Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM
Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Favorite Mysteries taking place at Christmas . Any setting

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 821 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 28, 2008 6:04:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2013 11:11:25 AM PST
foxglove says:
This is the sixth annual reopening of Mysteries ( and thrillers) set at Christmas, any type and any setting. I actually started this discussion in late winter of 2008 and then resurrected it in late 2009, 2010,. Your reason for enjoying any mystery is special.
You will see that this thread began as a recommendations thread but I am no longer happy with that .Let's make it more of a discussion.

This discussion is for all mysteries and thrillers that are set during the holidays. It is not limited to those books with a "Christmas" theme

I for example read a mystery by Ake Edwardson called SUN AND SHadow, which is a dark thriller/police procedural and will not give you warm and comforting feelings. I am interested in diverse types of books that share a time of year. I think that a good list should have recommendations for all types of mystery reader interest. I post about this book later.

I do not use a kindle so if you do please help by giving feedback about those Kindle only books so we can cater to everybody

Please feel free to post about a book even though it has already been mentioned. I love to hear from you about it. List your favorite five if you'd like.

By Amazon policy all self promotional posts will be reported as abuse and Amazon will delete them.
Any of you authors who would like to post as readers are welcome to provide a link to your book information

I will admit that the baskets with Christmas mysteries that appear only between the third week of November and the second week of January are a big part of my Family Christmas tradition.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2008 2:15:33 PM PST
I know two collections of Sherlock Holmes pastiches, "Holmes for the Holidays" & "More Holmes for the Holidays," but unfortunately, except for the last story in the second book ("The Human Mystery" by Tannith Lee) I don't find them exceptional. There ARE two Lord Peter Wimsey short stories set @ christmas, & they're delightful, but I can't recall the names @ the moment. Still, if you get the "Lord Peter" short story anthology, you'll have them both, & the stories are all well worth reading.

Oh yes, & the original SH story "The Blue Carbuncle" is set right around the holidays, though not much is made of that beyond a cryptic "Compliments of the Season."

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2008 2:51:24 PM PST
I have enjoyed Anne Perry's Christmas stories - set in various eras and always
very readable. She seems to put one out every year: A Christmas Journey (2003),
A Christmas Visitor (2004),A Christmas Guest (2005), A Christmas Secret (2006) and
finally last year's offering, A Christmas Blessing. We know there will be a happy
ending, but the characters seem very real. Check them out!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2008 9:37:48 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 18, 2011 5:41:56 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2008 10:44:07 AM PST
Jean Jeffery says:
I am particularly fond of "The Nine Tailors" set around a Church bell tower, but then being a bellringer myself I suppose it would be strange if this didn't appeal to me. It is set at the end of the year when the bells are ringing in the New Year and is a Lord Peter Wimsey story. JJ

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2008 5:51:13 AM PST
Kasey Michaels, Bowled Over. It's the sixth in a series, so you might want to look at her earlier Maggie Kelly mysteries also.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2008 7:45:31 AM PST
foxglove says:
Persia,
I mistakenly replied to you in another discussion thinking that I was reply to you in this one. Your mystery is a perfect fit for what I love in mysteries. I went into more detail in the other post as to why this is. I will be reading this during the 08 Christmas holiday season

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2008 8:20:18 AM PST
foxglove says:
Hi Jean,
You know, I've always been fond of this Whimsey also. By some strange disconnect, I never connected it with Christmas until you just pointed it out to me.

Thanks a lot

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2008 8:26:47 AM PST
foxglove says:
dear Late Night Reader,
Which of these Ann Perry's would you start with? I ask because I am totally unfamiliar with her work.

Thank you for your recommendation

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2008 8:36:44 AM PST
foxglove says:
dear Mad Blonde,

I am going to seek these Short stories out. I didn't know about them but I have always enjoyed Sayers.

Well naturally, SH is always wonderful. I do know this story and I love it and not just because it is SH but also because it really brings you into Victorian Christmas which is more subdued than ours and is a less affluent time than ours. ( At least in the Western World.)

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2008 9:56:19 AM PST
Dear foxglove,
I too love Christmas Mysteries and I can recommend a website you will love, www.cozy-mystery.com You will find many many mystery suggestions to choose here, by themes. I myself am the author of a Christmas mystery, Christmas at Cliffhanger Inn by Christine E. Collier you may enjoy. It's the cozy variety but very Christmasy! Happy reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2008 1:38:51 PM PST
foxglove says:
Virginia,
I have never heard of this series written by Kasey Michaels before reading your post. Bowled Over does sound wonderful. Thanks for this suggestion I like the sound of it

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2008 1:41:50 PM PST
foxglove says:
Dear K. Collier

Thank you for calling my attention to your Christmas at Cliffhanger Inn. I will love reading it while my Christmas Tree is up this coming December

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2008 8:12:33 AM PST
Lydialynne says:
Hi Foxglove,
I have some ideas for you -- Charlotte MacLeod's "Rest You Merry" is wonderful. It's part of her Peter Shandy series, and after reading it, you might want to read the rest of the series as well. Other good ones are "A Carol for a Corpse" by Claudia Bishop (Hemlock Falls series), "Kissing Christmas Goodbye" and "A Highland Christmas" (both by MC Beaton), "Aunt Dimity's Christmas" by Nancy Atherton, Jill Churchill's "The Merchant of Menace" (hilarious), several of Mary Higgins Clark's, including "The Christmas Thief", "Santa Cruise", "All Through the Night", "Deck the Halls", "Silent Night", and "He Sees You When You're Sleeping", Monica Ferris's "Crewel Yule", Shelley Freydont's "A Merry Little Murder", John Grisham's "Skipping Christmas", Philip Gulley's "The Christmas Scrapbook", Joan Hess's "O Little Town of Maggody" (one of my favorites) and "A Holly Jolly Murder", Jan Karon's "Esther's Gift", "The Mitford Snowmen", and "Shepherds Abiding", Valerie Malmont's "Death, Snow and Mistletoe", Margaret Maron's "Rituals of the Season", Sharyn McCrumb's "The Rosewood Casket" (fabulous!), Joan Medlicott's "A Covington Christmas", Leslie Meier's "The Christmas Cookie Murder", Ann Ripley's "The Christmas Garden Affair", Corinne Holt Sawyer's "Ho Ho Homicide", and finally, Barbara Burnett-Smith's "Mistletoe from Purple Sage". Happy holiday reading!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2008 8:40:51 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 13, 2011 10:37:20 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2008 9:33:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2008 9:34:47 AM PST
Jean Jeffery says:
Lydialynne
You certainly have provided a feast of Christmas "goodies"!! Can't wait to get my hands on some of those. Many thanks. Jean Jeffery

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2008 2:41:52 PM PST
Lydialynne says:
Jean -- Please let me know when you find any of these and read them, and let me know if you find any others in your search. I'm a Christmas mystery fan myself. Thanks! Lydialynnne

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2008 2:51:02 PM PST
Jean Jeffery says:
Will do Lydialynne - Jean

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2008 5:03:48 AM PST
foxglove says:
Dear Lydialynne,

Your list is exciting and enticing. I just can't wait to start.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2008 5:16:04 AM PST
foxglove says:
I would just love it if we all shared our impressions after reading the ones that are new to us.

In this spirit, I will give you my recommendation for K.C. Constantine "Upon Some Midnight Clear. A Christmas must have ,although it is not a Mystery is Truman Capote's "A Christmas Memory"

I have found two books that I had never heard of but interest me one is Mark Schweizer's "The Alto Wore Tweeds" and Constance and Gwen Little "The Black Headed Pins".

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2008 7:14:55 AM PST
Lydialynne says:
Foxglove-- I forgot one that I read not long ago that was excellent -- Fannie Flagg's "A Redbird Christmas". I hope you enjoy this one as much as I did.
Lydialynne

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2008 10:56:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2008 11:01:22 AM PST
G says:
The Twelve Deaths of Christmas by Marian Babson is a strange, haunting little book with (obviously) a Christmas theme. It is fun to see how the author structures it; she must have taken it on as a challenge to her ingenuity.

May I also suggest my book, Death of a Cozy Writer? It has a definite Christmas theme.

Cheers!

G.M. Malliet

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2008 8:44:47 AM PST
The Twelve Deaths of Christmas is the one I was going to recommend. It's very enjoyable.

Also, Kate Kingsbury has written some Christmas mysteries. I haven't read them, but the covers are nice, so they may be good.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2008 10:21:08 AM PST
Lydialynne says:
Thanks, Reader. I've already added Marian Babson back to my list -- perhaps I'll enjoy this book better than I have her "cat" books. And I'll try Kate Kingsbury, too.
Lydialynne

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2008 5:24:41 AM PST
Hi,
You might want to try Death in December by Pam Broderick. This is the first in my series on Emily Sinclair.
Pam Schiffbauer
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 33 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  131
Total posts:  821
Initial post:  Jan 28, 2008
Latest post:  Dec 16, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 29 customers

Search Customer Discussions