Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Calling all Kinks

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011, 10:11:28 AM PDT
MiBoDoCa says:
You're learning!!!

Posted on May 28, 2011, 10:11:54 AM PDT
MiBoDoCa says:
Track Details For The Next 3 Deluxe Editions:

http://eyeplug.net/magazine/?p=1909

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011, 10:34:03 AM PDT
MiBoDoCa says:
In all seriousness while I agree that there is something to be said for leaving Rubber Soul and on up alone, there is no reason why the first batch of CDs couldn't have had bonus material!

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011, 10:50:12 AM PDT
M.R. says:
You go spit!

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011, 11:15:45 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 28, 2011, 11:16:13 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011, 1:26:09 PM PDT
Dee Zee says:
I met Ray Davies in a Greek restaurant. Long story.

Posted on May 28, 2011, 2:06:56 PM PDT
There are still 3 songs from The Great Lost Kinks Album that were on none of the Castle 1990s reissues and are not planned for the current Deluxe Editions: Till Death Do Us Part, Pictures in the Sand and When I Turn off the Living Room Light.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011, 2:21:07 PM PDT
MiBoDoCa says:
I haven't figured that out yet either. Luckily I have them on a couple of boots but would love them on a legit release especially When I Turn off the Living Room Light. I love that song!

Posted on May 29, 2011, 2:36:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2011, 2:50:31 AM PDT
Bernard J. says:
When I Turn Off the Living Room Light , is on the BBC album.
As far as I know, Davies refuses to allow Pictures in the Sand to be legally released. But I don't know why.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2011, 3:29:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2011, 3:30:02 AM PDT
Dee Zee - sure it wasn't in a club down in Old Soho? :-)

Posted on May 29, 2011, 4:09:28 AM PDT
Hinch says:
What would it be like if Dave and Ray got together with Paul and Ringo?
Would they call themselves The Kinkeatles, The Beatinks or Something Else?

Would it work?

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2011, 7:05:02 AM PDT
Interesting idea, but I believe I read somewhere that Dave's health is such that he can no longer play guitar.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2011, 12:52:34 PM PDT
Hinch says:
I was sorta being funny, but it was an interesting thought that came to me.

Sad to hear about Dave. He's an under rated player.

I was watching the R&R Hall of Fame performance of Metallica with Ray singing "You Really Got Me". He still looks in great shape. He was jumpin around, but his voice didn't sound so good. Maybe it was a bad night.

I wish they could reunite and record another album, or a live dvd.

Posted on May 29, 2011, 12:57:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2011, 1:00:05 PM PDT
Did some checking and it turns out Dave Davies had a stroke in 2004 which for a long time left him debilitated including being unable to play guitar, but he has gotten better lately and has even considered touring on occasion but did not due to "doctor's orders." He is also quoted in November 2010 as saying the Kinks would never re-unite because "Ray's an ***hole."

Paul and Ringo could join with Pete and Roger and call themselves The Whootles.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2011, 1:19:41 PM PDT
MiBoDoCa says:
Old news! The brothers are talking again and they both appear to want a Kinks reunion.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2011, 1:19:45 PM PDT
Hinch says:
I heard about Dave's stroke, and was thinking he had recovered.

I do think Ray is the one holding back the reunion.

Posted on May 29, 2011, 1:54:52 PM PDT
ac says:
This is GREAT!! Re Release of THE KINKS!!! to think the majoity of kinks cds were hard to find back in the day..now..years later-people are starting to hear how GREAT THE KINKS ARE WERE AND WILL ALWAYS BE!!!! I think the prices are worth it..2 disc sets and a nice packaging with photos and excerts from the band itself. AMAZING!! KONTROVERSY done over with 2 disc set!!! Awesome!!!! cheers

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2011, 2:59:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2011, 3:01:24 PM PDT
Except the 2 discs of Kontroversy Deluxe are short enough to fit onto one disc! The 2 discs of Kinda Kinks add up to approximately 81 minutes.

Posted on May 30, 2011, 10:33:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 30, 2011, 12:15:08 PM PDT
tmoore says:
"When I Turn Off the Living Room Light" was legitimately released on the Warner Brothers Loss Leaders compilation album "The Big Ball" in 1970. This was a double album with songs from many Warner Brothers/Reprise acts (see below). I have seen several copies of it in used record stores in the Washington DC area, so it can be found.

As mentioned above, "When I Turn Off the Living Room Light" also saw legitimate release on Reprise on the Great Lost Kinks Album in 1973. But it was apparantly released without Ray Davies's approval - he objected - and album was out of print by 1975. That's why that album is hard to find. This is not news to many of you, but it sounds like it may be to some.

Interesting tidbit - song was listed as "When I Turn Out the Living Room Light" on The Big Ball compilation.

The late '60s Dave Davies tracks I am still looking for are "Do You Wish To Be a Man", "Are You Ready" and "Crying". I got these song titles from a Kinks recordings guide I bought at an HMV store in London (on my honeymoon) in 2003. Book is by Johnny Rogan, Omnibus Press, 1998, ISBN 0.7119.6314.2 ---- (yes, those are "dots" in the ISBN number, no misprint). But......I've never seen those song titles mentioned in any other book (I live near Washington DC -- don't know if it's an England/US thing -- I know that some tracks were originally released in England and not here, but have been released since then). EDIT - The three tracks I mentioned are not on these reissues either, and I honestly don't know if they have ever been released anywhere (legitimately or not). They are mentioned (in said 1998 book) only as existing on a late '60s acetate.

I'll have to check out those new Kinks reissue track listings in the website posted above. Thanks so much to the person who posted that! EDIT - Done that now, see previous paragraph.

I saw Dave Davies give a show at the State Theatre in Falls Church, VA shortly before his stroke. I was less than 10 feet from him while he played. I believe that was the last time he played there.

Back to "The Big Ball". In my opinion, "The Big Ball" is the best of all the Warner Brothers Loss Leaders compilations. It contains all of the following (including the aforementioned Kinks track) -- these are just the tracks that I know well -- "This Whole World" by The Beach Boys; "Coming Into Los Angeles" by Arlo Guthrie; "Caravan" by Van Morrison; "Oh Well" by Fleetwood Mac (the full 9 minute version); "Sally Go Round the Roses" by the Pentagle; "Nothing Is Easy" by Jethro Tull"; "I'm On My Way Home Again" by the Everly Brothers; "Big Yellow Taxi" by Joni Mitchell; "The Loner" by Neil Young; "Mama Told Me Not to Come" by Randy Newman; "Fire and Rain" by James Taylor, and "Turn on Your Lovelight" by the Grateful Dead. Also has tracks by John Sebastian, Geoff and Maria Muldaur, Small Faces, Family, Tim Buckley, Dion, Captain Beefheart, and the Mothers of Invention. Well worth the effort to find, if you are so inclined. I originally bought it just to have the first release of the Kinks track, but as mentioned there is a lot of other worthwhile stuff on it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2011, 1:06:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 30, 2011, 1:09:08 PM PDT
Bernard J. says:
"Crying" by Dave Davies is a really good track, worthy of release.
My only copy of it doesn't have a very good sound quality, though.

When it comes to reunions, who would be in the line up?
Pete Quaife dead, Dave and Mick Avory won't be likely to ever work with each other again, maybe Jim Rodford on bass?

Posted on May 30, 2011, 5:47:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 30, 2011, 5:53:02 PM PDT
tmoore says:
Another addition to my earlier post, which was already quite long to begin with, so I'm posting it separately.

I notice that the Arthur release has the tracks Hold My Hand, Lincoln County, and Creeping Jean. If these are the 1968-69 Dave Davies recordings of those songs (which were three sides of two singles in England -- the fourth side was There Is No Life Without Love) --- to my knowledge those three songs have never been released in America in that form. The late '90s Dave Davies retrospective called "Kinked" has rerecordings of these songs, and the liner notes said something that the originals were legally blocked from being released in the States (or something to that effect). So I'm wondering if that "Arthur" rerelease track list is the track list that we'll see in America.

I happened to get these tracks on a 1968-70 Kinks compilation (the compilation was an English release) that I bought when I was in London in 2003. These three tracks were new to me then. I think Lincoln County is the best of the bunch. Creeping Jean is also good. I'm not crazy about Hold My Hand, it's a little mournful. Dave Davies played Lincoln County and Creeping Jean when I twice saw him live in the early 2000s, before his stroke.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2011, 6:03:27 PM PDT
Lincoln County and There Is No Life Without Love were on the Castle 1990s release of Something Else. Creeping Jean is on the Deluxe Edition of Village Green. Hold My Hand has never been released on CD before to my knowledge,

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2011, 6:09:02 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Jim Rodford played bass with The Animals II for several years in the 90s and early 2000's.
Original members, Hilton Valentine and John Steel were also in the band, along with Dave Rowberry, who passed away several years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2011, 1:21:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 31, 2011, 1:31:36 AM PDT
Bernard J. says:
Hold My Hand was released on an album released in the late 80's on an album called :
"The Album That Never Was". I bought the tape and CD of this album.

The tape featured 10 Dave Davies tracks he wrote for the Kinks, and some of his single tracks, Hold My Hand among them.
The CD reissue also has 8 bonus tracks, this came out in 1994. I have this CD.

(The album was issued again in 2002 with more bonus tracks added, making it a 22 track album, Japanese pressing.)

Posted on May 31, 2011, 6:13:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 31, 2011, 6:21:55 AM PDT
tmoore says:
I have both the Castle Something Else and the deluxe Village Green CD (which is not Castle). Thanks for correcting me on that (re: Lincoln County and Creeping Jean).

Several years ago, I created a CD of the first "The Album That Never Was" on my own -- I had a list with 10 tracks that I saw in same book I mention above --- but was not aware of CDs with bonus tracks until now.
I did just go look at the 22-track version -- the other 12 Dave Davies tracks are drawn from the 1964-70 Kinks catalog or are bonus tracks from the Castle Arthur. Nothing new there.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What are you listening right now? 4476 7 hours ago
Song Game - Part V 9982 8 hours ago
mesical reality artists TV and what became of them after 17 8 hours ago
Large CD collections 405 8 hours ago
Musical Diary 8651 8 hours ago
Those magnificent drums!! 168 8 hours ago
Why is Bob Marley so popular nowadays? 87 8 hours ago
** In The Time of Our Lives ** 567 8 hours ago
Montrose Remastered And Expanded 21 9 hours ago
best trippy psychedelic bands from 1966-68 552 10 hours ago
Alphabetical Song Game 1 4103 10 hours ago
The Cult - Hidden City 0 10 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  1855
Initial post:  May 26, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers