Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Is there a movie that bombed at the box office but you loved anyway?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 251-275 of 506 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2010, 3:36:13 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
S Marth-

I call those shows "51" movies. Either 5 star or 1 star reviews.
Meet Joe Black is a 51 as is Open Water or Hard Candy.
Some I like some I hate go figure.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2010, 3:49:42 PM PDT
Three days of the Condor - Robert Redford

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2010, 3:51:50 PM PDT
msc says:
I'm usually not into teen comedies but 'Dude, Where's My Car?' was an exception. It was actually very funny. Also, the movie 'Stardust' did not do that well box-office-wise but I thoroughly enjoyed that moive in the theater and even bought the DVD when it was released.

Posted on Apr 27, 2010, 4:08:55 PM PDT
John Reinard says:
Mountains of the Moon
Tune in Tomorrow
The Red Violin

Three great movies that few people ever went to see.

Posted on Apr 27, 2010, 5:35:34 PM PDT
Anna-P says:
Wyatt Earp. I liked Tombstone for different reasons (including Val Kilmer's Doc and the catchy one-liners). But I thought Wyatt Earp was a more complete depiction of the all of the characters's lives. I definitely preferred Joanna Going's Josie over Dana Delany. For some reason everything Delany does has a perky wholsome bubblegum cheerleader quality to it that annoys me and definitely didn't fit this roll. Going was a much better shady lady.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2010, 6:03:52 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
AP-

I'll be on your side about Tombstone. When it comes to cheerleaders though..... ;>) Always had them spit out the bubblegum anyway.

Posted on Apr 27, 2010, 6:55:22 PM PDT
I agree with everyone who named "Meet Joe Black". I loved it. It was a remake of an old film "Death Takes a Holiday" from 1934 starring Fredric March. Both are good, but I liked the new one best.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2010, 7:03:32 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
Y P Whalen-

The problem I had with Joe Black was pacing. Death takes a holiday is 79 min's long. Joe Black is 100 min's longer or almost 3 hr's long. I know I complain about people whose attention span is too short for movies but in this case it was me. I could not wait long enough for the next bit to appear on the screen. They should of done it in 2 hr's for my taste.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2010, 7:10:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2010, 7:11:25 PM PDT
McGhee: Yes, I can see where that might be a problem, but I really enjoy very long movies and don't mind a minor lull once in awhile. For those of you who are impatient, don't watch the full version of "Dances With Wolves". To me the movie made more sense in this version and tied up a lot of loose ends. But to each his own. You must have hated "Roots"..... (joke).... lol

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2010, 7:51:24 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
Y P Whalen-

guess I'm pretty vague. I have seen the full version of Dances with Wolves & loved it. It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. 174 min's. The Ten Commandments 220 min's. Berlin: Alexanderplatz 15 1/2 hr's I watched in 3 sittings & once we watched the Lord of the Rings Extended version from start to finish which including potty breaks is over twelve hours.

It was the speed the story moved forward that I had trouble with. I guess your minor lull is my major one. I wasn't writing to say your view is wrong. Just pointing out what some people have a problem with on Joe Black. I've heard it more than once that someone just lost interest because of the lack of pace. The original moves quickly.

Posted on Apr 27, 2010, 8:01:37 PM PDT
T. Williams says:
Tremors! We love to quote that movie...Running's not a plan; running's what you do when a plan fails!

Posted on Apr 27, 2010, 8:18:36 PM PDT
I have so many favs it's hard to focus them for this discussion, but the moment I saw the mention of Glengarry Glen Ross I had two pop into my head. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang and Punch Drunk Love. Definitely the second because come on it's Adam Sandler actually acting, and while I'm on the topic of good old Adam actually acting let's throw in Reign Over Me and Funny People.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2010, 8:20:02 PM PDT
You sound like me... the longer the better. And the really good ones are NEVER long enough. You just want them to go on an on... but of course, then they would probably turn booooring.... hahahaha

I tend to go for the mini-series type movies the most. I love to get into the story, like a nice long book. Got into a series of books by one author and each of the 7 books (with more coming) are in the neighborhood of 1,000 pages and more. I think it's because I've always been an avid reader, but during my kid raising/working years, there just didn't seem to be enough hours to do what I wanted.

Oh, another one that was cut for TV and I watched, then found out it wasn't the full deal was Masada, and loved that one too.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2010, 8:52:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2010, 8:54:34 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
Y P Whalen-

I own Masada. O K here are 4 long shows that are no miss wonders. BBC's I, Claudius 11 hrs 9 min's. 12 episodes & a Documentary. If you know the story you'll find out you don't know the story. No Hollywood here its the BBC TV Series.

I, Claudius

Love story? Angelique french with subtitles. 8 hr's 40 min's Five separate movies 1 life.

Angelique Collection

Shaka Zulu- the warrior that scared england with spears (true) you have to see this Henry Cele act! also Christopher Lee, Edward Fox & a bevy of English stage actors. 8 hr's 20 min's 10 parts in English.

Shaka Zulu - The Complete 10 Part Television Epic

Berlin Alexanderplatz by Rainer Werner Fassbinder. He's a legend in Europe & indeed the world. 894 min's in 14 parts. A german is released from prison just as the Nazi's are rising from the ground. It follows his attempt to go straight & be good in and around Alexanderplatz. Every situation you think of that would affect a man like that in those circumstances is shown. Done in 1980 in black & white a masterpiece of storytelling & camera work. German with English subtitles.

Berlin Alexanderplatz (The Criterion Collection)

See them all. ;>) I have.

Posted on Apr 27, 2010, 9:28:17 PM PDT
OH! If you love intense films that make you squirm and Indies then you will love Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is outstanding of course isn't he always. This movie didn't really bomb it was under the radar like most indies. Also while I still have it in mind Primer. Great low budget indie film made in TX can't remember actual cost but i believe it was made for $4000-$7000. The director of Primer has never made another film since to my knowledge so if you are one of the luck few who has had the honor of seeing the film then knock fists for you. If you haven't you are missing out on a gem.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2010, 6:14:27 PM PDT
JP says:
Sorry anna, but Tombstone DID NOT bomb at the boxoffice. It certainly wasn't a blockbuster by today's standards but it was a moderate hit in 1993. So much so that ET interviewed him about it's success on the set of his (then filming) next movie...Stargate!!

It was also a big enough hit that it killed Costner's Wyatt Earp which came out not too long after.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2010, 6:16:14 PM PDT
JP says:
Also...people should remember that at least 40% of meet Joe Black's box office was officially attributed to folks who showed up JUST to see the preview for the "new" Star Wars movie...and we all know how that turned out!! :)

Posted on Apr 28, 2010, 6:23:13 PM PDT
M. Thomas says:
Boondock Saints (the first, not the second)

Posted on Apr 28, 2010, 6:34:01 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 19, 2011, 10:34:48 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2010, 6:38:24 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
tarek-

is Baron a show you can explain liking or is it just something you really enjoy but don't know why.

I got bored despite all the activity & did not "get it". Was I just supposed to have fun?

Posted on Apr 28, 2010, 6:51:24 PM PDT
Xanadu.. with Olivia Newton John and Gene Kelly. The Betsy with Tommy Lee Jones. The Lost Horizon musical.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2010, 7:00:45 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
H Hack-

I don't know why people didn't like The Betsy. Everyone knew the story going in. Did people think they would ignore the taboo sex which Robbins was so well known for? I liked it alot.

Posted on Apr 28, 2010, 8:04:20 PM PDT
M. Luellen says:
Speed Racer. I loved it.

Posted on Apr 28, 2010, 10:59:38 PM PDT
Balok says:
One that I left off of my previous lists. . . "The Pirate" (with Judy Garland and Gene Kelly).

Posted on Apr 29, 2010, 3:59:22 AM PDT
Cora Llamas says:
The Karate Kid 3. It may not be as good as the first two movies, but never really understood why it was crucified by the critics.

Invasion - the latest remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers starring Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig. I was pleasantly surprised by it after hearing all the negative reviews, and the twist they added (the possibility of a cure through a ten-year-old boy) raised the stakes.
‹ Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  232
Total posts:  506
Initial post:  Apr 5, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers