Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now FFII_gno
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Acting's SANEST character

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 63 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 4, 2011, 5:06:30 PM PDT
B. A. Dilger says:
Many of you remember old movies of the late Trevor Howard. When aliens where invading the Earth, or that pillar of a man stood against panic, you know things wold be safe again. Someone once said that the world's sanity was mirrored on his face. Who, if anyone, is your candidate for acting's sanest person?

Posted on May 4, 2011, 5:08:08 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2011, 5:08:37 PM PDT
How about Gary Cooper.

Posted on May 4, 2011, 5:11:45 PM PDT
apokálypsoz says:
Gary Cooper would have to be the archetype. How 'bout Clive Owen, he always seems sane to me.
In a world where perception is relative, who's to say.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2011, 5:14:58 PM PDT
B. A. Dilger says:
What's her name? The nurse in "One Flew Over The Cuckcoo's Nest?"

Posted on May 4, 2011, 5:15:34 PM PDT
Laust Cawz says:
What do you say we don't mistake calm for sanity?

...& how in the HELL does Jim Carrey come up in a discussion about calm equaling sanity???
He's a lot of things on screen, but he's rarely been calm.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2011, 5:26:54 PM PDT
B. A. Dilger says:
Trevor Howard was real good at reflecting calm in many situations. I've got a list of them here but might not be familiar to all:

Battle of Britain
A Doll's House
11 Harrowhouse
Brief Encounter
Conduct Unbecoming
Craze
Father Goose
Gandhi
Green For Danger
Kidnapped
Malaga

Posted on May 4, 2011, 5:31:02 PM PDT
B. A. Dilger says:
Mutiny On The Bounty
Meteor
Mary, Queen of Scots
Odette
Operation Crossbow

Posted on May 4, 2011, 5:38:27 PM PDT
B. A. Dilger says:
Then there was Ronald Reagan.

Posted on May 4, 2011, 6:20:03 PM PDT
apokálypsoz says:
Cory Feldman in 'Stand By Me'. No mental issues there.

Posted on May 4, 2011, 8:13:07 PM PDT
Hikari says:
Well, it sure wouldn't be Sean Penn or ScarJo. Here's our age-inappropriate lovebirds keepin' it classy at the White House Correspondents' dinner.

http://www.popeater.com/2011/05/03/sean-penn-scarlett-johansson-pda/

Posted on May 4, 2011, 9:25:22 PM PDT
The post title is ambiguous. Acting's SANEST character I would think means which Actor played the sanest character. However, the way it could be read is also which character is the Sanest? Which is a dramatic trope: think Sigourney in Alien/Aliens, or a play on that trope in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
Apart from trying to clarify and expound a bit, Acting's (can it really be possessive if its not a person?) SANEST character might be one of the most boring, for its easier to play the voice of reason among madmen, than it is to play a madman around other madmen.

Posted on May 4, 2011, 10:19:28 PM PDT
B. A. Dilger says:
Aww...c'mon now! Has nobody here seen a Trever Howard movie? "The world's sanity is mirrored across his face'" unknown quoter. I remember one movie where he played a radio broadcaster, maybe in the Eiffel Tower, reporting the news in his SANE demeaner while the Nazis invaded or the Martians landed. And who can forget his role in "Operation Crossbow" or "Mutiny On the Bounty?" If calm facial expressions is the indicator we might as well nominate Chun-Yun Fat. We're talking about real actors here, not overnight sensations.

Posted on May 5, 2011, 12:46:18 AM PDT
Balok says:
Alan Arkin in _The Seven-Percent Solution_.
Could there be any saner a response to a hopeless situation than Bill Paxton's "Game over, man"?

Posted on May 5, 2011, 2:55:43 AM PDT
7 & 7 IS says:
Jason Robards or Bernard Lee

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2011, 3:08:14 AM PDT
Hikari,

I know about Sean Penn's humanitarian efforts in Haiti, yet I didn't know about his recent personal affairs. I didn't even know he was divorced from his wife Robin Wright.
Strange.

Anyway, my pick for the sanest actor I can think of at 3:07 AM, mid-week:

Maximilian Schell. Or Denholm Elliott. Or Henry Fonda.
Hmmeah, beats me.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2011, 3:12:37 AM PDT
Balok, bringing me back down to earth again, in hysterics:

>"Could there be any saner a response to a hopeless situation than Bill Paxton's "Game over, man"? "<

I never get tired of that one! And now I suddenly see a point to this thread.

The sudden transformation of the un-sane Martin Lawrence to clear-as-a-bell, moment-of-clarity realist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUH3JQjcweM

Posted on May 5, 2011, 3:34:12 AM PDT
Nicholson in One Flew seemed 'more sane' than anyone else. Well, except the Chief.

Posted on May 5, 2011, 3:40:43 AM PDT
Then again, Christopher Walken in Communion was sane, while everyone, including him, thought he was crazy...at least until we learned the Aliens were real.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2011, 4:10:09 AM PDT
Balok says:
@Jonathan P. Baker:

>> Could there be any saner a response to a hopeless situation than Bill Paxton's "Game over, man"?

> I never get tired of that one! And now I suddenly see a point to this thread.

It's unquestionably the greatest moment in Bill Paxton's career as an actor.

Posted on May 5, 2011, 5:55:35 AM PDT
Griffin Dunne, especially relative to everyone else in 'After Hours':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLHM-wPecz0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khTX19nyYjU

Posted on May 5, 2011, 6:59:35 AM PDT
B. A. Dilger says:
Thanks, some good suggestions there (Jason Robards, wasn't he in a doctor role?) Then there's always the 'team' straight man ("Rush Hour"). Whether one or two in these films, an actor must present some sense of control over their desperate situation. How they bring this about can either be serious or comedic.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2011, 4:53:40 PM PDT
It was a joke : )

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2011, 4:56:05 PM PDT
"Game over, man"!

Posted on May 6, 2011, 12:42:15 AM PDT
Mr. Jones, the financial adviser to Gen. Yen in The Bitter Tea of General Yen seems to have a pretty firm grasp of reality. Ethan Allen Cocket, the CEA Director in The President's Analyst seems pretty sane, as well. Anyone should, perhaps, get bonus points for appearing sane in that film, since it focuses so much on psychiatry and paranoia.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  63
Initial post:  May 4, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer