Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Are White People Reluctant to Criticize Rap Because They're Afraid of Being Called "Racist" ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 575 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 4, 2013, 8:07:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013, 8:10:37 PM PST
Stratocaster says:
belle isle says: "You must have lifted it off some conservative web site."

How on God's green earth is that "conservative" thinking?
I think that's most honest, logical and forthright speaking I've heard in years (whoever said it)!
Please. Really. I'm serious. I'd really like to hear your justification of conservativism.
What would be a liberal's list of 11??

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013, 8:17:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013, 8:18:33 PM PST
stevign says:
naldo:

That's how I interpreted it as well. In the end I really don't think it matters or that she cares, belle isle just thinks the advise itself is right wing propaganda. It will be interesting to find out how and why?

Posted on Jan 4, 2013, 8:22:22 PM PST
I'm a hardcore liberal and I thought that list was funny.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013, 8:37:35 PM PST
stevign says:
Did you agree with it as well?

Posted on Jan 4, 2013, 9:04:53 PM PST
Stratocaster says:
Michael Topper says: "I'm a hardcore liberal and I thought that list was funny".

Yes, funny AND true!

I'm just not seeing how the whole thing even fits into either liberal or conservative lines of thought . It's about the realities of life. Neither liberal nor conservative, as far as I'm concerned. It's not about politics. If it is, like I said, I've love to see that explained.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013, 9:06:41 PM PST
Are White People Reluctant to Criticize Rap Because They're Afraid of Being Called "Racist" ?

I'd hope not. Rap music is in every nook and cranny of the globe, practiced by every race and nationality. If one were to assume it offensive to black people to diss rap music, then they may as well start assuming the dissing of rap as offensive to Mexicans, Germans, Indonesians, Australians, et cetera, et cetera.

The irony, of course, is that to suggest the dissing of rap is offensive to blacks, is more offensive than any actual dissing of rap! By trying not to be racist by not dissing rap, they have become racist through outdated stereotype.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013, 9:16:49 PM PST
@stevign: absolutely. Life is a tough, dog-eat-dog world--thanks largely to our greedy Darwinian capitalist economic system, so prized by the right. ;) So you see, that list was sparklingly liberal after all!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013, 9:59:09 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "our greedy Darwinian capitalist economic system"

Can you think of a better system?

re: "So you see, that list was sparklingly liberal after all!"

Liberal, really? How so?

Posted on Jan 4, 2013, 10:29:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013, 10:30:34 PM PST
@stevign: "Can you think of a better system?"

That doesn't mean I can't criticize the one we have. Society would go nowhere if people accepted imperfect systems, just because a better one hasn't been thought up yet. The trick is to try to come up with a better one. And no, I haven't, but I do think about it. I think that capitalism would at least work better if we kept some of the regulations in place from the 40s-70s that produced the greatest period of economic growth this country has ever seen. That wasn't perfect, either--but what we have now, post-Reagan/Bush/Clinton, is a joke.

"Liberal, really? How so?"

I should have put another ;) after that statement.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013, 11:02:06 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "That doesn't mean I can't criticize the one we have"

Fair point, nothing is perfect.

re: "I should have put another ;) after that statement."

And I'm sorry I didn't get the sarcasm. Good one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013, 11:13:24 PM PST
Lew Archer says:
The list was great (and for anyone paying attention, full of wisdom, too).

just ignore the loser who whined about it. He obviously has some agenda.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013, 4:25:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013, 4:29:28 AM PST
Zaplightning says:
great post stevign.......rule 4 is the bomb!

Posted on Jan 5, 2013, 5:28:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013, 5:55:13 AM PST
Geezerguy says:
Zaplightning says:
great post stevign.......rule 4 is the bomb!

It is a funny list. However, just so you know... A main purpose of teacher tenure was not to protect teachers who were "too easy." It was to protect teachers from being fired for being "too tough" - primarily for raising the ire of wealthy/powerful community members if their "entitled" kids earned low grades. The administrator and the wealthy community members were often the members of the Rotary Club, country club, etc. These venues -post meeting or round of golf - gave the more powerful members of the community opportunities to "apply pressure" to the administrator. I speak in the past tense of tenure because teacher tenure has been pretty much gutted. Current teachers are responsible for student test scores. Also, tenure has been a cop-out by lazy administrators who are unwilling to do the work and documentation required to fire an incompetent teacher. I'M GOING TO USE CAPS NOW BECAUSE THIS REALLY NEEDS TO BE EMPHASIZED: TO GET INTO TEACHING REQUIRES FIVE YEARS OF COLLEGE EDUCATION AT A COST OF ROUGHLY $100,000 TO $250,000 FOR BOOKS, FEES, TUITION, ETC... AND WE HAVE NOT EVEN BEGUN TO TALK ABOUT THE FACT THAT THE TEACHER IS FORGOING FIVE YEARS IN THE WORKPLACE WHILE EARNING A DEGREE. (EXCEPT OF COURSE FOR THE PART-TIME JOBS THEY TAKE ON WHILE BEING STUDENTS.) ALL THIS EDUCATION BUYS THEM A CERTIFICATE THAT HAS NO EQUITY AND CANNOT BE PASSED ON TO THEIR CHILDREN. THEN, AFTER ALL THAT TIME AND MONEY INVESTED... HALF OF THEM QUIT OR ARE FIRED IN THEIR FIRST FIVE YEARS IN THE PROFESSION. Those teachers who make it remind me of the entrepreneur who starts his small business and sticks with it. Both the teacher and the businessperson are dedicated hard-working people who defy the odds because they have a dream. Anybody who can go into a classroom - public, private, or charter - and spend every day trying to get today's youngsters to learn deserves our admiration and respect. Just as we should respect the entrepreneur who works tirelessly to keep his business alive.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013, 7:03:11 AM PST
stevign says:
Thanks guys, I'm glad you found the rules to your liking and appropriate. I think it's hard enough to get good grades in school but to begin your life with an attitude deficit like the PC nonsense the Rules addresses is even harder. They say common sense isn't that common anymore (maybe it never was) and they are absolutely 100% right, Generation X had and Generation Y has a rude awakening if they think they can start work at the middle instead of the bottom.

Speaking of which; a few years ago there was a 60 Minutes segment on the new generation's attitudes, expectations and their search for work. Interviewing the young adults now entering the work force, showed just how entitled they actually felt and it was disturbing to say the least. As for what business owners thought of Gen X and Y from the job interviews they conducted, I can sum it up in two words.....shocked and appalled. I really hate to say this but it has become quite apparent that we Baby Boomers did a pretty lousy job when it came to parenting.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013, 7:05:25 AM PST
Geezerguy says:
re: The irony, of course, is that to suggest the dissing of rap is offensive to blacks, is more offensive than any actual dissing of rap! By trying not to be racist by not dissing rap, they have become racist through outdated stereotype.

Except that nobody on this thread -conservative or liberal - says he or she is reluctant to criticize rap to avoid being called racist.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013, 7:07:34 AM PST
stevign says:
In short, "Tenure" should be abolished.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013, 7:09:41 AM PST
stevign says:
We're special. ;~)

Posted on Jan 5, 2013, 7:14:58 AM PST
Geezerguy says:
stevign says:
In short, "Tenure" should be abolished.

Stevign: Understand this - All tenure means is that once a teacher has started his or her fourth year in a particular district, they must be given a hearing, and there must be a stated reason for the firing. A teacher I know once told me, "If I do my job right, I'll pi$$ off some kids and parents every single year." Tenure gave some protection to hard-working teachers who had to tell some powerful community member that his child's feces had an odor.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013, 7:15:45 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 5, 2013, 7:47:38 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 5, 2013, 7:21:00 AM PST
Geezerguy says:
re:Interviewing the young adults now entering the work force, showed just how entitled they actually felt and it was disturbing to say the least. As for what business owners thought of Gen X and Y from the job interviews they conducted, I can sum it up in two words.....shocked and appalled. I really hate to say this but it has become quite apparent that we Baby Boomers did a pretty lousy job when it came to parenting.

You get to fire the slackers... Teachers don't.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013, 7:31:46 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 5, 2013, 7:51:25 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013, 8:01:07 AM PST
stevign says:
re: "Why are you so infuriated by encountering "PC" beliefs?"

Really? How could you have missed all the examples of PC insanity that pervades our society today? How can anyone "not" be infuriated? ........Well, other than Liberals who absolutely love, condone and think up even more political correctness to infect the public with? As for your story about your son and his coach, that happens to Conservatives all the time and it should not be excepted or condoned by anyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013, 8:22:34 AM PST
Stratocaster says:
Geezerguy says: "Except that nobody on this thread -conservative or liberal - says he or she is reluctant to criticize rap to avoid being called racist."

Actually, that's not 100% true. One person did. Beginning of page 2. Here's the excerpt:

***Also, statistically, one is more likely to encounter violence at the hands of black Americans. This is not a racist statement, only a statistical one. So for reasons of personal safety, I would be less likely to confront a black person. I realize this stereotypes African Americans by reacting to a category (race) rather than recognizing the dignity of the individual; however, the probability of violence (or at least an unpleasant verbal exchange) outstrips any marginal utility I could gain by having a quieter environment, at least in the short run. I guess I'm a p*ssy, but I wouldn't put up with it all night, for instance.***

Technically, the comments were regarding someone playing Rap music "too loudly". But the "school of thought" is still there. And ironically, although he states he's not trying to be, his comments fundamentally ARE racist.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013, 8:28:14 AM PST
Geezerguy says:
Where I live conservatism is the "PC". The local progressives hold our annual conference in a phone booth. The Republicans could run a prairie dog and it would win this congressional district. The local college, the local government, the media are all controlled by conservatives. I'm not afraid of ideas I disagree with or people telling me they think I'm wrong. I've got plenty of friends here, but I wouldn't have any if that was my attitude. BTW the public can't be infected with PC if it doesn't want it. Sarah Palin hates political correctness unless you use the words "retard" or "dummy." Then, she's all for PC because of her child. My question is: Why would anybody want to insult her kid or other Down's Syndrome kids to begin with? I don't understand your rage. You are an intelligent, articulate person. There must be some way to advocate for your views without becoming nearly apoplectic. If we could just get together over a beer I could convince you... Except I haven't been successful with my local friends. Ah well, I hope you have an enjoyable, peaceful day.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013, 8:29:49 AM PST
Geezerguy says:
Stratocaster says:
Geezerguy says: "Except that nobody on this thread -conservative or liberal - says he or she is reluctant to criticize rap to avoid being called racist."

Actually, that's not 100% true. One person did. Beginning of page 2.

Sorry Strat, I missed that one. Still... One out of how many?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  70
Total posts:  575
Initial post:  Dec 27, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 17, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers