Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Dance/Ballet movies

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 951-975 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012, 3:05:30 AM PDT
Cav/ you are thinking of two separate movies. Etoiles is on Netflix and shows POB in rehearsal and performance.
"La Danse" is in a category all it's own. Director Wiseman films long documentaries with no narrative at all. When he first showed it in NYC at Film Firum, no one expected it to be such a hit. What he was essentially showing was the POB ( he just filmed whatever interested him) and gave us a tremendous surprise. There were rumors that Paris had put together the long lost parts of Paquita and were doing a complete new version. Scenes here were evident and we went nuts. It was a huge hit and a year later Paquita eas released and I love it. You may not know but he did a fi in 1995 he made a movie in a similar fashion on ABT, called "Ballet". It's two discs and you can only get it through his company (Zipporah ) I think you would enjoy them.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012, 3:29:33 AM PDT
CMcGhee, et all , not another one! Now Gomez is guesting and probably going to. Russia! Time to throw myself in front of traffic!!
Michele

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012, 3:47:34 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
Myra Liebermaan- instructor

Well she does have a qualified teacher & she E-mailed me last night & said her failed pirouettes were on demi-pointe under the tutelage of her instructor. She is now considering just starting at the barre & see how it goes, no one can know what that leads to but she has received a lot of good information on the difficulties involved. I was unable to supply any of that (this is way out of my depth) & thank you for sharing your experience. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012, 3:49:57 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
Myra Lieberman- Time to throw myself in front of traffic!!

Pick my car. I brake for Ballerina's!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012, 6:34:21 PM PDT
CMcGhee/ glad to hear that . Tell her trying pirouettes on Demi point is very difficult do don't be discouraged. As I said before, beginning pointe takes you back to the barre to learn things differently . Also tell her to ask her instructor to check her shoes to see if they fit properly . If not, she will have problems. The block or tie box needs to be exact and it's checked while she stands on point even holding on to the barre and the shank( under her arch) should not be too hard for too long so she develops her own. I can help with how we mess with our shoes but it becomes an individual quirky thing. We scrape the bottom but companies pay for ours , so we get the European flat toe, and they are made for us. My shank is extra flexible. There are lots if things to help sore toes but blisters are inevitable. This is important because if they fit wrong she may get discouraged and give up. I'm rooting for her. Even if she doesn't get as far as she wants, she is doing something others can't and to be proud of every accomplishment. At least mine are paid for. In a full performance we go through several pair . She should be proud of her determination. Keep me posted. Now, concentrate on the wonders and magic of the experience. The difficulties, if properly managed, can be overcome if realistic. Merde to her from me.
Michele

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012, 6:35:42 PM PDT
CMcGhee- love it!! It should be a bumper sticker.
Michele

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012, 9:46:10 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
Myra Lieberman- It should be a bumper sticker.

If I wasn't so picky I'd have that made up & put it on my car for my daughter & you but I dislike bumper stickers on my car. I love them on other peoples cars though.

By the way Miss Merde- Oh you Frenchies! ;>)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012, 9:48:15 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
Cav- re: BALLET

My wife & I bought it. We enjoyed it immensley.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012, 10:53:31 PM PDT
CMcGhee- do you know what it really means? Uh, to be less gross it is feces in French. No matter, we. Say it for luck to each other before a performance. So, it was wishing good luck to your relative. In the Theatre they say"Break a leg", but that won't do for dance!
Michele

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012, 11:10:54 PM PDT
Cav- I'm so glad. Few people know it exists, but it's wonderful. Do you recognize anyone? A hint- Susan Jaffe, Amanda McKerrow, Julio Boca, Alessandra Feri, even Julie Kent. The list continues. Wiseman, who produced"la Danse" has a love of ballet . He spoke of if since childhood. This ballet was considered an " art film" and not expected to be so popular. Paquita ( the French version of 2010) is a must see. Also their new Beauty is amazing. I have never enjoyed this ballet due to so much( non dance) , but this is newly re- choreographed by Nureyev's former partner. The male variations are very tough. But, Ariel Dupont and Manuel Legris are magnificent. I had nearly given up in finding a version of Beauty I liked until now. Etoiles, a separate movie is also a favorite. I sound like an ad agency but these plus "La Danse" are my favorites. Happy watching.
Michele. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012, 11:51:00 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
Myra Lieberman- know

Yes I do, remember or have you seen Mel Brooks History of the World Part 1. It's gross-out humor but in the period covering the French Revolution they have a guy selling rats as meat. As they pan over to him you see street signs & one is Rue de Merde. I assume that's where they go for sauce for the rats.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012, 11:55:10 PM PDT
CMcGhee- yrs, we are a weird superstitious bunch. But, it's always a pleasure talking with you. To be honest, we are afraid Not to say merde because something awful might happen

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012, 12:01:59 AM PDT
C McGhee says:
Myra- weird

Weird is good. Wierd is so good it could become normal & then normal would be weird. That's weird if you think about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012, 12:29:50 AM PDT
CMcGhee- boy, we are weird or normal or whatever. No, with ballet it is superstition. You wouldn't believe how bad some people are. Putting the right shoe on first, hugging a certain way, little do dads people have in their dressing rooms. It's endless. I have a stuffed ballet doll given to me years ago. This is embarrassing . She has to sit on my dressing table and I have to kiss her before I perform. I don't really know what I'm afraid will happen, maybe my partner will drop me, or I'll trip myself, or forget what I supposed to do?? Now, that's weird!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012, 12:45:33 AM PDT
C McGhee says:
Myra Lieberman- doll

No that's normal. My wife had a stuffed toy chicken, full-sized & very well done. She sold it in a rummage sale one day about 2 years after she got it. My mother was a farm girl from western Kansas & loved anything to do with chickens. I was a bit upset when my wife got rid of hers, so she told me that she would get another just like it. There was of course no way to get a new one & finding a used one unlikely. This was pre-internet for us. NINE years later she is at a rummage sale looking for a certain brand of silverware & spots my chicken. It's still in great condition & so she brought it home. I cleaned it & fluffed it & it's on my dresser right now but only because about 3 years ago I caught my wife putting it in a box to be donated. We now BOTH understand where that chicken is to stay. I still pick that chicken up when I want to be a little boy again. Works everytime.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012, 3:29:10 AM PDT
CMcGhee- I guess I'm not alone. However, if Princess Aurora is missing, I'm not sure I would want to dance. I may fall on my face.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012, 3:40:05 AM PDT
C McGhee says:
Myra- if Princess Aurora is missing

If Princess Aurora is missing I'll find her & bed......wed I mean wed her.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012, 5:51:21 PM PDT
CMcGhee- thank you I think. However , she is safely in my apt as we are not performing.
Michele

Posted on Jul 12, 2012, 6:59:18 PM PDT
Everyone/ tonight my biggest thrill. Marie Agnes Gillot is performing here tonight . Oh my God. I hope I remember my French for the reception. Tonight.
Michele

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012, 7:26:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 12, 2012, 7:27:53 PM PDT
Myra,

I'll be with you in spirit, but I know very little French, so I can't help you there. Have a fab visit with her.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012, 11:59:14 PM PDT
Richard- how very sweet! I think a great deal of my company, but, this was truly magnificent! I have to say they are the very best! I am still spinning. My French was adequate and now my longing to dance with them has increased dramatically. A wish on a star !
Michele

Posted on Aug 4, 2012, 6:14:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2012, 2:43:37 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
I rewatched Michael Powell's The Tales of Hoffmann last night for the first time in years. I had forgotten how much sheer dance is in the film. Moira Shearer was especially enjoyable. This time it didn't bother me that the movie makes Hoffmann's last love, Stella, a ballet dancer instead of an operatic soprano. I also enjoyed Robert Rounseville as Hoffmann more than in the past. I used to think his singing was as stiff as his screen appearance, but last night I didn't experience it like that. He seemed more sensitive to his music and words than I remembered. Bruce Dardavel's singing of the four villains was always quite nice and still is. Ann Ayers as Antonia impressed me more than in then past, too. And, of course, the visual splendor and sheer imagination of the film remain as impressive as ever. I don't intend to wait so long before my next viewing.

Posted on Aug 17, 2012, 8:51:48 PM PDT
Hi out there ! Are you all doing well.? Some news from the home front. I am dancing Fall Saeson which I never thought possible . I've always been so traditional in my dancing, this is different for me. In the fall the company dances at Citi Center for a week or two. But, the repertoire is different. Cory, one of my favorite partners has convinced me to try. All the works are modern, choreographed by Twyla Tharp , Agnes de Mille, etc. we are learning most but I really like Twyla's piece. It's pretty different . But. after seeing POB and the great modern pieces, I'm hooked. So, will keep you posted. We have lost many dancer's. So, I don't mind for awhile. Even the Nutcrscker's casting was unsure. Haven't done it in ages . That'd at Brooklyn Academy of Music. Will keep you posted. It is so good to escape my crazy world and to talk to people like you.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2012, 9:15:07 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
Myra Liberman- doing well

It certainly seems you are. Dare I say you've landed on your feet? I'm glad to hear you're trying something modern as I have a soft spot for some Australian dance not to mention some outrageous French (Dracula) stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2012, 1:12:41 AM PDT
CMcGhee- yes, I have landed on my feet. It's good to hear from you. After our visit from the POB, my opinion has changed. We are fortunate they are sharing some pieces with us. They do some really outrageous pieces and make them look wonderful and exciting. Perhaps I needed a change. Cory, my old partner, convinced me to try. Not sure about anything yet. I do like the new one from Twyla Tharp, although I've been warned the costume is tight and sparkly.
Paris did a newly choreographed version of Carmen that I loved. Auriele DuPont performed it and if we get it, It's mine! I think you will like these new pieces, you devil, you.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  1067
Initial post:  May 24, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 8, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers