Workplace Solutions Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc  Trolls Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Halloween Amazon Cash Back Offer Author Author Author  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now 20% off select baby clothing, gear, and more
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Record Store Day

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-44 of 44 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 8:03:45 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 24, 2012 10:58:27 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 8:19:43 AM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
Strangest thing . . .
I went online here and through two (turns out the same) secondary market sellers in WI, I got the Cohen and PiL EPs for a reasonable price instead of prices that left me bleeding profusely out of an orifice.

I guess we'll see how it goes when they arrive here. Not sure how many stops between Madison and DeKalb it'll take, but there ya go.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 10:22:01 AM PDT
S. Rice says:
Kind of defeats the whole purpose of Record Store Day don't you think? RSD was created to get folks to shop actual record stores. If you can't get to a store, you miss out. No big deal. Last year and my local store was selling reissued Tom Petty LPs for $20 (any good used store will have stacks of Tom Petty vinyl for 3-4 bucks) To me it's not worth it, but complaining that RSD is discriminatory to shut-ins is ridiculous.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 10:43:17 AM PDT
crater face says:
My biggest issue with RSD is a lot of releases are reformats of previously available material and at a crazy price, I shop for records every weekend so it was fun seeing more people in my local store, spending money,but a lot of punters seem to be on a nostalgia trip, why people want to buy the same tunes over and over again I'll never understand.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 10:53:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2012 1:27:36 PM PDT
In my neck of the woods, the mom-and-pop type record stores have gone bye-bye.

The larger companies (FYE, Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Barnes and Noble, etc.) are where I go if I want to get a CD immediately.

Otherwise, I've been buying my CD's lately through Amazon's Marketplace sellers.

As far as downloads are concerned, I do that for artists I'm more of a casual fan of. Most of my purchases have been from iTunes. A few have been from Amazon. Currently, I have about 2GB of digital music.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 3:17:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2012 3:18:19 PM PDT
R. Pievaitis says:
to s rice - maybe you want to try being frigging disabled you twit,as for being called a shut in is so offensive i cannot believe you have even dared use that term.i am not in prison you know -i have a broken spine and Parkinson's disease and if that means i must be shut in and not enjoy the delights offered to only able bodies or "norms" if i may call you that !
so whats the issue s rice why is RSD not discriminatory then- come on lets explain to the rest of the forum why you consider it not to be- when it obviously is as discrimination in the dictionary means =not available to all-unavailable to some- get it -you half wit !!!!
i wanted to buy the 2000 copy vinyl of CPA by steven wilson not some half baked tom petty re issue that you can buy anywhere.
good god the yanks strike again-another home goal for the delusional,i suppose you think shut ins cannot think too then hey !?!?!?!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 4:11:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2012 4:47:11 PM PDT
S. Rice says:
You can use all the exclamation points you want... just because you couldn't get to a record store, doesn't mean you were discriminated against. In fact you diminish actual cases of discrimination with those kinds of ridiculous claims. Now, if you had gone to a record store, tried to purchase a copy of CPA, but were told you couldn't because, "you're not able bodied enough to listen to Steve Wilson", you'd have a case. But you didn't... Next year get someone to give you a ride to RSD, you seem like a super nice person, I'm sure you can find a ride. Or else start "Shut-in Day" for people who shop from home.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 5:24:05 PM PDT
R. Pievaitis says:
thanks for the tip s rice,but you seem totally unable to think this point thru-if the album was for sale via an online outlet then it would be equal.most of the wrold as access to a pc somewhere libraries internet cafes etc etc but i am unable to drive any longer due to my meds,i do not own a car anyway,why would i ? and i am in such pain that any form of travel is very difficult to bear- now due to see ?
so that is why it is discriminatory-it was only available to able bodied norms !(beware exclamation mark arrives !!!!and again )so your constant use of the phrase of shut in is also very offensive to many many people who via no fault of their own- i was hit head on by a car at 70 mph-hardly my own fault or was it cos of your perverted way of thinking maybe i should not have actually been stood there at the time hey ?
so i can only hope and wish that you never have the misfortune to lose the ability to walk independently as you maynot make it past the 1st week-i have had this since 1997 and have had some majopr depressions because i was an able bodied norm of 36 when it happened-i was going to give my sister away at her wedding our own father died of undiagnosed cancer in 95.
have a good life s rice pray to your god/s and keep in doors as karma as a funny way of balancing out lifes !(whoops another one slipped by there -must be an obsession of mine-oh no another one !?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!).
btw don,t even try to make fun of my typing as i only have one finger that can type-so no capitals i cannot be bothered to waste the effort you do ot deserve it.i keep my energy for positive messages and not for plebs like you.one more comment about shut ins and i will report you for defamation and abuse-i maybe weak but i,m not stupid.
ps shut ins = in england where i reside,means to be locked in via a friendly landlord after normal pub hours have finished-to enjoy good chat and good conversation with like minded drunkards-so i vote for a shut in day anytime-but you are not invited.
have a nice day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 6:31:50 PM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
Blimey.

I didn't make it home for Record Store Day, but I'm getting to witness all of the hostility thereof online!

It's not a perfect system, admittedly, but the whole point of Record Store Day was to get people back into the shops and purchasing physical product as opposed to "pushbutton warfare" online or simply searching the filesharing sites not shut down by the ghost of J. Edgar Hoover (Honey, why is your nightgown floating?) It was meant to be a social interaction between music lovers, something one didn't get at a chain store or, "or this place!" (nod to Murray Head) where the only music you hear is Raymond Scott's "Powerhouse" in your head as you click on the mouse. And maybe while there, people would buy something else and remember, "Yeah, it used to be so much fun going in to record shops of a weekend."

Herein lies the problem(s) between theory and practice. What about the physically challenged? What about the geographically challenged? It's not just not having a shop nearby but what if the shop didn't get copies in of that record? What about those who work on Saturdays? What about those who can't leave the kids to queue in line? What about the speculator swine who have less than ethical connections and buy up the copies to resell on eBay at jacked up prices like the people buying Star Wars toys in the mid-late 1990s? (I'm still stunned about the PiL and Cohen discs, but there's no way I'm paying at least twenty dollars for a Joey Ramone song that, having heard it, explains why it wasn't released.) Looking at it typed out, the whole thing seems like a horrible idea and maybe all these years on, it's become a Band-Aid on an evisceration. It's more like Black Friday now.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 7:01:18 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 1, 2014 9:13:02 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 7:22:07 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 24, 2012 8:05:55 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 7:27:52 PM PDT
R. Pievaitis says:
i am talking about music you half wit and perhaps you might like to read my logic properly- what exactly is the bit of logic you do not understand-perhaps its you who are dumb and not me- i also take offence in this PC world of being called a shut in- if you could not walk due to no fault of your own would you like it ?
if not shut the frig up and start trying to broaden your own knowledge before you start called my thoughts dumb.
ps i did not start this discussion so why take it out on me for bringing this so called debate as my problem-you want to talk about music then fine talk to me i have over 10,000 albums and am a professional musician my self albeit a studio based one-i was signed to emi in the 80s with a heavy rock band called brik marine-we were one of the founding fathers of the NWOBHM-so you wanna talk music buy then talk.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 7:36:58 PM PDT
I'm surprised to see that RSD has started such arguments. Is it a perfect thing for everyone? Of course not, but I think it's much better than not having any record store day. A bunch of neat stuff gets released and it gets people into stores I'd rather not see die. For those who really want to hear those never before released tracks they usually make it online within 24-48 hours so people aren't completely out of the dark.

Also limited releases and collectors editions work on being somewhat discriminatory. Smaller pressings means not everyone who wants it is going to get it but spurs people to run out and buy it, just the nature of the business and I think the type of person who is buying LPs and 7" on vinyl would be very aware of this.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 8:46:48 AM PDT
ulijon says:
I went back to my local record store and they still had some left-over pieces from RSD, I picked up a double live Ozzy w/ Rhoads lp set with a low number(732) that I missed the first time.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 10:38:55 AM PDT
Right on Uli. That's the one i wanna see if they have today when i go to the store.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 10:43:32 AM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
Cohen EP showed up. Decent shape. Still waiting on PiL, but the arrival times of the mail fluctuate, depending on who's delivering that day. It didn't feel the same, but hey, at least I got it. Pretty much sounds the same as Happy Len has since Various Positions. Almost like outtakes of Cohen Live. Completist? Yes. Necessary? Absolutely not.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 11:05:52 AM PDT
ulijon says:
Good luck Anthony!

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 5:27:34 AM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
PiL disc also showed up! YAY! Haven't heard it yet, but I reckon I'll put it on while cleaning this weekend.

Posted on Apr 1, 2014 4:33:37 AM PDT
Suze says:
http://www.recordstoreday.com/

April 19, 2014 is RSD.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
More fascinating threads. It's amazing this place (forum) is still open. How about we.... 2527 9 minutes ago
These two classic/progressive rock groups each had two US Top 15 singles: the first for each peaked at # 13 and the second for each peaked at # 1 ... rank them separately or against each other! 23 13 minutes ago
Musical Diary 4207 25 minutes ago
Song Game - Part IV 2436 1 hour ago
While You are looking for something to Post in this Forum, what are you listening to??? 5083 1 hour ago
Johnny Thunders wants to know what you've been listening to. 4450 1 hour ago
Deluxe editions need to just die... 287 2 hours ago
Music People are Strange Movie People 34 3 hours ago
Axl Rose to replace Brian Johnson? 56 3 hours ago
AC/DC Lead Singers 25 3 hours ago
Your Favorite Song By . . . 2952 6 hours ago
★The Music of Our Lives 6.3★ 9883 15 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  Apr 21, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 1, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer