Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Who are your favorite Saxaphone players?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 124 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 8, 2013 3:37:04 AM PDT
The Wizard says:
1. John Coltrane
2. Paul Desmond
3. Johnny Hodges

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 5:08:22 PM PDT
stevign says:
I take the time to torment my guitar. It needs it, it wants it, it likes it, it's so......masochistic. At night when everything is real quite and if I listen real closely, I can hear it whispering "Stop it Stevign, stop it some more".

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 2:22:57 PM PDT
onsenkuma says:
Saw a sweet glossy white Les Paul with gold pick-ups for, like 700 or 800 in a pawn shop window on State or Clark street in Chicago back in '86. Very nearly gave in to the temptation though it was a LOT of money to me at the time. Still, it would have been a nice way to get back into it. These days it feels like I don't have enough time to listen to somebody ELSE play let alone torment a guitar myself. More time...now THAT'S what I wanna see in a pawn shop window...

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 2:00:05 PM PDT
stevign says:
I've never been all the great on guitar but I really dig fooling around with new chords, fingerpicking, singing a song or two, and in general just listening to how great the guitar sounds.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 1:50:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2013 1:50:32 PM PDT
onsenkuma says:
Stevign,
When I was 14 one of the school multi-talented brainiacs taught me basic guitar chords and rhythm and I picked it up fast. A bunch of us would sit around and mangle paint-by-numbers classics by CCR and the like. Thing is, I plateaued even faster, stopped making progress and just got bored with it all. I figured if I couldn't be a Clapton or a Winter or even a Fogerty (not even in our wildest dreams would any of us dare dream of someday being in the same musical galaxy as Hendrix, let alone same league)... Man, what a dumb attitude I had!

Posted on May 24, 2013 1:18:33 PM PDT
Steelers fan says:
No one''s mentioned Georgie Auld on tenor.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 1:17:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2013 1:18:09 PM PDT
stevign says:
Talented guys like that make me sick.......ok, they make me throw myself down on the bed, kicking my legs around and crying like a little girl.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 1:03:04 PM PDT
onsenkuma says:
Stevign,
...and thanks for the story link as well. It reminded of at least one guy I knew in high school who was one of the most humble, laid back, funny and self-effacing cats you could ever talk to. He sounded like every other music lover I knew back then when music was like FOOD - that is, until he picked up his strat. Damn, that kid could play anything. I lost touch with him (and everybody else in that one horse town), but sort of expected I might hear great things from him musically at one time or another. Didn't happen, so I can only guess life got in the way...

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 8:07:00 AM PDT
stevign says:
Have you read the article yet?

Posted on May 24, 2013 5:38:54 AM PDT
B L T says:
Archie Shepp (USA)
Bennie Maupin (USA)
Odeon Pope (USA)
Claudio Fasoli (Italy)
Gianni Basso (Italy)
Håkon Kornstad (Norway)
Marius Neset (Norway)
Dimitri Grechi Espinoza (Russia)
Lionel Belmondo (France)
Yuri Honing (Netherlands)

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 4:32:34 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 8, 2013 4:55:29 PM PDT]

Posted on May 24, 2013 4:29:09 AM PDT
JBug says:
David Sanborn
Boots Randolph (R.I.P.)

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 3:34:50 AM PDT
onsenkuma says:
Stevign,
Thanks for the links. 'Chasin' the Gipsy' and 'Round Midnight' are great takes, 'cause I always prefer ballads and small group settings. Carter's tone has the feel of Ben Webster and Coleman Hawkins, for sure.

Posted on May 23, 2013 9:19:52 PM PDT
stevign says:
Chris Mercer - tenor, baritone saxophone

Chris did some really fine work on one of John Mayall's more jazzy Blues Breakers albums called "Bare Wires". It's some of the best Blues saxophone on record. Also, one has to absolutely hear his playing on Mayall's "The Death of J.B. Lenoir" from the "Crusade" album.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xaigev_the-death-of-j-b-lenoir-john-mayall_music#.UZ7o7Ern-vE

Posted on May 23, 2013 9:03:40 PM PDT
stevign says:
Gene Dinwiddie did some dynamite sax stuff for the great Butterfield Blues Band, especially on their album "In My Own Dream".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTUv0g-ArUw

"It also was during the 1960s that he was a member of the James Cotton Blues Band and worked in the 1970s as a session musician, amongst other musicians for, B. B. King, Paul Butterfield, Gregg Allman, Melissa Manchester and Jackie Lomax. In the 1990s, his work as a session musician continued. He can be heard, for example, on Etta James' Stickin' to My Guns (1990)." ~ Wiki

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2013 8:58:56 PM PDT
stevign says:
I agree, Fathead can fit in quite well with either a R&B or Rock group who wants to add some sax.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2013 8:56:43 PM PDT
stevign says:
onsenkuma:

Oh, I forgot. I would start with Conversin' With the Elders, then jump ahead to Chasin the Gypsy. From there you can go back or forward, he has a lot of really great albums.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2013 8:52:24 PM PDT
stevign says:
James Carter is the one in the grey suit in the 1st video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-00h49-YDE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIAbKuZTYIk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p38Fx7RE7Fc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWHbHaPJvL4

Here's a really excellent....and funny article about him. It's called "James Carter Ruined My Life".

http://harderbop.blogspot.com/2011/04/james-carter-ruined-my-life.html

Posted on May 23, 2013 6:57:07 PM PDT
Fathead Newman
JC

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2013 6:53:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2013 6:53:53 PM PDT
onsenkuma says:
Yep...knew it! Not too familiar with Mr. Carter. Any recommendation as a starting point?

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2013 6:17:54 PM PDT
stevign says:
re: "..I know I must be forgetting somebody obvious."

Yep. Coleman Hawkins, Cannonball Adderley and James Carter.

Posted on May 23, 2013 5:19:45 PM PDT
Eddie Harris, was pretty cool with the effects he used, and on Swiss Movement.

Posted on May 23, 2013 5:13:14 PM PDT
The Big Man, Clarence Clemons...

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2013 4:46:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2013 4:47:55 PM PDT
onsenkuma says:
I won't even try to avoid naming the usual suspects, 'cause they were or are the masters:

Charlie Parker
John Coltrane
Dexter Gordon
Joe Henderson
Art Pepper
Dewey Redman
Ornette Coleman
John Surman
Michael Brecker
Jan Garbarek
Sam Rivers
Joe Lovano
Wayne Shorter
Roland Kirk
John Zorn
Sonny Rollins
Klaus Doldinger
Dave Leibman....

...I know I must be forgetting somebody obvious...but...

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2013 4:31:18 PM PDT
Mike EB says:
Charlie Parker
Joe Henderson
John Coltrane
Wayne Shorter
Brandford Marsalis
Maceo Parker

and a shout out to Bobby Keys for being The Stones sideman for decades
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  54
Total posts:  124
Initial post:  Jan 5, 2013
Latest post:  Jun 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions