Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Music forum

RIP Andy Griffith

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-73 of 73 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jul 8, 2012, 5:12:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2012, 5:23:06 PM PDT
doodah man says:
He left a nice footprint on this earth. Sometimes that's all there is to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012, 6:47:44 PM PDT
Hinch says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012, 7:32:18 PM PDT
......"Why didn't Ron Howard use him in a movie? Were they not friends?"

I do not believe that just because someone is friends with the director that they would "want" to or "feel the need to be asked" to be in a movie. Why didn't Ron Howard use Goober in a movie, they were friends too?

Posted on Jul 9, 2012, 12:08:07 AM PDT
What a great actor Andy was. A true blue total American pastiche. The Andy Griffith show like previously mentioned was anchored by him but starred everyone else. Especially Don Knotts. But the town and everyone in it was the star and he was the sky. Great actor and straight man.

I really love his rock n roll movie just a classic. His acting and persona just intense. Really like Cassavetties style. Just an incredible movie A Face In The Crowd.

No reason to argue politics in this very polarized climate. If you love or hate Obama at the moment there is no middle ground or discussion to be had. No Tip O Neil havin' a pop with Reagan no LBJ with his arm around his enemies at the golf course. Better to talk movies or music than politics at the moment. My favorite show is Charlie Rose which may be the only place where a civilized discussion from any point of view can be had.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012, 1:36:52 AM PDT
Hinch says:
Anthony....good post, and you are correct.

Posted on Jul 9, 2012, 5:37:22 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
I had forgot that Barney died...did he finally shoot himself with his one bullett ;)
RIP DON!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012, 6:32:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2012, 7:18:47 AM PDT
Barney was the greatest, funniest TV character ever. The show created him, and he created the character. Once Don Knotts went into films, it was all over.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012, 7:05:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2012, 7:28:31 AM PDT
doodah man says:
Regarding Don Knotts... "Once he went into films, it was all over."
I liked him in "The Incredible Mr. Limpett". He also did stage, I saw him in a couple of plays, he was just as good of an actor there. "Three's Company"... nnnhhh.
I think it was hard for him to shake the 'Barney Fife' character mold that people expected of him.

and the others...
"Goober" - George Lindsey (December 17, 1928 - May 6, 2012)
"Aunt Bea" - Frances Bavier (December 14, 1902 - December 6, 1989)
"Floyd the Barber" - Howard Terbell McNear (January 27, 1905 - January 3, 1969)
"Howard Sprague" - Jack Dodson (May 16, 1931 - September 16, 1994)
"Briscoe Darling" - Denver Dell Pyle (May 11, 1920 - December 25, 1997)
"Otis Campbell" - Harold "Hal" Smith - (August 24, 1916 - January 28, 1994)

Betty Lynn (Thelma Lou) born August 29, 1926, is still alive, as well as Jim (Gomer Pyle) Nabors

Posted on Jul 9, 2012, 9:01:13 AM PDT
Dr. Mikey says:
Anthony, right on about politics. Let's stop that discussion or save it for Charlie Rose.

I agree that Don Knotts's portrayal of Barney Fife was the best in comic history, so good that he did get typecast as "Barney." Consequently, his films, though good, just could not deliver the punch that TAGS did -- although they tried to use some of the same jokes in his movies that they had used on TAGS. I saw Don on stage in the role of Harvey and he was brilliant. By that time he had aged a bit and it was easier to disassociate him from Barney. Lots of people respected his talent. They named a major street Don Knotts Boulevard is his hometown of Morgantown, WV, and had a big celebration a few years ago.

I don't know how many things have been named after Andy. For one, the Andy Griffith Theatre in Mt. Airy.

Posted on Jul 9, 2012, 9:19:02 AM PDT
Dr. Mikey says:
There are so many characters to consider from TAGS. I would mention two others who have left us:
"Ernest T. Bass" - Howard Morris (September 4, 1919 - May 21, 2005)
and most recently,
Doug Dillard of the Darling family (I think he was known as Doug in one episode and Jebban in another or was he Owther climbing the ladder?). Anyway, he was a great banjo player and quite innovative, contributing greatly to the "country rock" movement which originated in Calif. in the mid-60s.
(Mar 6, 1937 - May 16, 2012)

Posted on Jul 9, 2012, 10:50:30 AM PDT
B L T says:
"Helen Crump" - Aneta Louise Corsaut (November 3, 1933 - November 6, 1995)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012, 10:59:19 AM PDT
Severin says:
On the DVD "The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour - The Best of Season 2" Don Knotts appears on the Tea With Goldie segment, he's hilarious.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012, 11:33:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2012, 11:34:15 PM PDT
Well, Ron used his brother, Clint, several times in his films, didn't he?

Anyway, here's a good Griffith comedy CD:

Wit & Wisdom Of Andy Griffith

R.I.P. Mr. Griffith.

Posted on Jul 18, 2012, 6:38:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2012, 7:14:14 AM PDT
Geezerguy says:
Hinch, I always enjoy watching films by those Hollywood liberals such as Clint Eastwood, Mel Gibson, Bruce Willis, Sly Stallone, Tom Selleck, Jon Voight, Chuck Norris, James Caan, Kelsey Grammer, and Vince Vaughn... Oops, they're all righties. No matter, they make some pretty good flicks from time to time. (Let's not forget the Brown Bunnyman himself Vincent Gallo... another Republican.)

Posted on Jul 18, 2012, 8:46:43 AM PDT
Stratocaster says:
Rest in Peace Mr Griffith.
He and his TV show were a big part of my chlidhood. As a kid, he very much reminded me of my own father - firm but fair, wise beyond his years, always time to take the kid out for a day of fishing, etc

The man was 86 though. Why would anyone list his cause of death as a "heart attack"? His cause of death was that he was OLD! Can't people just die of old age anymore? We always have to look for something or someone to blame?

Posted on Jul 18, 2012, 11:10:22 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
My theory...everyone dies of a heart attack.
When the heart stops beating...say goodnight!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012, 11:16:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2012, 11:19:04 AM PDT
Doctors who are involved with research today believe that death is a disease and not a way of life. To find out what kills us will cure us from death. I raise my kids by using the image of Andy of Mayberry.

Posted on Jul 18, 2012, 11:26:20 AM PDT
Stratocaster says:
anonymous soul says: "Doctors who are involved with research today believe that death is a disease and not a way of life. To find out what kills us will cure us from death".

Well if that's the case, they better start sterilizing people real soon. This planet can not support many more humans.
And even if that were the case, you can't stop death. Death is a part of life. If man finds a way to stop aging/death, I believe mother nature will just find a new way to get the job done (as in - another super plague? a few more tsunamis? ).

Posted on Jul 18, 2012, 12:43:31 PM PDT
Dr. Mikey says:
A reminder that tonight, July 18 (Wed.) TCM is playing several Andy Griffith movies, 8 pm, I believe. I think they are starting with the amazing "A Face In The Crowd." Andy plays "Lonesome" Rhodes, a down-and out folksinger, who is discoved (in jail) by Patricia Neal, a reporter. It is a story of fame, the media, and the corrupting influence of power. It also features Walther Matthau and, in her first film, a young Lee Remick (yum). It is directed by Elia Kazan. It is a powerful film with an unbelievably great performance by Andy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012, 1:27:49 PM PDT
Gena Chereck says:
Great film!

And afterwards, they're showing 'No Time for Sergeants' -- which I haven't seen yet, but I recently read the book. Funny, funny stuff. :D

Posted on Jul 18, 2012, 1:34:08 PM PDT
Dr. Mikey says:
Gena, NTFS is really funny - Andy in a more typical career role. They are also showing Hearts of the West, which I haven't seen. Do you remember the TV series NTFS? -- not starring Andy, however.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012, 1:38:13 PM PDT
Gena Chereck says:
Nope, never seen the series. :\

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012, 4:58:54 PM PDT
When a person does get old, they may have other complications and these cause the heart to stop. Thus, it is well-known that anytime the heart stops, we call it a heart attack. Attack of the beating heart!

The No Time for Sergeants, was also developed into a theatre play. I saw the movie recently, and did not find it humorous.... not my type, that's all.

Saw Face in the Crowd, years ago, can't remember much, but need to see it again!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
* The Music Of Our Lives 6.4 * 9925 19 minutes ago
Song Game - Part V 8860 23 minutes ago
Musical Diary 8343 57 minutes ago
Alphabetical Song Game 1 3803 1 hour ago
George Harrison -The Greatest Beatle 234 1 hour ago
1967: Every Rock Single/Album Reviewed 3930 1 hour ago
Why is Bob Marley so popular nowadays? 28 1 hour ago
The ego of Ginger Baker 36 1 hour ago
What was the first CD you bought? 138 3 hours ago
Amazon Music Error 10 4 hours ago
What BLUES music have you been listening to lately? 379 5 hours ago
Michael Bolton vs. Christopher Cross 39 6 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  73
Initial post:  Jul 3, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers