Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Rock music wasn't really good until The Beatles

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 205 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 1:29:08 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 27, 2013, 7:09:59 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 11:48:59 AM PST
stevign says:
Or a higher class of trolls.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 10:06:53 AM PST
MiBoDoCa says:
Most of the time Hinch's posts are very informative and knowledgeable.....except his silly Beatle covers are better than the originals comments!!!*

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 9:46:11 AM PST
Severin says:
I've seen threads about 'No' voting and those got lots of 'No' votes. Children must play I guess.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 9:43:23 AM PST
I agree. Many of the most knowledgeable contributors attract them.

Notice how quickly these recent posts got the predictable "no" votes.

Clearly nothing better to do but sit around waiting for someone they have some imaginary grudge against to post something so they can get their "rush" fix by hitting their "no" button.

Let's see how long they take for this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 9:24:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012, 9:25:09 AM PST
Severin says:
I've never seen any post which would cause a stable person to become so offended as to stalk their every posting. And I've seen some wackos on the religious threads that were downright vicious but the music threads are quite civil. I've always found Hinch's postings to be informative and knowledgeable.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 9:19:05 AM PST
What I find particularly disturbing is the fact that he/she/they have continued to persist in this weird activity, day in & day out, over such a long, extended period of time!

Obviously they must be getting *some* sort of bizarre satisfaction, maybe even "high", out their odd, aberrant behavior or they wouldn't continue doing it so obsessively every day.... day after day after day!

We can only hope that he/she/they will get the mental help they clearly need before they go out shooting a bunch of kids in a theater or something!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 9:08:41 AM PST
Severin says:
Maybe an image consultant could help you attract a higher class of followers. :-)

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 8:27:53 AM PST
Hinch says:
I almost always get at least 1-3 negative votes regardless of what I post. I know of several others who do the same. I now always discount at least 2 as 'troll' votes. I suspect they're usually from the same people. Some people obviously have too much time on their hands.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 6:55:15 AM PST
Geezerguy says:
Bonnie R. Beduhn says:
Dear Son of Flintstone

Good post. My mother had a wonderful record store from 1956 until sometime in the middle 60's. Everyone in town hung out there listening to Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, & Elvis. She always said that Elvis and the others put me through undergrad college and the Beatles put me through grad school. We had everything and everyone in that store in that store. 'Listening Booths' where you could stand and listen to the latest 45's and those bins where all the lp's were kept. I think those days are gone, at least in any big city like here in LA.
Thanks
Bonnie

The above post is a well-considered, intelligent post. Yet, when I finished reading it, I saw that nobody considered it helpful and two people considered it to be unhelpful. I don't get it. Unless somebody is being totally dismissive of another's views or totally off base, Why hit the "no" button? Watch the abundance of "no" votes ensue for this post.
BTW: In Denver, both Twist and Shout and Second Spin have listening areas. At Twist and Shout you may listen to any CD in the store, understandably you may only listen to previously opened vinyl. There may also be a store called Black and Read which has listening centers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 5:07:18 AM PST
Thank you Son of Flintstone!

Posted on Nov 30, 2012, 6:13:19 PM PST
Bonnie, I agree. The early rock and roll is simple and often lyrically not too interesting but everything has to start from some place. Not that I don't love 50's and early 60's rock n roll because I do. But because of the Beatles love of Buddy Holly, Littlle Richard, Chuck Berry,Carl Perkins ETC and somewhat more obscure artists like Arthur Alexander and LarryWilliams it allowed them to take those influences and make their own special brand of music. As you said, a natural progression. And did they over progress!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012, 5:36:45 PM PST
Dear Ian

I don't think the Beatles would have created the music they did if they hadn't first covered the 'greats' of rock. It gave them a base to start with, create some of their early songs with, and ultimately gave them what they needed to really explode and create what we have today in their music. It was a natural progression that resulted in some of the greatest music ever written.
Thanks
Bonnie

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012, 5:17:25 PM PST
Dear Son of Flintstone

Good post. My mother had a wonderful record store from 1956 until sometime in the middle 60's. Everyone in town hung out there listening to Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, & Elvis. She always said that Elvis and the others put me through undergrad college and the Beatles put me through grad school. We had everything and everyone in that store in that store. 'Listening Booths' where you could stand and listen to the latest 45's and those bins where all the lp's were kept. I think those days are gone, at least in any big city like here in LA.
Thanks
Bonnie

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012, 12:52:22 PM PST
tmoore says:
werranth413 - re: the video you wanted me to look at (about 50 posts ago before the ensuing arguments over word definitions) -
I do not know the song or singer --- but it looks like someone there did post what the song was.

I have to be cognizant that what is presented in a historical show (such as The History of Rock and Roll radio show I mentioned) are just a snapshot. For instance, about six months ago I heard a song called "Man In a Raincoat" (artist: Priscilla Wright) for the first time. That was a moderate single (I think top 20) in 1955. I had never heard it before, but I thought it was remarkably sophisticated. When those histories get to later years which I do remember, it is much more obvious those shows are snapshots because of what I personally remember from those years. Nothing can replicate "having been there".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 10:53:59 AM PST
Customer says:
huh? Are you married?

I have a friend DK, and she's a lovely girl...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012, 9:02:56 PM PST
Severin says:
It's certainly true, they arrived in a dearth of original, moving music, they brought a new model for others to imitate, they led the British invasion and wrote and played music that drew many listeners. They set trends in fashion, songwriting, interviews, brought meditation to the populace, etc. But if it was only that we wouldn't still be listening to them today, they wouldn't still be gaining new fans.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012, 8:49:58 PM PST
DK Pete says:
Timing is everything in the success or failure of any art, I think. In many ways, it was time for The Beatles to happen. This was something they had no control or awareness of as it was all taking shape. Their story is a true life fairy tale.

They made good music but this isn't, in and of itself, what made them what they became. Whether or not their music was any good can be argued forever and each side can easily come out a winner as far as I'm concerned.

What cannot be argued is all the elements which came together as they did in their favor hence resulting in a worldwide recognition/adulation which even they, themselves couldn't comprehend.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012, 8:41:29 PM PST
DK Pete says:
In that case, my friend, I step back and admit that I have learned from you. I mean that sincerely and in a good way.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012, 8:10:14 PM PST
D. Mok says:
> I own copies of their albums in the multitudes...every major book, piece of film footage...I have as much of it as I can get my hands on.

"Fanatics" are ones whose "love" of their idol is so overwhelming that logic, reason and civility go out the window. They attack anybody else who may have a less complimentary opinion of their idol, and they put every single person into a flat dichotomy: "Love" (fellow fanatics) or "hate" (anybody who doesn't think said idol is the greatest genius who's ever lived).

Whether you're a fanatic or not is up to you. The Beatles community has plenty of fanatics, as do the Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson communities. I own multiple copies of Taste of Joy's Trigger Fables. Doesn't mean I'm going to say anybody who dislikes Michele Gould's music is stupid.

I say again: If you're not fanatical about The Beatles, then what makes you think my criticism applies to you at all? Did I write, "Fanatics like you, DKPete"? If not, then why are you foaming at the mouth? If somebody writes, "I hate U2 fanatics", I certainly would not include myself in that group, and therefore have no reason to take offense.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012, 7:59:16 PM PST
Severin says:
That's an honest and level-headed statement. They benefited strongly from their timing, but that's been said before. The Beatles themselves said they weren't leaders of culture, just spokesmen. But even with all that aside people still buy the new releases, write and read the books about them and most of all still play their music. There's a degree of timelessness to most of their songs that stands up to repeated hearings. The Indian music is most obviously of its time and references to Wilson and Heath in 'Taxman'. Curiously those are all George's songs, but the rest have little or no topical references.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012, 7:57:19 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 1, 2012, 9:20:22 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012, 7:42:39 PM PST
DK Pete says:
You're going to have to define the word, "fanatic"...I'll put it to you like this...I own copies of their albums in the multitudes...every major book, piece of film footage...I have as much of it as I can get my hands on. This, for me, is for the love of the band...but not in the blind-sighted fanatical way which borders on laughability.

Rather than repeat myself, i ask you to read my last post to Donald Nelson.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012, 7:38:30 PM PST
DK Pete says:
Donald, for me, personally ("personally" being the operative word), The Beatles, in a word, are the best. Noone posseses the "magic" (in lack of a better word) which they do.

But that is my very SUBJECTIVE opinion. As a "serious" fan, I will be the first to say that OBJECTIVELY, there are others prior to them, during them, and following them, which wrote better lyrics, better melodies and, above all, were better musicians.

That's my objective point of view. I fully realize that they are not the greatest thing to ever happen in the world of music; in truth, their significance culturally, supercedes their musical greatness in many ways. That "significance" has far more to do with factors which were beyond their scheme and control than it does with the music in and of itself.

Of course, this is not to demean any greatness they did have musically. But speaking strictly in terms OF the music, as you said (and I, have said in the past many times), they were not-by ANY means-the end all and be all. It's fans such as myself who D. Mok calculatingly chooses to ignore.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012, 7:14:26 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 26, 2012, 8:20:37 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What are you listening right now? 4476 7 hours ago
Song Game - Part V 9982 8 hours ago
mesical reality artists TV and what became of them after 17 8 hours ago
Large CD collections 405 8 hours ago
Musical Diary 8651 8 hours ago
Those magnificent drums!! 168 8 hours ago
Why is Bob Marley so popular nowadays? 87 8 hours ago
** In The Time of Our Lives ** 567 8 hours ago
Montrose Remastered And Expanded 21 9 hours ago
best trippy psychedelic bands from 1966-68 552 10 hours ago
Alphabetical Song Game 1 4103 10 hours ago
The Cult - Hidden City 0 10 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  205
Initial post:  Sep 28, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers