Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts spring Book House Cleaning henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Man of Steel

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 651 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012, 8:37:58 AM PST
stevign says:
re: "You got to be kiddin"

Wow, my post was only one sentence long and you "still" missed the part where I asked if they were different movies? Would you like to try again or get an English interpreter? ;~)

Posted on Dec 16, 2012, 10:38:02 PM PST
J. Case says:
It looks like Superman will have doubters that he is a super hero in Man of Steel.
Do you think there will be a cameo of a super villain that isn't Lex Luthor?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012, 11:59:07 PM PST
stevign says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012, 3:45:09 AM PST
@J Case

From what I've read about the movie, the villain is going to be General Zod.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012, 5:50:13 AM PST
W.T. Keeton says:
I just want to see a big-budget Justice League movie done right. It kind of grates me that the Avengers, which only exist as an intentional and openly admitted copy of the JLA, got a movie first, and now it's #1 all-time.

But because that happened, the Justice League is now doomed to be "John Cartered". Just as "John Carter" was knocked as derivative only because other movies copied it's story first, now people will say that the Justice League movie is "ripping off" the Avengers, even though the Avengers are the copycat.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012, 6:00:11 AM PST
Watched the trailers.

Considered the director and the producer.

Looks uncomfortably like Fran Leibowitz's observation on brown rice: ponderous, overly chewy, and possessed of unpleasant religious associations.

Do we really need an anti-heroic Superman as The Man Of Sorrows?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012, 8:06:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012, 8:13:16 AM PST
W.T. Keeton says:
The biggest problem is that, while the trailer shows a potentially very well-done movie, it doesn't seem like a lot of fun. Nolan's "Dark Knight" movies worked so well because Batman is supposed to be dark and a little depressing. Superman is supposed to be inspiring and uplifting. There's not room for very much darkness in a good Superman movie because the character is fundamentally supposed to be a glowing paragon for us to follow, a virtual Christ figure.

The best Superman stories have gotten around this seeming dramatic limitation by having the drama involve the supporting cast that revolves around the infallible guy in the middle, the only constant in that they can always count on. The best Superman movie that could be made would similarly play up that contrast between the fallibility of mankind versus the infallibility of Superman. That works very well dramatically, especially when Clark Kent is thrown into the mix, as the Godlike beings manner of coming down to stand among the fallible ones, making Clark Kent (not Superman) the true Christ figure, because he is the expression of the hero's love for humanity and his desire to descend to live among us as a way to better save us, like Christ.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012, 9:00:17 AM PST
I remember Bryan Singer's Superman Returns movie strongly emphasized the Christian overtones.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012, 9:34:07 AM PST
Cavaradossi says:
A Dark Superman is a contradiction and should never be attempted. Nolan and Snyder will probably attempt to deliver one. No thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012, 11:37:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012, 11:37:28 AM PST
W.T. Keeton says:
And those parts of Singer's movie worked pretty well. The place where it got off track was with the whole "illegitimate child" stuff. Nothing is more antithetical to Superman than that. And "Lois" didn't look at all like Lois Lane...they should have gotten that brunette from "Criminal Minds" - She looks more like Lois than Margot Kidder even, and she has that Kidder rasp already in her voice!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012, 12:16:07 PM PST
Definitely agree about the illegitimate child stuff in that movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012, 8:51:48 PM PST
J. Case says:
I know it's going to be General Zod but I'm talking about a teaser for Man of Steel 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012, 8:54:27 PM PST
J. Case says:
Superman Returns That movie had so many problems including so little action that you get more action in the old Superman cartoons that weren't that long, or in a Superman The animated series episode.
There was one positive thing that came from that embarassment it's this is how you don't make a Superman movie, and don't try to be a loose sequel either reboot or make a sequel.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012, 9:04:54 PM PST
stevign says:
Man of Aluminum

Posted on Dec 20, 2012, 5:19:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012, 5:21:12 AM PST
W.T. Keeton says:
The one thing I am hopeful about with the new movie is that, with Nolan involved, it will be about something more important than just superhero action. Like the Dark Knight movies, I'm hoping for a real, mature, well-written movie that just happens to have a superhero as its main character, as opposed to a traditional "superhero movie". Not that those can't be a lot of fun (I loved the Avengers), but like the Dark Knight trilogy, I want a movie that actually MEANS something.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012, 6:16:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012, 6:18:05 AM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Bill

But with Nolan involved we're likely to get a very dark take on Superman, and that is EXACTLY what shouldn't happen with this character. Superman is the one comic book hero who mustn't be depicted with all sorts of dark human problems. I think that was one of the things that helped drag down Superman Returns, not the least of which was giving him an illegitimate child. Superman having sex with Lois Lane in the second movie was also a wrong turn with the character, but at least the harm that caused was quickly reversed. You can't reverse a child, nor should you want to.

You can show Superman having problems that derive from his Kryptonian origin, but not human ones, such as in Superman II, but, like there, they should be resolvable by reason of his being on Earth, not Krypton. Showing him as having inherent dark human problems is not being true to the character, origin, meaning, and appeal of Superman.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 8:54:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012, 8:58:18 AM PST
W.T. Keeton says:
My ideal movie would be one with real meaning, but one that is inspirational. A movie that does what Superman is supposed to do: inspire us to be better than we already are.

If it were me doing it, I would like to see real-world issues dealt with, but in the sense that regular people see what Superman is doing to help them, and they decide, if he can do that for me, then I need to do my part as well! And the drug user gives up his junk. The runaway goes home to patch things up with her folks. The abusive husband seeks help. The lady having an affair breaks it off.

Something like that could be the "side story" built around a superhero adventure of Superman saving the world. It would provide gravitas to the story without sullying Superman himself.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012, 10:18:09 AM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Bill

That does sound attractive, but I think the creators of Superman realized early on that, if Superman can "save the world", he should do so, but then there wouldn't be any meaningful stories left to tell. The producers and writers of Superman: The Motion Picture apparently saw this problem when they had Jor-El warn his son not to interfere with human matters, clearly a reference to "saving the world".

PS: I hope Jor-El was his father's name and not Superman's. I'm going on memory here.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012, 11:00:15 AM PST
Before Margot Kidder was Lois, Margot Kidder didn't look like Lois.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 11:50:13 AM PST
FallenMarvel says:
You're right, Cav. Hearing Son of Jor-El in Superman II so many times helped me remember.

You make a good point. Aside from Supes being who he is, I'm more interested in seeing the thing that shape him. It's all fine and dandy that he's the golden boy savior of earth, but I'd rather know WHY he wants to do the right thing. All the other films portrayed Supes as "I'm Superman and I'm here to save you all" that's pretty much it. I'm all for giving him some depth.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 11:55:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012, 1:47:38 PM PST
@J Case

I think that the reason they use Lex Luthor as a villain quite frequently is because he's the most well-known to casual fans.

Lex Luthor's power is his intellect. In my opinion, we haven't truly seen that reflected on the big screen. That's one reason why I can't stand the old movies. He was more like a used car salesman than a criminal mastermind.

Rosenbaum's version of the character on Smallville is the closest to the comics. That is, if you ignore the tedious love triangles and angsty melodrama directed at teenage girls.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 12:21:11 PM PST
@K. Q. Jackson

That's what I'm interested in seeing as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 12:26:37 PM PST
Hikari says:
@Cav
You're right: Jor-El is the father of Superman. The kid's real name is Kal-el.

Nicholas Cage, #1 Superman fan, comic book collector and aspirant to play him (really) has named his son Kal-El. Really. The kid's name is Kal-El Coppola. And we think we have problems . . .!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 12:33:38 PM PST
FallenMarvel says:
Could be worse. A kid can be named Yuji Naka after the creator of Sonic the Hedgehog. Sadly this is fact to a young unfortunate soul.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012, 9:23:45 PM PST
Boss Oxmyx says:
Personally, I would like the play IT'S A BIRD, IT'S A PLANE, IT'S SUPERMAN (without the songs) to be the basis for a feature film, or the Saturday Night Live sketch Uberman (if baby Kal-El had landed in post World War I Germany and been raised as a Nazi) to be the basis for a feature film (with great power comes great responsibility is hokum; power corrupts).
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  49
Total posts:  651
Initial post:  Jul 30, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 10, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers