Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Battleship sinks in the States

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 87 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 29, 2012 9:05:33 AM PDT
FallenMarvel says:
I'm surprised it they didn't stay consistent with the cheesiness. lOl

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 2:17:49 PM PDT
stevign says:
Really? What a rip off.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 2:06:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2012 2:07:08 PM PDT
>>>I bet the line "he sank my battleship" was the best line in the movie.<<<

It would have been if it had actually been in the movie. The one line that everyone was waiting for, and they didn't even use it!

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 1:27:48 PM PDT
stevign says:
I bet the line "he sank my battleship" was the best line in the movie.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 12:04:00 PM PDT
K. Rowley says:
"Did the line "he sank my battleship" actually make it into the movie?"

It's in the book... Battleship (Movie Tie-in Edition)

Posted on May 25, 2012 12:02:04 PM PDT
W.T. Keeton says:
Did the line "he sank my battleship" actually make it into the movie? If not, it wasn't faithful to the source material! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 10:00:39 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
The first PIRATES movie was the exception . . . but they kept the franchise going to the point that it is now unwatchable.

Posted on May 25, 2012 9:58:40 AM PDT
I'm still guessing the majority of commenters here would never have greenlit the first Pirates of the Carribean film. If you can't find the potential story in a board game, I'm pretty sure you'd not have seen the cinematic potential in a theme park ride, and Dungeons and Dragons, fuggitaboutit!

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 6:07:13 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
The idea is still in development. I am sure we can come up with some lame reason that we think consumers will accept because we have no respect for them.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 5:59:04 AM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
Why does it cause his nose to light up?

Posted on May 25, 2012 5:48:53 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
OPERATION could be made into a movie. The surgeons are in danger of being electrocuted when they perform surgery on a patient (an important person of some kind) who has strange things implanted in him for some reason.

Posted on May 25, 2012 5:10:02 AM PDT
Isn't Master and Commander simply Battleship taking place with Man-o-Wars instead of Navy vessels? Wasn't Wrath of Khan battleship in space? It's not that a film called battleship couldn't be done, or that it was necessarily a bad idea. It was the execution. The idea that you needed the Micheal Bey approach, when what you needed was a story about someone and their nemesis who strategically is pretty close to if not their equal, and give the real stakes as to why they have to win. In other words you can make a film about anything, you just have to remember that movies are first and foremost about people that you care about. Doesn't mean you have to like them, heck you might watch for two hours just to see them get what's coming to them. Basically you get the idea. It's not the fact that this movie was based on a board game, it's just that the screenwriters who they gave the job to weren't up to the task of trying to make a very good movie, they were just trying to make a film they thought fanboys wanted to see without any knowledge of fanboys, or the moviegoing public in general.

Posted on May 25, 2012 3:10:48 AM PDT
Re: making movies based off a board game-- Clue was genius! Long live Martin Mull, Eileen Brennan, Tim Curry and the rest of the cast.

Posted on May 24, 2012 10:33:38 PM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
The thing is a true adapatation would be a tense story of two fleets trying to destroy each other with lots of tense pauses as they attempt to guess their enemies position. A faithful recreation might be as tense and realistic recreation of war as any drama snob would wish. What wouldn't have is giant alien Robots. It's like they picked a succesful franchise at random. Wizarding school? No. Teenage Vampires? Maybe. Giant Robots. Hell Yeah!

If they were into what's doing well on television, they might have had an inteprid group of naval investigatiors investigators the leaking of Naval postiions. In many the storyline that played out in the last few episodes of this season of NCIS is closer to the spirit of Battleship than the movie, but Hollywood has no use for any series unless it's over 20 years old.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 4:10:10 PM PDT
Pulpman says:
@D.Hardingham
USA is no longer the main box office it was.
John Carter of Mars a bomb here did very well at the rest of the world. Avengers also opened early in other international locations before opening in the US. The surprise was how badly Battleship did here.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 3:10:13 PM PDT
Miami Nights says:
... a board game with no characters or anything remotely resembling a potential storyline.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 12:11:24 PM PDT
FallenMarvel says:
LMAO

Posted on May 24, 2012 11:31:03 AM PDT
D. Larson says:
"and Battleship is BS.... "

No, tell us what you really thought of it!

Posted on May 24, 2012 10:38:49 AM PDT
C.Mike says:
Well, that's what they get for making a movie off a freakin' board game.

Posted on May 24, 2012 10:34:07 AM PDT
Kelly says:
TB is True Blood and Battleship is BS.... ;)

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 8:49:23 AM PDT
FallenMarvel says:
I'm just curious to what TB and BS is.

Posted on May 24, 2012 12:44:28 AM PDT
The real problem is that they didn't capitalize on the one good thing they had going for them AND killed him off too early in the film. I mean they have the actor who plays a hot sexy vampire on TB, they release BS a few weeks before the start of season 5 of TB when all the fans are starting to get excited, and the only skin they show is his back - and not even his whole back as he has a shirt slung over half of it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 12:43:50 AM PDT
Balok says:
@C. J. Vasta:

> Already done: WarGames

Yes, but the only way to win that one is not to play.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 11:40:27 PM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
Already done: WarGames

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 6:01:06 PM PDT
K. Rowley says:
"There is a wealth of childhood games that can be made into feature films."

Heck, they've even made Dodgeball into a movie...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Movie Game! Ten Movies Where . . . (June 2016) 1964 13 minutes ago
The top ten anything thread 7076 16 minutes ago
One Degree of Separation - Season Five 4687 27 minutes ago
Celebrities that look alike 547 35 minutes ago
"Star Trek: Beyond" 238 1 hour ago
Bette Davis 2 2 hours ago
"Star Trek: Discovery" 7 2 hours ago
British Detective Series II: International Mystery & Mayhem 666 2 hours ago
Ben-Hur is a big, expensive flop 10 2 hours ago
Westerns 506 3 hours ago
The movie review thread for people who don't write movie reviews so well 464 5 hours ago
TV Talk 4492 6 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  87
Initial post:  May 21, 2012
Latest post:  May 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions