Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Clarisonic Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon GoodGirlsRevolt GoodGirlsRevolt GoodGirlsRevolt  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Why are there so many anti-Beatle threads here?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 826-850 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 2:15:01 PM PDT
Not hatred good grief!. The world is bad and hard enough to worry about hatting one group over another. I don't want to project that eddie. I just don't like one group getting all the praise and us others who dont share their enthusiasm being put down when they don't agree. I feel they are overrated and people forgot how they really were back then. Other groups were right with them and even better, but just didnt get the recognition. <<made millions and millions of people happy>> LOL. sounds like today's popular music trends. GAGA, Beiber... Etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 2:16:23 PM PDT
No just your lack of knowledge on every subject.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 2:21:50 PM PDT
That is not at all true. I would give any group or artist their due if it was worthy. But it is the over the top fanatical views of people that make me angry. Never jealous. Good grief. What is there to be jealous of? You have listened to other groups such as the Beach Boys, Bee Gees, MJ, EJ, Chicago, Eagles, Journey, Foreigner, Etc.... The beatles have nothing over all of them. Geez. I am jealous only that I didn't or couldn't have lived in the 50's and seen Elvis Live.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 2:36:11 PM PDT
Says you that can't ever explain yourself. I have a lot of understanding. Sorry that you can't comprehend it. You overlook a lot of other people's views, if it is not your own you shun it or come back with your flippant putdown reply such as this. LOL.

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 2:38:14 PM PDT
Anti-social bratles club at it again with the no responses. Typical. I know who you are ! You are so obvious. LOL

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 2:39:35 PM PDT
Moptops were still ugly, and stupid. I am surprised people still listened to the after that. Well sheep will be sheep. LOL.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 2:46:14 PM PDT
The Beatles are the rooster whose fans believe causes the sun to rise. It is supremely arrogant and disrespectfull of Dylan, the Stones, Morrison, Clapton, the Kinks, the Who, and dozens of other great artists of the time to say they are unworthy to be compared with the Beatles, or worse, that they are derivatives of the Beatles. Great rock and roll has its feet solidly in the blues. The Beatles are a pop band with more in common with show tunes than the blues. I never hated them. They have some cool songs and are pleasant enough to listen to. It's their fans who I can't stand. As to the Beatles ushering in a new era, did the Beatles "cause" Ken Kesey and his acid tests?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 3:42:19 PM PDT
DK Pete says:
Joseph, The Beatles may have not ushered in an era; what they essentially were in many ways, was an unwitting reflection of certain things a great number of young people dared to express and older people feared. Many of the bands which followed, expanded on these fears and desires. What The Beatles did was to get the proverbial ball rolling.

The Beatles did not plan any of this; they simply came along at a period in cultural history which was ripe for who and what they naturally were as THAT PARTICULAR COMBINATION of four individuals.

As far as being my rooster, again-like many-you're ignorantly grouping all Beatle fans into into one huge lump. I'm a very big fan of The Who, The Stones, Clapton and most of his musical incarnations and Dylan. I am in awareness of the fact that the latter of the four I just mentioned led the way for all of them (as well as The Beatles) in ways which transcended 'the song". In a word, they are not my, "rooster". Music is. Period.

As far as them having more in common with show tunes than the blues -while that's a completely off-base analogy-even if it WERE what??? Does that make Blues more valid than show music as an art form or a form of expression?? It's all a matter of taste and very personal opinion-one form of music isn't more worthy than another. It's all there for the individual to decide.

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 3:43:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2012 3:50:29 PM PDT
I love these apples to oranges comparisons. But the sun came up this AM, and I do think it was because of Paul McCartney ;-) But what was the Transition of Venus? Was that the spirit of Linda floating by or is it Yoko sending us a message?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 3:51:50 PM PDT
DK Pete says:
Music Luver..thanks, I needed that (LOL!!).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 6:16:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2012 10:40:30 PM PDT
Hinch says:
@ELVIS FAN....Again you have things mixed up. I never have put you down for not liking The Beatles, and I cant think of anyone who has. I couldnt care less who likes or doesnt like The Beatles.

The reason people have a problem with you is because you are the one who insults and puts people down because they DO like The Beatles, or for any other reason you choose.

A couple of days ago on another thread you even insulted a very nice woman who is one of the few people who is always nice to you regardless of what you say. Why? Because she happened to be on a Beatles thread.

I can think of several who dont like The Beatles, who I and other Beatles fans get a long with just fine, so it must be some other reason people have a problem with you.

For someone who doesnt like The Beatles, you spend a lot of time on Beatles related threads. You wont see me and most others spending time on threads about artists they dont like. There are many artists and bands I dont care for, but I dont go around insulting them and their fans.

You claim to be such a big fan of Elvis. Why do the only two threads you've ever created have The Beatles in the title. I would think an expert on Elvis would have created an Elvis thread by now.

Maybe you're not as big a fan of Elvis as you claim.

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 8:27:55 PM PDT
Alex Sheehan says:
elvis fan, u do know the king didnt write his songs, lennon/mccartney were prob the best composers for their time.
they have done just about every style of music there was up until they split. its ok to hate the beatles, im sure they were played on the radio more than any group in history, and folks got tired of them! but think, they are still played on todays radio in 2012! they are played more than the stones, led zep. kinks, etc... they will die but their music will still be played when we are all dead. they only play elvis for an hour on sundays!

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 8:30:43 PM PDT
Fischman says:
Just another observation that helps explain things in terms of overhype and why does the hatred continue all these years later.

George Harrison and John Lennon both showed up RECENTLY in RS's list of top guitarists. Great songwriters and musicians, sure but among the best guitarists of all time? Please. As long as the self appointed media elite continue the hype, the haters will feel the need to respond and will continue to go overboard to the opposite extreme.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 10:33:47 PM PDT
Hinch says:

I dont know what you're talking about. The Beatles being my favorite has nothing to do with the other artists you named, all of whom I like very much. Dylan, The Stones, The Doors, Clapton and The Kinks are among my very favorites.

I dont know where some of you get this stuff. Most Beatles fans I know love and respect many artists and a variety of genres.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 10:34:59 PM PDT
Hinch says:

Great post! My thoughts exactly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 10:38:08 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Music Luver

Dont forget the 2 sons of God, Julian and Sean.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 10:42:27 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Lennon may not be among the very best, but Harrison surely is. Of course it's all a matter of opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 10:45:54 AM PDT
DKPete, I would describe it as the Beatles rode the wave rather than getting the ball rolling. My reaction is more to the ignorant, herd-like twits in the media than to the average fan. As I said, Beatles music is pleasant enough to listen to so I don't criticize anyone for being a fan. My blues vs show tunes analogy illustrates a couple of things: how can someone like Clapton have the Beatles as their major influence when the Beatles don't even play the same kind of music? Someone who idolized Big Bill Bronzey and Robert Johnson isn't going to style himself after the Beatles.
I believe it was Townes van Zandt who said "there are two kinds of music: the blues and Zipp-a-Dee-doo-dah.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 11:29:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2012 11:30:56 AM PDT
Eddie H. says:
Why would anyone hate a group of people who love the music of The Beatles(or any kinds of music), without knowing the person at all it is completely doesn't make sense, it's only music..what is the matter with some of these people! I could understanding not liking a certain kind of music, so don't listen to the music, we all have free will....but to create threads on how much you hate the people who like or love a certain kind of music...I find that sick!

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 11:32:06 AM PDT
Guitar playing is like a fingerprint and Eric Clapton will tell you just how great George was as the guy who set the pace in rock music. All you have do is listen and hear how good he was. John, was a player of feeling that knew his craft and he drove the band. No, The Beatles were not the greatest players on the planet but they were the perfect combination of people to change popular music and the bridge between the fifties and the seventies as the front-runners of a very groundbreaking decade known as the sixties. Nobody writes songs like Lennon and McCartney only because they don't have that degree of talent and imagination.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 6:04:08 PM PDT
DK Pete says:
Joseph, when The beatles came on the scene, as they say, the charts were dominated by girl groups, and sounds which ultimately became known as soft Rock; Bobby Vinton had the number one single when they finally broke in America. Also big at the time were the sounds of people like The Four Seasons, Jay and The Americans and the surf Pop of The Beach Boys.

I'm not criticizing any of these artists as they were each valid in their own way. That said, however, how was this-even remotely-riding the wave?? Not only was their music different, but they looked different and behaved differently from the standard Pop/Rock and Roll star of the time period.

You're saying they were pleasant enough to listen to and you don't criticize anyone for being a fan. Well, my good man, how kind and generous of you. Your analogy is still completely off track and, to be honest, you come off as a bit of a musical snob.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 6:11:21 PM PDT
DK Pete says:
Hinch, you're right, it is a matter of opinion. But, while everyone is entitled to their own preferences, there is also a matter of objectivity and understanding the contributions of a particular individual even if you don't necessarily like them or their playing style.

I've brouhgt this example up on other threads: many years ago, a musical friend of mine (and fellow musician) made the statement that, in his own way, Harrison was just as great a guitarist as any of the so-called "heavyweights"..meaning, Clapton, Hendrix, Page. I understood exactly what he was saying. Many wouldn't...and don't.

A m,usical friend of mine

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 7:29:49 PM PDT
Steelers fan says:
Clapton did play the same kind of music as the Beatles, directly and indirectly. He collaborated with close bud George Harrison ("Badge"), and guested on the most famous uncredited guitar solo in rock history ("While My Guitar Gently Weeps"). His obsession with George's wife (later his, as well) Pattie directly resulted in "Layla". In a general sense, the Beatles helped to get Clapton going in finding his own creative muse.

For all his genuine love for the blues, Clapton is no blues purist. He's as pop-rock as any musician who ever lived, frequently returning to the motherlode.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 8:17:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2012 8:18:06 PM PDT
DK Pete says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 8:28:24 PM PDT
tr fan says:
You have to remember that, as hard to believe as it sounds, there's nobody under forty who remembers the Beatles, and nobody under thirty who remembers Elvis. I wonder how many of the Beatles and Elvis haters are in this category?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
* The Music Of Our Lives 6.4 * 636 27 minutes ago
More fascinating threads. It's amazing this place (forum) is still open. How about we.... 2893 30 minutes ago
Musical Diary 4507 34 minutes ago
Song Game - Part IV 3940 1 hour ago
There are only 5 Police albums, so.... rank 'em!! 26 1 hour ago
A Matchup Of Albums That Have Each Gone 8X Platinum: Led Zeppelin (1969) or Aerosmith's "Toys In The Attic" (1975) 49 1 hour ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Four) 2432 2 hours ago
Unreleased Johnny Cash album releasing March '14 3 2 hours ago
There can be only one: Pat Benatar or Joan Jett? 111 3 hours ago
Underrated artists of the 90s 64 3 hours ago
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees 2017 159 4 hours ago
Any fans of Arthur Lee, Love and the 'Forever Changes' album ? 61 5 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  146
Total posts:  1447
Initial post:  Jan 23, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 2, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers