48 AM PST
T. spencer says:
yes that is right. He was suppose to play major kong too. But I think Slim Pickings was born to play that part.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 10:39:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2013 10:50:47 AM PST
Monsieur Hire (1989)

Here is one of the deepest films on the subject of love that I have ever seen. Highly recommended.

10/10

And it's on Instant Netflix!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 11:59:50 AM PST
Skyfall 8/10

Gave it an 8 for being a good action film.

A lot of Bond elements were left out and i still feel these new movies are way too long, thus one at 2 hours 23 min.

I didn't feel like i was watching a Bond movie, just a regular action thriller.

But I did enjoy it for what it was.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 1:47:10 PM PST
C McGhee says:
William A. Smith- Faster Pussy Cat, Kill! Kill!

It is amazing how poor Super Vixens was compared to that one. I believe it fell pray to the old theory that each aspect of a sequel much exceed the original, or maybe Russ just lost his mind. I will take the time to say thanks for telling me about Time Regained. It's a movie I'm glad I own & will watch again.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 1:50:17 PM PST
stevign says:
LOLOLove it.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 4:52:47 PM PST
The Stepfather

You know what is going to happen but you watch anyway. At least that is our excuse. I guess it is the revenge factor we crave.
Not sure if I saw the original version, it is supposed to be excellent. This one is decent, even if a bit implausable.
On that note, Amber Heard is actually growing younger. She looks like a 15 year old playing a 17 year old. Yet she is 23?
Implausable.

3 1/2 stars

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 4:58:24 PM PST
As a look at man's ego of his place in the world, Planet Of The Apes is still damn relevant!

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 7:55:11 AM PST
CC: I will simply continue to maintain that Planet of the Apes is an extremely silly movie with pretensions of significance. As science fiction it fails, because there is no plausible science. As a social allegory, it also fails.

Reasonable minds will disagree.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 9:08:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 9:09:08 AM PST
T. spencer says:
That's why there are so many types of movies out there. But I still like Planet of the Apes.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 5:37:01 PM PST
Larry Kelley says:
The first movie was interesting. I hadn't read the book. The scene when they come upon the Statue of Liberty destroyed had a shock value. I enjoyed the movie but realized right away that I was being messaged. Message one was: Oh we stupid humans, we have destroyed our world! (or that we were going to do that if we didn't change our awful ways). That was not a new message. That message had been sent via films for years and years. What was new was that the apes were intelligent and treated humans as if they were not. This is a message about how awful we, the white, Anglo-Saxon, Protestants (WASPS) had treated everyone that was different than us (racism) and in particular the Afro-Americans. At the time I wondered how Afro-Americans would view the movie. Once again not a new message, but presented in a somewhat newer format. So I did not, do not, hold the movie in disdain as others--but the endless sequels were boring, very boring. They became a mockery of their message in that WASPS reaction to the movie was: "Lets kill all the apes." This last may not be a fair criticism, I only watched one sequel in full, caught parts of others over the years. Boring.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 5:51:05 PM PST
Killer's Kiss

It shows off some brilliant Kubrick material, but overall, nothing extraordinary. It's good, not great.

7/10

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 7:28:42 PM PST
Zolar Waka says:
Yes, Franco is very hard to break into, especially when you get past '75. I'm not sure how my recommendations will go over as I tend to enjoy things in film that most people don't....like lack of plot, meandering narrative, lack of meaning, very long takes, odd pacing. However, with Franco, I find the best example of all of these coming together. One of his most famous films is "Venus in Furs" from the latter half of the 60's, but I, in agreement with Franco himself, didn't like a lot of the editing choices (over which Franco lost control at the end). Otherwise, this would've been a top 5 Franco film for me. "Dracula, Prisoner of Frankenstein" is absolutely hypnotic; same for "The Sinister Eyes of Dr. Orloff." An early Franco (his horror films from the early 60's were mostly gothic) that I've seen recently was "The Diabolical Dr. Z." These things are so much fun to watch. BUT, don't invest much because I can't really recommend to anyone wholeheartedly because one's reaction to Franco is extremely personal.

"Faceless" is much later and good Franco too.

I'd suggest Netflix...I've seen that some of the recent Redemption re-releases are available on Netflix, as is "Bloody Judge" with Christopher Lee from the late '60's. I'm sure there are others, but I actually invest in the discs when it comes to Franco.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 8:11:00 AM PST
LK: I think that Goldwyn's Dictum--If you want to send a message, use Western Union--applies with great force to POTA, its sequels, and its prequel.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 11:10:39 AM PST
T. spencer:

"I'm All Right Jack" and "Dr. Strangelove....." are, I think, examples of Sellers' finest work on film. "Strangelove" qualifies as one of the all-time great films and is certainly the best political satire ever made.

"Hello, Dimitri. Listen, I can't hear you too well. Do you suppose you could you turn the music down just a little? Oh, that's much better. ....... Now then, Dimitri, you know how we've talked about the possibility of something going wrong with the bomb. The bomb, Dimitri. The hydrogen bomb."

Anthony Harvey, who edited Strangelove, would direct "The Lion in Winter" eight years later.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  201
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jun 15, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 3, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions