Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Prince vs. Michael Jackson

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 177 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2016, 7:37:55 AM PDT
Dugan Nash says:
Not to mention, I'd *love* to see his list of the "thousands" of musicians that are of the caliber of Prince.

In the pop-rock realm, I can think of guys like Zappa and Stevie Wonder you could certainly argue for, and I'm sure there are at least a couple of others, but... it's an awfully short list of people who can not only play but are proficient on bass, drums and keys and also rank as one of the best guitar players of all time AND who have also written, produced, played on and sang on the # of landmark albums and hit singles that Prince has. I struggle to come up with 5, so I'd love to see the list of "thousands"....

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2016, 9:36:37 PM PDT
@Exile: "Buzzard on page one couldn't have been more wrong, could he?"

OMG, that is a *scream*!!! Everything he said wouldn't be the case, was absolutely the case! LOL

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2016, 9:23:12 PM PDT
Exile says:
Buzzard on page one couldn't have been more wrong, could he?

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2016, 8:45:55 PM PDT
Yea, FallenMarvel, I think Prince was less concerned with making a strict stylistic pop thing. Though he could and did. Michael started out less so but completely became just a pop music guy.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012, 10:22:22 AM PST
FallenMarvel says:
Michael does have the edge for longevity in performing. Prince has the edge of teaching himself how to play instruments. Prince I think had a more designated audience where Michael had practically the world in his hands. I think Prince was more like 'this is how I make my music. You love it or hate it, I don't care' kind of artists.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012, 8:10:16 PM PST
Jules says:
Well, that's true;)

Posted on Nov 24, 2012, 7:07:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012, 7:09:35 PM PST
I give the edge to Michael Jackson mainly because of his collaboration with Quincy Jones on 'Off The Wall', 'Thriller', and 'Bad. 'Thriller' has sold over 110 million copies worldwide.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012, 4:49:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012, 1:19:42 AM PST
Hinch says:
I own every Prince album on either vinyl or cd. I can't say every one is great, but most are very listenable. PURPLE RAIN, AROUND THE WORLD IN A DAY and EMANCIPATION are my favorites.

I own OFF THE WALL, THRILLER and BAD. Each has songs I like but I don't listen to any of the 3 all the way through.

Of course, all of this is based on opinion and taste. Everyone has their own.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012, 4:32:42 PM PST
Jules says:
I think that is how I felt, too. Michael was pop, I bought 'Off The Wall' and the 'Thriller' albums, but I have numerous Prince album/CDs. Both before the 'Purple Rain' time and to the present and he is more 'rock' and mature, to use your word. Yes, they are/were talented, I think Prince is much more healthy, and he is still working. In the 80s I had the Prince hair for awhile, you know, curly ringlets, shorter on one side. My big brothers thought it was hysterical;)

Posted on Nov 24, 2012, 2:28:49 PM PST
Suze says:
SMH at these comments.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012, 2:25:44 PM PST
Hinch says:
There was nothing wrong with the music of either. They were both good at what they did. I prefer Prince for the reason's you mentioned. Also, his music had a wider range of styles. Being a bigger fan of rock than pop, I had more interest in the music of Prince. His music, imo, was more serious, mature and progressive. Michael's music seemed to target a younger audience and remained within a defined sound.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012, 1:58:16 PM PST
Jules says:
My vote goes to Prince, for all the reasons given by the other posts. He is a talented guitarist, songwriter, and except for the WTH name change, has stayed relatively normal. The changes Michael made to his face/skin was his decision but my son was scared of him when we watched him on t.v., lol;)

Posted on Nov 24, 2012, 10:48:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012, 4:52:13 PM PST
Hinch says:
I went to school with a couple of children with the same skin disorder. I can understand wanting to hide it with make-up or by whatever means available. Whatever Michael chose to do with his skin or his nose was his personal choice and business. None of this has anything to do with his obvious talent or the quality of his music. Of course everyone has the right to like or dislike anyone, for whatever reason they choose.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012, 10:10:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012, 10:20:07 AM PST
FallenMarvel says:
I don't know any artist who doesn't have eccentricities about them. Both Prince and Michael are probably the definition of eccentric and enigmatic. I guess that coincides with creative minds. Some of the most creative people can be a bit 'off'.

Both of them were talented in their own way. Michael was a strong vocalist since he was a kid and mastered the art of dance performance. While Prince isn't as strong vocally he is a well-rounded musician in numerous instruments in addition to being a pretty good dance performer himself. Both of these guys were perfectionists to the highest degree. Honestly, I can't see putting one over the other, but I can't see slighting Michael because he wasn't instrument-savvy. He still had a great ear for music and knew what he wanted his music to sound like. That's like saying a pianist isn't a real pianist because they can't read music. Both men were innovators in their own way. It's a shame they weren't able to have a successful collaboration with each other.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012, 9:21:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012, 9:23:18 AM PST
MC Zaptone says:
What a shame, I missed your retort. Which I'm sure was witty to the point of arousal.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012, 8:12:09 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 24, 2012, 8:22:06 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012, 7:44:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012, 7:47:57 AM PST
MC Zaptone says:
Sigh.............see my previous post, D. Mok. Your previous post does not make grammatical sense but I think I know what you mean. Yes, there are surgical/cosmetic solutions to the problem, skin darkening is certainly possible thus retaining ones natural skin coloring. As for your attempt at vernacular deprecation, the question mark should be placed after the word 'another' not 'idiot' or are you inquiring as to whether or not I am an idiot? Just checking.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012, 7:25:09 AM PST
D. Mok says:
> So do many people but they don't change the colour of their face and whole body, hence my comment.

Did you think a performer had the luxury of not disguising skin vitiligo in some way or another, idiot?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012, 6:07:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012, 6:15:49 AM PST
MC Zaptone says:
Yes, he had some bodily vitiligo, that's well documented. So do many people but they don't change the colour of their face and whole body, hence my comment. Was his decision to discard his negroid nose in favour of an aquiline/caucasian one part of a disease as well?
I'm happy to be called a moron (my MENSA membership aside) but it doesn't change anything. I realise that some people have a blind faith towards their heroes and will always defend the indefensible, so no offence taken, no harm done.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012, 4:42:18 AM PST
D. Mok says:
> He turned his back on his own ethnicity (don't bother telling me he had a skin condition, we all know that complete crapola)

Jackson's *autopsy* confirmed his vitiligo, moron.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012, 3:28:05 AM PST
South Park Mexican is better than both.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012, 3:21:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012, 3:22:12 AM PST
MC Zaptone says:
C'mon guys, eccentricities, quirks????? He turned his back on his own ethnicity (don't bother telling me he had a skin condition, we all know that complete crapola) not only did he make himself into a white person, he spent tens of thousands of dollars remodelling his face into that of a white woman (a young Liz Taylor I believe was the look he was after). He built an amusement park in his yard to entice young children to sleep with him. Even if it wasn't sexual, you try telling a judge it's just an eccentricity of yours and see what happens. On top of that, he was a multi-millionaire and managed to spunk it all up the wall.
He undoubtably made some good music, was a great showman and could dance BUT REALLY people, just quirky. I don't think so.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012, 7:00:17 PM PST
Bob Bykowski says:
Prince had/has a funky sound and sings too much about sex -- you'd think he was trying to be a black version of the band AC/DC with the way his lyrics are composed !

Michael Jackson had an appealing dance-pop sound, but the way his personal quirks were constantly shoved into one's face by the media, it's hard to listen to his music these days without thinking of his
eccentricities.

Personally, I'd take Sly & the Family Stone, Marvin Gaye, James Brown and Otis Redding over either one of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012, 3:13:05 PM PST
Suze says:
Hi, D. Mok: Did you catch the Bad 25 Special on ABC last night? If not, it's available to watch here in it's entirety:

http://globalgrind.com/music/watch-michael-jackson-bad-25-special-video-spike-lee

I thought it was well done...

Enjoy

Posted on Nov 23, 2012, 11:29:06 AM PST
Hinch says:
Oh well! I can't be right all the time...so sue me. (-:
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Musical Diary 7835 14 minutes ago
Song Game - Part V 7553 22 minutes ago
What are you listening right now? 4322 1 hour ago
1967: Every Rock Single/Album Reviewed 2865 1 hour ago
* The Music Of Our Lives 6.4 * 8849 1 hour ago
1965...Fabs And Boys Enter Psychedelia Start Up??..Norwegian Bird (This Bird Has Flown) The Beatles -- In The Back Of My Mind- -The Beach Boys 68 4 hours ago
Alphabetical Song Game 1 3428 5 hours ago
dennis wilson 6 14 hours ago
While You are looking for something to Post in this Forum, what are you listening to??? 5349 15 hours ago
6 months in, Trump's presidency is an unmitigated failure of historic proportions! 11 15 hours ago
Select multiple songs for removal, or, remove entire album 0 22 hours ago
The Official Soft Rock/Adult Comtemporary Appreciation Post!!! 398 22 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  61
Total posts:  177
Initial post:  May 27, 2010
Latest post:  May 5, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer