Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Music forum

5 Favorite Songs Of The 1960's...No Beatles, Rolling Stones, Kinks, Or The Who, Pleeze

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2011, 1:43:33 PM PDT
Deli Babe says:
Dib,
Terrific memory, I think that was recorded live at the Atlanta Underground in 1967

Posted on Aug 5, 2011, 2:13:06 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 23, 2017, 4:10:01 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2011, 2:30:46 PM PDT
Deli Babe says:
When you opened this topic, you mentioned how most people don't really realize what a decade the 60's was musically.And just to show how wonderful the decade
was, that even the rush of the Beatles, and Motown and all the rest, the number
one song in 1964 was "Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime" by Dean Martin and
in 1965 Was "Strangers in the Night" by Frank Sinatra. The two old guys. they were
around 50.

Posted on Aug 5, 2011, 2:33:36 PM PDT
littleboots says:
The Sounds of Silence by simon and garfunkel
Maggie's Farm by bob dylan
Blues Power by eric clapton
Piece of My Heart by Janis Joplin
Dear Mr. Fantasy by Traffic

Posted on Aug 5, 2011, 2:43:24 PM PDT
Deli Babe says:
Knock on Wood, Eddie Floyd
Midnight Hour, Wilson Pickett
One Summer Night, The Danleers
Little Darlin, The Diamonds
Soothe Me, Sam and Dave

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2011, 3:00:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 23, 2017, 4:10:10 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2011, 5:39:32 PM PDT
Now that is a great list! "96 Tears," "Mendocino" and "Little Girl" are just stone classics! When did "Mendocino" get released?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2011, 5:41:19 PM PDT
You are a gracious and honorable person. Ever notice how many folks on boards like this get their backs up when somebody helpfully tries to correct a simple mistake? Thank you for having a great attitude!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2011, 6:15:35 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 23, 2017, 4:10:11 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2011, 9:57:56 PM PDT
mathew V. August: I have most of these tunes on a Toga Rock collection. I think Rhino put it out in the 90's. The Gentrys are on it for sure. I own Hey Baby on a Time Life collection 1962, its great! Polk SAlad Annie has been a favorite of mine since the early 80's. Rhino just put out a collection of Tony Joe Whites music on cd. I love his voice too. I even like Elvis's version, and I wasn't a huge Elvis fan.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2011, 10:05:55 PM PDT
Mathew V. August: You have such good taste from folk to psychadelia. Do you own all these tunes on album or cd? You have a fortune in great tunes or albums if you do?! I have been noticing your lists for the past year, and as Tony The Tiger says They're Great! I have only seen or heard The Holy Model Rounders on a folk special on PBS I think. Were they on The Easy Rider soundtrack? I thought I heard them on the soundtrack once or twice? You also list obscure tunes. I never heard Eric Burdons version of Mama Told Me Not To Come. I love his version of Paint It Black by The Rolling Stones though. He was great with covers back in the 60's and early 70's.

Posted on Aug 5, 2011, 10:10:06 PM PDT
J. Bartos says:
Glad All Over: Dave Clark Five
Psychotic Reaction: Count Five
Up From The Skies: Jimi Hendrix Experience
Dream a Little Dream of Me: Mamas & Papas
Maggie's Farm: Bob Dylan

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2011, 10:15:02 PM PDT
J. Bartos says:
Yes, the Holy Modal Rounders were on the Easy Rider soundtrack: "If You Want To Be A Bird". Alex Bennett used it as the closing theme of his all night call-in show on WPLJ in the early seventies.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2011, 10:31:01 PM PDT
Mathew V. August: Thanks Cleon. Do you live in New York? I lived on Long Island until 1984. WPLJ was the first FM station I listened to as a teenager, later WBAB, on Long Island West Babylon to be exact. I lived in Deer Park. I now live in Missouri. I also heard WNEW ,WPIX, WCBS, and WPLR FM but not in that order. I loved Scott Muny back in the 70's and 80's especially. I think he was on WNEW. I heard his Ticket To Ride Show in Arizona when I lived there. I think I heard Carol Miller on WPLJ back in the late 70's.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2011, 10:33:58 PM PDT
All great tunes Cleon. You have great taste in music, eclectic, but all the tunes fit together nicely.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2011, 12:19:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2011, 12:23:09 AM PDT
7 & 7 IS says:
To:Matthew V. August,
Thanks alot.I dunno, maybe it's because I love '60's music so much but it seems everybody on this thing's got great taste.A young lad could sample the post's around here and find lot's of stuff worthy of downloading, or whatever.Anyways yeah I do own all the songs I've posted either on Lp or Cd.I've been at it since I was 12.It's become a burden to deal with the space it takes to keep it all in.And it's like I'm not going to live long enough to listen to it all.I'm not a collector in the true sense of the word, more like a consumer and a completist.(Or like-what do they call those people who just buy and accumulate stuff and never throw it away-pack rat's! )But even though music is my life I'm constantly amazed at just how very little I actually know about it.Or anything else.

First time I heard The Rounder's was on The Fug's First Album and on Virgin Fugs.They were just helping The Fugs flesh out their sound on those early session's and gave them some of their tune's to record, they had their own album's and career.They were both speed freak's.They liked pot & LSD but they talk like they really loved amphetamine's.Peter Stampfel & Steve Webber, yeah.They said in the liner notes to "Moray ( more A as in more amphetamine's) Eels Eat The Holy Modal Rounder's" that they were in the studio and Webber couldn't reach the high notes required so he squirted some WD-40 down his throat and next take they took joila! perfeck. Anyway, enough about them and all the fun they used to have.I'm not trying to promote drug abuse, I'm just talking about this group.There's a DVD documentary out on them that I haven't seen. And that bird song Dunhill picked for Easy Rider wasn't the only good tune they had.

Eric Burdon did that Mama Told Me on his "Eric Is Here" album, and while I personally love it for some reason, it's not as radio friendly as 3 Dog Night's version, their's just seemed to gel better.His came before their's and is a little more like Randy Newman's.And Burdon doesn't really cut loose on it the way he should.But it's still my favorite version of that song.

Posted on Aug 6, 2011, 2:34:49 AM PDT
Rock instrumentals were popular in the sixties:

Walk Don't Run - The Ventures
The In Crowd - Ramsey Lewis Trio
Telstar - The Tornados
Out Of Limits - The Marketts
Miserlou - Dick Dale

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2011, 2:51:10 AM PDT
Bernard J. says:
I'm sure "Mendocino" came out in 1969.

Posted on Aug 6, 2011, 3:07:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2011, 3:08:27 AM PDT
Bernard J. says:
Five great Dave Clark 5 instrumentals:

Five By Five
Move On
No Stopping
Ol' Sol
Rumble ( A cover of the Link Wray song).

Another five from the same group:
Pumping
Chaquita (2)
Blue Monday
On the Move
All Night Long

Any one heard these?

Posted on Aug 6, 2011, 4:57:13 AM PDT
Dave says:
1. It's Good News Week by The Hedgehoppers
2. Eve of Destruction by Barry Mcguire
3. Pleasant Valley Sunday by The Monkees
4. Don't Let Me be Misunderstood by The Animals, Eric Burdon
5. Sky Pilot by Eric Burdon and The Animals

Posted on Aug 6, 2011, 6:22:53 AM PDT
1. Boss - The Rumblers
2. I'm Crying - The Animals
3. Dealer - Traffic
4. Please Let Me Wonder - The Beach Boys
5. Share Your Love with Me - Aretha Franklin

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2011, 7:08:45 AM PDT
Soul Experience was very underated. Great bass and drum parts. Doug ingle had a very distictive voice.

Posted on Aug 6, 2011, 7:12:13 AM PDT
D. R. Saxton says:
Incense and Peppermints (Strawberry Alarm Clock)
Whiter Shade of Pale (Procol Harum)
Friday on My Mind (Easybeats)
Walk Away Renee (Left Banke)
Things I'd Like to Say (New Colony Six)

Posted on Aug 6, 2011, 7:16:29 AM PDT
7 & 7 IS says:
Teach Me Tiger (April Stevens)
Scream Thy Last Scream (Pink Floyd)
Lolita Ya Ya (Nelson Riddle)
Baron Saturday (Pretty Things)
Kansas City Star (Roger Miller)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2011, 9:24:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2011, 9:39:21 AM PDT
Althea says:
Matthew,

re: "I love his version of Paint It Black by The Rolling Stones though. He was great with covers back in the 60's and early 70's".

Totally agree with you. I'm a *huge Eric Burdon and The Animals fan.

Five of my favs.....

It's My Life - The Animals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3GNKUE-d9c&feature=related

Eric Burdon & The Animals - When I Was Young (1967)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPKTQkkK3YM&feature=related

Eric Burdon - Animals - Inside Looking Out - Don't Bring Me Down( a 2-fer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xjeB0NFjyI

Goin' Down Slow - The Animals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzeoF_LTi8s&feature=related

Eric Burdon & The Animals - River Deep Mountain High (1968)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FkQ4qi_xqE&feature=related
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Musical Diary 7835 14 minutes ago
Song Game - Part V 7553 22 minutes ago
What are you listening right now? 4322 1 hour ago
1967: Every Rock Single/Album Reviewed 2865 1 hour ago
* The Music Of Our Lives 6.4 * 8849 1 hour ago
1965...Fabs And Boys Enter Psychedelia Start Up??..Norwegian Bird (This Bird Has Flown) The Beatles -- In The Back Of My Mind- -The Beach Boys 68 4 hours ago
Alphabetical Song Game 1 3428 5 hours ago
dennis wilson 6 14 hours ago
While You are looking for something to Post in this Forum, what are you listening to??? 5349 15 hours ago
6 months in, Trump's presidency is an unmitigated failure of historic proportions! 11 15 hours ago
Select multiple songs for removal, or, remove entire album 0 22 hours ago
The Official Soft Rock/Adult Comtemporary Appreciation Post!!! 398 22 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  219
Total posts:  1309
Initial post:  Jul 31, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 12, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers