Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Music forum

What was the first record you bought and after you played it said "that was a waste of money!"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 72 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:38:09 AM PST
Johnny Bee says:
But you'd have grown to love them ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:21:37 AM PST
Johnny Bee,

Funny you should say that about the Dead. Their cover art with the skulls and their band name always made me think they were a metal band too. I think I finally heard them at the age of 17 via "American Beauty" and "Dead Set", which a friend had, I and was surprised how mellow they were.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 8:24:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 8:24:54 AM PST
Speaking of jam bands, I remember when this guy named "The Dude of Life", an old associate of the band Phish (my favorite band at the time), put out an album of his songs, with Phish as the backing band. I eagerly bought it up, only to learn that the Dude was a very ordinary and mediocre songwriter and singer. I didn't keep it for long, and felt a bit like the Phish-oriented marketing of the album was kind of misleading.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 8:49:25 AM PST
Re: Thread title

Disco Duck- Rick Dees

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 9:05:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 9:10:45 AM PST
E. Dill says:
I've got a few and I can't remember how I bought them, chronologically.....

Hawkwind - Space Ritual. I may have even frisbeed it! I can't remember having anything against "space rock" at the time, but something sure got to me. Since then, I've collected dozens of Hawkwind albums and mostly like them alot. But I've FINALLY decided to get a copy of Space Ritual and see what happens. If it doesn't come soon, I'll check it out on youtube. It can't be THAT bad.

John/Yoko - Somewhere in NYC. Wow! I mean, the bad stuff was soooooo bad to me that the things good in the album (I hazily remember a few) didn't matter much. And I can't reven remember listening to the "jam".

The Roches - This was pure stupidity on my part. I scanned a review and it was quite positive and I went out and bought it. I seemed to "need" another "girl band" as I've always been attracted to the female voice in rock. Instead, I got the Roches. When you are expecting punkish rock and you get harmonizing folk, there can be a letdown. Happily, I didn't frisbee that one and learned to like it and the Roches as a group/family. I even gave them further props because one of them became Mrs. Loudon Wainwright for awhile....perhaps not the best thing to be as a woman but not bad as a musical partner and member of one dynamite extended family.

Michael Bloomfield - It's Not Killing Me. Bloomfield WAS a great guitarist and I always think back to his work on Butterfield's "East-West" among others. Unfortunately, his "It's Not Killing Me" suggests a retort like, "yeah, because you had earplugs on". Plainly put, Michael could NOT sing. I mean, he could not sing ON KEY. Even his great guitar work could not save this. I believe I frisbeed that one too and have no intention of getting a copy and trying to listen again. Then again, I just glanced at a record review, out of curiosity, and they gave it 3 stars (with East West only getting 4). Wow! I'd give "It's Not Killing Me" a 1 and ONLY if the track separation was such that you could hear the guitar on one track and muffle his vocals on the other.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:39:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 12:39:51 PM PST
bass boy says:
Son of Flinstone,

When did that Glen Campbell album come out? Was it in the late 1970s or early 1980s? In the early 1980s, Campbell was doing coke with Tanya Tucker.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 1:08:19 PM PST
S. Stalcup says:
U2: All That You Can't Leave Behind (For some reason, I thought the initial singles sounded like "First Four Albums" U2. Ended up giving it to a girl I liked. That was a waste, too.)
Violent Femmes: New Times and Freak Magnet (Listened to them both once. Still have them for completist reasons.)

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 1:23:58 PM PST
Music Lover says:
Aerosmith-Nine Lives-I know I should have seen it coming but even Get A Grip before it had a few redeemable moments

Robert Plant-Shaken And Stirred

Judas Priest-Turbo

I bought a Chuck Berry compilation CD once and it was all re-recorded versions of his big hits..awful

Queen-Hot Space-the first run through was very depressing. I eventually warmed up to Side 2 a bit

AC/DC-Fly On The Wall

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 2:48:59 PM PST
D. Mok says:
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles
Let It Be, The Replacements
Binaural, Pearl Jam
The Woods, Sleater-Kinney
Lennon Legend, John Lennon

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 3:36:55 PM PST
Music Lover, I remember that album. It was in the budget rack and I thought it was a great bargain till I got home and played it! It was on the pickwick label. Anything on pickwick was the bottom of barrel.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 4:11:54 PM PST
I think November, 1978. MAJOR bomb out for him. Killed his career. Even C&W radio held their nose on all his singles from then-on; each successive turkey slid further and further down the hit parade pole.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 4:48:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 6:10:52 PM PST
Grandpa Tom says:
This discussion moved my mind down memory lane. The few below may or may not be the first, however they are the most memorable. All on original vinyl purchased during their initial year of release. I still own them all except #1:

1-Grateful Dead Grateful Dead (Skull & Roses) and also every Grateful album I tried (3-4) except In The Dark, which I do like.

2-Steve Miller Band The Joker

3- Elton John

4-Three Dog Night Captured Live At The Forum

5-Bruce Springsteen Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.

GT

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:44:42 PM PST
Grandpa Tom says:
Johnny:

Per my post above, I also bought the skull and roses Grateful Dead album, except, where you became a fan, I unfortunately did not. Most likely, as you stated, I was expecting a more lively, faster tempo, and heavier sound with a dash more attitude. Exemplified by the only Dead album I do like, In The Dark (Throwing Stones, Tons of Steel deliver what I expected originally). Just my take.

All the best,
GT

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 4:04:47 AM PST
Working Man says:
There's a few I regretted buying at the time and didn't like much at all. I have since grown to accept their place now, though still don't to them too much.

"In City Dreams" - Robin Trower. Nothing like any previous albums. I should have known something was up since even the album cover was unlike any previousl Trower album covers.

"Too Old to Rock and Roll, Too Young to Die" - Jethro Tull. Aside from a couple of songs this album still does little for me. I hated it for years, though now I play it once in a while and it's not terrible, just not as good as the rest of Tull from that period.

"Never Say Die" - Black Sabbath. I didn't mind it too much but when you listen to the rest of Sabbath's albums up to that point (even some of Technical Ecstacy) NSD is
nothing like what I would have expected or wanted in a Sabbath with Ozzy album.

At the time I was greatly dissppointed in each of these albums and felt they were a waste of money at the time. However, I have come to accept them and their place with three of my favorite artists.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:09:53 AM PST
Johnny Bee says:
GT - horses for courses, mate!

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 12:39:50 PM PST
In a time when buying an LP was a major event for me, I sprung for Their Satanic Majesties Request by the Stones. I played with the lenticular cover more than I did the record. With the exceptions of She's A Rainbow and 2000 Light Years, From Home, even I could tell they were out of their element with this crap. It went back to the store. Now I can't imagine what it would go for on eBay.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 1:23:43 PM PST
I think that's one of the greatest psychedelic records of the 60s despite them being out of their element.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 2:41:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 2:44:15 PM PST
Steve Vrana says:
livright,

I've got to agree with you on the Stones album. Although, I also like "2000 Man." About two years after its initial release I bought a sealed cut-out copy for two or three dollars. The lenticular image was very cool...and if you look closely all four Beatles can be found in it. However, don't beat yourself up about taking it back to the store. Copies on eBay are going for $20 to $25.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 3:26:10 PM PST
To each his own. I should probably give it another listen now. As a 13-year old expecting Under My Thumb, Get Off My Cloud, etc. it was a surprise. That said, I do appreciate it when artists stretch their boundaries. I just didn't have the budget for it then!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 3:29:37 PM PST
Grandpa Tom says:
Indeed!

Merry Christmas, Johnny.....
GT

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 3:54:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 3:54:45 PM PST
tmoore says:
Two for me are:

All the Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes - Pete Townshend --- in 1982 I was doing a mass indoctrination into the Who's catalog, which was good timing as they were just breaking up for the first time then. I didn't like this album at all, as it was very unlike the Who -- which was probably Townshend's point, but I thought it stunk. I think "Slit Skirts" made it onto a later greatest hits.

Invisible Touch - Genesis -- I think this was the first album I ever bought on the day of release. I liked the title track, Anything She Does, and the Domino suite. Was very disappointed in the rest of it. I had liked the previous few Genesis albums with Collins (starting with 1980's Duke), but not this one (as a whole). After this album came out (June 1986), I went backwards in time to the Peter Gabriel and early Phil Collins Genesis (up to 1978's And Then There Were Three), and liked all of that.

========
I also have a 1980's era Sony CD player which played one CD. It was as large as my receiver (at that time). My college friends and I were pleased a few years later when the 5 CD player came out. With it we could do an entire study session and never have to touch the CD player for hours.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 8:41:06 AM PST
On a serious note, compared to my earlier response, The Clash's Cut the Crap is a haphazardly underdeveloped and very poor follow-up to the previous Combat Rock album and I owned this on cassette and tried to listen to it without bias or pre-conceived notions. But I couldn't get past the rudimentary terrace chants that followed every chorus on every track and the production is appalling.

Not that Kiss have ever been a serious contender for artistic merits and I admit they are a guilty pleasure of mine from time to time, but the Unmasked album was a big disappointment for me when I was young and I still think its their worst release in as far as their style is concerned.

Yes- Union. The idea of merging the two factions of the members of Yes at that time(ABWH and Rabin, Kaye, Squire and White) is looked upon as a corporate compromise for commercial potential gone awry. Its rumoured also that the finished product from both ends contains session players which "touched up" the final mixes of the songs presented. Lift Me Up is about the best track on here and that's being most generous. Horrible record.

So far, these are the main examples I can think of currently as subpar releases.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 4:53:43 PM PST
Led Zeppelin

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 5:48:37 PM PST
Steve Vrana says:
Ouch!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 8:30:05 AM PST
Working Man,

re: "Too Old to Rock and Roll, Too Young to Die" - Jethro Tull.

I'll second that one. Definitely an outlier in the 70s Tull catalog. I don't even like the hit.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  72
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions