Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning kidsevergreen kidsevergreen kidsevergreen  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Favorite Arnie Movie

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 150 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013, 4:25:40 PM PST
I saw the Hunger Games movie. I thought it was interesting and entertaining. It's more grim, sad and not nearly as fun as The Running Man though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013, 4:27:32 PM PST
Classic Game Room HD - SMASH TV for Xbox 360 review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shT6w7Pyb7U

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013, 4:34:53 PM PST
stevign says:
lololol.............

Posted on Jan 12, 2013, 9:15:31 AM PST
H. R. Holt says:
Favorite Arnie movie?

That's a tough one. I like his funny stuff and his serious stuff.

I like Junior, especially when he's dressed like a woman. ROFL!
I like Twins, like when he goes "Yackity yack! Don't talk back" - and the part when he learns how to drive
I like Kindergarten Cop, when he goes "I don't have a tumor" - and the part when he falls down on the bed, exhausted
I like Terminator - and its still so sad when he goes down with his thumb up
I like Last Action Hero - to this day, I still wonder how many people actually have 555 in their phone numbers lol
I like Total Recall - the part when he gets that thing out of his nose still freaks me out

I have watched just about all of his movies.
I can't decided which one I like the most, but I'll pick....

True Lies ... it's got action, it's got humor, it's got Jamie Lee Curtis - and a horse that just won't jump lol

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013, 10:00:11 PM PST
Balok says:
@H.R. Holt:

> True Lies ... it's got action, it's got humor, it's got Jamie Lee Curtis - and a horse that just won't jump lol

Commando has humor and Rae Dawn Chong, but also has considerably less racism and "playing random violent deaths for laughs" than True Lies.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013, 12:01:13 AM PST
RichieV says:
Racism? What racism in true lies???

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013, 12:49:24 AM PST
Balok says:
@RichieV:

> Racism? What racism in true lies???

Art Malik's character is such a caricature of the "Arab/Muslim terrorist" (IIRC, he's actually speaking Urdu rather than Arabic, not that the average American moviegoer would know the difference) that it's embarrassing to watch -- and I am neither an Arab nor a Muslim. There doesn't seem to be any easily findable video of the episode on line, but if you ever get a chance to watch the episode of "The Kumars at No. 42" in which Art Malik was the guest, and in which they spend most of the interview making fun of him for having taken the role, I recommend it highly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013, 2:49:57 PM PST
stevign says:
So in your mind a "caricature" is racist? How about other caricatures on film?

1) Dumb blond chick.

2) Dumb and/or racist redneck.

3) White wealthy guy as greedy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013, 6:46:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2013, 6:48:34 PM PST
RichieV says:
I could be wrong but I believe Arabs are Caucasian and I am pretty sure Muslim isn't a race.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013, 7:16:53 PM PST
stevign says:
You're right, on both counts. I found this answer online and I think it explains it pretty well.

Yes Arabs are Caucasians since they have the same origins as Europeans. It's also important to note that Caucasians evolved in the Middle East (near the Caucasus, north of Iran).

The ''Caucasians'' include: Arabs, North African (Berbers), Iranians, Indian Subcontinental people, Europeans etc. The predominant racial type in all those areas is Caucasian. Even though all these Caucasian groups have some non-Caucasian admixture to some degree (including Europeans) they are still more genetically closer to each other than to non-Caucasians.

For instance, brown-skinned Arabs are more genetically similar to blonde North Europeans than the Japanese are to Malaysians, and in fact, the racial divide between the North Asians (North Japanese, Korean, North Chinese) and Southern Asians (such as Malaysian, Thai, Filipino) is much much deeper than the one between Arabs and Europeans.

In forensic science and anthropology, ''Caucasian'' is used to describe a skeleton/skull type, rather than a skin color. You can have pale-skinned Caucasians and dark-skinned Caucasians. The skin color is the least important factor since skin color correlates with lattitude and doesn't necessarily indicate a populations true racial origins. ~ Brian on "Yahoo Answers".

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013, 9:57:10 PM PST
Balok says:
@stevign:

> So in your mind a "caricature" is racist?

I see that logical reasoning is not your strong suit.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013, 9:58:04 PM PST
Balok says:
@RichieV:

> I could be wrong but I believe Arabs are Caucasian and I am pretty sure Muslim isn't a race.

Next you'll be telling me that "anti-Semite" is not an appropriate word to describe prejudice against Jews because not all Semites are Jews.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013, 9:59:13 PM PST
Balok says:
@stevign:

> In forensic science and anthropology, ''Caucasian'' is used to describe a skeleton/skull type, rather
> than a skin color.

Are those the same anthropologists who have discovered that there is more genetic diversity among Africans than there is between the average African and the average European?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013, 9:59:20 PM PST
RichieV says:
No Balok, I am saying that Cameron is Caucasian, and the bad guy in the film is Caucasian. I don't see how that is racist.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013, 10:02:47 PM PST
RichieV says:
Not only that the Hero of the movie is Caucasian, the sidekick is Caucasian, the heroes Wife is Caucasian. It isn't as if he singles out Caucasians as the bad guys. Caucasians are the good guys and bad guys.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013, 12:45:00 AM PST
apokálypsoz says:
I was just now reading about the Arab Spring on wiki, and as I read, the page flickered, then went black. When the page returned, all uses of the word "Arab" had been replaced by "Caucasian".

Weird, dude.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013, 12:49:16 AM PST
Balok says:
@RichieV:

> No Balok, I am saying that Cameron is Caucasian, and the bad guy in the film is Caucasian. I don't see
> how that is racist.

According to my dictionary (AHD 1st College Edition), "racism" is defined as "the notion that one's own ethnic stock is superior." The term is frequently used to describe prejudice against *any* specific ethnic group that is perceived as "different." To say that prejudice by Europeans against Arabs is not racism because Arabs are of the same "race" is to redefine "racism" in the same sense that people who say that they aren't anti-Semites because they like Arabs are redefining "anti-Semitism."

Don't think that I haven't noticed that you are not arguing that the caricatured Arab/Muslim terrorist in _True Lies_ isn't offensive, which is the real point -- only that it's not "racist" according to some strangely restricted definition of the term "racist" that you made up in order not to have to deal with the actual issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013, 12:51:08 AM PST
Balok says:
@RichieV:

> [In _True Lies_] Caucasians are the good guys and bad guys.

Are any of the Caucasian good guys identifiably of Middle Eastern or Pakistani descent? Do any of them (including the one whose native language is German) speak to their underlings in any language other than English?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013, 7:26:28 AM PST
stevign says:
Just answer the question please.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013, 7:27:57 AM PST
stevign says:
Why don't you ask them and get back to us.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013, 10:46:31 AM PST
RichieV says:
Faisil was part of the team and he was Arab.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013, 9:44:10 PM PST
Balok says:
@stevign:

> Just answer the question please.

Your "question" was a complete non sequitur. I did not say that *all* caricatures are racist -- only that that particular one was. What a maroon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013, 9:48:41 PM PST
Balok says:
@RichieV:

> Faisil was part of the team and he was Arab.

I assume that you mean that he was "Arab" in the sense that Warner Oland was "Chinese."

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013, 9:53:40 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "I did not say that *all* caricatures are racist "

Good to hear it. Ya see, that wasn't so hard now was it?

re: "What a maroon"

Is that a victim who is marooned?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013, 12:53:48 AM PST
Balok says:
@stevign:

>> I did not say that *all* caricatures are racist

> Good to hear it. Ya see, that wasn't so hard now was it?

If you had taken the trouble to read what I wrote, you would not have needed to ask the question.
Ultra-maroon, indeed.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  41
Total posts:  150
Initial post:  Sep 21, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 27, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer