Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

15 Movies You Have Watched More Than Once -- How many times and why?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 115 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012, 8:17:00 AM PDT
TCG: Glad to see another Charlie Kaufmann fan. Back to the Future could certainly be on my list; much as I like Bringing Up Baby, His Girl Friday trumps it for me. You ought to check out this documentary on Troll 2: Best Worst Movie

Death Becomes Her and Ghostbusters, yes; Jaws (yawn), My Cousin Vinny, and Blues Brothers, no. Pulp Fiction, big yes, although the Kill Bills are even better.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012, 8:33:56 AM PDT
BGT: Styles of acting change. Films of the 30s and 40s display what one might call a Broadway stage style--the American equivalent to British stage technique--which rather went out of fashion in the 50s, although one can still find performers in that style--Kevin Kline comes to mind (a particular favorite.)

There is also directorial style--Howard Hawks (Baby, Friday) was noted for rapid-fire dialog and overlapping dialog, well before Altman.

Personally, I've never been a great fan of naturalistic acting--I like a bit of artifice with my art. Brando could do both--and I will always prefer his Mark Anthony to Stanley, thank you. The 30s / 40s style has an energy and wit that we largely lack today.

You know perfectly well that gay people have excellent taste and value wit and humor, and can get a bit obsessive about the stage. Hence--All About Eve. Watch it again and look for subtext--it's rather strongly suggested that Eve is a lesbian, or at least a gal who prefers gals, and it's equally obvious that Addison DeWitt is gay as well, however he may wish to display another side to the world. Bette lost to Judy Holliday for one simple reason; she, Anne Baxter, and Gloria Swanson all cancelled each other out in the voting. (Eleanor Parker in Caged was a bit of an also-ran.) A pity--I've never been a fan of Holliday, and either Swanson or Davis really deserved the brass ring that year.

All About Eve has perhaps the finest script of any Hollywood film. Every time I watch it (at least twice a year) I marvel at its wit and subtlety, and its dense allusiveness. The more you know about the history of the theater, the better it is. There are so many great lines, and not just the two or three most famous (and often misquoted). A personal favorite--"You're too short for that gesture. Besides, it went out with Mrs. Fiske."

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012, 9:20:55 AM PDT
I assume you've heard both commentaries included with "All About Eve," especially the story about Joseph Mankiewicz and Loretta Young's aversion to foul language. It's one of the funniest remarks I ever heard.

Posted on May 19, 2012, 9:34:37 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 19, 2012, 3:58:30 PM PDT]

Posted on May 19, 2012, 11:33:43 AM PDT
Being from Connecticut, I love George Sanders' (as Addison DeWitt) narration: "To people in the theatre world, New Haven, Connecticut, is a short stretch of sidewalk between the Schubert Theatre and the Taft Hotel, surrounded by what looks very much like a small city." A bit demeaning, but quite funny.

Posted on May 19, 2012, 6:40:59 PM PDT
P. D. Grove says:
Tightrope,American Graffiti,Hollywood Knights.Return of Secaucus Seven,The Big Chill,Heart of Dixie,Hoosiers,The Big Easy,The Wanderers,The Outsiders,Love Story,Paper Chase,1969,Indian Summer,Urban Cowboy,Simon Birch

Posted on May 19, 2012, 8:40:50 PM PDT
Shannon M. says:
Dawn of the Dead (the original 1978 version) because it was a midnight movie favorite.
Rocky Horror Picture Show (for the same reason)
Phone Booth, because Colin Ferrell is awesome
The Hunted, because Benicio Del Toro, likewise.
Interview with the Vampire, the best vampire movie EVER
The Crow, because it's beautiful and heartbreaking
Ransom, because I love to see Gary Sinise play a villain

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012, 9:46:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2012, 9:47:01 PM PDT
KatieHepburn says:
@ William

Just wanted to let you know, I received my copy of "Cold Comfort Farm", ordered from Amazon.com, in the mail, per your suggestion. I'm going to watch the movie again this weekend and then read the book. This is one movie I have watched so many times and haven't tired of it yet. Now, it should be a blast reading the book. Books really are my preferred primary path of processing such imagery. ~Love my books~ mmmmmmmm.....

Posted on May 19, 2012, 10:25:50 PM PDT
7 & 7 IS says:
16 Reservoir Dogs * * * *
6 El Mariachi * * & 1/2
14 True Romance * * * *
9 Road Racer's * * * & 1/2
7 Natural Born Killer's * * & 1/2
17 Pulp Fiction * * * *
17 Desperado * * * & 1/2
5 Four Rooms * *
24 From Dusk Till Dawn * * */29 full-tilt boogie * *
37 Selena * * *
43 Jackie Brown * * * *
3 The Faculty * & 1/2
9 Spy Kids * * & 1/2
9 Spy Kids 2 * *
2 Shark Boy And Lava Girl *
46 Kill Bill, Vol. 1 * * * * *
1 Spy Kids 3-D *
5 Once Upon A Time In Mexico * *
32 Kill Bill, Vol. 2 * * * * & 1/2
10 Sin City * * *
12 Death Proof * * *
17 Planet Terror * * *
1 Shorts *
9 Inglorious Basterds * * *
1 Spy Kids 4 *

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 6:01:47 AM PDT
Hikari says:
@katie
I too love my books. I have to say that the movie camera is my preferred path of processing the imagery of Mr. Rufus Sewell in this particular instance. You'll have to let me know what you make of *that* imagery. :p

If you like what you see, then allow me to recommend the miniseries "Zen". That's on my list to buy.

Posted on May 20, 2012, 6:24:17 AM PDT
1. The Star Wars trilogy
2. Schindler's List
3. The Dark Knight
4. Raiders of the Lost Ark
5. The Big Lebowski
6. Back to the Future
7. Pulp Fiction
8. Fargo
9. A Streetcar Named Desire
10. The Lion King

the other five of similar prominence:

Dr. Strangelove
Good Will Hunting
Beauty and the Beast
Amadeus
The Lord of the Rings trilogy

Fifteen movies I need to see a second time:

Citizen Kane
Raging Bull
Casablanca
Lawrence of Arabia
Goodfellas
Do The Right Thing
Platoon
JFK
One Hundred and One Dalmatians
On the Waterfront
The Godfather
Hugo
A Clockwork Orange
Hoop Dreams

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 9:04:14 AM PDT
KatieHepburn says:
Hi: I should have made it clear. It is the book that I received in the mail. I am looking so forward to reading it. William suggested it could be mined for many more nuggets of gold. But yes, the movie is wonderful.

I've watched 'Zen'. The first two were ok. The last of the series was really good. I hope they do more now that they've got it down. He is nice eye candy, but that only means so much if the film isn't up to snuff.

Posted on May 20, 2012, 12:30:34 PM PDT
........all of Universal's Frankenstein series from 1931 to 1948
The Wolf Man(1941)
Dracula(1931)
The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Angel Heart
Hold That Ghost
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II
Double Indemnity
True Grit(John Wayne)
The Train Robbers(John Wayne)
Dirty Harry
Magnum Force
Planet Of The Apes(Charlton Heston)
Beneath the Planet Of The Apes
Goldfinger
You Only Live Twice
The City of the Dead(aka Horror Hotel)
The Night Stalker
The Night Strangler
The Omen(Gregory Peck/Lee Remick)
Shadow Of A Doubt
The Ten Commandments
Ben-Hur
The Roaring Twenties
Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Die Hard
Apocalypse Now
The Shining(Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece)
Blazing Saddles
Spaceballs
Plan 9 From Outer Space
Titanic(James Cameron)
Alien
Batman(Tim Burton)
Superman......("You've got me.........who's got you??!!")
Pulp Fiction
The Fly(David Cronenberg's masterpiece)
John Carpenter's The Thing
King Kong(1933)
Terminator II: Judgement Day......(what's your story?)
Airplane
House On Haunted Hill(William Castle's masterpiece)
George Romero's "Dead" films........all of them!
Live and Let Die
It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Theater Of Blood(Vincent Price)
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
48 Hours
The Poseidon Adventure
The Towering Inferno
the "Back To The Future" trilogy
John Carpenter's The Fog
Fright Night(Chris Sarandon)
The Final Countdown
The Island(Michael Caine)
The Warriors..........("Warriors..........come out to play-ay")
Jurassic Park
The Wizard Of Oz
Beverly Hills Cop
Damien: Omen II
The Final Conflict: Omen III
The Naked Gun: From The Files Of Police Squad
Heartbreak Ridge
North By Northwest
The Magnificent Seven
Maximum Overdrive
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Runaway Train
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
Pumpkinhead
A Few Good Men
The Raven(Karloff/Lugosi)
Flowers In The Attic.............(my own personal "Guilty Pleasure")
Misery
The March of the Wooden Soldiers(Laurel and Hardy)
El Dorado(John Wayne)
An American Werewolf In London
The Howling
Creepshow
Creepshow 2
Ghostbusters
The Silence Of The Lambs
First Blood
Scarface............(Pacino's tour de force)
.........I've seen these movies so many times I could recite more than half the dialogue........I've liked them that much.........

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 1:08:09 PM PDT
Ms. Brentano says:
@Bruce G. Taylor - You've got to see the original version of The Winslow Boy (from 1948). While I felt that both Nigel Hawthorne and Jeremy Northam did commendable jobs in the remake, I really felt that Rebecca Pidgeon's acting was very wooden compared to Margaret Leighton (or even Emma Thompson in the British TV version, for that matter). I thought that the questioning of the boy, the courtroom scenes, and the interplay between Sir Robert and Kate were done better in the 1948 version as well. Plus it stars Robert Donat - one of the greatest actors ever imho as Sir Robert. Sir Cedric Hardwicke plays the father. Great cast. You can watch it in it's entirety for free if you type in "Robert Donat The Winslow Boy" on YouTube.
I've seen The Fallen Idol. Loved that one. I don't think I've ever seen The Wrong Box but I certainly have heard of it. I'll have to rent that one.
I personally loved Some Like It Hot but "Nobody's perfect" (-:

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 1:58:42 PM PDT
Ms. Brentano says:
@Manowar - I forgot to mention some of the ones you did. I really love some of your picks, especially Frankenstein (my favorites in that series being the original, Bride Of, and Son of), Dracula, Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, The Night Stalker, American Werewolf In London, The Omen, The Ten Commandments, Ben Hur, It's A Mad...World, The Roaring Twenties, Star Trek II, King Kong, The Wizard Of Oz (How on earth did I forget to include that one!), Titanic, Angel Heart, House On Haunted Hill, The Silence Of The Lambs, The Magnificent Seven, Blazing Saddles, and Monty Python And The Holy Grail. I guess you must like Plan 9 for the laughs because it is a perfectly dreadful movie. Some you may or may not have forgotten to mention:
Abbott And Costello Meet Frankenstein, the 1951 version of The Thing (I realize that the remake is probably closer to the story Who Goes There but I like this version better because of the snappy dialgue and it scared the hell out of me when I was a kid), House Of Wax, The Producers, Young Frankenstein, From Russia With Love, Dr No, and Aliens.

Posted on May 20, 2012, 2:08:18 PM PDT
Ms. Brentano says:
Hey! Who's the joker giving several people, including myself, a "no" vote? If you disagree with us, then why don't you at least have the courage to tell us why you don't feel our comments contribute to this discussion.

Posted on May 20, 2012, 2:17:03 PM PDT
Waku Waku says:
TAMPOPO -- it's different every time I see it
PLACE VENDOME -- the mood, the acting, the emotions
IL Y A LONGTEMPS QUE JE T'AIME -- totally identify with everyone in this film
BAGDAD CAFE -- Like no other movie
SMOKE SIGNALS -- shows life in the west like no other movie attempts
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN -- saddest movie ever made? It's healthy to cry.
WINTER'S BONE -- what it's like to be poor and white and living in the country
PASSION FISH -- funny and sad and inspiring and fabulous acting.
NOBODY KNOWS -- life in Japan that we don't often see
FAMILY MAN - Don Cheadle
MIDNIGHT COWBOY -- poor white trash life as it really feels (I should know!)
GRAND CANYON -- so rarely do we get real feeling movies with people of different hues
EAST WEST -- chilling and real life like and I can understand the French!
MITFORD -- funny and sad and inspiring
MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO -- art; a story for girls that's not sickening and sexist

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 2:41:25 PM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
Judy Holliday was great in Bells are Ringing. I never particularly cared for her "Born Yesterday" she seemed to be stuck with most of her filmic career. The best film of those would be "It Should Happen to You" where a fame seeking model becomes famous in an unlikely back in the day it wasn't as possible to be famous for just being famous.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 6:37:36 PM PDT
Hikari says:
@katie
Sadly, there will be no more 'Zen'. Apparently it didn't 'wow!' enough at home in the ratings to justify another set. Filming on location in Roma was very expensive.

I was sad to hear it, because, as you say, the last installment was really stellar, and ended on a great upbeat note. I guess if they had to wrap it up that way, having the maverick Venetian promoted to Big Boss was a delicious way to end it. Michael Dibdin wrote 11 Zen novels in all, so they could've gone on for 3 more series, had the ratings gods smiled upon them. But I did buy the three novels the series was based on and started getting acquainted with Zen on the page--until I got distracted by Inspector Morse. The TV adaptations of the two detective series present an interesting contrast: Rufus is quite a bit younger than Dibdin's Zen, who is a man nearlng sixty, and plays him with more humor and style than Dibdin's rather dour detective. On the other hand, we've got Colin Dexter's rather impish, oversexed, unintentionally humorous Inspector Morse, whose foibles are more endearing than infuriating & which often befuddle him. He was embodied on the small screen by John Thaw, who was technically not older than the character, but who looked 20 years older than his years for the entirety of the series' run, and who I find quite dour, without the book Morse's comic understatement. Thaw just comes off as angry and cynical, whereas Morse in the books still nurses hope of a romantic kind. So I think there are actually two Zens and two Morses, and all four can be enjoyed for what they are, rather than what they are not.

Enjoy your book!

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 6:46:40 PM PDT
Re: New Haven: But so apt. Many things focus, or limit, vision. For my sins, I lived in Boston for seven years, and for the typical inhabitant, the world outside of Route 128 does not exist. There is a lovely story about a Boston matron who went to California and, being asked on her return how she went, replied "Oh, by way of Dedham."

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 6:50:04 PM PDT
Katie: Every time I read Amos's sermon to the Quivering Brethren ("But there's no butter in hell!") I am on the floor laughing. And the description of how Flora met the Hollywood producer. And Judith referring to herself as a Used Gourd and Rind.

Honestly, it's a masterpiece. I could not admire that book more.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 7:21:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2012, 7:22:28 PM PDT
KatieHepburn says:
I was going to bring up a quote about the quivering but I thought there would be too many 'leud' type responses from some of our veterans.

Posted on May 20, 2012, 7:56:43 PM PDT
K: The earth may burn, but we will quiver

Posted on May 20, 2012, 8:51:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2012, 8:52:13 PM PDT
svolk says:
The Princess Bride..."inconceivable".
The Godfather, Parts I and II
My Blue Heaven...Martin's best
Chinatown
Blazing Saddles
Touch of Evil
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Casablanca
Double Indemnity...it ain't My 3 Sons
The Great Escape
American Graffiti
Get Shorty
Saving Pvt. Ryan
Clay Pigeons...what can I say
Bonnie & Clyde
The Big Lebowski

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 9:28:00 PM PDT
KatieHepburn says:
Wil: Amen and amen!!!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
***TrumP LaNd*** 3020 31 minutes ago
Biggest Oscar BEEF 8 34 minutes ago
TV Talk 5863 3 hours ago
The movie review thread for people who don't write movie reviews so well 942 4 hours ago
Movie Game! Ten Movies Where . . . (June 2016) 6632 5 hours ago
One Degree of Separation - Season Five 8885 5 hours ago
101 Movie Cliches 2059 7 hours ago
Star Wars Episode 9 14 13 hours ago
British Detective Series II: International Mystery & Mayhem 1539 22 hours ago
Alibi Lounge II: Cast Iron 4900 22 hours ago
Worst films of 2015 48 23 hours ago
The Super-Happy Nice Chat Room 2777 1 day ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  39
Total posts:  115
Initial post:  May 12, 2012
Latest post:  May 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers