Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Music forum

5 Favorite Songs Of The 1960's...No Beatles, Rolling Stones, Kinks, Or The Who, Pleeze

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Aug 3, 2011 9:40:07 AM PDT
Whiter Shade of Pale
Stand by Me
Save the Last Dance For Me
Funny by Ace Cannon
I Am I Said

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 9:50:18 AM PDT
Mary Stewart says:
Great choices. Still pretty easy to not overlap. Or am I...

Johnny Rivers- Summer Rain
Chicago Transit Authority- Beginnings
Classics Four-Traces
Paul Revere and the Raiders-Kicks
Wayne Fontana and the Mind Benders-The Game of Love

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 10:03:52 AM PDT
ED S. says:
"Different Drum"-Stone Ponys...who was that female singer that wore no shoes?
"The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)"-Harpers Bizarre...Simon & Garfunkle did it and they may have written it.
"The In Crowd"-Dobie Grey OR The Ramsey Lewis Trio (Instrumental)
"Walking My Cat Named Dog"-Norma Tenega...I still have the 45RPM
"Cant Seem To Make You Mine"-The Seeds...weird song with great guitar/keyboard solo.

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 11:40:38 AM PDT
Itchycoo Park: The Small Faces
To Sir With Love: Lulu
Dear Eloise: The Hollies
I Feel Free: Cream
Hush: Deep Purple

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 12:05:23 PM PDT
Ed S. - who was that female singer that wore no shoes?

The one that comes to mind is early/ mid-60s English singer Sandie Shaw. Don't think she had any chart success here so it may not be who you are thinking of.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 12:10:30 PM PDT
ED S. says:
The singer of the Stone Ponys wore no shoes...Linda Ronstadt.
Sandi Shaw had a big hit here in the Los Angeles area called "Girl don't Come".

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 12:22:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2011 12:30:49 PM PDT
ImEzekiel65 says:
"Spoonful" - Cream
"Lonely (Amy's Theme)" - The Lovin' Spoonful
"Undun" - The Guess Who
"More Today Than Yesterday" - Spiral Starecase
"Caroline, No" - The Beach Boys

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 12:26:34 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 27, 2012 3:27:46 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 12:36:09 PM PDT
ImEzekiel65 says:
Here's a few more:

"Girl Talk" - Tony Bennett (with Neil Hefti & his orchestra)
"Solitary Man" - Neil Diamond
"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
"It Might As Well Be Spring" - Henry Mancini
"Superlungs" - Terry Reid

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 12:41:49 PM PDT
Ed S.

Yes, Paul Simon wrote The 59th Street Bridge Song, and also Red Rubber Ball, a hit for the Cyrcle.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 12:46:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2011 12:47:25 PM PDT
ED S. says:
spottymuldoon and all...
After I posted to your post, I realized that I remember hearing "(There's) Always Something There To Remind Me" done by Sandie Shaw on the radio. So I went to her albums here on Amazon and yes she had that playing on the radio too. They are both really great songs and I am glad you reminded me of her. I am sampling her greatest hits package and I am liking what I hear. I think I am going to have a Sandie Shaw album soon.
I might add that not all radio market regions in the United States played the same songs. So my posts are relating to the stations I heard in the Los Angeles area, KRLA, KHJ, and KFWB.
Another big song here was "Whittier Boulevard" by the Midnighters. I have lived in Whittier all but the first five years of life and I kinda think that was a regional hit. Whittier Boulevard was taken over on Friday and Saturday Nights by teen cruisers by the hundreds...bumper to bumper traffic of guys yelling at girls and everybody trying to hook up. I was one of them and had a great time meeting girls and racing other cars with the radio cranked waaaaaaaaayyyyy up with my buddy Mike. I met my first steady gal on Whittier Boulevard and Mike met his wife one cruising night at Knotts Berry Farm Amusement park.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 12:55:45 PM PDT
ED S. says:
My spelling sucks too Rand. That's Cyrkle. They also had another song that got airplay..."Turn Down Day".......

......."and I dig it"

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 1:00:40 PM PDT
ED -

I didn't mention Linda as I assumed you knew she was the singer. I know both the S. Shaw songs you've mentioned, didn't realize they were hits of any kind here. The only song I have of hers now is the rather bizarre cover she does of Sympathy For The Devil on a record titled Covers Of A Rolling Stone.

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 1:11:52 PM PDT
Spiaggialago says:
The Magic Touch (Bobby Fuller Four)
Devil With The Blue Dress (MItch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels)
Good Lovin' (The Young Rascals)
Sometimes Good Guys Don't Wear White (The Standells)
Don't Bring Me Down (The Animals)

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 1:33:25 PM PDT
Dean Wallace says:
Well the beatles and stones are great bands but there is one from the 60,s that smokes em all CCR.
Good golly miss molly-ccr
before you accuse me -ccr
call it pretending-ccr
working man-ccr
journey to the center of your mind-amboy dukes aka cousin TED yeah!

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 2:13:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2011 2:14:34 PM PDT
ED S. says:
"We'll Sing In The Sunshine"-Gale Garnett...Big hit...."I'll stay with you one year"
"Dirty Water"-The Standells..."Yeah, down by the River, down by the banks of the river Charles"...great vocal entry for a pop song
"The Letter"- The Box Tops..."Gimme a ticket for an aero-plane, Ain't got time to take a fast train"
"The Happy Organ"-Dave "Baby" Cortez...Instrumental. No one is going to name a song like this today!
"San Francisco(Be Sure To Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair)"-Scott McKenzie..."Your gonna meet some gentle people there"

Spoken entry to "Dirty Water"...
"I'm gonna tell you a story
I'm gonna tell you about my town
I'm gonna tell you a big bad story, baby
Aww, it's all about my town"

Let's hear it for Boston, Mass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 2:42:22 PM PDT
Ed

That's what I get when I type from memory. And I've become too accustomed to this fancy computer to check my spelling. Of course, no computer spell check system would have any idea of The Cyrkle!

I was wondering too, I saw you mention something about the live Monkees tv special on the Monkees favorite songs thread. There is a cd of that concert, and a 2 cd set of three concerts from that tour. They weren't very impressive in concert but it sounds like that didn't bother the thousands of screaming teenage a bit!

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 2:58:51 PM PDT
Eighteen-Alice Cooper
Secret Agent Man-Johnny Rivers
Riders on the Storm-Doors
Happy Together-Turles
13th Floor Elevators-Youre Going to Miss Me
PS.All Frank Zappa, LOL!

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 4:04:48 PM PDT
ED S. says:
"Bad To Me"-Billy J Kramer & The Dakotas..."The birds in the sky would be sad and lonely"
"Do The Freddie"-Freddie And The Dreamers..."Hear the happy feet dancing to the beat of the Freddie"
"Do Wah Diddy Diddy"-Manfred Mann..."There she was just a walkin' next to me"
"Mas Que Nada"-Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66"...I can't speak Portugese, I think that's the language.
"Working In A Coal Mine"-Lee Dorsey..."Five o'clock in the morning, I'm already up and gone"

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 4:19:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2011 4:33:55 PM PDT
Autumn M. says:
"Psychotic Reaction" The Count Five
"Pictures of Matchstick Men" Status Quo
"Out of Focus" Blue Cheer
"See Emily Play" Pink Floyd
"Wear Your Love Like Heaven" Donovan

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 4:43:09 PM PDT
ED S. says:
spottymuldoon...you are too good to me. I have been playing the Amazon Samples Of Sandie Shaw from her re-mastered "The Very Best Of Sandie Shaw" for the past couple of hours and looked a 11 pages of Sandie Shaw records on ebay, almost all of it for sale in Europe or South America. Not much British stuff so she must have a cult following. I binged "pictures of Sandie Shaw" and WOW. She was stunning. In the 1980's, she covered the Smiths "Hand In Glove" with The Smiths as the backing band. Morrissy is a fan. And yeah...no shoes!
I genuinly like her. She was the first British singer to win the Eurovision Award, 1967. She was big in France and did an album in French.

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 5:12:01 PM PDT
Worst That Could Happen - Johnny Maestro & The Brooklyn Bridge
White Rabbit- Great Society version
Build Me Up Buttercup - The Foundations
Knights in White Satin - Moody Blues
White Bird - It's A Beautiful Day

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 5:15:33 PM PDT
ED S. says:
"Worst That Could Happen"...Forgot about that one. Most excellent. The down beat 'Wedding March' at the end of the song is great.

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 5:22:40 PM PDT
Sunshine of Your Love---Cream
House of the Rising Sun--The Animals
Eli's Coming--Three Dog Night
Undun--The Guess Who
In My Room--The Beach Boys

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 6:01:01 PM PDT
Re: Sandie Shaw

I still have my 45 of There's Always Something There To Remind Me by Sandie Shaw that I bought in the mid-60's.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Ranking the Billboard #1 Albums of 1970 12 11 seconds ago
Albums from the past few years that really hold up (so far) 25 1 minute ago
New News Thread.... 59 4 minutes ago
Gorgeous songs that transport 13 6 minutes ago
More fascinating threads. It's amazing this place (forum) is still open. How about we.... 1770 9 minutes ago
Leslie West 14 10 minutes ago
Janet Fisher And Rance Pinao Represent Hawaii Island On National Parks CD 1 13 minutes ago
Stevie Winwood was big in my high school years (any favorite albums or songs) 45 40 minutes ago
The Blue Oyster Cult Discography Thread 351 41 minutes ago
Song Game - Part IV 941 48 minutes ago
what groups or artists satisy you with pretty much a greatest hits collection 28 59 minutes ago
Musical Diary 4006 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  219
Total posts:  1309
Initial post:  Jul 31, 2011
Latest post:  14 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions