Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

I am OUTRAGED! Burton's "Dark Shadows" is a comedy!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 996 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 2:44:06 PM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
To your edit: probably explains why I liked it. That was a really good, dark gothic film. Haven't seen it in may years though, so I will have to rewatch and see if my mind/brain still feels the same way about it. Jess Franco's "Jack the Ripper": now that is a Creepy film!

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 2:44:11 PM PDT
Savage Lucy says:
I used to love everything Tim Burton did, but he's sort of suffered from becoming a charicature of what he once was. I didn't even bother seeing Alice and don't know if I ever will. I do tend to like even his movies that get bashed the most like Sweeney, Charlie, and Apes. But unlike the bashers I wasn't a fan of the source material I just liked Burton.

The only Burton film I truly hate is Big Fish. I freaking hate Big Fish, I think due to serious business. Which all makes me sound like I can't watch a film that doesn't have any fart jokes or pie fights...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 2:46:06 PM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
Albert Finney was brilliant in that movie, though. He's typically brilliant and owner of perhaps my favorite character portrayal of all time: Under the Volcano (The Criterion Collection).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 2:52:04 PM PDT
Nah, 'From Hell' was directed by Albert & Allen Hughes, not Burton. Good movie, I liked it too, though the plot got pretty far-fetched toward the end.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 2:53:33 PM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
Yes. I think I was getting that mixed up with "Sleepy Hollow."

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 2:57:16 PM PDT
I kinda liked 'Big Fish', though it was a bit "preachy". Burton does the fable-type movies well, that's his forte. When he takes on pre-existing material, though, he sometimes has problems with it. Zolar's right...Finney's performance was excellent in 'BF'.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 4:16:43 PM PDT
The movie version of Miami Vice is an interesting example, as it is one of the few television to film remakes where a creator of the series was involved. What we ended up with was a grittier version of the idea that couldn't have been done on network television. . Obviously Michael Mann did not see Miami Vice as a comedy, though I'm sure that a modern screenwriter certainly would have.

The other example that comes to mind is the X-files movies which were a continuation of the series. Also overseen by the people who created it. Seems like a pattern emerging here.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 4:20:08 PM PDT
The Jack the Ripper film, "From Hell" I think you're referring to is not a Tim Burton film, but directed by the Hughes Brothers, from a story by Alan Moore.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 4:27:09 PM PDT
True, though it didn't quite work when David Lynch did that with 'Twin Peaks'.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 4:41:45 PM PDT
Jon says:
>Savage Lucy says:
"Trailer reminded me a lot more of Beetlejuice, Mars Attacks! and, yes, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory."<

Interesting perspective. I don't mind those first two, but I consider them - and the worst of all, 'Charlie' - worrying signs in his career. 'Edward Scissorhands' was as satirical and jokey as I want Burton to be, anything more and it gets too close to an 'Airplane!' or 'Space Balls' sort of parody... not my favored style.
It's like when the Coen brothers went off the rails a bit, adapting the brilliant, subtle British dark comedy 'The Ladykillers', and turned it into a Southern American slapstick farce with fart and shart jokes and hip hop and high school dunces. People were understandably peeved, if they knew the old movie of the same title.
I can see the same thing happening for fans of the old Dark Shadows.

I should note, perhaps contradicting myself, that my favorite Burton films are 'Pee-Wee's Big Adventure' (do they get more cartoon-y than that?!) and 'Ed Wood' (frequently incorporating a bona fide Woodian sense of aesthetics in the re-enacted scenes.)

Burton's gonna do as Burton does now, but I often wish this talented director would get out of his 'Burtonesque' re-imagination factory rut, and surprise people with a genre movie that isn't a redo of past successes ('Apes', 'Chocolate Factory', 'Alice', and now 'Dark Shadows') and even if I didn't cotton to his last 'surprise' ('Big Fish', ho-hum) I admire the spirit in which it was made. And not a Depp to be found in it!

He's found a design scheme and formula (and surrogate actor) that works for him, in his mind, and I guess nothing's going to change that in his life.
I guess I was looking for something more original out of this director, something that 'Edward' and 'Ed Wood' indicated he was capable of doing. I'm not going to write off 'Dark Shadows' based on the trailer; if it's anything like the trailer for 'Sweeney Todd' was, it's a fair enough indication for things to come. I can't tell yet... I actually thought the trailer for 'Alice in Wonderland' looked good, so I've been wrong before.
Burton's content doing these old properties and re-fabricating them in the same manner that Corman re-vamped the Poe tales in his style. He and his merry fans seem to like that.

A similar thing happened to Dario Argento, who's been in a creative rut for even longer, and his unfinished "trailer" for 'Dracula 3-D' is receiving much derision across the internet. There, too, I believe it's unfair to prejudge the tone and quality based on a prevue of clips. We'll see, what we see, unless we flee in horrified anticipation of the worst, or 'wait for the DVD'.
Personally, I'm looking forward much more to the Dardenne brothers neo-neo-neorealist 'The Kid with a Bike'. I'm always up for a good Gothic film too.

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 4:54:20 PM PDT
Savage Lucy says:
I -liked- Charlie and the Chocolate factory and I think what bothers me is this mindset that a thing is a thing and if we change it at all then that's just not acceptable. Do I love the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory? Yes, I do. Nobody is a better Wonka than Gene Wilder. And I love th book. I see no problem with Burton's version. It is very much Burton's version, and I still can't wrap my head around why people loathe it so. Apes I can sort of understand, but even that is a ludicrous concept to begin with.

So yeah, maybe a little miffed about a 'hilarious' version of Dark Shadows, but the use of the word "Outraged"? Really? With all the problems in the world people are really outraged about the treatment of a vampire-based soap opera? That's what I don't get.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 4:55:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2012 5:13:07 PM PDT
Jon says:
James Smith said: "The other example that comes to mind is the X-files movies which were a continuation of the series. Also overseen by the people who created it."<

I'm a fan of the first couple seasons of 'X-Files'; after that it got fairly mucky and I lost interest in it. The first 'X-Files' movie was typical of the swarm of movies-based-on TV in recent times: hacky, high-concept, predictable.

The second 'X-Files' movie, wasn't what the average 'X-Files' fan wanted apparently, but I really liked it. Just a straightforward, old-fashioned mad scientist spin with excellent wintery atmosphere. No special effects or alien space creatures. Very human, understated, and truly thrilling. And directed by the series creator, Chris Carter.

I've heard for years now that a movie or two was in the works for two or my favorite TV series of late: 'Deadwood' and 'Monk'. The series creators would of course be intimately involved in them. Nothing doing so far, and it looks like the projects have been dropped now.
The HBO suits kinds screwed 'Deadwood' over, I think. I still think they might do a 'Monk' TV movie. If they did dozens of 'Perry Mason', 'Gunsmoke' and 'Columbo', etc. TV movies, they should do at least one for 'Monk'!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 5:02:07 PM PDT
Yeah, makes you wonder if Burton's running out of ideas or getting lazy about writing original screenplays....

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 5:12:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2012 5:15:30 PM PDT
Jon says:
Savage Lucy,

Of course, I hope the OP was only engaging in temporary hyperbole with that "Outraged" stuff!

How can somebody be outraged with a trailer, right? I wasn't even outraged by 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory', and I thought it was a sucked beyond belief. Altogether bad filmmaking. But I don't begrudge Burton his right to put his spin on it. I think he loved the original movie more than the book, and I don't think he harmed the Gene Wilder version in any way by going his own way with the material. What I was annoyed at, was simply that it was a terrible movie, regardless of the material.

I'm speaking as someone who rather likes the Coen's 'The Ladykillers' (in spite of it falling incredibly short of the original) and Nora Ephron's 'Bewitched' to me is one of the most clever of "TV adaptations" ...what makes it so clever is that it's no sort of straight adaptation at all of the TV show, it's a movie about making a Hollywood movie adaptation, and as such, it's the best of it's kind in recent vintage. Possible exception: the also-underrated 'S1mone'.

You're probably looking at my post like I'm utterly deranged now, which I'm fine with, used to that!
Who knows, maybe Burton has a similar 'meta' concept up his sleeve for this 'Dark Shadows', and he didn't want to give the game away in the trailers?...Eh, probably not, yet where there's undiscovered film, there's hope!

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 5:59:29 PM PDT
J. R. SOUTH says:
I am outraged by the outrageous subtext everyone is giving to the word outraged! I don't think the writer meant it quite that literally.

BTW, "Bewitched" the movie was hor-ri-ble! Will Farrell---I'm not sure what he is, but it sure isn't an actor. Shirley MacLaine as Endora could have been the laugh-riot of the century, but Ephron totally under-used her. F-minus.

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 6:36:11 PM PDT
I was nearly outraged, but more disappointed when I saw the trailer the other day; it smacks of something that wants to have that cool 'Austin Powers' vibe about it. Unfortunately.

Some people are going to be thrilled with this spin on it. Diehard fans of the daily 1960's soap may have other feelings about it.

My thought is that Burton and Depp could have actually done something really fun if they went in a different direction: do a mockumentary movie about the MAKING of the serial ... the day-to-day grind of taping a show in a hurry, the flubs and mishaps on set that were left in each episode, drama and conflict among the cast and crew, the fans' ardent fondness for the series, and so on. Could have been a very interesting movie/comedy.

The thing is, the source material of the "Dark Shadows" story-line is such a rich mine of cool stuff and gothic trappings (vampirism, mad scientists, romance, family drama, werewolves, witchery, fogbound crypts, time travel, ghosts, etc), and yet we're going to have some goofy fish-out-of-water farce? Oh, poo.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 6:44:39 PM PDT
stevign,

re:
Except for Reality shows, you can't get lower than Soap Operas.

I'll take a fictional soap any time over these one-note, cringe-inducing rubbish heaps known as reality programs (be it the Kardashians show, The Real World, Cupcake Wars, Survivor, or whatever). It's like comparing literature to bathroom graffiti, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 6:48:19 PM PDT
Yeah, a parody along the lines of 'Soapdish' might have been interesting.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 6:50:03 PM PDT
Me too...those shows are the bottom of the barrel. Too bad they get viewers and are much cheaper to produce than dramas or maybe we wouldn't be inundated with so many of them.

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 6:50:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2012 6:52:28 PM PDT
I've always been curious, was the original series "Dark Shadows" aired live each weekday, or taped (in single takes even with dialogue errors and prop problems left in) and then aired a day or two later?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 7:18:51 PM PDT
Don't confuse hyperbole, with someones actual feelings. A person can be passionate about art, and still be a crusader against the injustices of the world. This is just a film discussion thread so it is assumed that we're all here because we like films and television, in general, and have some fondness for Dark Shadows. We know no ones gonna' burn down paramount or shoot Tim Burton over a bad television remake. Don't take it all so literally.

venussansfurs: Interesting point about the Twin Peaks movie. I'm not a rabid Lynch fan, but I respect him as a filmmaker with a unique vision. It can not be said that Lynch didn't make the film he wanted to make. He did however make a film that fans of the Twin Peaks series did not want to see. They wanted closure with the characters they had gotten to know. Lynch totally abandoned that thread and brought in a whole new cast and story. I didn't have a problem with that, however I was a minor Twin Peaks fan. Now this is interesting because one could also apply the same leeway I just gave to Lynch to good old George Lucas and his prequels, but that's another thread for another day.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 7:19:43 PM PDT
stevign says:
re: "I'll take a fictional soap any time over these one-note, cringe-inducing rubbish heaps known as reality programs"

That could be cold comfort indeed Sardy, I hope you never have to make that horrible choice. ;~)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 7:26:29 PM PDT
I'm not a big Lynch fan either, though I've liked some of his films, 'Elephant Man' being my fave (which is probably the most atypical movie he ever directed). I liked the 'Twin Peaks' series for a while, then it just got way too outre for me. 'Lost' was another series that had the same parallels...when that one got too far out, I lost interest in it as well.

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 7:47:14 PM PDT
Bela says:
I agree! big fan of old horror classics and johnny depp and this looked like a winner
until I saw the preview! are you kidding me? this is what hollywood is doing now?
this is an outrage! people can't stand a movie unless it's mindless horrible scripts
with more special effects or blood and gore or sex and crude jokes! i lost respect
for depp and will not see this. i hope lone ranger isn't a comedy!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 7:48:50 PM PDT
Actually, stevign, I think there's only like three daytime soaps left, so you may get your wish. Their ratings have gone way downhill in recent years and many of them have gotten cancelled. Let's hope reality shows go the same way!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  135
Total posts:  996
Initial post:  Mar 17, 2012
Latest post:  May 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions