Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17
Customer Discussions > Music forum

The Beatles : American Music and The British Invasion

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 11:49:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012, 11:50:22 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Eddie:
yes...that was 1/2 of my point.... :)
love,
joyce :)
p.s., nothing, for me, can beat 'strangers'.....nothing....(so don't forget it)
p.s.s., i am always glad you are here.....always.... :) :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 11:49:17 AM PST
H&L says:
Joyce, the timing was right, they were heavely marketed by their record company, well with regards to The Beatles, while timing and marketing is important, it was the product that they produce that was the outstanding quality of the music that the population became sold on.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 11:51:27 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Lawrence:
yes, all is true, and all had an influence in the outcome, but i also believe it was their fate to be there, and to do what they did....
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 11:53:12 AM PST
H&L says:
Yes, just think what it would have been like to be a fly on the wall and watch a great artist create their work. Outside of music, say be that fly to watch an Ernest Hemmingway write at work in a room by himself writing one of his novels.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 11:54:07 AM PST
H&L says:
Yes their God given talent:)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 11:59:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012, 12:01:57 PM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Lawrence:
i think each one of us has a 'fate' here, and their's was to 'come together', be a group, be a 'force', and make major changes in music. also, to leave behind this music, for the whole world to enjoy, for as long as there is a world....i know John and George are both gone from here, but so many times, i hear them on the radio, and i just smile....i am so proud of them, and what they accomplished here, in this life, was tremendous, and awesome! i know both had their issues, and neither were 'perfect', but that is not at all necessary. at the end of the day, they should both be very proud of impact they made, and all of the beauty they left behind. if i could only do 1/2 as well as they did, i would be happy with my life/accomplishments....not to say, by any means, that they were/are the only ones...we all know that is not true, but that fact does not diminish their 'results'.....
thanks for the post, Lawrence! :)
love,

Posted on Nov 7, 2012, 12:01:03 PM PST
rokroller says:
The Who - Orlando, Florida 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDJn1ys3jeg

Posted on Nov 7, 2012, 12:02:34 PM PST
Steelers fan says:
RE M. Blues

The first Moody Blues LP, "The Magnificent Moodies", with "Go Now", came out in 1965. It isn't considered part of the "official" canon. They tried again a couple of years later with a new Mellotron-based sound. So they can be considered a "later" Sixties British group.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 12:05:16 PM PST
H&L says:
Joyce,

The elimates all came together to create the Universe, nice comments:)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 12:05:34 PM PST
MiBoDoCa says:
I don't agree. The population initially became sold on their image and the cute mop tops. I don't believe "the outstanding quality of their music" was evident at the beginning. They were cute, marketed well with distinct personalities and the country "needed" something after Kennedy. There is no question that as they grew their music did as well but I doubt the teenagers who initially latched onto them were doing it because of their incredible chord structures. They were cute and cuddly. That's why.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 12:07:38 PM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Steelers Fan:
earlier....later....it all works for me! :)
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 12:12:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012, 12:15:58 PM PST
I do need to make a correction to my original post.

Like many people, I tend to think of The Moody Blues "first" proper single as being 1967s "Nights In White Satin", as recorded by the now Classic personnel lineup, forgetting that they had previously released "Go Now" in 1964 with their earlier personnel lineup which included Denny Laine.

So, this means that technically The Moody Blues WERE part of the Original British Invasion and not part of the "Second Wave" as I originally suggested.

Added Edit: I just saw Steeler's post after I had posted this one. I agree and also *personally* consider the Moodies proper to be "Second Wave". But I suppose a case could be made either way. It just depends on how "technical" you want to get.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 12:13:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012, 12:21:14 PM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Mitch:
yes, they were more 'simple', at first, and they did indeed develop, and do more and more (the 'weirder'/complex they got, the more i LOVED them!), and yes, the timing was good, but i really don't think it was just that....if they were not innately talented as individuals, and as a 'group', when they came together, they would have had a hit or two or three, and been gone...they did not....they DID improve, and they did create 'change', and they did each go solo, and continue to create and 'change'.....i do think they were marketed, but lots of people are, especially these days, and they are here today, and gone tomorrow....the timing was a factor, but not the only one...they themselves were 'the factor'....Justin B. was considered 'cute', and a teeny bopper idol, but do you really think that his music will be listened to/talked about, dissected, etc., 50 years from now?
good timing, history being in the right 'allignment', may be able to get you 'in the door', but only your own talent/uniqueness/creativity will keep you there.....
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 12:16:37 PM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Cyberian Husky, Steelers Fan, and All:
no problem, and anyway, as SF pointed out, some groups were members of both the original 'british invasion', and also a 'second wave british invasion'....or just became popular, again....some never really lost their original popularity, and some rode the first wave, and then disappeared....
(btw, love the MB too!)
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 12:27:05 PM PST
MiBoDoCa says:
Again we're talking about the initial burst. That had NOTHING to do with quality of music and EVERYTHING to do with image and marketing. The fact that they grew out of it to create great music has nothing to do with their initial popularity.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012, 12:32:47 PM PST
..."if you'll buy that, then I'll throw the Golden Gate in free"*

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 12:34:18 PM PST
H&L says:
Joyce,

The tenny boppers like Justin B have highjacked music to advacne their own careers. They are not artitist. The masses today will fall for anything and buy crap.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 12:35:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012, 12:38:30 PM PST
Mitch,

I was 4 years old when I first heard, " I Want To Hold Your Hand." I had no idea who the Beatles were or what they looked like but I loved that song. As a 4 year old I was not a very sophisticated listener, to be sure. The song made me want to move and it put a smile on my face. That was my initial burst and it had nothing to do with marketing and everything to do with the quality of the song. I don't know how much attention that one should give to the perspective of a 4 year old child but I am sure that my liking that song had nothing to do with marketing...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 12:36:48 PM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Lawrence:
i don't think he is not serious about his 'artistry'....he is not my idea of great music, but he does take it seriously...yes, he is definitely being marketed, as are many others, but he is doing it, because it is what he loves to do. he considers himself an artist. i just don't particularly care for his music.
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 12:41:07 PM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Daniel:
they did have a certain 'quality' or something about them; even in the early days...if they did NOT, there would not have BEEN 'later days', nor would we all be discussing them here, in their own 'forum', for the 5th (??) incarnation..... :)
love,
(you may have only been 4, but you still knew what you liked! it has to do with whether or not someone, or a group of someones, touches/stirs your soul....all the techniques/rules/regulations, etc. doesn't matter....does it do something to you? does the music move you?)

Posted on Nov 7, 2012, 12:41:35 PM PST
I think you also have to consider what else was going on when The Beatles came out. Rock and Roll/pop music was all pretty simple. Even those great sounding Phil Spector recordings were just teen angst songs mostly. Yah, you had Dylan but folk music had yet to merge with rock and roll yet. You had blues but blues was also net yet part of the mainstream yet either. So really, The Beatles even in their early simple period were still ahead of the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 12:43:11 PM PST
Hinch says:
Thanks Bonnie! I'm happy you like it. I know how it can be trying to catch up on posts.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 12:43:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012, 1:00:51 PM PST
Mitch,

I respectfully must disagree.

Yes, Image & Marketing and Timing were definitely factors but, when it came time name the "Prom Queen" to fill the musical vacuum, compare the Beatles to the also-rans.

Most were doing cover songs (Hollies, Stones, Pacemakers etc.) You forget that The Beatles were one of the FIRST to compose their own original material. The Stones, Hollies, Gerry Marsden etc. all followed suit AFTER they saw the success the Beatles had in that area.

Also, while "Love Me Do" may have been unremarkable (Who called them "The Everly Brothers with English Accents?) "Please Please Me" and "I Want To Hold Your Hand" were more than credible SONGS in their own right.

Also, a BIG part of their appeal was their unique SOUND which, as I recall, was largely a function of Ringo equally accenting all four beats in the Measure with equal emphasis. (This is heard MOST prominently in "Hold Me Tight".)
Nothing like this had been heard before before by American ears.

Added to the fact that they were a TIGHT Musical unit as a result of thousands of hours of Hamburg performances, and they were clearly the Cream of the Crop.

Added edit: Also, I forgot to mention that the First Song played on that famous Ed Sullivan appearance which introduced them to the US was "All My Loving" which included McCartney's ground-breaking melodic bass movement which was light years beyond what other groups were doing at the time.
While I'm sure the technical achievement was lost on the audience, the resulting SOUND that it produced was captivating!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 12:45:21 PM PST
Joyce,

As always, you are a sweetheart!

Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 12:49:23 PM PST
Joyce says:
Dearest Dan(iel):
thanks for saying so! i am glad you are 'back'!!!! :)
love,
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Song Game - Part V 2972 50 minutes ago
* The Music Of Our Lives 6.4 * 6248 1 hour ago
Alphabetical Song Game 1 2471 3 hours ago
best trippy psychedelic bands from 1966-68 523 4 hours ago
Neil Young's "Time Fades Away" finally on CD! 29 5 hours ago
Favorite 'Live' Blues Albums 18 5 hours ago
Musical Diary 6605 5 hours ago
Out-of-Print Albums That Shouldn't Be 120 5 hours ago
1966: *Every* Rock Single/Album Reviewed 571 6 hours ago
1967: Every Rock Single/Album Reviewed 1488 7 hours ago
2017 45 8 hours ago
mystery group? 10 9 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  49
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Nov 6, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers