Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Build-a-title:

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 642 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 1, 2012, 5:35:19 PM PST
M. Flanders says:
Let's play a game of build-a-title!

If you're familiar with Doug Benson's Doug Loves Movies podcast you already know the rules. If you're not, here they are:

You start with a movie title and you add to either end of it. You want to match words or parts of words. When a movie starts with "A" or "The," drop those words. The goal is if the extended title is read aloud it sounds normal, even if you have to fudge the spelling.

Movie titles only, please, but documentaries or obscure movies are okay.

Here's an example:

Without a Clue (1988) is the base

Without a Clue + Clueless (1995)= Without a clueless

Without a Clueless + Less Than Zero(1987) = Without a Clueless than Zero

The next step would be to tack on a movie title that starts with "Zero" or ends in "with" or "without"

You don't have to type the years, I'm just doing it to identify that they're really movies by naming their year of release.

Let's ditch the example and start with:

Safe House

Posted on Mar 1, 2012, 5:56:53 PM PST
I don't understand the point of this game. Is it humorous? And does the title go on infinitely? Just curious.

Posted on Mar 1, 2012, 6:19:57 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Apr 19, 2012, 2:39:34 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012, 6:29:09 PM PST
Hikari says:
Safety Last House on Haunted Hill

(Ha! Foiled you. 'Hill' has got to be easier to play with than 'of Wax')

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012, 6:40:38 PM PST
M. Flanders says:
It's quite humorous when played in person. The humor may not translate to the forums, we'll see--this is the first I've tried. It can't really go on indefinitely. Inevitably the title gets to a point where nothing starts or ends with the words you have to work with. But then someone can just propose a new title and just continue with new titles.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012, 6:45:44 PM PST
Aha... thanks for clarifying. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012, 6:46:24 PM PST
M. Flanders says:
J.P. your suggestion doesn't quite fit the rules. It shouldn't change the working title at all, just add to it at the ends--yours changes the middle. But no worries, we'll just go with it and hope everyone gets the hang of it with more examples.

Hikari- awesome. I think you've got the hang of it.

Safety Last House on Haunted Hills Have Eyes

Posted on Mar 1, 2012, 7:01:11 PM PST
Kelly says:
Safety Last House on Haunted Hills Have Eyes Wide Shut

Posted on Mar 1, 2012, 7:11:34 PM PST
M. Flanders says:
Sweet!

Safety Last House on Haunted Hills Have Eyes Wide Shutter Island

(hint, you can use partial words, so the next poster can use a title that starts with Island or even just land)

Posted on Mar 1, 2012, 7:12:40 PM PST
Safety Last House on Haunted Hills Have Eyes Wide Shutter Island of the Dead

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012, 7:23:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2012, 7:24:29 PM PST
Hikari says:
Safety Last House on Haunted Hills Have Eyes Wide Shutter Island of the Dead Calm

(Nicole Kidman's first and most appealing role. Compare Nic there and now and tell me she hasn't ruined herself.) Hope I haven't killed the thread already. To Google, everyone!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012, 7:28:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2012, 7:31:40 PM PST
M. Flanders says:
Don't forget you can add to the beginning. Unfortunately I don't think that end stretches very far at all. I've avoided adding to it because I think everything caps it, but we'll see:

Fail Safety Last House on Haunted Hills Have Eyes Wide Shutter Island of the Dead Calm

Posted on Mar 1, 2012, 7:34:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2012, 7:39:46 PM PST
Fail-Safety Last House on Haunted Hills Have Eyes Wide Shutter Island of the Dead Calms, You Say

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1288368/

yep, Dead Calm is my fave NK too. That or 'BMX Bandits' ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012, 7:35:55 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Apr 19, 2012, 2:40:24 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012, 7:39:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2012, 7:40:46 PM PST
Fail-Safety Last House on Haunted Hills Have Eyes Wide Shutter Island of the Dead Calms, You Say Amen, Somebody

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086245/combined

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012, 7:46:43 PM PST
Hikari says:
Whew . . .disaster averted. Excellent save, Sloany!
------------------------------------------------------
Fail-Safety Last House on Haunted Hills Have Eyes Wide Shutter Island of the Dead Calms, You Say Amen, Somebody Up There Likes Me

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012, 7:50:13 PM PST
Fail-Safety Last House on Haunted Hills Have Eyes Wide Shutter Island of the Dead Calms, You Say Amen, Somebody Up There Likes Mean Girls

That's what I'm here for ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012, 7:51:46 PM PST
Too Big To Fail-Safety Last House on Haunted Hills Have Eyes Wide Shutter Island of the Dead Calms, You Say Amen, Somebody Up There Likes Mean Girls

Posted on Mar 1, 2012, 7:52:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2012, 8:02:09 PM PST
M. Flanders says:
J.P: It's just a game so don't sweat it. I'm just glad people are participating.

Posted on Mar 1, 2012, 7:57:20 PM PST
Kelly says:
Fail-Safety Last House on Haunted Hills Have Eyes Wide Shutter Island of the Dead Calms, You Say Amen, Somebody Up There Likes MEan Girls Girls Girls

Posted on Mar 1, 2012, 8:00:26 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 1, 2012, 8:02:26 PM PST]

Posted on Mar 1, 2012, 8:00:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2012, 8:02:39 PM PST
Look Who's Talking Too Big To Fail-Safety Last House on Haunted Hills Have Eyes Wide Shutter Island of the Dead Calms, You Say Amen, Somebody Up There Likes Mean Girls Girls Girls

Posted on Mar 1, 2012, 8:02:47 PM PST
M. Flanders says:
Look Who's Talking Too Big To Fail-Safety Last House on Haunted Hills Have Eyes Wide Shutter Island of the Dead Calms, You Say Amen, Somebody Up There Likes Mean Girls Girls Girls Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012, 8:07:57 PM PST
Look Who's Talking Too Big To Fail-Safety Last House on Haunted Hills Have Eyes Wide Shutter Island of the Dead Calms, You Say Amen, Somebody Up There Likes Mean Girls Girls Girls Girls Just Wanna Have Funny Games

Posted on Mar 1, 2012, 8:12:06 PM PST
The Last Place You Look Who's Talking Too Big To Fail-Safety Last House on Haunted Hills Have Eyes Wide Shutter Island of the Dead Calms, You Say Amen, Somebody Up There Likes Mean Girls Girls Girls Girls Just Wanna Have Funny Games
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  642
Initial post:  Mar 1, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.