Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Your Review of the Last Movie You Watched

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 6151-6175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 22, 2012 8:41:57 AM PDT
bella7 says:
Wretches & Jabberers

Two men with autism from Vermont, Larry and Tracy, travel to Sri Lanka, Japan and Finland to meet others with autism and to raise autism awareness. I loved this documentary, which showed mostly non-verbal people with autism communicating via keyboards. I found their writing insightful and extremely poetic. Via the keyboard they want others to know that they are intelligent people. My eyes welled up several times. The movie highlighted the isolation people with autism can feel, due to lack of communication/social exclusion. Major themes: understanding/appreciating differences, friendship, the need to communicate/connect with others.

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 7:14:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2012 7:15:40 PM PDT
Papillon
with Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman

Papillon was on my local PBS station last night and I stayed up to the middle of the night (for me) to watch it. What a great movie! It's dark, but I was hooked. I am investigating getting the book, as the movie made me want to know more of this amazing story.

I never thought I could get so angry at a nun! And what happened to all those natives? How did they disappear so quietly in the middle of the night? Were prisoners really treated this badly? How did Dustin Hoffman's character end up on Devil's Island? I can't believe Dega ever tried to escape again, so why move him there? I have many questions...

If the book is half as good as the movie, it will be a great read.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 7:21:44 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
Mischief Girl- Papillon

You'll like the book. Papillon was made out as a hero for bringing about the closing of the prison but he was human debris when you consider his actions before Devil's Island & while there surviving.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 7:44:42 PM PDT
McGhee-- thanks for the report. I figured he couldn't have been a saint, but I have no idea (yet) about his background. I am very interested in this story. My boyfriend, who is NOT a great reader, has said it's an amazing book and one of the few he's made it through in his lifetime.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 7:56:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2012 7:56:38 PM PDT
stevign says:
The book is great. Also.....the movie was supposed to be advertised as "Starring Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman" but Papillon asked Hollywood to put Dustin Hoffman's name 1st instead of Steve McQueen's. Why? He said he was not the star in his own life, his environment was.

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 7:57:21 PM PDT
Yep, I love the book. More detail, and an extended ending.

Viva La Butterfly!

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 8:03:39 PM PDT
Sloany!
When is your wife due? The little one should be arriving in the next few months, yes?

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 8:07:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2012 8:07:48 PM PDT
stevign says:
Edit:

I also read Banco: The Further Adventures of Papillon and it was pretty good too.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 8:10:58 PM PDT
Mischief!
The little one should be arriving in the next few WEEKS! The nerves are starting to kick in.....and I'm trying to get as much sleep as possible, but my body refuses to let me. It's like it knows what's coming, and is getting me used to little sleep.

Excited, nervous, running out of fingernails to chew!

You will love reading Papilion. I watched the movie first, then read the book years later, and it is one of the few occasions that the imagery from the movie didn't intrude on my imagery from the book. Plus, as if you don't want to know what became of Papilion after he leapt off that cliff.

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 8:42:59 PM PDT
Hikari says:
THE LAST ENEMY (BBC-Masterpiece Contemporary) Starring Benedict Cumberbatch, Anamaria Marinca & Robert Carlyle 3.5 stars (so far)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock, Season 2 won't be released Stateside for another month, so I thought I'd kill some of the wait with this pre-Sherlock project from Benedict Cumberbatch. This 5-part miniseries, a project for the Masterpiece Contemporary imprint in partnership with the BBC offers a premise that starts out tantalizingly and then tends to sink under under the weight of its own complexity. This would have made a tight 2-hour feature film, but dragging it out to 5 hours blunts a lot of the forward momentum of the plot. Still, if you are a fan of any of these actors, and/or interested in life in contemporary Britain, there are some thought-provoking bits here.

As you may know, Britain led the charge in closed-circuit cameras on its citizenry to monitor crime. In a post-9/11 world, following the London bombings, plans were set in motion for a national identity tracking program that would help the British government monitor potential threats to national security. "The Last Enemy" imagines a Britain of the very near future where this sort of tracking has become a reality, replete with identity cards with GPS tracking chips installed, retinal scans at airports and so on. Theoretical mathematician Steven Ezard (Cumberbatch) returns to England after four years abroad in China to attend his estranged brother's funeral. His brother, a foreign aid worker in war-torn Afghanistan was allegedly killed when his Jeep hit a landmine on the Afghan-Pakistani border. Steven returns to his flat after the service to find two strange women there: an unconscious Arab woman in a bedroom, and the woman caring for her, Yasim (Marinca) who says she is Steven's late brother's widow. The sick girl dies; the next morning Steven goes to an important business meeting and returns home to find all signs of the two women completely eradicated from his flat. Thus begins Steven's mind-blowing journey into a shadowy world of Big Brother technology, conspiracies and cover-ups at the highest level of government. What did the sick woman die from? What happened to her body? Why did Yasim smuggle a sample of her blood to a doctor who then also wound up dead, shot at his clinic? What is the virus killing refugees at the Afghan border, and how were Steven's brother and his bride involved? Steven is being shadowed by a scary man (Carlyle)-what does he want? Meanwhile, the government is keeping tabs on all of Steven's movements as he tries to track down Yasim, because they want to find her first-to shut her up.

Part "Minority Report", part "Contagion", part "The Constant Gardener", there's a lot going on here and the convoluted plot does not promise to get any simpler. Cumberbatch, here a year before his breakout role as Sherlock Holmes, displays a sort of gangly Everyman befuddlement that is the polar opposite of the confident consulting detective, though Steven also possesses a brilliant mind that doesn't work like most people's. Steven is a man in over his head, which is completely understandable from a guy who writes theorems for a living. That resonant voice is still in play, but I must conclude that Mr. Cumberbatch is really only charismatic onscreen when he's playing Sherlock Holmes. Still, if dystopian thrillers are up your street, give this one a spin.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 9:12:40 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 27, 2012 4:03:52 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 9:14:59 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 27, 2012 4:03:53 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 11:03:02 PM PDT
The Sitter - directed by David Gordon Green

A 2011 retread of 1987's 'Adventures in Babysitting'*, 'The Sitter' sees one time indie director David Gordon Green continue his path down the road of so-so comedies. Starring Jonah Hill (before he lost the weight) as the sitter, the kid from Spike Jonze's 'Where the Wild Things Are' as one of the kids (there are two more. A girl who wants to be Paris Hilton and an hispanic lad who is actually very cool in this), and the pairing of Sam Rockwell and J.B. Smoove as the drug-dealin' baddies.

Almost entirely lame. A couple of good gags, but not enough to salvage any hope for the film. I shoulda watched 'All the Real Girls' instead, but i was in the mood for a comedy, but this didn't sate my needs in the least. I dunno...let's say 4.5 stars out of 10 (for J.B Smoove).

I shoulda watched 'All the Real Girls'.

*'Adventures in Babysitting' was retitled around the world as 'A Night on the Town'.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 11:06:02 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 27, 2012 4:03:59 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 6:11:05 AM PDT
Ah, Toby, just a few weeks away from the great event! This is an exciting time for you.

Just know I've been thinking of you and the missus, and am sending you vibes for a quick, easy birth.

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 9:37:24 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
Crazy, Stupid, Love. - I thought this was surprisingly great! I hate...and I mean, LOATHE, Steve Carrell. However, he really impressed me in this film, and showed that he does have some range in his acting ability. I thought the rest of the cast was also pretty fantastic, especially Emma Stone. The writing was also really good. I'm not usually one to like rom-coms, but I highly recommend this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 11:26:56 AM PDT
14 shows! The man is busy in a town where most cannot get a roll.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 11:32:52 AM PDT
What's Your Number

Cute, sweet, charming, nice butt

and the movies not bad either

except where she's bonking Andy Samberg.
Poor girl.

3 stars

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 2:18:07 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 27, 2012 4:04:08 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 8:03:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2012 8:03:52 PM PDT
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
Directed by Brad Bird

The IMF are shut down...doesn't this happen in every MI flick? Cruise is a rogue agent, saving the world on zero pay. Gadgets fall out of his pockets the same way cinema tickets fall out of Jonathan's pockets (that's..like...a lot). Your mission, if you choose to accept, is to watch this film all the way to the end (I walked about 1 minute before the final scene...I guess I failed the mission).

The action set-pieces were kinda lame. A climb up a building was ho-hum. A race through a dust storm was ho-hum. The Kremlin bit was better, but only because Simon Pegg was funny. The lost love bit with Paula Patton was ho-hum. The whole film was....you know what I'm sayin.

The films only saving grace was that it held its tongue firmly in cheek. Much more so than previous MI flicks. If it had taken itself more seriously, it would have stunk (like McGhee's feet!). It's an okay way to pass the time, but overall it was just an average flick.

Generous Toby gives it 5/10.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 8:26:23 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
Sloaniverse- it would have stunk (like McGhee's feet!)

Hey! Pay attention! I SAID I had a dog lick them.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 8:03:52 AM PDT
St. Trinian's--directed by Oliver Parker and Barnaby Thompson; starring Rupert Everett and Colin Firth, with Russell Brand, Mischa Barton, and Stephen Fry (among many others) in supporting roles. Ronald Searle's cartoons of St. Trinian's--the girls' school from hell--remain both funny and slightly disturbing, over 60 years after they first appeared. They first morphed into a series of films starring Alastair Sim as headmistress Miss Fritton--and then spawned this new interpretation in 2007, followed by one sequel to date.

St. Trinian's falls neatly into the anarchic tradition of British comedy--the Carry On series, Benny Hill, and the like. This is not exactly David Lean or Citizen Kane. The plot--St. Trinian's must pay off a 500,000 pound mortgage or it will close and the girls will go to (shudder) normal schools--is a pretext for a series of outrageously tasteless sketches--a most unseemly art class, toxic vodka made in the chem lab, an extended homage to Rififi via Mission Impossible, to name a few. Not to mention some rather sly humor--in the original series of films, Miss Fritton was named Millicent. Here, she is named Camilla--and bears more than a passing resemblance to the Duchess of Cornwall, and somehow Rupert Everett manages to sound more than a little like Jeremy Irons. The girls play a series of other schools in a College Bowl-like quiz game, and part of the humor comes from understanding the traditions represented by those other schools.

One cannot fault the cast in any way. Colin Firth and Rupert Everett had worked with Parker, before, on 2003 version of The Important of Being Earnest, and they are clearly having a great deal of fun here as well. (More than an echo of Thomas Gibson and Charles Busch in Psycho Beach Party.) And Rupert Everett, in a dual brother-sister role, is, well, just plain funny.

The start is a bit rocky, but once it gets going the film maintains a nice momentum--and, frankly, is very amusing but not demanding. Clearly not to everyone's taste--I quite liked it. The combination of low comedy and bits of slyly knowing humor--again, very much in the Ealing Studios / Carry On tradition--is very appealing. The most demanding thing here is checking your brain at the door. This is not a film that requires a great deal of analysis for enjoyment.

I'd say 7 out of 10, with a plus for sheer silliness.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 8:16:44 AM PDT
bella7 says:
WAS,

I had not heard of this movie, but it sounds good. I put it on hold at my library. : )

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 10:22:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2012 1:07:40 PM PDT
Hikari says:
LEWIS (Masterpiece Mystery series) starring Kevin Whately, Laurence Fox, Claire Holman, Rebecca Front
5 stars!

For those (most of you, I'm sure) who missed Mr. Stith's and my discussion of this outstanding series on various other threads, I'm putting a shout-out here in the topically-appropriate room. I feel like I must act as an evangelist for this wonderful show until everyone within the range of my keyboard has seen it. And you know, with the Summer Olympics in London just months away now, it couldn't be a more excellent time.

In the stand-alone pilot, Inspector Robbie Lewis (Whately) has just been recalled to the Thames Valley CID (Oxford) after a two-year posting to the British Virgin Islands. DI Lewis left Oxford after the unsolved hit-and-run death of his wife, and finally feels able to go back to work there. He has spent the intervening time grieving the loss of his wife and also that of his former mentor and boss, Inspector Endeavor Morse (John Thaw), with whom he spent 33 episodes of murder and mayhem in that prior series as Morse's sargeant. While a familiarity with the Morse series enhances one's enjoyment of this one due to the many subtle references to Lewis' predecessor, it is not necessary, as this series stands alone.

DI Lewis is met at the airport by his very own new sargeant, DS James Hathaway (Fox), and a dynamic, endearing and equally odd-couple partnership to the one Lewis had with Morse is born. Lewis, the senior man, is in his 50s now, a bit worn down by the job, but not beaten down, Northern-born, not university-educated, but possessing a reliable intuition bolstered by his decades of law enforcement experience learning from the best. He's open, honest and clashes at times with the rigid hierarchy of the CID represented by his female boss, DCS Innocent (Front). Returning to Oxford reunites him with his old colleague, forensic pathologist Dr. Laura Hobson (Holman), and perhaps Dr. Hobson will become more than just a trusted colleague by and by. He enjoys a good pint of bitter and has become something of a classical music buff in his spare time, in an amusing nod to the spirit of Inspector Morse. Hathaway is in his early 30s, Cambridge-educated, and before entering the police force had studied seriously to become a priest. These intriguing origins will become fodder for episodes. In his spare time, Hathaway dresses like a punk rocker and plays various archaic instruments in a group devoted to 'world music'. He's intellectual, snarky with his superiors, in an impeccably polite way, buttoned-down about his personal life and always looks like he stepped out of a bandbox in his official police threads. A very intriguing person, our sargeant. Laurence Fox, son of James, nephew of Edward, is extremely tall and extremely blond-and carrying on the family business admirably.

The acting from all concerned is first-rate, including the rotating list of guest stars. The scripts are witty and complex, a few not as strong as others, but Oxford and environs provides a scenic and venerable backdrop to them all. "Lewis" is a bit of a course in the arts and humanities and the history of some Oxford luminaries like C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien, but mixed in with plenty of the most contemporary murder, it most certainly is never boring. If spring in Oxford sounds like it could be your cuppa, this series earns the highest recommendation from me. Set Four of the series has recently been released on Amazon.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 11:10:34 AM PDT
Mike Gordan says:
Prince of Tides - 2 stars out of 10.

I really hated the fact that I lost my entire review of this movie the last time I typed it, so I'm just going to keep it brief. The characters are terrible, everybody overacts, it's cloyingly sentimental, there's a two-wrongs-make-a-right mentality, and the music is some of the most vomit-inducing that I've ever heard. No wonder why it was the nominee of 7 Oscars including Best Picture.

If there's a bright side in all this, it's that it's the only nominee of 1991 not to have a legacy of any kind. Even Bugsy is remembered as a solid gangster film, and the Oscar race was really between Beauty and the Beast, JFK, and eventual winner Silence of the Lambs.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Movie Game! Ten Movies Where . . . (June 2016) 1983 6 seconds ago
One Degree of Separation - Season Five 4710 2 minutes ago
The movie review thread for people who don't write movie reviews so well 465 36 minutes ago
The top ten anything thread 7084 59 minutes ago
Ben-Hur is a big, expensive flop 11 4 hours ago
Bette Davis 6 4 hours ago
"Star Trek: Beyond" 239 7 hours ago
Celebrities that look alike 549 8 hours ago
"Star Trek: Discovery" 7 10 hours ago
British Detective Series II: International Mystery & Mayhem 666 10 hours ago
Westerns 506 11 hours ago
TV Talk 4492 14 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  272
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions