Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Music forum

the greatest police album ever?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 28, 2013, 9:27:21 PM PST
for me it is ghost in the machine but i love synchronicity and outlandos d'amour.what is there best in your opinion?

Posted on Feb 28, 2013, 10:11:55 PM PST
Synchronicity and Zenyatta Mondatta tie, for me...

The others I've heard sporadically over the years, but those two have always stuck out the most. Excellent band.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013, 6:12:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013, 6:13:13 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Not a huge Police fan at all but I like Ghosts in the Machine, side 2. Probably because I saw that tour (my only one) with great seats.
Oingo Boingo gave them a good run for the money that night! (It was in L.A.)

I really like Sting's doule live CD, when he was in his early jazzish period, best.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013, 6:17:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013, 6:26:07 AM PST
Barry Smith says:
GHOST IN THE MACHINE totally blew my mind as a kid! My first non-Beatles album, when I was first starting to get into music. It sounded like the album was recorded in another universe! And the digital graphics on the black cover reinforced this idea.

But I still love the music. "Hungry For You" (J'aurais Toujours Faim De Toi) was always my favorite song. "Secret Journey" totally blew my mind, especially the other-worldly introduction. "Spirits in the Material World" was the perfect album opener. "Darkness" was a great song from Stewart Copeland. All the other songs were great...
I was only disappointed that there were no printed lyrics on the sleeve.

SYNCHRONICITY was a little too commercial for me but I love that album too. The sound is sort of a continuation of Ghost in the Machine.

The debut album OUTLANDOS D'AMOUR was raw and powerful. The Police were a different band back in those early days.

Least favorite Police album.... Live 1983 concert from Atlanta. Totally uninspired and missing some songs. And those backup singers were pathetic!!!

Posted on Mar 1, 2013, 8:08:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013, 8:08:57 AM PST
Dugan Nash says:
For me, it's a tie between Outlandos D'Amour and Zenyatta Mondatta. Outlandos is probably strongest start to finish imo, but Zenyatta has their best single album side (side 1 is absolutely flawless!).

Synchronicity is too pop for my taste and on several tracks comes off more like a Sting solo album. My favorite cut there is actually an Andy Summers track, the bizarre and (to me!) funny middle eastern flavored track, "Mother": "Every girl I go out with, becomes my mother in the end...".

Ghost has some standout moments but I rarely listen to the whole thing. Considering Regatta De Blanc comes between my two favorite Police albums, that one has always been kind of a disappointment to me. Not bad, but not nearly as good as the albums immediately before and after it.

Outlandos D'Amour ****.5
Zenyatta Mondatta ****
Ghost In The Machine ***
Regatta De Blanc **.5
Synchronicity **

Posted on Mar 1, 2013, 9:36:26 AM PST
B. rogers says:
Zenyatta Mondatta followed by Ghost In The Machine.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013, 10:19:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013, 12:58:36 PM PST
Music Lover says:
I find with all The Police there's always one dominant side that I really prefer and then another that's just okay.

Debut-Side 1 I love everything but Side 2 while still good lags a bit at the end with Be My Girl-Sally and Masoko=which is good but entirely too long,imo

Reggata-I'm probably one of the few but I love Side 2 completely. Side 1 is again decent but lags for me

Zenyatta and Ghost-Really love all tracks on Side 1 but side 2 is the weak sister this time

Synchonicity-Side 2 is the powerhouse while 1 has moments but Mother and Walking In Your Footsteps bring it down for me

I'd probably have to give Ghost the overall nod as a complete album(though I despise Too Much Info and One World)

Posted on Mar 1, 2013, 10:28:34 AM PST
J. Coco says:
"Zenyatta Mondatta" for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013, 10:43:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013, 12:17:21 PM PST
AlexMontrose says:
Ghost all the way. Synchronicity is entertaining and has some good songs. Zenyatta's ok. The others...over time have become pretty minor league to me.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013, 12:14:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013, 12:18:20 PM PST
I'm a huge Police fan and in my opinion, Outlandos D'Amour has gotta be the greatest. It just has so much raw energy, creativity and humor that I've always had it close at hand. It seems to really exemplify the 'new wave' coming out of England at the time with it's sarcasm, silliness and youthful abandon. Ahhh to be twenty again.....(sigh)
Of course, I do realize that as their albums kept coming out through the eighties, their musicianship, lyrics and polished-ness got better and better, but I stand by the debut album for it's gut impact!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013, 12:25:37 PM PST
Dugan Nash says:
L. Crosby - I completely agree and that's why Outlandos remains my favorite, though Zenyatta is awfully strong imo too, but in a very different way. Overall I find both the songwriting and playing more subdued and polished, but in a good way.

But Outlandos was just such a shot right outta the gate, especially when combined with other early tracks from singles and other releases like "Fallout," "Nothing Achieving," "Dead End Job," "Landlord". Such attitude and energy from young white punks hooked on reggae. A very different band than the one that would record "Synchronicity" just 5 years later...

Posted on Mar 1, 2013, 12:53:37 PM PST
The Police are one of the very, very few rock bands where *every* album was strong, IMO. "Zenyatta Mondatta" is my favorite--as zlh67 says, side one is utterly flawless, and side two is almost perfect. "Ghost In The Machine" has some of their best-ever material but I didn't like the horns on a couple of tracks. Here's my grades:

Outlandos D'Amour: B+/A-
Regatta De Blanc: A-
Zenyatta Mondatta: A
Ghost In The Machine: A-
Synchronicity: A-

Posted on Mar 1, 2013, 1:07:01 PM PST
S. Rice says:
Ghost In The Machine is the only Police album that still holds any interest for me. I always liked the more ambient tracks like `Invisible Sun' & `Secret Journey'.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013, 1:15:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2013, 3:54:55 PM PDT
AlexMontrose says:
Rice,

Every word in your post I couldn't agree with more (although I still like Synchronicity and assorted cuts from the other albums)

But Ghost has that certain intangible (it's darker, that's definitely part of it) which IMO keeps it fresh and interesting...and the two songs you picked are my favorites, with Invisible #1.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013, 10:48:27 AM PST
The 1st.

That's when the Truth Hit Everybody.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013, 10:57:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2013, 2:27:00 PM PST
Johnny Bee says:
They were all criminal.

White Reggae - now there's a fine example of an oxymoron.

Posted on Mar 3, 2013, 8:50:03 AM PST
Hinch says:
My favorite is Syncronicity. I own the box set that includes all their previous studio recordings in chronological order. I'm a bigger fan of Sting than The Police, esp his first few albums.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013, 11:51:15 PM PST
Bob Bykowski says:
The Police, for me, were a band that was always served best by a compilation box-set, because all of their albums had their share of filler interspersed with the good stuff. Even Sting admitted in 'Rolling Stone' a few years back that the band was always more concerned about the quality of their singles and live shows rather than making consistent albums. Perhaps if they would have lasted longer, that would have changed.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013, 12:01:24 AM PST
For me, the first record is a classic the rest have not faired so well. That first record is like Little Richard if he was reborn in an English rock group in the 70's. All energy and catchy tunes. Rock n roll !!!!!!

Sting solo is like torture to me. Just Musak but worse. Pretention ooses through the horrible junk he has done. Sorry, but Sting is the opposite of good music for me. Troggs vs. Sting....? The twain shall never meet. It's a divider of taste. Celine Dion and Sting just bug me.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013, 4:56:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013, 4:56:38 AM PST
Johnny Bee says:
Hear, hear, Anthony!

(although he did right a decent song for Johnny Cash to cover - 'I Hung My Head').

Posted on Mar 4, 2013, 5:48:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013, 5:50:41 AM PST
Barry Smith says:
Sting's first solo album DREAM OF THE BLUE TURTLES was a masterpiece! I loved every song on that one and still enjoy it today. I loved his backup band featuring the likes of Branford Marsalis, Kenny Kirkland, Omar Hakim and Darryl Jones. This album brings back so many memories of the Summer of 1985 (a year I really got into a LOT of great music).

NOTHING LIKE THE SUN, was a worthy follow-up as he was utilizing a lot of the same great jazz musicians. After that I think his albums started to become repetetive and somewhat uninteresting. What do y'all think??

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013, 6:52:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013, 9:24:57 AM PST
AlexMontrose says:
I think you're right Barry. The first couple solos had some real good songs. Can't remember the titles now, one I liked a lot had the same kind of feel/vibe as Synchronicity. After that there were probably a few more good songs here and there until the inevitable (especially in Stings case) ego taking over, they all love me, who needs the Police blah, blah , blah. He soaked up all the adulation for a few years there.

And then....a few years later when the Sting love had died down and he became musically irrelevant, he started telling us how many times a day he banged his wife. Got him some attention, didn't produce any more good music. Go back with the Police Sting.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013, 9:39:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013, 9:40:23 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Here is the tracklist for Bring on the Night...the live record I referenced above...Sting's solo best!

Side one
1."Bring on the Night/When the World Is Running Down You Make the Best of What's Still Around" - 11:41
2."Consider Me Gone" - 4:53
3."Low Life" - 4:03
Side two
1."We Work the Black Seam" - 6:55
2."Driven to Tears" - 6:59
3."Dream of the Blue Turtles/Demolition Man" - 6:08
Side three
1."One World (Not Three)/Love Is the Seventh Wave" - 11:10
2."Moon Over Bourbon Street" - 4:19
3."I Burn for You" - 5:38
Side four
1."Another Day" - 4:41
2."Children's Crusade" - 5:22
3."I Been Down So Long" (Alex Atkins, J. B. Lenoir) - 4:54
4."Tea in the Sahara" - 6:25

Sting - guitar, basses, vocals
Darryl Jones - bass guitar
Branford Marsalis - saxophones, rap
Kenny Kirkland - keyboards
Omar Hakim - drums
Janice Pendarvis - backing vocals
Dolette McDonald - backing vocals

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013, 10:26:58 AM PST
@AlexMontrose: "Go back with the Police Sting."

Um, I'm sure you're aware of this, but he did. They reunited for two massively successful world tours in 2007 and 2008. No new music, though, which is probably all for the better since I don't believe Sting capable anymore of writing like he used to.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013, 11:10:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013, 11:12:40 AM PST
AlexMontrose says:
Uh, yeah I am aware. Just think he should realize that no one cares how much Kama Sutra he's doing, how much tantric sex he's having, how many times he was on Oprah, 10-15 years ago. It's 2013 and all that's left musically is to go back with the Police.

He doesn't have to, you've always gotten the impression he's a total in love with himself fat cat, I'm too good for.... but what the hell? Like you say, Sting musically, by himself is probably tapped out. But putting out another Police album ? At least that *could* be interesting. Or maybe I should say it could have been interesting at one time.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Feb 28, 2013
Latest post:  Aug 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer