Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl National Bike Month on Amazon toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Your Review of the Last Movie You Watched

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 8451-8475 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012, 5:24:33 PM PST
H: Vancouver's airport is indeed an attractive one. I got to know it quite well. It (along with Toronto) has some of the longest customs and emigration lines I have experienced anywhere.

Allowing extra time for travel for important events is always a good idea. Personally, I loathe weddings, or, more accurately, wedding receptions--bad, noisy parties with too many people behaving badly. I haven't attended one in 10 years, and will not attend one under any circumstances until when and if my goddaughter gets married. And I would encourage her to go to Vegas and invest whatever else might go into the shindig in a condo instead.

During those periods when I was traveling a good deal on business, I would travel over 100,000 miles a year, almost always alone. Bring a good book. The longest trips I think I've had on a regular basis were Atlanta-Kuwait City--depending, either Atlanta-Dubai-Kuwait, or Kuwait-Washington DC-Atlanta. Usually about 16+ hours in transit.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012, 5:32:27 PM PST
JNS: Well, predictably, the NYT reviewer loved it. The last Lincoln biography I read was David Donald's, and certainly Lincoln was no dedicated abolitionist. The Civil War, contrary to the view increasingly bruited about, was about more than slavery, and Lincoln's choices about emancipation were dictated by political issues as well as moral concern.

Spielberg, it would seen, has delivered another one-dimensional moral fable along the lines of Schlinder's List. Move to the head of the Oscar list, please. It's based on a book by Doris Goodwin--not a person I would put in the first rank of historians, and in particular a blatant apologist for the career of Lyndon Johnson.

I very much doubt that I will see Lincoln. Frankly, I'd rather read another book on the subject.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012, 7:23:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012, 3:46:15 PM PST
Steelers fan says:
"Flight"--Denzel Washington portrays a stewardess-bedding, coke-snorting, booze-swilling airline pilot who pulls off a miraculous crash landing and must deal with the aftermath. Film isn't content to depict "Whip" as a mere imbiber, however; he ingests enough alcohol and blow to kill a dozen elephants. The question of how he got away with such behavior before the disaster in the movie occurs is left pretty much unanswered. Movie tries to combine disaster flick, suspense cover-up, and substance-abuse human-interest drama, and ends up making the viewer feel a little queasy in the process. It also tries, unsuccessfully, at humor with John Goodman's character; it doesn't work. I never saw a hotel minibar like the one depicted here; it resembles a distillery warehouse!
Washington has played this type of cocksure good/bad guy over and over again, and he's good at it, but he can't save this. One and a half stars.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012, 9:46:19 PM PST
C McGhee says:
Larry Kelley- TGWKTHN book

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012, 9:50:29 PM PST
C McGhee says:
William A. Smith- Diary of a Madman

My wife watched it just last night & loved it. The luminosity of the colors off of the LD is a marvel. They of course had to compress those signals when they made DVD's. I'm glad I'm not storing over 2100 LD's but I love the ones I own including Forbidden Planet which I have in every format you can buy & DVD-r off the TV. Yes, I'm crazy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012, 9:52:53 PM PST
C McGhee says:
Hikari- Wallander

I have yet to get to any of that but I will eventually. There's too much good said about it here.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012, 9:59:42 PM PST
C McGhee says:
Hikari- I think given a choice, I would choose frivolous Copenhagen over serious Stockholm

I had an aunt that was from Copenhagen, she came over here at the ripe age of 20. She was also the classic case of Danish beauty & remained so until the age of about 75. A truly marvelous woman that raised children to be independent & industrious adults mainly on her own, as her husband was the oldtime kind of wage earner. I always loved visiting their home.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012, 10:10:29 PM PST
Hikari says:
@Chas
Good; happy to act as evangelist for Sir Ken's baby. The sensibility is very similar to Steig Larsson's work. Wallander works in Ystad, an idyllic-looking southern port city, but the beautiful place has a lot of rottenness underneath. I have not read any of the books by Mankell, so I went in without preconceived notions about what Wallander looked like. Branagh pitches himself perfectly to the material. The cast of UK actors speaks in their normal voices; no accents attempted, though whenever print media or computer text is shown, it's in Swedish. To me this flows organically. After a few minutes you tend to forget the nationality of the actors and just accept that this is a Swedish story.

By the way, this series is its own remake of the Swedish original series of telefilms of Wallander. Those are a bit hard to obtain; Netflix does not carry them, and I haven't seen any. But Noomi's husband, Ola Rapace, plays one of the members of Wallander's squad. Not sure who; perhaps "Magnus", played by Tom Hiddleston in the BBC version.

Based on your fandom for Steig Larsson, I am confident that you will like Wallander. Series 3 was just released last month.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 1:43:12 AM PST
C McGhee says:
Hikari- Wallander

Well I like Branagh good enough though I've not seen his Hamlet. Henry V, Much Ado About Nothing, Frankenstein, Rabbit Proof Fence & Shackleton I've seen & liked. Will keep an eye out for Noomi's husband.
The computer says he plays Stefan Lindman in Wallander. I know he's in Skyfall & I see he was in a sex comedy called All About My Bush which gets stinker reviews. Maybe he should shave the pubes? :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 7:19:47 AM PST
Steelers: Thanks for the review. It confirms my suspicions about this film. Given your character description, however, and knowing how Oscar adores dysfunction and disease--nomination!!

Big points, in particular, to getting right to the heart of the plausibility issue--one which I find increasingly important in films--viz., "The question of how he got away with such behavior before the disaster in the movie occurs is left pretty much unanswered."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 7:21:08 AM PST
CM and H: When I was a child, some of the our close family friends were Danish. They were marvels in entertaining.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 7:48:44 AM PST
Hikari says:
@Chas
Your post was the first thing I read this morning. Pube jokes before breakfast--what a bracing way to wake up! :p

If Ola's playing who I think he's playing, his character is high-profile in one of the episodes, shot by the BBC as episode 3 of Series 1.

The DVDs of the BBC series have interesting bonus features that cover the phenomenon that is Wallander in Sweden. Tourists now flock to Ystad to see Kurt's favorite haunts because Mankell put in real places. Wallander has a favorite hot dog stand, his own table at a top restaurant and etc. The show shoots in some of these places. The production design is really outstanding. Add Ystad to the list of places I must now see.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 11:00:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012, 11:02:02 AM PST
You really are just begging for attention, aren't you?

I find it highly disturbing that you would even share something like that on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 11:16:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012, 11:22:16 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 11:17:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012, 11:28:22 AM PST
Yes, and it's also called unnecessary disturbing posting.

I have no desire to go back into the past to read arguments that others have indulged themselves in because I have no sort of time for that, and I find it uncomforting. But seeing how this is a movie forum and not 1. A politics forum; 2. A personal life forum, I find it not only disturbing but surprising that you would post something as graphic and horrific as domestic violence of your past. I don't mind people throwing in background life like pets, but domestic abuse? That's going too far. Seek a psychologist, not posters on a movie forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 11:26:21 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 11:29:49 AM PST
And I have been trying to avoid them for as long as possible.

Like I said before, the privacy of a one-on-one discussion with a therapist guarantees less animosity than posting on the Internet, Amazon or no.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012, 11:35:20 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 11:37:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012, 11:40:51 AM PST
Oh come now, give me a break. Americans versus British over domestic abuse? How about sane vs. insane?

No, I was trying to tell you that I and several others (judging from how many people think your post adds to the discussion) find your marks highly disturbing and discomforting and I am politely asking you to refrain from doing it again.

And do not think for one second that I am not sorry for what happened to you. Of course my deepest sympathies go to you, but keep it out of here, please.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 11:43:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012, 11:45:35 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 11:45:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012, 11:45:42 AM PST
Ok.

I wasn't singling you out. It just so happened that your post was but a day ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 11:48:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012, 11:50:35 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012, 11:52:50 AM PST
Nice try for sarcasm.

How about you first decide what is discomforting to some folks and then not post it, or send them the story in a private message? Most people come here to discuss movies and very rarely private affairs (and almost never ones this gruesome).

Posted on Nov 11, 2012, 12:23:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012, 12:34:07 PM PST

Posted on Nov 11, 2012, 12:38:13 PM PST
PoM: Unfortunately, some people do not have a filter that allows them to understand the difference between EI (enough information) and TMI (too much information). Some people share things on line that they would not in ordinary polite conversation--assuming always, of course, that they knew what ordinary polite conversation was. And some people simply are so desperate for attention that they think, wrongly, that we might be interested in every detail of their lives--and that, in fact, their life history constitutes a valid basis for aesthetic judgment--viz. the comment that start this all.

Since, as you rightly point out, we come here to discuss film and related topics as they arise, it is not at all appropriate to try and turn this into an encounter group (or other substitute for good therapy) for the discussion of painful life experiences. It is the apex of folly to assume that others would care--or, indeed, should care, as comparative strangers. Particularly in the case of someone who has already displayed markedly neurotic traits and has before imposed on our collective good natures.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  272
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers