4-month subscription Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 New Professional Skin Care Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon pbskids pbskids pbskids  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Elvis Presley Shop Cycling on Amazon
Customer Discussions > Music forum

"Elvis and the Beatles stole from black music."

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 568 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 5, 2011 3:09:18 PM PDT
Ike and Tina Turner - Proud Mary
The Persuasions did a cd of Dead covers and another of Zappa covers
The Neville Brothers - Richard Thompson's 'Dimming of the Day'
Taj Mahal - Honky Tonk Women
Charlie Pride - just about every song
Ray Charles - lots of country songs
Rhiannon Giddens - the Anglo-American ballad 'Lady Margaret' on a Carolina Chocolate Drops. Also does Burns 'Ae Fond Kiss' with different musicians.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 3:14:28 PM PDT
Donny Hathaway Live includes a cover of the Beatles Yesterday. I love this version he was such a talented person and gifted musician.

His Live album also has the best version I have heard of What's Goin' On it's a cover of Marvin Gaye's song and Hathaway's version is better in my opinion. He also did a wonderful cover of Stevie Wonder's Superwoman(Where Were You When I Needed You) on Live.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 3:31:40 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Nice list!

I know who the Persuasions are. Never knew they did Zaapa and Dead cover

I'll have to check those out.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 3:36:15 PM PDT
Hinch says:
I love Hathaway's version of "I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know" written by Al Kooper(BS&T).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 3:52:15 PM PDT

Love to hear that. Would also like the original (not the live).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 4:06:31 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Yeah! I realized it was a live version after I posted it.
lol! Apparently the original is not available on Youtube.
I still have the original 45rpm.

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 4:28:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2011 4:30:15 PM PDT
J. Hand says:
Frankly a Cappella: The Persuasions Sing Zappa

here's the Persuasions doing Zappa disc.

I saw they also do Dylan and the Beatles.

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 4:54:16 PM PDT
Oh please, don't you have anything better to do?

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 12:52:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2011 12:53:18 AM PDT
J. Hand says:
@ Magnus - i can't disagree with you but i think taken as a whole black Blues artists got taken more routinely and regularly than White artists. if a White one thought something stunk a lawyer was always available and the system of justice would work for them. the same cannot be said for people of color. Read Brown Eyed Handsome Man: The Life and Hard Times of Chuck Berry . I originally read it to learn about the bad blood between Keith Richards and him but it proved to be a great read and what life was like in that era for a Black muscian.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 1:22:17 AM PDT
Well, all music "steals" from previous music - the great classical composers "stole" melodies from various European national music. But, Elvis and the Beatles did get some of their success from the fact that they were white people who were doing music that came from the African-American culture. Zeppelin and the Stones, Adele, Eminem, Amy Winehouse - there's a pretty continuous tradition of white people being hugely successful with "black" music. Is it societal racism, where they value the black music but won't accept it from actual black people. Is it the fact that the music coming from white people makes the larger white population relate to it more, and thus more commercial success? Or is there something about people being attracted to and adding something to music from a different tradition? (Progressive rockers in the 70s and folk metallers of recent times have done some very exciting things mixing various types of white people's music. At least in the case of the proggers, they were pretty commercially successful doing it, too.).

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 1:35:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2011 1:36:08 AM PDT
Hinch says:
Supposedly today we're all equal, so black and white really doesn't(shouldn't) matter.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 1:26:56 AM PST
I think it was either Iggy Stravinsky or Lou Costello that said:
"Mediocre composers borrow - great composers steal."

But then, I read BOTH o' these guys were S.O.B's, so go figger.

Bottom line: Everything comes from somewhere...Elvis and the Beatles gave credit where it was due (where they learned it from) just like Chuck Berry acknowledged that the big-band swing of Artie Shaw influenced him. B.B. King, himself a noteworthy blues performer, was BOOED OFF THE STAGE when he opened for Jackie Wilson (mostly black crowd) in the 1960s, but when he played for the (mostly white) crowds at the Fillmore, he was treated like a prince/conquering hero/God. Music is music. Get over it.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 3:11:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2011 3:15:45 AM PST
J. Hand says:
@ FH - i always found it interesting because i'm a biker and look like a stereotypical biker that people, when meeting me, will talk to me with the assumption i hold certain views on race, gender, politics, etc. they are 100% wrong 90% of the time but i let them go on because it is revealing and helps me see into their character and in a larger sense, what views are still out there. i do know this- racism is a looooong way from dead in the US! in fact, i got so tired of hearing racial jokes at my last job i would stop someone telling me a racial joke with, "Before you go too far, my mom is Black." reactions were priceless! most do a fairly good impression of a fish on land, mouth opening and closing with no sounds coming out. it really did stop people from saying racist things in my presence. i doubt it changed their hearts but if they shut up around me it at least means they realized something was wrong with what they were saying.

i also do a bit of online PC gaming. one game in particular is rife with racial slurs. in another driving sim i play my character is Black. i have had everything happen from other players leave a store en masse after i walk in. players can be invited to events sight unseen. i have spawned at parties and other events and theother vanish as soon as they see me. one day in the same game i was parked in my 57 Corvette with the top down so i was in plain sight. i saw another player approach me in his car. user names appear over their cars. he had three ks at the end of his name. immediately after seeing him a text message popped up from him. it said "Take this N_____! HAR HAR HAR!" and he began to smash into me repeatedly. I was backed into a drive on a narrow street so i couldn't get away without going into a map mode and transporting to another location. it happened at least a half dozen times where it was obviously racial even though it's an animated character. i have been asked if i was Black in real life and when i say no i am typically asked if i am a 'N____ lover'.

i like to tell the haters that if i compiled a list of people who did me wrong it would be dominated by White people. and it sure isn't skewed that way because i was never around Blacks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 3:53:27 AM PST
Hinch says:
>racism is a looooong way from dead in the US<

I know that to be true. It's more hidden now, but it's usually easy to see.

>if i compiled a list of people who did me wrong it would be dominated by White people<

I agree, and I have had quite a few black friends and associates all my life.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 6:50:31 AM PST
D. Mok says:
> What I ment is that the black artists never got the same space, attention and
> recognition as the white artists in school or radio.

Debatable. If this were the '30s to the '50s, that might be true. But in the '60s, Motown was beginning a dominant chart run, the second biggest group in the U.S. was The Supremes, the most important instrumentalist was Jimi Hendrix, white people were flocking to see James Brown, and by the end of the decade, The Jackson 5 stormed the music industry.

I think the very view that the '60s were just a "white music" decade is racially skewed. That view skews music history towards white trends (folk, folk rock) while ignoring the fact that even psychedelia had major influence and participation by music and musicians of colour (Hendrix, Arthur Lee, Santana, Sly and The Family Stone, The Fifth Dimension, George Clinton). Not to mention the rise of R&B, funk, soul and continued development of jazz.

Audiences were never quite as racially selective as the establishment wanted them to be.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 10:47:15 AM PST
Hinch says:
D Mok

Good post. It's true many early blues artists were not paid royalties by the record companies, but
Motown is one of the labels that stood strong during the 60s alongside The Beatles and The British Invasion. Many white artists who had been popular, Elvis to name one, were kicked aside. Even non Motown artists such as Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett, James Brown, Sam and Dave and Otis Redding were strong during those years. The 60s was full of great r&b/soul music.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 12:12:27 PM PST
Human beans su*k -- I think it was Redd Foxx that said, "If there was BLUE people on Earth, SOME-body would hate 'em."

Racism/bigotry/stinky-head-ism isn't a white thing, nor an American thing, it's a "peeple" thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 12:16:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2011 12:34:41 PM PST
@J. Hand
So you 2nd life?

I joined just to attend a genealogy group and chose a black avatar. Wondering if that was smart now.

In real life I am black but I suspect that there was some race mixing going on in the past because a lot of people I meet in the suburbs assume I am Mexican or Puerto Rican. When I work at my employers satellite office in the suburbs I get lot of nasty comments about going back to Mexico or where I came from.

The scary thing is when it first happened it took me a minute to catch on because in the city every one assumes I am black so while I felt repulsed it took me a while to catch on that the person was trying to insult me.

Go figure.

If you go back to the Wild Ones bikers were portrayed as stylish bad boys and now on TV shows like the Law and Order franchise they are always portrayed as violent gangs, racist, murders, drug dealers or rapists. I can just imagine what people assume with that awful stereotype out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 1:20:28 PM PST
Hinch says:
Very true!!

I always say if everyone was the same skin color, some would find another reason to hate, such as eye or hair color.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 1:27:04 PM PST
Hinch says:
"Elvis and the Beatles stole from black music."

They most likely brought attention to music some people may have ignored. Smokey Robinson said The Beatles' cover of "You Really Got A Hold On Me" gave his early career a boost. I always thought covering a song showed respect to the writer, as well as $$$ in royalties.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 5:05:39 PM PST
Avalon Don says:
Stole from Blacks? It seems to me when artists do covers they are in theory stealing period. A better way of seeing it is exposing music if you missed it the first time around. The Rolling Stones introduced to America music we already had. After we heard them doing "Queen Bee" didn't many of us want to know who really did the song first? Later many artists from the USA were able to go across the Atlantic and perform there. If this conversation is about record company's ripping off poor people that's another story. If somebody is exposing another artist that's free publicity. The songwriters are supposed to get royalties. Did Eric Clapton rip off Bob Marley? Before Eric that music would have only gone over on a ship cruise. Did Elvis take Hawaii to the cleaners for doing Blue Hawaii? Since when is exposing music and areas ripping off anybody?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 5:17:13 PM PST
dallas says:
You are so right good post.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 6:07:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2011 6:08:11 PM PST
Chen Kai Wen says:
Not stole, borrowed.

I do think white folk benefit naturally from numbers, especially in the media. That's why the talking heads doing some documentary on music of the 90's for example, are going to go very very skewed into Seattle. Kurt this and grunge that, they will say with exclamation points, and Soundgarden and Pearl Jam and so forth. I heard that music at the time, but it meant nothing to me. to me, the 90's music was hip-hop, including the two greatest rappers of all time's entire careers and deaths. But I won't hear THAT history unless I go over to BET.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 7:11:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2011 7:13:32 PM PST
The Beatles stole off everybody. Didn't they have the quote that all you need is a good record collection to write music. They did execute a bit better than most and were persistent.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 8:04:55 PM PST
SandmanVI says:
Can we just say they all stole from Mozart and be done with it? Who the F cares? This kind of conversation is just for people who want either to pat themselves on the back for how smart they think they are or instigate unnecessary racial BS.
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 23 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  162
Total posts:  568
Initial post:  Aug 17, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 19, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers