Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Book House Cleaning henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

The top ten anything thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 24, 2017, 5:55:00 PM PDT
Top Ten Female Mystery/Thriller Writers:

1. Patricia Highsmith
2. Ruth Rendell
3. Gladys Mitchell
4. Charlotte Armstrong
5. Shirley Jackson
6. Mary Roberts Rinehart
7. Kate Wilhelm
8. P. D. James
9. Agatha Christie
10. Vera Caspary

For whatever reason I've not yet read any of the following (but probably should):
Josephine Tey, Frances Crane, Mabel Seeley, Dorothy Sayers, Phoebe Atwood Taylor, Mary Higgins Clark, Sue Grafton, and most of the rest on Larry's list.

Posted on Apr 20, 2017, 3:15:40 PM PDT
Larry Kelley says:
Top Ten Mystery/Thriller Writers, Female
1. Louise Penny
2. Sue Grafton
3. Carol O'Connell
4. Virginia Lanier (deceased)
5. Judy Mercer (deceased)
6. Agatha Christie
7. Catherine Coulter (she has started using a co-writer so she almost didn't make my list)
8. Nevade Barr
9. Sara Paretsky
10. Linda Barnes

Also although they are still writing some romances: Nora Roberts (as J.D. Robb), Julie Garfield, and there are a number I either didn't care for or have never tried such as Patricia Cornwall, Lisa Scottiline (SP), many others.

Posted on Apr 20, 2017, 12:14:09 PM PDT
My Top Ten Horror Films That Don't Depend Much on Blood and Violence to Be Effective

The Haunting (1963)
The Others
The Seventh Victim
Ghost Story
The Orphanage
The Ring
The Innocents
Don't Look Now
The Spiral Staircase
The Changeling

I would have included such gems as Karl Freund's The Mummy but this for me is not a genuinely thrilling or frightening experience, though clearly it's a great piece of Universal horror cinema. Actually the best and most creepy scene in that movie is when the Scroll of Thoth is read aloud by Ralph Norton (Bramwell Fletcher)-- words which bring life to Imhotep; Norton's hysterical fit of maddening laughter at seeing the monster come to life is simply chilling and quite believable.

Plus, temptation almost made me include Kubrick's The Shining (one of my most beloved scary movies), but I was on the fence. While a good chunk of this macabre movie does not include mayhem, there's that elevator full of blood that Danny sees in a vision, as well as Jack attacking Halloran with the ax in the third act. Maybe we can consider this film an honorable mention or runner up.

Posted on Apr 20, 2017, 10:32:27 AM PDT
My favorite Golden Age comics

All EC titles until the censorship war.
Walt Disney's Comics and Stories
All Star Comics
Detective Comics
Batman
The Kilroys
Ha Ha Comics
Star Spangled Comics
Action Comics
Wow Comics
Jungle Comics
Tarzan
Johnny Mack Brown
Six Gun Heros
Ghost Rider

That'll do,I guess.

Posted on Apr 20, 2017, 5:03:56 AM PDT
10 Best Vertigo (DC) Comics

1. Swamp Thing (particularly Alan Moore, but other writers as well)
2. The Sandman
3. The Invisibles
4. Doom Patrol (Grant Morrison, Rachel Pollock)
5. Fables (and related spin-offs, except for Jack)
6. Shade the Changing Man (Issues 1-50)
7. The Unwritten (first 6 volumes)
8. Hellblazer
9. Y: The Last Man
10. The Books of Magic (original 4 issue mini-series)

Runners up: Global Frequency, Stardust, Death: The High Cost of Living, The Filth, We3, Mercy, Enigma

[V for Vendetta has been retroactively been labeled Vertigo.]
This is limited by what I've read, of course, and I haven't read enough of Lucifer or Transmetropolitan to include them. If I were an atheist, I suppose I would like Preacher more.
Hmm, How is Morrison's Seven Soldiers of Victory not a Vertigo book?

Posted on Apr 9, 2017, 8:43:21 PM PDT
Larry Kelley says:
A Shot In The Dark
Bringing Up Baby
Airplane
Amelie
The Princess Bride
Support Your Local Sheriff
Support Your Local Gunfighter
Hot Shots (Charlie Sheen)

There are others, I just can't think of them. It is tedious for me to make up a list as I many times cannot remember the name of the movie (for certain) and have to look them up and then come back and add the movie to my list. Not whining here, just a fact. And still I make big mistakes. My advice to all is, don't get old--and no, I do not have a good idea of what you should do as an alternative.

Posted on Apr 9, 2017, 3:12:34 PM PDT
Again--tastes differ. I recently tried to watch The Pink Panther again, and was amazing at how boring and repetitive I found it to be.

Posted on Apr 9, 2017, 2:22:08 PM PDT
Tastes differ, folks. No Pink Panther?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2017, 2:19:34 PM PDT
And Bob Hope is there, and Jack, George, Lucy, Milton, et. al.

Posted on Apr 9, 2017, 7:28:35 AM PDT
Boy, nothing elicits differing responses more than comedy. I agree with Larry about "It's A Mad,....." which I find utterly unwatchable, but disagree about The Producers, which is as fresh and funny as it was when it came out. Pocketful Of Miracles--sentimental twaddle. Others--what about Tom Jones? Or any of the Doris Day comedies--I'd single out The Thrill Of It All? (The best of them, Pillow Talk, is one of the great films of the 1950s.) Or Woody Allen's brilliant first film, What's Up, Tiger Lily? Or, for that matter, some of Bunuel's films, notably The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie? Or Our Man Flint? Or Bedazzled?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2017, 2:38:34 PM PDT
Stephen,

Good grief! You are so right, of course. I don't know how I left that off (or why I didn't notice it after I left it off). Everyone will have a different Top 10 Sixties Comedies list, but I bet Dr. Strangelove would be on more lists than any other film. I will fix this immediately.

Posted on Apr 8, 2017, 2:30:48 PM PDT
Larry,

I'm going to have to cancel our movie date. We seem to have very different tastes in film comedy.

I do agree about 'Mad World,' it's just not funny...but as you said, it's a great extravaganza, a great attempt by a man who had no experience with film comedy. I don't think it's hugeness alone qualifies it for the list, but the good bits have much to offer even if the total is less than satisfying. The scene where the various participants try to figure out how much of the treasure each one gets is brilliant, and for me very funny. Other big comedies, such as 'Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines' and 'The Great Race,' also failed at being funny, so 'Mad World' doesn't really suffer much in comparison.

I am surprised by your response because I have seen plenty of evidence of your sense of humor in this forum. I would like to know your favorite comedies, not to argue with you at all--I won't do that--but to get an idea of why you only liked one of my choices. What are your top 10 comedies? You don't have to stick to the sixties, if you don't want to. And you don't have to stick to 10. Just give me some idea of the comedies you like.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2017, 2:23:49 PM PDT
Jeff-No Dr. Strangelove?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2017, 4:19:24 AM PDT
Larry Kelley says:
"Pocketful of Miracles" was mildly amusing, more of a feel good movie. "It's a Mad . . . . " had a few laughs but not nearly as many as a movie with this cast and the length of the movie should have. It was more of an extravaganza than a comedy. Actually embarrassing in parts. "The Nutty Professor" my contention is that Jerry Lewis is not funny, was not funny. Did not see, or if I did, have completely forgotten "A Funny thing . . ." Did not see "Lord love a duck". "The Graduate" was amusing, seldom laugh out loud funny--more of a dramedy I think. Did not see "How I won the war" or "Who's Minding the Mint" or I have completely forgotten them. Did not think "The Producers" was amusing at all, would like to have had my money back. "Support Your Local Sheriff" is the only real comedy on the list.

Posted on Apr 8, 2017, 1:43:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 8, 2017, 2:40:07 PM PDT
Top Eleven Comedies of the 1960s

Dr. Strangelove
Pocketful of Miracles
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
The Nutty Professor
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
Lord Love a Duck
The Graduate
How I Won the War
Who's Minding the Mint?
The Producers
Support Your Local Sheriff

Posted on Apr 6, 2017, 3:08:37 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 14, 2017, 1:08:07 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2017, 2:56:43 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 14, 2017, 1:08:06 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2017, 2:52:03 PM PDT
So long, you hockey puck! Try not to get booted out of heaven. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2017, 2:44:05 PM PDT
Larry Kelley says:
What is kind of weird--the last name I was going to put on the list was Don Rickles. But I had to pee really bad and I mistyped his name twice and I just gave up. Now I find that he has died. Hmmm.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2017, 12:30:38 PM PDT
Hikari says:
If not sooner. Heavens forfend.

I love how Bill Shatner is just 'Shatner' above. Who needs first names when your surname speaks for itself? Sort of the 'Madonna' effect in reverse.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2017, 10:49:49 AM PDT
Larry Kelley says:
These are the people we will be losing in the next ten years.

Posted on Apr 6, 2017, 9:05:43 AM PDT
Great list, though.

Posted on Apr 6, 2017, 4:12:56 AM PDT
Larry Kelley says:
This list is more than ten, but interesting I think: Actors over the age of 80
Sean Connery, 86
Robert Duvall, 86
Clint Eastwood, 86
Michael Caine, 84
Gene Hackman, 87
James Earl Jones, 86
Christopher Plummer, 87
Sydney Portier, 90
Donald Sutherland, 81
Roger Moore, 89
Ed Asner, 87
Martin Landau, 88
Max Von Sydow, 88
Shatner, 83
Tim Conway, 83
Mel Brooks, 90
Robert Wagner, 85
Hal Linden, 86
Alan Arkin, 83
Harry Dean Stanton, 90
Judd Hirsch, 82
Rip Torn, 86
Jerry Lewis, 91
Danny Aiello, 83
David McCullum, 83
Gavin MacLeod, 86 There are some others, I just got tired of making this list.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2017, 7:09:25 PM PDT
AJA says:
Re: Alec Guinness

I've seen eight of the 10 titles on your list and liked each of them.

I have seen The Bridge on the River Kwai many times and like that one too. Same with Lawrence of Arabia.

I think my favorite Alec Guinness movie might be Murder by Death in which he was part of an all-star ensemble cast. Quite a lot of fun that one.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2017, 4:05:14 AM PDT
You might like the Oscar Wilde Murder Mysteries by Gyles Brandreth. Brandreth is a Wilde aficionado and his books are quite believable. He uses some Wilde quotes, but by and large his own are so on the mark, one couldn't tell one way or the other if one wasn't an aficionado, too. Wilde was friends with Arthur Conan Doyle and it's often on this friendship the stories draw their color. The fiction is set solidly in the period with people Wilde knew and related with, including his wife, all of this lending to the sense of reality in the fiction. Why not Wilde the detective?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 294 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  136
Total posts:  7329
Initial post:  May 16, 2012
Latest post:  7 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers