Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now FFII_gno
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Jethro Tull: Massively underrated

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-116 of 116 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012, 5:38:30 PM PDT
I don't think anybody should squirt too many tears because Jethro Tull isn't in the R n R Hall of fame. Does anyone anywhere have any respect for that organization? Jethro Tull has made many studio albums. Sold millions and millions of records and played in front of millions and millions of fans. And is still around today. Badges? They don't need no stinking badges.

Posted on May 5, 2012, 6:15:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2012, 6:18:10 PM PDT
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame continues to make itself look more and more foolish the longer bands such as Tull, the Moody Blues and Rush are left uninducted. It's really a shame that artists such as these are left out year after year. I lay a lot of the blame at Jann Wenner's doorstep.

Posted on May 5, 2012, 8:20:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2012, 8:21:43 PM PDT
greenblade says:
That Tull is not in the Hall of Fame is ridiculous. At least they have been honored in ways that many of the inductees have not been.
IA was on the cover of Time in 1973 and JT are Grammy recipients. Then, as many have mentioned, millions of fans have loved them for 40+ years. Can the Faces really say that?

Just want to to recommend Thick As A Brick 2. It's not released by Jethro Tull, but by "Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull." It does bother me that Martin is not on it. But having said that, it's pretty great! It is at once an homage, an echo, and an extension of TAAB.
Don't sit this one out.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012, 8:30:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2012, 8:50:04 PM PDT
It's an impossible to get an answer to this question but I'd like to know how many Tull fans are musicians themselves? Or at the very least have a educated ear. JT is sophisticated music. The time changes, the key changes, rhythm figures all over the place. That could be what keeps them from becoming more popular or out of the HOF. And I agree with those who post that the HOF is a joke. They just got Alice Cooper in. The HOF really doesn't mean much to me

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012, 8:31:52 PM PDT
sue says:
i agree, totally jann wenner's agenda. that's why it's not the be all and end all of opinions about music......

....to me, tull is on my top ten groups of all times.....ian anderson is the real top ten, a true original and a great musician.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012, 8:41:14 PM PDT
You might be surprised. Younger people (some) will seek the roots of what they're listening to now. Gradually they trace back to find origins of their current play list. 9 out of ten they are going to find some initial elements in older songs related to Their current library.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012, 8:49:57 PM PDT
I certainly have no argument with Small Faces/Faces being in the R&R HOF. But Tull belongs there way ahead of Guns 'n' Roses, who had one truly excellent album and whose entire significant career lasted about five years. And while the Beastie Boys might be clever, amusing, etc., they don't deserve to be in the Hall ahead of Yes, Tull, and several others.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012, 10:47:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2012, 10:52:02 PM PDT
Hinch says:
>Tull fans tend to be a secret society who fully understand and appreciate Ian Anderson's genius<

So non-fans just dont understand him and appreciate his genius.

I think "underrated" and "overrated" and "genius" are overrated and overused words. All it means is most people either like or dislike someone more or less than someone else thinks they should.....and I dont think it takes a genius to write clever lyrics or good music.....besides good and bad being a matter of opinon.

I do like some of Tull's music

Aqualung
Locomotive Breath
Thick as a Brick
Bungle In The Jungle

I know there are more I like but I just cant recall at this moment. Ive never been good at remembering the names of individual songs unless it's someone I really like a lot. Even with bands I like moderalty such as Zep, I can listen to an album and not know the names of every song. I guess that coms from being an album person.

I dont think anyone who knows anything about music looks on Jethro Tull as a novelty act. They are a unique band who make music not appreciated by a lot of people. That doesnt make it good or bad. It is what it is. I actually have a lot of respect for Tull, even though Ive never been a big fan.

Posted on May 6, 2012, 12:05:49 AM PDT
I have never under rated them but that is because they are great to me. They are almost perfect up through Songs From The Wood. And then after that they are just real good. I really dig Minstrel a lot. Side one rocks big time and side two is acoustic and still rocks said the pigmy to the whore. ;-) To me they are a all time top ten rock band rating up there with Beatles, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Elton, Stones, Yes, The Who...

Posted on May 6, 2012, 5:49:22 AM PDT
Jumped in the truck yesterday and CROSS EYED MARY was playin`on AM radio !!!!!
Has just as much punch as it did playin` in our high school cafeteria in the early `70s.

I STILL listen to : Stand Up, This Was and Aqualung quite frequently !!!!!

and so does my 21 year old son...............R.K.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012, 8:10:14 PM PDT
Captain says:
Donovan only just now got in? Hell, the Beatles used to go to his shows.

Posted on May 6, 2012, 8:22:52 PM PDT
sue says:
i know, the beatles and donovan were friends, and learned from each other in india and in the uk. one of my fav comments about donovan is from john lennon- he said about donovan, "look, the man's a poet." that's really it, he's a troubador, and his many beautiful songs weren't enough to make it into the r and r hall of f earlier in his career? hmm......

Posted on May 7, 2012, 12:13:00 AM PDT
Jethro Tull is an insanely talented band. No matter who is in the band at any given time they deliver. I have always really loved the song "No Lullabye". For that matter Heavy Horses has also always been my favorite album too. But I can say outstanding things about just about every album less Under Wraps and A.

Posted on May 7, 2012, 7:40:09 AM PDT
I just purchased Divinities, Rupi's Dance and Aqua Lung 40th .. love the flute playing.

Posted on May 7, 2012, 1:53:21 PM PDT
Vaughan says:
Love Tull. But couldn't care less about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I mean, so what?!?!?!?

I also love how some people earlier in the thread were ignorant of the fact that Tull were, in early days, very much a chart band. It's just that Tull got better while the charts got worse. :)

Posted on May 7, 2012, 6:09:47 PM PDT
@Vaughan: yes, Tull were hugely popular and had a lot of chart hits in the UK in their first few years, and the albums were always massive sellers, several of them topping the charts. I think "Stand Up" topped the UK charts and both "Thick As A Brick" and "A Passion Play" topped the Billboard charts in the US. There's no way in today's musical climate that two consecutive albums comprised of a single 45-minute song each would ever come close to the top 50 now!! But not only did Tull do it in the US, but Mike Oldfield managed it with "Tubular Bells" at the same time. A lot has changed in 40 years.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  63
Total posts:  116
Initial post:  Apr 21, 2011
Latest post:  May 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers