Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Alexa on Mobile Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now ToyHW17_gno
Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Most frightening TV episode ever, "The Jar" Apr 12

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 8, 2012, 7:31:10 PM PDT
S. Waas says:
Most frightening TV episode ever: Hitchcock's "The Jar" this Thurs Apr 12.

Thursday, Apr 12, Encore/Suspense channel is showing what I consider the single most frightening TV episode ever, Alfred Hitchcock Hour's "The Jar", from a Ray Bradbury story.

Note the show starts 10min earlier than most AH episodes, 9:50 CT. Start your recorders, gang, and be ready.
Your reply to S. Waas's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Apr 9, 2012, 11:43:44 PM PDT
Jennifer says:
"The Jar" is all that and more. It is also excellent--and extremely distrubing--drama. I would also like to put in a vote for "To Serve Man," as at least the second most frightening TV episode ever--from Rod Serling's Twilight Zone. Anybody want to start a list?

Posted on Apr 10, 2012, 12:12:10 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 27, 2012, 4:01:47 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012, 3:58:35 PM PDT
S. Waas says:
"To Serve Man" was pretty good, but y'know, predictable (if you were an SF/horror fan). Saw it a couple years ago and had to laugh, that these cannibal aliens are keeping the guy well-supplied in cigarettes. Maybe a flavor enhancer?

Lots of folks will also pick the episode where Patrick Stewart is in this airliner during a storm and sees William Shatner out on the wing. Now that would scare anybody!

Many consider TWZ as a great SF series but if you look strongly at the episodes, few are genuine SF. Most are fantasy, some are horror. And, we of course only tend to remember the "best of" and forget the turkey episodes. I think I've seen, oh, 236 TWZ eps where Shelly Berman wears a suit w. thin tie, a fedora hat, smokes all the time, and is a snarky NYC executive who gets transported back to the "golden era" of 1903.

(Ah, the "good old days" -- er, with smallpox, polio, typhus, racist laws, gender bias... Come to think of it, I'll take 2012 with all its faults, thank you! -- rant concluded)

The series "lights out" was also a pretty good suspense/horror show. I'm sure if I were to search for it, I'd find the exact episode and it may not really be from Lights Out, but it was very scary -- a daredevil guy wagers thousands he can't spend all night in a haunted house, and finds enormous slug-creatures stalking him.

Not really scary but one of the greatest TV episodes ever, and I cannot remember the series name, was a modernization of "Christmas Carol" where Sterling Hayden played this bitter rightwing extremist and is visited Christmas Eve by spirits of his dead son and others.

Episodes that I still watch again and again, via my DVD, include truly one of the finest dramatic episodes of Trek, SF, or any other venue, TNG's "The Inner Light". just had to mention, off topic...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012, 4:04:25 PM PDT
S. Waas says:
Another Hitchcock Hour episode that I'd also rate "extremely disturbing" is "Where the Woodbine Twineth" -- the episode about this young girl who's in this old south mansion and cared for by her naggy aunt, and the girl finds a mysterious playmate. Disturbing is exactly the name for that episode and I'd recommend you keep an eye out for it.

Btw, my girlfriend's NEVER seen "The Jar" so she's coming over Thursday night. I know full well what this will mean, too. She'll be outside on the patio chain smoking and cussing half the night afterward. heh, heh

Posted on Apr 11, 2012, 6:21:48 PM PDT
JaeJ says:
Oh! The Twilight Zone episode that most freaked me out is the "the Hitchhiker." Impossible not to be driving alone, late at night, on deserted highways, and NOT think of this one!

Posted on Apr 12, 2012, 10:13:04 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 13, 2012, 9:30:26 AM PDT]

Posted on May 9, 2012, 2:59:30 AM PDT
Scariest thing I ever saw was an ghost story in the 70's in the UK - can't remember what it was called. It featured a ghostly character who was beginning to become real. The last scene showed him slowly descending the stairs. I was alone at the time, in a big empty house, and suddenly the stairs began to creak...

Posted on May 14, 2012, 11:11:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2012, 8:36:54 PM PDT
Dad315 says:
The Alfred Hitchcock Hour episode, "An Unlocked Window"', is pretty creepy and suspenseful - much more so than an usual episode in the series.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Apr 8, 2012
Latest post:  May 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.