Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Halloween Amazon Cash Back Offer shameless7 shameless7 shameless7  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Emmys GNO Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Does anyone play full albums anymore?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 224 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 9, 2012 6:09:47 PM PST
Steve Vrana says:
GTYE,

I would never purchase anything else but a "complete" album. It was true when I purchased MEET THE BEATLES in 1964; it was still true when I purchased Dwight Yoakam's 3 PEARS last month. To download only one song is like reading only one chapter out of a novel. Unfortunately, fewer and fewer people share my philosophy. Technology may very well be the death of the album as we know it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 6:40:24 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "An album is a collection"

Like the classic definition of a family album, yes, I know, but I've never heard it applied to a CD. If someone tells you they like albums because of the cover art do you ever think they're talking about a CD? I think not.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 6:43:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2012 6:52:25 PM PST
stevign says:
That's an interesting point. I may say I'm listening to an album when in reality it's a CD, but only "if" it was an album 1st. I would never refer to a CD as an album if it was never one in the 1st place though. Make sense?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 6:51:14 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "They're all RECORDS (ie, recordings)"

You're technically right but it's still a rather useless point wouldn't you say? If someone says they're bringing over a record for you to check out, what do you think the odds are that they're bringing over the tape of their phone messages? ;~)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 6:58:42 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 15, 2016 3:33:17 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 7:00:12 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 7:01:09 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 7:13:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2012 7:19:00 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "download only one song is like reading only one chapter out of a novel."

Sorry Steve but I think your metaphor is flawed. Unless an album or CD has a theme running through it, the songs don't necessarily relate to each other. There are boat loads of albums and CDs out there like that, they may represent the band's style at that particular point in time but that's about all.

I'm sure you yourself have heard albums from every era where one or two of the songs on an album were just plain dogs, and if you were to delete them from the album, it would be no worse off whatsoever. For example, I like "some" of Dwight Yoakam's stuff, but I have to do some serious cherry-picking from 4 or 5 CDs to make a really good, full CD compilation.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 7:18:34 PM PST
stevign says:
Trust me, it does, especially to those of us who were buying albums long before there were CDs.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 7:21:53 PM PST
MyRidesHere says:
A great many professional musicians do call there whole finished product an album to this day.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 7:23:37 PM PST
MyRidesHere says:
Right on!
I've never heard of a concept cd.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 7:36:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2012 8:31:39 PM PST
stevign says:
Probably a carryover from the days before CDs came along I would think.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 7:39:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2012 7:40:34 PM PST
Right here on Amazon's Music page, which lists these Music Forum Discussions, scroll up above the Forum about mid-page under "Featured in the Music Store" under the category "Best of 2012" and you'll see links to "Best Albums", "Bestselling Albums" and even "MP3 Albums" which, of course, aren't even CDs!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 7:50:12 PM PST
stevign says:
So what are you saying, you don't see any difference between an album and a CD at all? I guess my previous examples are falling on deaf ears because when I say I have 300 albums and 3400 CDs, I expect people to know the difference. Perhaps I'm expecting too much?

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 7:54:00 PM PST
Jenni says:
I still listen to C.D.'s and vinyl records in full on a daily basis. I have an M.P.3 player for the car which is on random and that's okay, more like radio without the ads. I would never ever buy an ipod, and dislike itunes immensely, and I buy all my music so I have a hard copy of everything.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 7:58:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2012 7:59:24 PM PST
Dee Zee says:
Im guessing here butmethinks ALBUM goes back to the 78 records and when they would have 3 or 4 78s in an album format. And the album carried over to 331/3 records, an album of songs versus a single. I still call CDs albums.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 8:13:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2012 8:33:30 PM PST
steign,

Not at all. Of course I think most people would understand what you mean, although it might be *Technically* more correct to say "I have 300 vinyl albums and 3400 CDs". But just the fact that you're making a distinction at all is sufficient for most people to understand what you're saying.

As I'm sure you know, language is always in a state of flux and meanings morph and evolve as necessary, especially when it comes to technology. I'm sure that's what's happening in this case.

I'll admit the idea of an "MP3 album" is more than a little strange sounding to me too! Especially since it's not even physical!!

But I was only pointing out that it IS the terminology currently being used by the world's largest music supplier, whether you or I or anyone else happens to agree with it or not.

But speaking as someone who also has about "300 albums and 3400 CDs" (many duplicated in both formats) I don't have any particular problem referring to "Tempest" as "Dylan's new album", regardless of the format.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 8:29:20 PM PST
Well this conversation has taken an unexpected turn. What is an album? These days to make the distinction I use the term 'vinyl' or CD but to me, they are both albums.

I don't recall telling people I got the new cassette of so and so back in the day, just that I got the new album.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 8:31:00 PM PST
stevign says:
Cyberian Husky:

re: "As I'm sure you know, language is always in a state of flux and meanings morph and evolve as necessary, especially when it comes to technology. I'm sure that's what's happening in this case."

I do too.

re: "I'll admit the idea of an "MP3 album" is more than a little strange sounding to me too!"

lolol...They actually call something an MP3 "album"? Wow, I guess the doctors were right when they said I'm getting old, I just assumed they were lying.

re: "(many duplicated in both formats) "

Sounds like me.

re: "I don't have any particular problem referring to "Tempest" as "Dylan's new album", regardless of the format."

I sometimes do that too but nowadays I "try" and remember to say new "CD" instead of album. Like I said, it's a carryover from the past.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 8:34:01 PM PST
stevign says:
Hi Jenni, welcome. They really have CDs and M.P.3 player in Australia? ;~)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 8:36:25 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "Well this conversation has taken an unexpected turn"

But an interesting and informative one don't ya think? ;~)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 8:43:35 PM PST
Yes! I originally thought I knew what I meant when I first started this thread and now I'm not so sure. : /

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 8:47:15 PM PST
Hinch says:
When an artist releases an album now, it's a cd. Of course some still release vinyl albums as well as cds.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 8:48:53 PM PST
stevign,

Re: "They actually call something an MP3 "album"? Wow, I guess the doctors were right when they said I'm getting old, I just assumed they were lying."

Yeah. As Mick said long ago.."What a drag it is getting old"!

The whole idea of "MP3 Albums" being stored in "The Cloud" etc. has always reminded me of Steven Wright's classic line:

"I've been doing a lot of abstract painting lately ... Extremely Abstract!
No Brush. No Paint, No Canvas.
I just think about it."

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 8:50:13 PM PST
Let us not confuse the term album with format. An album can come in any number of formats.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  68
Total posts:  224
Initial post:  Dec 3, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers