Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Big & Rich Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Movies I Wish I Could See Again for the First Time

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 72 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2011, 8:35:15 PM PDT
Re: "Jaws" a ripoff of Melville's "Moby Dick"

Hilarious notion. It makes no sense. Does Quint in the Spielberg film hold a grudge against the shark, and did that specific shark bite off his leg? No.

"Jaws" (the novel by Benchley and the film by Spielberg) does not insult "Moby Dick" in the least. What a weird idea.

Posted on Apr 12, 2011, 8:50:47 PM PDT
Oh hm. Good topic.

Brazil - The film which taught me the power and flexibility of movies.
Pan's Labyrinth - This film just surprised me in so many ways. I'd love to be surprised again.
2001 - Recently got the blu-ray of this, and it WAS like seeing it again for the first time. Visual perfection.
Yojimbo - Mifune's timeless character is worth endless re-introductions.
I Heart Huckabees - A silly pseudo-philosophical movie, lots of unexpected laughs.
Ghostbusters - Maybe it's too much to say it defined a generation... but what a blast at the time!
Jurassic Park - When this hit theaters, it simply blew my mind. I'd love to go back and relive that first viewing.
Bicycle Thieves - For me this was the film which taught me the poignancy of the medium.
Wings of Desire - And this one taught me the poetry of the medium.
The Exorcist - Most people can probably recall vividly the first time they saw this chilling masterpiece.
Goonies - The epitome of childhood adventure. After this, I thought I could find treasure anywhere.

Ah.. Thanks for the excuse to dig up old memories. :)

Posted on Apr 12, 2011, 9:09:46 PM PDT
May1448 says:
"Take Care of My Little Girl", 1950 ivy covered college sorority chick flick.

Posted on Apr 12, 2011, 9:57:43 PM PDT
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition)

This 3-disc release of "Close Encounters" features the OT version, as well as the special edition and the director's cut. It sounds pretty sweet to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2011, 11:03:57 PM PDT
Thanks for that link, John.

Posted on Apr 12, 2011, 11:32:48 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
1. Evilspeak
2. Get Crazy
3. Fear No Evil
4. Heavy Metal
5. The One and Only

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2011, 11:40:39 PM PDT
>D. Taucher says:
"Take Care of My Little Girl", 1950 ivy covered college sorority chick flick."<

10000 points for originality!

Jean Negulesco was a good director. I'll be curious to see what that's all about.

Posted on Apr 13, 2011, 12:07:38 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
1. Re-Animator
2. Return of the Living Dead
3. Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn
4. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
5. Mars Attacks !

Posted on Apr 13, 2011, 12:49:56 PM PDT
Women in Love
The Devils
Touch of Evil
Goldfinger
Far From the Madding Crowd
Doctor Zhivago
The Great Race
Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines
Seance on a Wet Afternoon
The Great Escape
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Posted on Apr 13, 2011, 1:30:04 PM PDT
I keep finding myself going back to add films to my original posting. Originally, my list only had four films. Now I'm up to nine.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2011, 4:14:35 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 8, 2011, 10:08:45 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2011, 8:00:11 PM PDT
Patrick Callahan,

Very nice list. I particularly was happy to see the under appreciated "Seance on a Wet Afternoon". Kim Stanley is excellent, and the climax always moves me when we learn the truth.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012, 8:28:58 PM PDT
Charade
Thoroughly Modern Millie

The viewer can only be surprised once by the ending of each movie, however each movie is entertaining with each repeat viewing.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012, 8:43:09 PM PDT
Iron Eagle (sound was all messed up for the first 15-20 min when i saw it)
Iron Eagle II
Aces: Iron Eagle III
Godzilla 2000 (see Iron Eagle notation for reason)
Godzilla 1985
Robocop (was too young to see it in theaters)
Willow
Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters II
The NeverEnding Story (original)
First Blood
Rambo: First Blood Part II
Rambo III
New Jack City

Posted on Apr 17, 2012, 8:46:05 PM PDT
Todd Trenda says:
Good Fellas
Aliens
Raiders of the Lost Arc
Fight Club
Seven
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Schindler's List (the print was all messed up, ruined the movie and they would not give a refund)

Posted on Apr 17, 2012, 11:43:10 PM PDT
Q says:
Am I the only one alive who doesn't like Star Wars? Any of them.

I just can't appreciate it. I want to fall asleep every time I watch them.

Sweeney Todd, however, as mentioned above...rocks my world. The first time I saw it, I immediately re-watched it. This is one of those films like Rocky Horror Picture Show that I can re-watch in one sitting and still be thrilled (while singing along in the privacy of my own home).

Posted on Apr 18, 2012, 10:13:27 AM PDT
Bombshell,Heat Lightning,Double Indemnity,Side Streets,Redheaded Women,The Women,
Idiots Delight,The Divorcee,Public Enemy,Picture Snatchers,Showgirl in Hollywood

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012, 8:02:27 PM PDT
re: Am I the only one alive who doesn't like Star Wars? Any of them.

I don't think everyone likes those movies. Many fans, but lots of haters, methinks.

For me, they get more campy with each passing year. All of them. They suffer tremendously because they were so overrated, as if they were the first sci-fi fantasy ever created or something. For me, they are a guilty pleasure. I mean, come on, I'm not ten anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012, 8:31:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2012, 9:27:02 PM PDT
Just Duckie says:
Definitely dig, 'The Usual Suspects.' Spacey is the ultimate charactor actor
Add:
Independence Day
Enchanted April
Somewhere In Time
The Professional: Is that the one where the contract killer saves the girl? So many titles sound alike now days... exceptional movie, unexpected and complicated. Brilliant acting.

New new:
Warhorse will be a classic, I believe the new Black Beauty for [recent] generations. Loved the quaintness of the backdrop, simplistic and unassuming acting. Spielberg continues to please crowds, young and old alike.

After reviewing posts, I can't believe I forgot to include:
Chicago - The choreography blew me all the way, away. Gere, Zeta Jones, Queen Latifa, Zellweger, the 'husband' (sorry I don't know his name) and a fabulous supporting cast. Snappy as a musical and unexpected acting (drama).

Bleak House (BBC) None better.

Secondhand Lions - Caine and suvall outdid themselves, the kid was irreplaceable. I could never envision a 'remake.'

Lonesome Dove - Western Classic of all times. Tommy Lee Jones and Duval were so true to life they got under your skin. Spacek, and the rest of the great supporting cast. Two Thumbs up for this movie.

The Last of the Dogmen - Need I say more? Some might think campy but I live in the Great Northwest so it was particularly refreshing and enjoy a great mystery.

The Colt - Outstanding war story. Poignant.
Zulu - Caine, again. Astonishing ending. Great supporting cast.
Glory and The Bridge Over the River Kwai - As long as I'm on a roll for War movies.

Moulin Rouge - I had no idea Kidman could sing (was it really her?) McGregor's blue eyes... could easily fall in love again, for the first time.

Back to the Future - I can't help myself, I love time travel.

The Man Who Would Be King - Caine, again?? Connery. It was another era, [they] filled it. Great telling of a Kipling classic, brilliantly brought to life. Classic.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Will live in infamy.

The Sound of Music - How could I have forgtten this was the first time I was ever in a 'theatre?' Sweeping.

What's Up Doc - Streisand and O'Neal, Kahn and the judge (again, don't know the name) but he added so much to the comedy of the movie. Exceptionally hysterical entertainment.

Love Bug - Once you totally suspend belief you can't help have a good time.

The Yearling - Can't go back. It was never as good the second and successive times.

The Wizard of Oz - I was 5 or 6 and so scared I peeked out from under a blanket.

Final Destination - Scariest movie I ever saw. Don't know if it was the movie or the coffee, my heart was pounding so much so, I considered ER. Ended up calling back from another room, "What's happening now?"

In the genre of animation:
The Little Mermaid
Shreck
Ice Age

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012, 9:33:13 PM PDT
Just Duckie says:
John C. Harrison,

I know what you mean. I just saw: The Great Escape and a few others on other's lists. You not only wish you could see again for the first time, you can get 'hooked' when it comes on some late night TV or oldies like TCM.

Funny, how you can forget sooooo many movies that were unforgettable!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012, 5:17:21 AM PDT
Hikari says:
Anna,
That was John C. Reilly as "Amos Hart" aka 'Mr. Cellophane'. Mr. Reilly hails from Chicago for real and is one of our best and most underrated comic character actors. He broke the heart as Mr. Hart. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012, 9:17:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2012, 9:19:02 AM PDT
Oh, Jonathan, Jonathan, Jonathan:

I saw one of the very first showings of that reconstructed version of Greed and it's four hours I wish I had back, and a memory I wish I could expunge.

My list might include:

If...
Monty Python and The Holy Grail
Star Wars
Last Year At Marienbad
Stereo
The Right Stuff

among others

Posted on Apr 22, 2012, 7:45:39 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Dancer, Texas, Pop. 81

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012, 8:05:17 PM PDT
Q says:
@ Duckie-

"Leon: The Professional" was definitely a breath of fresh air. Agreed.

What is with everyone's obsession with "Independence Day?" NOT agreed.

Will Smith has grown into an incredible actor (in contrast to the one-trick ghetto pony of old). Contrary to popular opinion, I LOVE his acting in "I am Legend." He is basically the only character in the entire movie, yet he still keeps you engaged. Even though I can't watch the dog scene. That was just uncalled for. But I think the dog also died in "The Last Man on Earth"...I guess it was in the novel.

I'm not even going into "The Pursuit of Happiness," everyone is gaga over that movie (it's not my favorite). Still good acting.

HOWEVER, if you haven't seen "Seven Pounds" make haste to the video store, or should I say netflix account. His acting is so phenomenal in this movie that it makes my heart hurt. He completely embodies this angst-ridden character, and keeps you in agony for this character, even though you don't know why he is in agony until the end of the dern movie! His facial expressions alone are nonpareil.

If "Final Destination" was the scariest movie "you ever saw," you need to come on over here and take a stroll through my dvd cabinet.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012, 9:19:41 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 27, 2012, 4:03:53 PM PDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  72
Initial post:  Feb 12, 2011
Latest post:  May 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers