Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

What Happened To the Great VOICES in Film?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1201-1225 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 20, 2012, 11:15:03 AM PDT
MK Hill says:
Who care about their voices - What happened to real movie "stars"?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012, 11:16:37 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 27, 2012, 4:02:49 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 20, 2012, 11:48:58 AM PDT
TMI, and insulting Hitchcock.

Way, way, way off topic.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012, 1:00:40 PM PDT
Peridot says:
Taz, TMI = Too Much Information. Sorry about that, I thought most everyone these days was familiar with the acronym.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012, 1:05:50 PM PDT
Peridot says:
'Its bad enough when people live in the past, but to live in a past THAT NEVER EXISTED is downright mental.'

Seriously, Taz, have you READ any of my posts? ;-p It does seem that folks think television and films portray real life onscreen. In that case all those who do are truly mental.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012, 1:07:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 20, 2012, 3:36:07 PM PDT
Peridot says:
'Who cares about their voices - What happened to real movie "stars"?'

MK Hill, those of us who post on this thread care. Perhaps you should start another about real film stars? What's a real movie 'star'?

;-D What's your position on Richard Boone?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012, 1:09:49 PM PDT
Mona re: clinical depression

I have to laugh when I see advertisements on tv for anti-depressants. Their idea of clinical depression, apparently, is that people sit around looking glum and staring off into space! I ask myself: who are these ads intended for? Obviously people who suffer from clinical depression know they are nonsense! Are they trying to get relatives to relate, to pressure them into requesting such and such medication? Weird.

I remember and interview with Rod Steiger talking about waking yup in the morning and lying there, waiting, dreading the moment when "the darkness would descend" on him again. Chillingly sad.

Have you ever heard a well-meaning person say, "Well, when I feel down, I just do something I like that always cheers me up." Talk about not "getting" it.

I think its great that you got medication that helped, but I think in some cases its physician-shorthand, this "chemical imbalance", a way of dismissing very real problems and trying to cover them up with drugs. I suspect its not chemical as often as they claim it is.

It seems to me that a lot of the time they get it backwards because its easier for them to deal with that way. Is it more often that a "chemical imbalance" impacts the way a person looks at Life, or is more often that their observations and interactions with Life have led them to this particular outlook? In that case, chemicals aren't going to do much good and neither are psychiatric wards. Because neither is going to fundamentally change anything.

When you get out, the world is still the same.

But, if you found the right solution, good for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012, 1:13:53 PM PDT
Mona re TMI

Nope, never heard it. But I tend to shy away from those abbreviations. I had to ask someone what "LOL" meant. I thought it always meant "lots of luck" and couldn't make any sense out of where that fit in!

Besides, can you actually have "tmi" on an Amazon discussion thread? Kind of seems like that's what its all about. Someone complained posts here were too long. Well, as I believe you pointed out back there, that's what the "ignore" button is for.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012, 1:17:54 PM PDT
Mona: "have you READ any of my posts"

I don't think I missed any.

"It does seem that folks think television and films portray real life onscreen. In that case all those who do are truly mental."

Well, they CAN, and sometimes do, but it isn't always a very commercial decision because most people don't want to be told the truth. Most certainly, as I was pointing out, those who get all caught up in nostalgia for old Hayes-era movies, apparently, actually LIKE censorship and its inherent falsehoods.

Even today, we are, for the most part, getting only one point of view on most issues. There is some kind of censorship going on, even if its not called that.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012, 1:18:30 PM PDT
"What happened to real movie "stars?"

As opposed to PHONY movie stars? Huh?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012, 1:38:46 PM PDT
Hikari says:
TAS,
The difference between us is that I do regard suicide as a moral issue. No snarkiness intended--we are on either side of a philosophical divide, and though I disagree profoundly that your way of nihilism is more 'mentally healthy' as you wrote in your last message, I realize that I can't get you to think as I think and vice versa. We are just very different and coming from completely different backgrounds and life experiences. I think it was probably a mistake on my part to broach these issues here--it's not the time or the space, and I have known for a very long time that my views on many of these matters are risible to the community. So it's back to movie chats!

'Hughesian' was a reference to Howard Hughes, famous hermit. I found some similarities in your shared reluctance to deal with the outside world, but wasn't intending it as snarky. I am sometimes, as I have expressed before, a bit concerned about your tendency to isolation, but if you're happy it's certainly none of my business.

Movie chats, ho!

Last night's episode of Lewis was the one where Hathaway discovers that the con man he has in custody is the same reckless driver that killed Lewis' wife. I thought the Inspector was unfair to his sargeant for bawling him out over not telling him 'sooner'--he told him the very next day, after he had consulted the DCS and tried to choose his moment. There is just no good time to get news like that. Fox got his tour-de-force episode and I think this was Whately's--so far. The reflection of his face in the window of the interrogation suite when he was regarding his wife's killer spoke volumes without a single word.

I always marvel that actors can get their faces to be so subtly expressive without benefit of seeing themselves . . how do they KNOW they conveying what they want to? Guess that's why I'm not an actor--I don't think I could do it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012, 2:34:55 PM PDT
Hikari:

I don't know why the Hughes thing went over my head. I think it must be all these Mormons I have screening my emails for me. Their white gloves keep smearing the print.

I am reminded of the line from "Inherit the Wind" where the defense attorney says, that "at the risk of prejudicing the case of my client, right and wrong has no meaning for me. But Truth does."

To me that says a lot. I just don't see the world as being full of moral issues. I think people have created "morality" to suit their own ends. Its so relative to time, place and individual that it has long since ceased to have any objective meaning. But truth, what is real, that is something you CAN get a handle on, something definable.

"Nihilism"? I don't prescribe to any "ism" and I am certainly not an "ist". I am just telling what a lifetime of observations and analysis reveal to me. I have never found any "ism" or "ity"that made all that much sense to me. They are all devised by fallible humans. It sometimes surprises me how eager people are to line up and associate themselves with some "ism" or other instead of coming to their own conclusions.

You might recall I said that, back in the nineties, it became a necessity to get something, or someone, between me and the outside world. It has made a great difference, even if a fragile one. I am sure you can read between those lines. I wouldn't want to be accused (again?) or TMI!

LOL (couldn't resist).

I remember that episode vividly. I think I mentioned it as one of the best with the Elves and Ms. Stirling's. It was, indeed, Mr. Whately's finest hour, or one of them, on the program. And it was full of ironies, large and small. I actually remember the scene you refer to with Lewis watching through the interrogation window. Here was the man who had changed, ruined his life forever. And the event wasn't even that important to him! It had nowhere near the impact on him that it had on Lewis. And you could see that the etches on Lewis' face. Rather than some great, evil Villain, the perpetrator was, as I recall, rather pathetic.

As I remember, Lewis quite rightly, as I recall, doesn't try to go the "revenge" rout. In the end, he's always a decent person, no?

Speaking of actors doing so much with their faces, that reminds me--again--of Michael Kitchen's Christopher Foyle. Since you saw the early episodes, do you remember the one where Charles Dance played--brilliantly--and pro-Nazi anti-semitic Moseley-ite? There was a scene where Foyle is questioning him, professionally concealing his disdain and disgust, but the smarmy Dance (playing "Guy Spencer"--as the author said, you expect to dislike someone named "Guy Spencer") sees through this and sees he can't intimidate Foyle. So, as he's leaving, Spencer says, "By the way, Mr. Foyle, are you by any chance Jewish?"

Kitchen stops and the look he gives him is priceless! You keep expecting him to say something, but to the credit of the writer and the actor, he doesn't say a word. He just puts on his hat and leaves.

Talk about speaking volumes without saying a word!

Which reminds me, parenthetically, of a story about another great actor: Charles Chaplin. The Nazi government in German banned his films, because of the "communist politics of the Jew Chaplin." Well, United Artists--and many others--told Chaplin for YEARS to make a statement clarifying that he was, in fact, NOT Jewish--because they were losing so much money in Europe.

And Chaplin steadfastly refused to make any such denial. I think I liked Chaplin even more after I heard that.

Posted on Apr 20, 2012, 2:37:25 PM PDT
Hikari:

Forgot to mention this. I don't know about all actors, but I recently read a voluminous biography (nearly 1000 pages) about Spencer Tracy and he practiced hours and hours every night before filming, not just getting the dialogue right, but practicing in front of a mirror to make sure he was projecting the right look for the camera on each line. And that was back in the thirties! I assume that good actors, even on 21st century UK tv, may do the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012, 3:57:05 PM PDT
Peridot says:
Taz, re:antidepressant ads on television, IMO (in my opinion) they can be somewhat helpful. Antidepressants stop working at times, for what reason we do not know. I've gone to my physician and asked for a different medication and been helped tremendously by the new med. I was on a drug that saved my life but caused an enormous weight gain. I was unable to lose weight because this medication increased my appetite at the same time that it affected my judgement. It was similar to drinking large quantities of alcohol, it made me loopy.

Other medications were prescribed but failed to be effective. When I noticed something new advertised I'd visit my doc and ask to try it. Cymbalta worked for me and allowed me to stop taking Elavil and I lost 100lbs. Thank God. Elavil saved my life when I was suicidal and couldn't sleep more than 2 hours at a time but there were side effects.

Without it I'd definitely be dead. I know this because my mother-in-law persuaded me to stop taking it after I'd been on it for a few years. A telephone call to the Suicide Prevention Hotline and the treatment I received made me realise she was misguided and no one to take advice from anything to do with health or medicine.

So, to answer your question, in one way the ads raise the consciousness of people who may not know they are depressed. For this reason they fulfill a public service. OTOH (on the other hand), a depressed person who is on medication may decide their meds aren't working and may ask for something different when they visit their doc.

The loss of my sister likely predisposed me to having depression. The early loss of my father probably sealed my fate. Deep grief at an early age causes changes in brain chemistry, just as 'Broken Heart Syndrome' can cause a heart attack in people who experience loss. How can you believe in one which has been documented and disbelieve in the other? Research shows that there is a link, which we don't yet understand.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012, 4:37:53 PM PDT
Mona:

I don't say that NO ONE has a chemical imbalance in the brain that causes clinical depression, but rather than that diagnosis is a knee-jerk reaction among physicians because giving a person drugs is a shortcut. Its treating a symptom in many cases,not the root problem. Sometimes I think they don't take it seriously and are hoping for some kind of placebo effect.

Obviously this was not the case with you, but doctors generally over-medicate even when more profound help is needed. Again, even with that broken heart syndrome, everything goes back to the brain, which we know so little about.

How about this scenario? They prescribe one medication after another, nothing works, so they change the diagnosis! Instead of clinical depression, they change it to dysthmic, which means medication doesn't help much! They never admit to any mistakes--just that they can't do much to help. Now THAT is the medical profession all over!

If drugs don't take care of the problem, then its the patient's fault!

My problem with tv ads is their naive depiction of depression. Its as if no one involved in the making of the ad ever had any contact with clinically depressed people who they are presumably trying to help. They make depression look like the person is just having a bad hair day!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012, 4:58:31 PM PDT
Peridot says:
Weeellll...my good hair days were few and far between when I was in the Slough of Despair. Short of depicting people with their head in a noose or about to leap off a cliff, wouldn't it pose a problem to show depressives as they really are: sitting in filthy homes with dirty pajamas on they've worn for days on end, unable to force themselves to face another day? That wouldn't be very pretty, would it?

The Cymbalta campaign was effective. I recall the Weimeraner dog looking neglected, holding its leash with sad puppy eyes wanting attention. Or was it simply resting its head on its paws mournfully? Either way, with Cymbalta it got to go for a walk. O brave new world with such happy pooches in it!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012, 5:24:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 20, 2012, 5:25:01 PM PDT
Mona: "That wouldn't be very pretty, would it?"

Well, no, but its not a beer ad! As its advertising about a dreadful disease, a little reality might be effective.

I am always amused by pharmaceutical ads anyway. They have a voiceover listing some long involved list of HORRIBLE side effects while everybody on screen is blissfully smiling away--usually with the sun shining brightly in a cloudless sky!

I think the poor dog is just woefully neglected. The woman gives him a wan smile and sort-of pats his head--while staring distaractedly at the floor!

Its funny what you said about the weight gain. My wife still swears that it was the lithium I was on for quite a while that made me gain weight. I don't if that is medically accurate, but she swears its so.

And that didn't please me about doctors either. They over-prescribed the lithium and I could hardly walk. I kept falling down and couldn't concentrate for more than a few minutes at a time. I'm lucky I kept my job!

(TMI)?

I am just not a big fan of the medical profession I guess.

Posted on Apr 20, 2012, 5:48:42 PM PDT
Hikari:

This sucks: I just checked Amazon and Ebay and half and you cannot buy a set of Lewis OR Morse for less than something like $20-$25 USED! Even the bidding on Ebay starts high. Except the pilot and first three which I had and sold! So, I bought Case of the Silk Stocking and Red Riding Trilogy and I'm going to go home, watch my Remorseful Day and pout.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012, 8:02:47 PM PDT
Hikari says:
This is why I want to get a region-free DVD player--the British prices for home-grown programs is so much cheaper than getting the watered-down repackaged sets for sale here.

I told you that my complete set of L&0:UK worked out to less than $18--for nine DVDs, including shipping from England. I'm worried that it's too good to be true . .but I figure it's a discontinued format and somebody was motivated to offload theirs. The seller was well-rated, so I will hold my breath and see. It may take 3 weeks to get here, but I can be patient.

Bye the bye, to purchase both seasons in the American version would have been closer to $50. I think I did quite well. Still can't get Case Histories or Zen to go low enough for me on Amazon USA. Haven't priced those on our sister site.

It seems like you should pack it in on Ebay, if all your proceeds from gutting your CD collection aren't even paying your seller's fees. You'd be better off at a flea market. Do you have a Half Price Books or a Powells in your area? My friend made about $300 from selling her late brother's mostly-unopened CD collection. He had an Internet shopping problem--he'd sign up for CD of the month clubs and so on, and would never open them and they just piled up. He died destitute in a men's shelter, but he had a storage unit to house all his junk he just couldn't part with.

I probably have about 100 VHS tapes in boxes in my spare bedroom and I can't give those suckers away. Really, people won't even take them for free in a library booksale. I waited too long to ditch them . . I shoulda sold 'em when I could still have gotten $1 for them. My current plan is to make my existing TV the VHS set when I upgrade to a flatscreen. Someday.

Posted on Apr 20, 2012, 11:43:30 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 27, 2012, 4:02:52 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012, 10:49:02 AM PDT
Peridot says:
Taz, I still feel guilty about neglecting the best dog in the world while I was depressed. She was Sugar the wonder dog and she's been gone, lo, these 20 years now. She deserved better. She had a good life but she was neglected while I was depressed. She should have been in films. She was that great a dog.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012, 10:49:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2012, 10:50:19 AM PDT
Peridot says:
ILHJ, which movie forum?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012, 11:12:39 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 27, 2012, 4:03:10 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012, 12:21:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2012, 12:32:12 PM PDT
Peridot says:
The reason I inquired was I wondered if it was one I enjoyed at one time. Gladly I posted on a regular basis until some raging hormone queen decided since she had started the thread it belonged to her. Suddenly the rules under which we had until then been playing no longer applied. SHE owned the thread, SHE changed the rules. I was invited to leave if I didn't like it the way SHE wanted it. OK, since that was how SHE wanted it, I left and I haven't returned. I wondered if it was the same thread, that's all.

Edit: searched for the thread I mentioned above. It's dead or dying, I can't find it. It was so much fun once upon a time. So sad when people don't know how to behave in public places.

Mere idle human curiosity, nothing else. Happy to hear your problem's sorted. ;p

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012, 1:16:54 PM PDT
Hikari: "if all your proceeds from gutting your CD collection aren't even paying your seller's fees"

Well, the problem seems to be that I can't find inexpensive copies of the titles I want to add to my collection, so I end up being able to purchase maybe one dvd for every three or four that I sell. Then, Ebay and/or Amazon take their portion, then there's the shipping, and if you use paypal, its more that they take for the privilega and boom its just gone. I sold four dvds over the weekend, was able to buy one with the money today, and there's almost nothing yet. I did pay my Ebay feels with proceeds I got from Amazon, but I had to sell several to equal the price. It seems a lose/lose situation.

Are you SURE that you can't sell those vhs tapes on Amazon? You would be surprised how much some of them sell for. I have looked up several vhs tapes I would like to have of films that were not released on dvd and they vhs tapes are too expensive for me to buy! That is, I am not going to spend $30 or more for a vhs tape, which is what many cost. Used. You should run a few titles that you have just to make sure. They might be worth more than you think. (For instance I was trying to get a copy of Flight of the Eagle or the uncut 3 hour vhs of Voyage of the Damned and they were around $100!)

Last night around Midnight I went through the cabinet which holds pretty much all the vhs tapes I have left and could find NO Morse titles even though I know I taped many, many of them, but I did find two tapes with Inspector Lewis on them. And guess what? The first one I put in the machine had "Life Borne of Fire" on it! How's that for luck? I started watching but thought I had better watch it tonight when I am more wide awake.

You know, I don't always figure these out, with all that symbolism with the firebird being reborn--I feel really stupd!

I will check and see what the other episode is that I have tonight. At least I have something to watch.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  79
Total posts:  1671
Initial post:  Jan 13, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers