Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch $5 Digital Albums PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

What is the first thing that comes to your mind when I say...?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 9, 2013, 8:14:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2013, 8:28:51 AM PST
Okay, here's how this thread works; somebody picks a name or a topic about any subject at all, it doesn't have to be just about something that is related to movies, it can be about anything at all, and others will then post the first thing that pops into their minds in response.

Okay, I'll go first...

What is the first thing that comes to your mind when I say...

James Cameron

Posted on Feb 9, 2013, 8:43:08 AM PST
Larry Kelley says:
Rock: John Cameron Swayze. Wasn't he an uncle or something to James, and the grandfather of Patrick?

Posted on Feb 9, 2013, 8:53:56 AM PST
Patrick Stewart.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013, 8:54:25 AM PST
Larry, I couldn't find anything about him having any family connections to James Cameron, but according to Wikipedia he is related to Patrick Swayze.

"John Cameron Swayze and the actor Patrick Swayze were 6th cousins once removed."

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013, 8:56:14 AM PST
1st. Star Trek: the Next Generation.
2nd. X-Men

Posted on Feb 9, 2013, 8:58:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2013, 9:00:41 AM PST
Okay, to make it a little clearer for people to know if you are responding to a name or topic already posted or creating a new topic, please cut and paste the following before posting your new topic...

"What is the first thing that comes to your mind when I say..."

Posted on Feb 9, 2013, 12:56:36 PM PST
MTK says:
What is the first thing that comes to your mind when I say...

Chevy Chase

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013, 2:14:49 PM PST
The first thing that comes to mind for me when I think of Chevy are the National Lampoon Vacation movies. I remember hearing years ago concerning one of the latter vacation movies, I can't recall if it was the Christmas one or the Vegas one, of Chevy going on a rant about how the rest of the cast wouldn't be there if it wasn't for him. LOL.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013, 4:39:16 PM PST
D. Larson says:
The first thing that comes to mind about Chevy Chase?

Small city in Maryland, once specializing in racism and antisemitism, now a bedroom community for D.C..

Now, if you mean the actor/comedian, I'd say (1) Slioghlty talented but never all that funny, and (2) Did not age well. At all.

What is the first thing that comes to mind when I say quantum chromodynamics?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013, 4:55:33 PM PST
apokálypsoz says:
Daniel Craig as James Bond zipping through the Hadron Collider tunnel.

What is the first thing that comes to mind when I say, "lovable racist."

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013, 5:23:20 PM PST
MTK says:
Loveable Racist? Paul Mooney.

Richard Pryors sidekick and best friend his whole life. Hilarious stand up in his own right, but the humor is mainly race related and brilliant. Charming dude...

Posted on Feb 9, 2013, 5:24:22 PM PST
MTK says:
Whose the first person that comes to mind when i say...

Classic Beta Male

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2013, 7:59:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2013, 8:01:18 AM PST
"What is the first thing that comes to mind when I say quantum chromodynamics?"

The Google Search Engine. Hyuk.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2013, 8:05:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2013, 8:08:23 AM PST
"Whose the first person that comes to mind when i say...Classic Beta Male"

Ooh, (raises hand) George McFly from Back to the Future?!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2013, 9:01:34 AM PST
FallenMarvel says:
or Biff before getting knocked out by George

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2013, 9:25:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2013, 9:26:26 AM PST
I think you meant to say after Biff got punched out.

Biff Tannen: "Mr. McFly! Mr. McFly, this just arrived. Oh, hi, Marty. I think it's your new book."
Lorraine Baines: "Oh, honey! Your first novel."
George McFly: "Like I've always told you, you put your mind to it, you can accomplish *anything*."
Biff Tannen: "Oh, Marty. Marty, here's your keys. You're all waxed up, ready for tonight."
Marty McFly: "Keys?"

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2013, 9:54:39 AM PST
FallenMarvel says:
Oh, you did say Beta. I was still thinking Alpha. My bad.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2013, 1:20:17 PM PST
D. Larson says:
What Beta males come to mind?

Jason Bateman has made a whole career of protraying hapless, put-upon clueless guys.

Michael Cera has a promising business going, doing the same characters younger.

Another Jason, Jason Alexander, got his big break as the always beta'd George Costanza.

Lots of actors have made a first rate career of playing second-raters.

So, what comes to mind when I say "No better than she ought to be"?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013, 3:17:36 AM PST
So, what comes to mind when I say "No better than she ought to be"?

Kathy Griffin.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013, 9:35:23 AM PST
FallenMarvel says:
Will the real Slim Shady pleas stand up?

Posted on Feb 11, 2013, 12:39:13 PM PST
Hikari says:
Tester: I'm going to say a word, and I want you to say the first word that comes into your mind. Ready? Tree.
Brian Lane: What type of tree?
T: No--that's not important. Just say the first word that comes into your mind, OK? Tree.
B: Well, the first word that came into my mind was "What". Followed quickly by 'Type' and then 'of' and then 'tree is it'?

Brian is later disqualified from the study for his 'abnormal' responses.

--from New Tricks

Nothing comes into my mind after "Will the real Slim Shady pleas stand up?" Can I take a pass?

What about . . .

Les Miserables

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013, 1:09:42 PM PST
MTK says:
Kathy Griffin, love her or hate her, has some highly entertaining and funny moments. Her act does get a bit old after awhile....

Griffin's routine plays out like this....Kathy (in wide eyed amazement) gets invited to an A-List Hollywood party...then shows up and plays the star struck everygirl...she then gets in the middle of some A-List movie/music/Tv stars way and then decides to shake things up....then report back to us as BFF's about all the trouble she caused.

If she didn't genuinely adore these superstars she annoys, she wouldn't be half as funny. But Griffin really does feel like your old high school girlfriend who can't wait to gossip when everyone else's back is turned. I for one, LOVE her.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013, 2:30:15 PM PST
FallenMarvel says:
I was referring to Kathy Griffin. She was in that video.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013, 4:43:42 PM PST
D. Larson says:
When you say griffin, the first thing that comes to mind is the obese idiot on the inexplicably popular cartoon show.

The second thing would be the fantastic mythological creature with the head and wings of an eagle, the body of a lion, the tail of a serpent and the pause that refreshes.

Now, what does Kathy make you think of, aside from Cathy, the inexplicably popular comic strip that your grandmother read for fifty years or so?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013, 11:05:27 PM PST
I don't love or hate Kathy Griffin-- she was just the first person who came to my mind as being just as popular (or unpopular) as she deserved to be, which was supposed to be the criteria, as I understood it, as opposed to some I consider more popular than they deserve, or under-appreciated..
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Feb 9, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.